Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
as LeBron Nears
a Huge Moment
Feb 5, 2023 7:20 AM CST
NBA Adjusts TV Schedule as LeBron Nears a Huge Moment
Lakers star could break Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's scoring record on Tuesday
- LeBron James scored 27 points Saturday night for his Los Angeles Lakers, a pretty routine outing for the superstar except for one thing: He is now just 36 points away from the NBA scoring record of 38,387 points held by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, reports Yahoo Sports . The 38-year-old has a...
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Pans
HBO Series as 'Drearily Dull'
Apr 20, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Pans HBO Series as 'Drearily Dull'
The former Lakers star says 'Winning Time' is 'deliberately dishonest'
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar slammed the HBO series
Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty
for being both "deliberately dishonest" and "drearily dull." The review appeared on the Lakers legend's personal website Tuesday, per
The series is described by HBO as "go[ing] back in time...
One NBA Legend
on COVID Meme
Dec 29, 2021 11:41 AM CST
One NBA Legend Schools Another on COVID Meme
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says LeBron James' Spider-Man post was 'blow to his worthy legacy'
- LeBron James asked for advice on COVID, and he got it—though he may not have liked the answer he received from a fellow basketball great. The hubbub started on Christmas Eve, when the 36-year-old Los Angeles Lakers forward posted a cartoon on Instagram that showed a variation on the...
Basketball Legend's Son
Sentenced, and DA Isn't Happy
Nov 12, 2021 9:23 AM CST
Basketball Legend's Son Sentenced, and DA Isn't Happy
Adam Abdul-Jabbar, son of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, stabbed a neighbor over trash cans
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 29-year-old son was on Tuesday sentenced to six months in jail for stabbing his 60-year-old neighbor after being scolded about taking in some trash cans last June. Prosecutors had wanted Adam Abdul-Jabbar to serve seven years and opposed the plea deal offered by the judge, a...
Abdul-Jabbar Has Strong
Words for NBA's Unvaxxed
Sep 28, 2021 7:34 AM CDT
Abdul-Jabbar Has Strong Words for NBA's Unvaxxed
Basketball great says NBA should 'remove them from the team' unless they get their shot
- At the moment, the NBA isn't requiring that its players get vaccinated against COVID. But one big name in basketball thinks the league should, and he's lobbying for strong repercussions for those who don't. "The NBA should insist that all players and staff are vaccinated or...
Is Selling His
Feb 28, 2019 3:55 PM CST
Why Kareem Abdul-Jabar Is Selling His Trophies, Rings
Proceeds will help with STEM project
- Basketball great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has decided four of his NBA championship rings and other memorabilia can be put to better use. So rather than continuing to display them at home, he's selling them to the highest bidder, CBS reports. Much of the auction proceeds will go to his Skyhook...
Obama Names 21 Recipients
of Medal of Freedom
Nov 16, 2016 6:55 PM CST
Obama Names 21 Recipients of Medal of Freedom
Michael Jordan, Tom Hanks, Bruce Springsteen, and more
- President Obama is honoring actors Robert DeNiro, Cicely Tyson, Tom Hanks, and Robert Redford with the nation's highest civilian honor, the AP reports. They are among 21 people Obama plans to recognize with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House next Tuesday. Honorees from the sports world...
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Lands
One-Liner Against Trump
Jul 28, 2016 9:15 PM CDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Lands One-Liner Against Trump
No, he explains, he's not Michael Jordan
- NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had a serious duty at the Democratic convention—to tell the story of American Muslim soldier Humayun SM Khan, who was killed in Iraq—but he couldn't resist a quick dig at Donald Trump upon taking the podium. “Hello, everyone. I’m Michael Jordan,...
Apr 17, 2015 4:07 PM CDT
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Has Heart Surgery
NBA great has quadruple bypass, expected to make full recovery
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar spent his 68th birthday undergoing quadruple coronary bypass surgery, and early reports after yesterday's operation suggest he'll be around to celebrate plenty of other birthdays. Abdul-Jabbar was diagnosed with heart disease only this week, reports the
Los Angeles Times
, and he underwent the procedure at the...
Is Not Enough
Jan 19, 2015 12:40 PM CST
Abdul-Jabbar: Remembering MLK Is Not Enough
The existence of a holiday doesn't mean the battle is over
- At a time when racial tensions are in the spotlight in America, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is among those reflecting on the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. Today isn't just a day to remember him, Abdul-Jabbar writes in
: It's a day to honor him by continuing his work....
May 4, 2014 10:34 AM CDT
Abdul-Jabbar: 'More Whites Believe in Ghosts Than Racism'
NBA great says racism is alive and well
- Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar spent more than a day or two in the NBA, and today he dives right into its racism problem, telling ABC that though the problem is widespread, "more whites believe in ghosts than they do in racism." Yet it's "still part...
Abdul-Jabbar Has Cancer
Nov 10, 2009 5:37 AM CST
Abdul-Jabbar Has Cancer
NBA legend goes public with leukemia diagnosis
- Los Angeles Lakers great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is being treated for a rare form of leukemia, he announced today. The 62-year-old was diagnosed a year ago and doctors hope he will be able to live a full and active life with the proper treatment. Abdul-Jabbar said he decided to go public...
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.