Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Who Helped Hide
Soldier's Body Gets 30 Years
Aug 14, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Woman Who Helped Hide Soldier's Body Gets 30 Years
Cecily Aguilar was only person arrested in Vanessa Guillen case
- A Texas woman was sentenced Monday to 30 years in prison for helping dispose of the body of a US soldier, whose 2020 killing sparked a movement of women speaking out about sexual abuse in the military. Cecily Aguilar was the only suspect arrested in the death of Vanessa Guillen,...
Fort Hood Is Getting
a New Name in May
Mar 27, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
Fort Hood Is Getting a New Name in May
Fort named after Confederate general is becoming Fort Cavazos
- Fort Hood is weeks away from the second name change in its history. In 1950, eight years after the Army base was established in central Texas, Camp Hood became Fort Hood—but this year's renaming reflects bigger changes. The name of Confederate Gen. John Hood is being dropped and...
For Female Soldiers,
Texas Bases Are the Worst
Jun 18, 2021 1:52 PM CDT
For Female Soldiers, Texas Bases Are the Worst
Study finds higher risk of sexual assault
- Female soldiers at Army bases in Texas, Colorado, Kansas, and Kentucky face a greater risk of sexual assault and harassment than those at other posts, accounting for more than a third of all active-duty Army women sexually assaulted in 2018, according to a new Rand Corp. study. The study looked...
2 Generals Among Those
Punished in Fort Hood Failures
Dec 8, 2020 1:25 PM CST
2 Generals Among Those Punished in Fort Hood Failures
Suicides, homicides, or accidents killed 25 soldiers in a year
- Army leaders are firing or suspending 14 officers and enlisted soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, and ordering policy changes to address chronic leadership failures at the base that contributed to a widespread pattern of violence including murder, sexual assaults, and harassment. Two general officers are among those being removed from...
Fort Hood Commander
Removed From Post
Sep 1, 2020 5:24 PM CDT
Fort Hood Commander Removed From Post
Maj. Gen Scott Efflandt has also lost his next assignment
- The commander who has overseen Fort Hood during numerous troubling incidents is being removed from the post and has also lost his next assignment. Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt will no longer be taking command of the 1st Armored Division, which NBC describes as a potentially "career-ending move." The...
Missing Fort Hood
Soldier's Body Likely Found
Aug 26, 2020 3:45 AM CDT
Missing Fort Hood Soldier's Body Likely Found
Sgt. Elder Fernandes was last seen Aug. 17
- The body of a missing soldier is believed to have been found about 30 miles from Fort Hood, the Army base in Texas where he was stationed, police said Tuesday. Identification found with the body in Temple, Texas, indicates the man may be missing Fort Hood soldier Sgt. Elder Fernandes,...
Was Part of
Aug 22, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Missing Soldier Was Part of 'Sexual Contact' Investigation
The Army had relocated Sgt. Elder Fernandes to another unit
- A missing Fort Hood soldier had been part of a sexual-assault investigation before he disappeared, CNN reports. The Army said Thursday that Sgt. Elder Fernandes, who vanished Monday, had been moved to another unit after being the recipient of possible "abusive sexual contact." A public affairs officer for...
Another Fort Hood
Soldier Goes Missing
Aug 21, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Another Fort Hood Soldier Goes Missing
US Army asks for public's help in finding Sgt. Elder Fernandes
- Over the course of a month this summer, the bodies of three Fort Hood soldiers have been found near the Texas army base. Now, another soldier is missing. Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, was last seen or heard from Monday afternoon, when his staff sergeant dropped him off at home, the...
Are Not Safe
at Fort Hood'
Jul 22, 2020 7:27 AM CDT
'Our Soldiers Are Not Safe at Fort Hood'
3rd soldier in a month found dead near Texas base
- The body of a Fort Hood soldier has been found near the Texas army base for the third time in a month. Fort Hood officials say Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 26, of Pensacola, Fla., was found unresponsive near Stillhouse Hollow Lake, a reservoir some 15 miles from the base, on Friday,...
Fort Hood Soldier Kills Himself
After Remains Found
Jul 1, 2020 3:17 PM CDT
Fort Hood Soldier Kills Himself After Remains Found
Another suspect is now in custody
- Authorities say a suspect wanted in the disappearance of a Fort Hood soldier killed himself early Wednesday—hours after remains believed to be those of Pfc Vanessa Guillen were found in a shallow grave around 30 minutes from the Texas base. Police in Killeen say the suspect, a junior soldier...
Lawyer: Sergeant Followed
Missing Soldier Into Shower
Jun 24, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
Lawyer: Sergeant Followed Missing Soldier Into Shower
Natalie Khawam says Vanessa Guillen may have texted same sergeant before she vanished
- Foul play is suspected in the disappearance of 20-year-old Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen, who's now been missing for two months . Texas Rep. Sylvia Garcia held a press conference with Guillen's family on Tuesday after meeting with Army leadership. "They are convinced now there's foul play...
Body of Fort Hood Soldier
Missing Since August Found
Jun 22, 2020 2:19 AM CDT
Body of Fort Hood Soldier Missing Since August Found
No indication Gregory Morales' death is linked to disappearance of another Fort Hood soldier
- Skeletal remains found in Texas have been identified as those of a soldier from Oklahoma who was missing from Fort Hood, the US Army’s Criminal Investigation Command in Quantico, Va., said Sunday. The body of Pvt. Gregory Scott Morales, 24, of Sapulpa, Okla., was found Friday in a field...
Army Offers $25K Reward in
Search for Missing Soldier
Jun 17, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
Army Offers $25K Reward in Search for Missing Soldier
Vanessa Guillen last seen at Fort Hood on April 22
- Nearly two months after she went missing, the US Army is offering a reward for information leading to soldier Vanessa Guillen. The 20-year-old was last seen April 22 in the parking lot of her military unit's headquarters in Fort Hood, Texas. Earlier this week, the Army announced a $25,...
Missing Soldier Was Being
'Harassed': Salma Hayek
Jun 14, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
Missing Soldier Was Being 'Harassed': Salma Hayek
She joins the chorus seeking answers about Vanessa Guillen
- Salma Hayek has joined the outcry over a US Army soldier who went missing last month, NBC News . "Bring back Vanessa," Hayek posted on Instagram about 20-year-old Vanessa Guillen. "We won't stop until you come back." Details remain scant, but US Army investigators say Guillen...
4 Fort Hood Soldiers'
Jun 4, 2016 5:19 AM CDT
4 Fort Hood Soldiers' Bodies Found
Army death count reaches 9 in Texas disaster
- The Army says the bodies of four missing Fort Hood soldiers whose truck was swept away in a rain-swollen creek during training have been found, bringing the total dead to nine, the AP reports. Maj. Gen. John Uberti says the last bodies were found Friday, a day after the 2½...
5 Fort Hood Soldiers Dead;
4 Missing in Texas Floods
Jun 2, 2016 8:11 PM CDT
5 Fort Hood Soldiers Dead; 4 Missing in Texas Floods
Army truck was swept into a creek
- Army teams and other emergency crews are searching along a Fort Hood creek for four soldiers still missing from a truck that overturned in the swift water, killing at least five and injuring three, the AP reports. Fort Hood spokesman Chris Haug says the search continued after teams late Thursday...
in case you missed it
Dec 27, 2015 1:30 PM CST
Fort Hood Loses Its 'Hug Lady'
Elizabeth Laird gave out 500K hugs to soldiers deploying, returning home
- Elizabeth Laird doled out an estimated half-million hugs to American troops at Fort Hood, sending them off to war with a reassuring embrace and welcoming them back home with those same open arms. She kept up those hugs—along the way becoming known as "the hug lady"—through...
This Is What Happened Just Before Fort Hood Rampage
Apr 8, 2014 2:03 AM CDT
This Is What Happened Just Before Fort Hood Rampage
Lopez was enraged by leave argument
- Specialist Ivan Lopez fired at least 35 shots during his 8-minute rampage at Fort Hood military base, killing three of his fellow soldiers and wounding 16, military investigators say in a detailed account of the shooting. The military has also confirmed that the shooting began after Lopez had an argument...
Fort Hood Shooter
Ranted About Lanza
Apr 6, 2014 12:16 PM CDT
Fort Hood Shooter Ranted About Lanza
Ivan Lopez thought Newtown shooter 'pretended to be victim of mental illness'
- Ivan Lopez was apparently something of an over-sharer on Facebook: CNN reports that the Fort Hood shooter ranted about Adam Lanza, complaining that the Newtown gunman was after his "minute of fame as a villain" and "pretends to be a victim of a mental illness followed by addiction...
'Escalating Argument' Led
to Shooting, Says Pentagon
Apr 4, 2014 4:48 PM CDT
'Escalating Argument' Led to Shooting, Says Pentagon
Ivan Lopez may have been upset about his request for leave
- A bit of clarity is starting to form about what prompted Ivan Lopez to open fire at Fort Hood this week. Investigators are backing up early reports that Lopez had an argument with one or more soldiers immediately prior to the assault, reports AP . And while Lopez's mental health...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.