Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
El Niño Could Bring
Heatwaves' This Year
Jan 17, 2023 6:27 PM CST
El Niño Could Bring 'Unprecedented Heatwaves' This Year
And 2024 will be 'off the chart,' scientists say
- The El Niño climate phenomenon helped make 2016 the hottest year on record—and its return later this year could bring even higher temperatures amid "unprecedented heatwaves," scientists say. Forecasters say the pattern in the Pacific Ocean, which affects conditions around the world, is set to flip...
Young Hiker Dies Amid
Staggering Arizona Heat
Sep 6, 2022 4:22 PM CDT
Young Hiker Dies Amid Staggering Arizona Heat
Other hikers needed to be rescued from the Spur Cross Trailhead Mountain on Monday
- The typical temperature at Phoenix's international airport on Sept. 5 is 103. The actual temp there yesterday hit 109, and that heat proved deadly on a trail some 30 miles to the north in Cave Creek. NBC News reports the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office fielded a call just...
Amid Worst Heat Wave Ever,
China Shoots Rods Into Clouds
Aug 17, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Amid Worst Heat Wave Ever, China Shoots Rods Into Clouds
Silver iodide rods intended to spur precipitation
- China is experiencing its worst heat wave on record, a two-month-plus streak that's seeing hundreds of cities and counties experience temps of 104 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. But this extreme weather isn't just causing bodily discomfort. It's helping to dry up the Yangtze River, one of the...
Dress Like Me
Aug 1, 2022 9:06 AM CDT
Spain's PM to Workers: Dress Like Me
Specifically, go tie-less
- Temperatures hit nearly 97 degrees in Madrid on Friday, and Spain's prime minister instructed men who wear a tie to work to stop doing so as one (very) small way of reducing energy consumption amidst the heat. The BBC reports Pedro Sanchez appeared tieless at a news conference Friday...
Pacific Northwest Readies
for Dangerous Heat
Jul 29, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Pacific Northwest Readies for Dangerous Heat
Several deaths already are tentatively blamed on hyperthermia
- Extreme heat is forecast to stretch through the weekend in the Pacific Northwest, and authorities are investigating whether triple-digit temperatures were to blame for the deaths of at least four people. The Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office said at least three people have died of suspected hyperthermia during the...
Farmers Who Raise Cattle
Facing a Fraught Question
Jul 26, 2022 1:58 PM CDT
Farmers Who Raise Cattle Facing a Fraught Question
Shell out the money for feed, or sell?
- Much has been written about the impact of heat on humans in recent weeks. But for humans who raise cattle, it's a double whammy. CNN describes things at "a boiling point for farmers and ranchers," who are dealing with the extreme drought conditions that are plaguing some...
If This Meteorological Reading
Gets Too High, You Might Die
Jul 24, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
If This Meteorological Reading Gets Too High, You Might Die
'Wet bulb temperature' is a measure of humidity
- Most people on the planet probably don’t need to read the news to know that there’s a heat wave on. The temperature in Britain last week was high enough to melt roads and buckle train rails, per the
notes that high temperatures and humidity...
UK Protests Call
Heat Wave a Warning
Jul 23, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
UK Protests Call Heat Wave a Warning
'We are so unprepared' for such temperatures, demonstrator says
- Protesters turned out Saturday on the streets of London and in the Scottish city of Glasgow to demand faster action against climate change following the record-smashing temperatures that scorched the UK this week. Activist groups including Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain led protesters in a sit-in on Parliament Square...
Anchor's Weather Remarks
Don't Look Up
Jul 21, 2022 10:54 AM CDT
Anchor's Weather Remarks Likened to
Don't Look Up
'I want us to be happy about the weather,' UK presenter said after heat wave warning
- Since its launch last year, the GB News channel in the UK has often been compared to Fox News—but critics say a bizarre exchange last week was more like
Don't Look Up
. In video that has gone viral since record-breaking heat reached the UK earlier this week, meteorologist...
Part of Why Texas Is So Hot:
a Persistent 'Death Ridge'
Jul 21, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Part of Why Texas Is So Hot: a Persistent 'Death Ridge'
Wichita Falls, Texas, hit 115 degrees Tuesday
- This summer has already brought extreme temps to Tokyo , Western Europe , and the UK , and now it's the United States' turn in the barrel. While Americans from coast to coast are suffering through heat waves at the moment, AccuWeather reports it's particularly bad in the south-central part of...
Amid Unprecedented Heat
Wave, London Homes Burn
Jul 20, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Amid Unprecedented Heat Wave, London Homes Burn
At least 40 residences were destroyed by blazes that swept UK's capital, injuring 16 firefighters
- Britain saw its hottest day yet on record Tuesday, soaring past 104 degrees during a heat wave that's taken hold across other parts of Europe as well, but the country's capital was forced to deal with more than just sweating citizens. The London Fire Brigade described a "...
Today Is the Hottest Day
on Record in Britain
Jul 19, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
Today Is the Hottest Day on Record in Britain
Temperature exceeds 102 and is still climbing
Britain's heat wave is now in the record books and climbing. The temperature reached 102.4 degrees on Tuesday, surpassing the all-time high set in 2019, reports the AP . And it's expected to continue ticking up before the day is done—though it didn't nearly hit...
In Britain's Scorching Heat,
an Offer for Redheads
Jul 18, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
In Britain's Scorching Heat, an Offer for Redheads
Showcase offers free tickets in cool theaters on dangerously hot day
- Monday is shaping up to be the hottest day Britain ever recorded , with a forecast of at least 104 degrees. One cinema chain is scoring some related publicity with an unusual offer: free admission to redheads over the next two scorching days, reports the
. "Since redheads are...
Lights Out, Tokyo—It's
Going to Be a Hot One
Jun 27, 2022 7:07 AM CDT
Lights Out, Tokyo—It's Going to Be a Hot One
Government asks 37M residents to use less electricity to avoid power outages amid heat wave
- Temps in Japan usually hover below 85 degrees Fahrenheit in the month of June, but a heat wave that's descended upon Tokyo and surrounding areas has led the government to plead with 37 million residents to switch off their lights to avoid power outages. The BBC reports that the...
Fight Wildfires, Heat
Jun 19, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Spain, Germany Fight Wildfires, Heat
Winds complicate the job for crews in Western Europe
- Firefighters in Spain and Germany struggled to contain wildfires on Sunday during an unusual heat wave in Western Europe for this time of year. The worst damage in Spain has been in the northwest province of Zamora, where over 61,000 acres has been consumed, regional authorities said. German officials...
Heat in Southwest
Could Be Deadly
Jun 10, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Heat in Southwest Could Be Deadly
Areas in Texas to California are looking at temperatures over 100 this weekend
- The National Weather Service has warned of a dangerous weekend ahead in the Southwestern US, predicting a "dangerous and deadly heat wave" for the region. More than 30 million people are under heat alerts, CNN reports. Areas in Texas to California will be affected, the agency said, by temperatures...
for Historic Heat
May 21, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Preakness Prepares for Historic Heat
Delay or cancellation is possible, official says
- One record could fall Saturday before the Preakness Stakes is run for the 147th time. The forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-90s; a reading of 96 degrees would tie the 1934 race as the hottest Preakness ever, WMAR reports. The heat index is expected to be close to 100...
to Get Scorched
May 21, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
East Coast, You're About to Get Scorched
Early heat wave set to bring unusually high temps to NYC, Boston
- Cities along the East Coast, from Richmond and Philly to New York and Boston, will be slammed this weekend with "abnormally hot" temps, which the
calls "an ominous signal of the effects of human-caused climate change." On Saturday, temperatures along the Eastern Seaboard are expected...
Pakistan Suffers Through
a 'Spring-Less Year'
May 3, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Pakistan Suffers Through a 'Spring-Less Year'
India is grappling with extreme heat months ahead of usual as well
- "Last week was insanely hot in Turbat. It did not feel like April," a Pakistani man tells the
. If you think "insanely hot" must mean around 100, guess again. The temps in the region were closer to 120 degrees, and it's not even May—the...
The Heat in India
Is Becoming Unbearable
Apr 28, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
The Heat in India Is Becoming Unbearable
Relief from record-breaking heat wave could still be weeks away
- A record-breaking heat wave in India and Pakistan is affecting more than a billion people— and the worst is still to come. Reuters reports that the extreme heat making life almost unbearable across a wide swath of the subcontinent this week follows the hottest March since the India Meteorological Department...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.