Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wedding Guest Sues
Over 'Severe' Marijuana Injury
Nov 30, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Wedding Guest Sues Over 'Severe' Marijuana Injury
Caterer Joycelyn Bryant is accused of conspiring with bride Danya Svoboda to drug the meal
- A wedding guest is seeking more than $30,000 from the event's caterer, accused of secretly drugging the food . Authorities arrested Joycelyn Bryant of Joycelyn's Southern Kitchen, along with the bride who'd hired her, following the Feb. 19 wedding reception in Longwood, Florida, where guests had complained...
47K People Just Got
Weed Offenses Wiped
Nov 22, 2022 5:44 AM CST
47K People Just Got Weed Offenses Wiped
Ore. Gov. Kate Brown's pardon applies to simple possession convictions from before 2016
- More than 47,000 Oregonians will have prior offenses pardoned in a move Gov. Kate Brown announced Monday. Brown said she will pardon simple marijuana possession offenses in certain cases, a move that will also see the $14 million in fines and fees associated with those offenses forgiven, KATU reports....
Smoking Pot May Not Be
as Safe as You Think
Nov 15, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Smoking Pot May Not Be as Safe as You Think
Marijuana users had higher rates of emphysema than tobacco-only smokers
- A new study is countering the "public perception that marijuana is safe" or at least "safer than cigarettes," says author Giselle Revah, a radiologist at the Ottawa Hospital General in Canada's capital. As ABC News reports, rates of emphysema, airway inflammation, and enlarged breast tissue were...
2 States Approve
2 States Reject It
Nov 9, 2022 2:15 AM CST
2 States Approve Legal Weed, 2 States Reject It
And results in a 5th state were not yet clear
- Legalizing recreational marijuana was on the ballot in five states in the midterm elections Tuesday. The AP projected early in the night that Maryland voted heavily in favor of legalization. "Tonight voters in Maryland made history by bringing the era of failed marijuana prohibition to an end," said...
Struck a 'Historic'
Nov 5, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
'Diddy' Just Struck a 'Historic' Cannabis Deal
Rapper Sean Combs' acquisitions will create the biggest Black-owned pot company in the US
- Sean Combs already has branched out from his rapper and producer career with business ventures in the fashion, alcohol, and media worlds. Now "Diddy" is dipping his toe into marijuana, with a deal worth up to $185 million that, if approved by federal and state regulators, may result in...
Uber Eats Launches Its
First Pot Delivery Service
Oct 17, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Uber Eats Launches Its First Pot Delivery Service
Toronto program is a world first, company says
- Pot smokers in Canada's biggest city might now be calling Uber Eats long before they get the munchies. In what the company says is a world first, it is partnering with cannabis marketplace Leafly for home cannabis delivery in Toronto, Engadget reports. "This is the first time cannabis...
Kyrgios Has Unusual
Complaint at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Kyrgios Has Unusual Complaint at US Open
Umpire warned crowd against smoking after the 'heavy asthmatic' complained about pot smoke
- An umpire at the US Open warned the crowd not to smoke marijuana on Wednesday following a complaint from Australian player Nick Kyrgios. There was "a strong party vibe" in the crowd at New York's Louis Armstrong Arena as the Wimbledon finalist faced France's Benjamin Bonzi in...
In Our Recreational
Choice, a Big First
Aug 30, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
In Our Recreational Substances of Choice, a Big First
11% of US adults tell Gallup they smoke cigarettes; pot smokers surpass that for first time, with 16%
- In the mid-1950s, nearly half of US adults copped to smoking cigarettes. After decades of PSAs and warnings from the medical community on the dangers of smoking, it's probably not surprising that that figure has plummeted to just 11%—and it's now been surpassed by Americans who say...
Today's Potent Marijuana
Poses Bigger Addiction Risk
Jul 26, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Today's Potent Marijuana Poses Bigger Addiction Risk
Users of high-potency THC products have 4 times the risk of users of low-potency products
- Cannabis potency is climbing and with it the risk of addiction to the drug. That's according to a review of 20 studies involving nearly 120,000 people, published in
The Lancet Psychiatry
, per CNN . "One of the highest quality studies included in our publication found that use of...
Thailand Handing Out
1M Free Cannabis Plants
May 11, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Thailand Handing Out 1M Free Cannabis Plants
- Not so unusual: a country legalizing medicinal marijuana . Very unusual: the country giving its citizens cannabis plants so they can grow pot at home. That's what's happening now in Thailand, which in 2018 legalized marijuana for medical research and use. In January, Reuters reported the country decided to...
It's Not a Happy 4/20
for Pot Investors
Apr 20, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
It's Not a Happy 4/20 for Pot Investors
Lack of progress in DC has crashed stock prices
- Today is the annual celebration of cannabis culture, but with legalization efforts stalled in Washington, DC, investors in cannabis companies don't have a lot to celebrate, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The value of many well-known marijuana stocks has dropped by more than 50%, and they could fall further...
Pandemic, Worker Shortage
Change Employee Drug Testing
Mar 31, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Pandemic, Worker Shortage Change Employee Drug Testing
Percentage of positive tests rises, but more employers aren't testing for THC
- Against a backdrop of changing marijuana laws and a worker shortage, more employees are testing positive for drug use. Quest Diagnostics, one of the largest testers, found that 3.9% of the 6 million urine tests it processed last year came back positive, up 50% from 2017. In that same...
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot,
Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Feb 10, 2022 6:12 PM CST
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot, Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Louisiana's Gary Chambers Jr. is making waves despite limited budget
- A Louisiana candidate for the US Senate is making waves with his ads, which show him smoking marijuana and burning the Confederate flag. Baton Rouge community activist Gary Chambers Jr.—who had a viral moment in 2020 when he called out a school board member for online shopping during...
Malawi Has an Unusual
Offer for Mike Tyson
Nov 30, 2021 7:29 AM CST
Malawi Has an Unusual Offer for Mike Tyson
The country wants him as its new cannabis ambassador, but his rape conviction hovers
- In "something we weren't expecting" news this week, Mike Tyson has been asked to be an ambassador. Specifically, the cannabis ambassador for the African nation of Malawi, which hopes that the former world heavyweight champ's brand will help bring investors to its nascent medicinal pot industry. "...
Pregnant Moms May Want
To Just Say No to Marijuana
Nov 21, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Pregnant Moms May Want To Just Say No to Marijuana
Cannabis may lead to more anxious, aggressive children
- Moms-to-be may want to lay off the marijuana, or risk having babies more likely to be anxious or exhibit behavioral problems. That's per a study out of Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the City University of New York, which found that kids of women who ingest...
Illegal Pot Edibles Are Packaged
as Name-Brand Snacks
Oct 28, 2021 5:31 PM CDT
Illegal Pot Edibles Are Packaged as Name-Brand Snacks
California warns about potent cannabis products: 'These Aren’t Doritos'
- California Attorney General Rob Bonta issued a consumer alert Thursday about illegal, potent cannabis edibles for sale that are being packaged to look like snack and candy brands popular with children and teens. The edibles are being sold online and at California unlicensed shops, the AP reports. They often contain...
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash
Had Cocaine, Pot in System
Sep 23, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash Had Cocaine, Pot in System
5 died after balloon hit power lines in New Mexico
: The hot air balloon pilot killed along with his four passengers in a crash in Albuquerque, NM, in June had drugs in his system, the Federal Aviation Administration says. A toxicology report released Wednesday says blood and urine samples taken from 62-year-old Nicholas Meleski show he had marijuana and...
After Olympic Letdown, WADA
to Review Controversial Ban
Sep 15, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
After Olympic Letdown, WADA to Review Controversial Ban
Sha'Carri Richardson lost spot in Tokyo Games due to pot use
- Sha'Carri Richardson missed her chance to compete in Tokyo's Summer Olympics due to pot use, but a move by the World Anti-Doping Agency could keep future athletes from meeting the same fate. On Tuesday, WADA announced it will set up an advisory committee to review whether cannabis should...
A Warning for
Sep 7, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Warning for Cannabis Users Under 45
They're almost twice as likely as nonusers to suffer a heart attack, study finds
- Heart attacks are significantly more prevalent in US adults under 45 who use cannabis than those who don't, according to researchers, who dispute the idea that cannabis is safe. Their study, published Tuesday in the
Canadian Medical Association Journal
, looks at the health data of more than 33,000...
Is Convicted After
Troops Grew Paranoid
in case you missed it
Aug 22, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Soldier Who Brought Cupcakes Is Convicted After Troops Grew Paranoid
Canadian bombardier made marijuana dessert at home
- Canadian soldiers complained of feeling paranoid, sluggish, and confused during a live firearms field exercise on a hot day in 2018. Medical officials were called to the training site in New Brunswick, and the cause was traced to the homemade chocolate cupcakes the troops had just eaten, the BBC reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.