Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Health Dept. on Marijuana: It
Shouldn't Be a Schedule I Drug
Aug 31, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Health Dept. on Marijuana: It Shouldn't Be a Schedule I Drug
Recommendation has been passed to the Drug Enforcement Administration
- The US Department of Health and Human Services has delivered a recommendation to the Drug Enforcement Administration on marijuana policy, and Senate leaders hailed it Wednesday as a first step toward easing federal restrictions on the drug. HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra said Wednesday on X that the agency has responded...
'Sometimes You Smell Food,
Sometimes You Smell Weed'
Aug 28, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
'Sometimes You Smell Food, Sometimes You Smell Weed'
Marijuana odor wafted from park to US Open court, player says
- Even while she was rolling on the court, Maria Sakkari couldn't help noticing the smell of something off it. "It was weed," Sakkari said. The No. 8 seed from Greece was eliminated from the US Open in the first round Monday with a 6-4, 6-4 loss to...
Mastercard Brings Hammer
Down on Pot Purchases
Jul 27, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
Mastercard Brings Hammer Down on Pot Purchases
Company says it's banning cannabis transactions on its debit cards, as cannabis isn't legal federally
- Looking to pick up some pot at the dispensary? Don't pull out your Mastercard. On Wednesday, the payment processing company announced it had informed financial institutions that it would not be allowing marijuana purchases on its debit cards, in what Reuters describes as "a blow to an industry...
on Pot Tests for Jobs
Jul 22, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Employers Surrendering on Pot Tests for Jobs
More employers scrapping the practice amid fast-changing laws
- It's a brave new world in regard to marijuana use in the US, and getting braver all the time. In May, Minnesota became the 23rd state to legalize recreational use of the drug, notes Reuters , and a number of outlets have been cataloguing the resulting nationwide changes:
They Grow Pot Illegally,
Leave Behind an 'Eyesore'
Jun 10, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
They Grow Pot Illegally, Leave Behind an 'Eyesore'
Oregon Legislature passes bill to make landowners responsible for messy aftermath of illicit grows
- Oregon has long been known as a mecca for high-quality marijuana, but that reputation has come with a downside: illegal growers who offer huge amounts of cash to lease or buy land, then leave behind pollution, garbage, and a drained water table. Now, a bill passed by the Oregon Legislature...
Pot Dealer, 82, Gets
'Very Last Warning'
Jun 5, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Pot Dealer, 82, Gets 'Very Last Warning'
Retired seaman in Germany has 24 previous convictions
- A retired sailor in Germany has been warned that he needs to retire from marijuana dealing as well. The 82-year-old man, who has 24 previous convictions and an ongoing suspended sentence, was convicted of selling several dozen grams of pot, but judges at a district court in eastern Germany decided...
Is Legal in a 23rd State
May 30, 2023 6:57 PM CDT
Recreational Marijuana Is Legal in a 23rd State
Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura joined Gov. Tim Walz for signing ceremony
- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz was joined by a high-profile predecessor Tuesday when he signed a bill to make the state the 23rd in the nation to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Former WWF wrestler Jesse Ventura, who governed the state from 1999 to 2003, was among the first governors in...
California Cannabis Industry
Fears a Big Crash Soon
May 20, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
California Cannabis Industry Fears a Big Crash Soon
Unpaid debts and taxes could lead to pot store shutdowns
- The massive cannabis industry in California is in real peril, with one industry vet telling SF Gate that an "extinction event" is on the horizon. A number of marijuana dispensaries are in danger of closing due to mounting debt and missed tax payments, according to the outlet. While the...
More Americans Testing
Positive for Pot at Work
May 18, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
More Americans Testing Positive for Pot at Work
Quest Diagnostics survey puts the figure at 4.3%
- More Americans than ever have access to legal marijuana, and they're apparently using it more on the job. An annual analysis by the medical lab Quest Diagnostics finds that 4.3% of US workers tested positive for marijuana last year, the highest figure since the company began tracking it...
22nd State Legalizes
Apr 22, 2023 7:01 AM CDT
22nd State Legalizes Recreational Marijuana
Delaware's governor decides against vetoing legislation a second time
- Delaware's Democratic governor is not in favor of legalizing marijuana for recreational use—but he has decided to stop standing in the way. Gov. John Carney said Friday that he would allow two legalization bills to become law without his signature, the
reports. Possessing up to 1...
Former Michigan House
Speaker Guilty of Corruption
Apr 7, 2023 8:46 AM CDT
Former Michigan House Speaker Guilty of Corruption
Rick Johnson admits taking bribes while chair of marijuana licensing board
- In Michigan, the smell of legal marijuana came with the stench of corruption, according to federal investigators. Rick Johnson, former speaker of the Michigan House and former chairman of the Michigan Marijuana Licensing Board, has been charged with taking more than $110,000 in bribes connected to marijuana licenses, Politico...
'AK-47' That Prompted Panic
Was Something Very Different
Mar 30, 2023 11:37 AM CDT
'AK-47' That Prompted Panic Was Something Very Different
Police in New South Wales, Australia, say 'weapon' they found in car was actually just a bong
- There was a bit of panic in Australia this week, after Sydney locals reported the sighting of a man carrying a frightening-looking assault rifle—but all was not what it seemed. The BBC reports that 911 calls started pouring in late Wednesday afternoon from the northwest side of the city,...
Report: Alabama Player Fled
Cops at 141mph—With a Haul
Mar 21, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Report: Alabama Player Fled Cops at 141mph—With a Haul
Tony Mitchell, suspended from football, is charged with marijuana possession
- An Alabama freshman defensive back has admitted to fleeing from law enforcement when he put the pedal to the metal and reached speeds of 141mph last week, according to a police report. Tony Mitchell, a five-star recruit and top 150 prospect, was arrested Wednesday in Florida on a charge of...
Oklahomans Head to
Polls for a Single Issue
Mar 8, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Oklahomans Head to Polls for a Single Issue
State voted no on legalizing recreational pot
- It's a "no" from Oklahoma voters on the question of legalizing recreational cannabis. State Question 820 was rejected by more than 60% of voters Tuesday, losing every single county in the state, the
reports. The state's current cannabis laws will remain unchanged for now, with only...
Daily Pot Use May Take
a Toll on the Heart
Feb 24, 2023 1:55 PM CST
Daily Pot Use May Take a Toll on the Heart
Study suggests regular marijuana use leads to greater risk of coronary artery disease
- A new Stanford study released Friday found evidence that people who smoke or vape cannabis every day could be at higher risk for coronary artery disease than nonusers. CNN quoted study author Dr. Ishan Paranjpe, who said there is "a growing body of evidence" suggesting cannabis is not harmless...
Judge: Taking Guns From
Pot Smokers Unconstitutional
Feb 6, 2023 8:03 AM CST
Judge: Taking Guns From Pot Smokers Unconstitutional
Jared Michael Harrison wins his federal case in Oklahoma
- A federal judge in Oklahoma has ruled that a federal law prohibiting people who use marijuana from owning firearms is unconstitutional, the latest challenge to firearms regulations after the US Supreme Court's conservative majority set new standards for reviewing the nation's gun laws. Lawyers for Jared Michael Harrison...
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots
of Edibles During Pandemic
Jan 3, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots of Edibles During Pandemic
Study finds 1,375% spike in reports to poison centers involving children under 6 from 2017 to '21
- More than 40% of human poison exposure calls to US poison centers in 2020 were about children who'd accidentally been exposed to cannabis, according to a new study, which shows an alarming rise in accidental ingestion of edibles in particular. The number of children under 6 who accidentally ate...
Wedding Guest Sues
Over 'Severe' Marijuana Injury
Nov 30, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Wedding Guest Sues Over 'Severe' Marijuana Injury
Caterer Joycelyn Bryant is accused of conspiring with bride Danya Svoboda to drug the meal
- A wedding guest is seeking more than $30,000 from the event's caterer, accused of secretly drugging the food . Authorities arrested Joycelyn Bryant of Joycelyn's Southern Kitchen, along with the bride who'd hired her, following the Feb. 19 wedding reception in Longwood, Florida, where guests had complained...
47K People Just Got
Weed Offenses Wiped
Nov 22, 2022 5:44 AM CST
47K People Just Got Weed Offenses Wiped
Ore. Gov. Kate Brown's pardon applies to simple possession convictions from before 2016
- More than 47,000 Oregonians will have prior offenses pardoned in a move Gov. Kate Brown announced Monday. Brown said she will pardon simple marijuana possession offenses in certain cases, a move that will also see the $14 million in fines and fees associated with those offenses forgiven, KATU reports....
Smoking Pot May Not Be
as Safe as You Think
Nov 15, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Smoking Pot May Not Be as Safe as You Think
Marijuana users had higher rates of emphysema than tobacco-only smokers
- A new study is countering the "public perception that marijuana is safe" or at least "safer than cigarettes," says author Giselle Revah, a radiologist at the Ottawa Hospital General in Canada's capital. As ABC News reports, rates of emphysema, airway inflammation, and enlarged breast tissue were...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.