Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At This Eatery, a Grubhub
Order Stopped Workers Cold
in case you missed it
Jun 26, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
At This Eatery, a Grubhub Order Stopped Workers Cold
Cops say hostage was rescued after writing on her order: 'Please call the police'
- Usually in the "additional instructions" field on Grubhub orders, customers specify food allergies or ask for extra condiments. Cops say for one New York City-area woman, that section on the app became a place to plead for help, and helped lead to her rescue. ABC7 reports that an order...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Video Is First Sign of Life
of Abducted American
Apr 1, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Video Is First Sign of Life of Abducted American
Mark Frerichs, held by a Taliban faction since 2020, is seen in clip obtained by 'New Yorker'
- Friday brings significant developments on the fate of three Americans held in captivity by the Taliban in Afghanistan—two have been freed and the third was seen in a video, the first sign of life in two years. Details:
obtained a video (you can watch
Jan 16, 2022 5:45 AM CST
10-Hour Texas Synagogue Standoff Ends
Hostages freed, captor is dead
- Four hostages are safe and their captor is dead after an hourslong standoff that began when the man took over services at a Texas synagogue where he could be heard ranting on a livestream and demanding the release of a Pakistani neuroscientist who was convicted of trying to kill US...
Police Surround Synagogue
Where Hostages Are Held
Jan 15, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Police Surround Synagogue Where Hostages Are Held
Man was heard ranting on livestream of Texas service
- Authorities said a man took hostages Saturday during services at a Texas synagogue where the suspect could be heard ranting in a livestream and demanding the release of a Pakistani neuroscientist who was convicted of trying to kill US Army officers in Afghanistan. The Colleyville Police Department tweeted Saturday afternoon...
Hostage Negotiator Receives
Call From Own Abducted Wife
Jan 8, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Hostage Negotiator Receives Call From Own Abducted Wife
'WSJ' profiles Abdullahi Tumburkai, who has assumed unwanted role of go-between
Wall Street Journal
profiles a hostage negotiator in Nigeria named Abdullahi Tumburkai, though he doesn't hold that role in any official capacity. Instead, the 46-year-old was thrust into the job when his two brothers were kidnapped last year. In phone calls with their abductors, he managed to lower...
One Small Pot, 2 Groups
of Terrorism Victims
Sep 27, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
One Small Pot, 2 Groups of Terrorism Victims
Former Iranian hostages await compensation more than 4 decades later
- Two members of a select group died this month—they were among the 52 Americans taken hostage in Iran in 1979, reports Anne Gearan in the
. With their deaths, the number of surviving members from the group has shrunk to 35. "We are not getting any younger,...
Hostages Told to Cling to
Car Hoods or Be Shot in Face
Aug 31, 2021 3:52 PM CDT
Hostages Told to Cling to Car Hoods or Be Shot in Face
They're speaking out after ordeal in Aracatuba, Brazil
- Brazilian bank robbers strapped hostages to the hoods and roofs of getaway vehicles early Monday, and now those victims are speaking of their ordeal. One said they were told their options were to hang on or be shot in the face: "I was put onto the [hood] of a...
Bank Robbers Place Hostages
on Roofs of Getaway Cars
Aug 30, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Bank Robbers Place Hostages on Roofs of Getaway Cars
That was the scene in Aracatuba, Brazil, on Monday
- Brazilian bank robbers allegedly made a grim use of hostages early Monday with the BBC reporting CCTV footage posted to social media showed people strapped to the hood and roofs of getaway vehicles. One person was "seen crouching on the hood" of a vehicle, with another person seen protruding...
Update on Missing Dubai
Princesses Has Cops Involved
Feb 25, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Update on Missing Dubai Princesses Has Cops Involved
Before she went silent, 'hostage' Princess Latifa urged help for her sister, Princess Shamsa
- Princess Shamsa, a daughter of Dubai's ruler, was 18 when she fled from her father's estate in Surrey, England, in 2000. She was nabbed on a street in Cambridge two months later and hasn't been seen in public since, though Cambridgeshire police are now looking into the...
Oct 19, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
WH's Top Counterterrorism Official Had Secret Syrian Meeting
Kash Patel visited for negotiations on Austin Tice, other hostages—the first such visit in 10 years
- American journalist Austin Tice disappeared in Syria eight years ago, and is believed to have been a captive there since. Now, in what Bloomberg calls a "rare sign of diplomacy," sources say the White House's top counterterrorism official has traveled there for secret talks to negotiate for...
Hostage Crisis Ends After PM
Asks People to Watch Film
Jul 21, 2020 4:49 PM CDT
Hostage Crisis Ends After PM Asks People to Watch Film
Ukraine gunman seized bus
- An "unstable" armed man who seized more than a dozen hostages on a long-distance bus in the western Ukraine city of Lutsk was detained late Tuesday after a standoff that lasted for over 12 hours and all hostages were freed unharmed, officials said. At one point during the standoff,...
5 Dead, Dozens Arrested After
Church Hostage Situation
Jul 11, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
5 Dead, Dozens Arrested After Church Hostage Situation
Incident in South Africa 'may have been motivated by a feud' between church members
- Five people are dead and more than 40 have been arrested after an early-morning hostage situation at a long-troubled church near Johannesburg, police in South Africa said Saturday. A statement said police and military who responded to reports of a shooting at the International Pentecostal Holiness Church headquarters in Zuurbekom...
Ex-Security Guard Releases
Hostages After 10 Hours
Mar 3, 2020 12:11 AM CST
Ex-Security Guard Releases Hostages After 10 Hours
Filipino man accused mall bosses of corruption
- A recently dismissed security guard freed dozens of hostages and was subdued by police after walking out of a shopping mall in the Philippine capital on Monday, ending a daylong hostage crisis in an upscale commercial district near the police and military headquarters, officials said. The former guard at the...
French Soldiers Killed
Rescuing American Hostage
May 10, 2019 8:04 AM CDT
French Soldiers Killed Rescuing American Hostage
3 other foreign hostages also rescued in Burkina Faso
- An American woman is among four hostages freed by French soldiers during a raid in the African nation of Burkina Faso. Two French soldiers were killed in the overnight raid, which was supported by US intelligence, reports Reuters . Not much is known about the US woman, including her identity, who...
Trump on $2M 'Bill' for 'Our
Great Otto': I Paid Nothing
Apr 26, 2019 11:41 AM CDT
Trump on $2M 'Bill' for 'Our Great Otto': I Paid Nothing
President insists no money was paid to North Korea for Otto Warmbier
- On Thursday, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders noted that the administration doesn't comment on hostage negotiations, a remark necessitated by reports that North Korea billed the US $2 million for Otto Warmbier's hospice care before the 21-year-old student was sent back to the US in 2017. On...
UPS Hostage Taker Is Dead
Jan 14, 2019 2:55 PM CST
UPS Hostage Taker Is Dead
But 2 female hostages were unharmed
- An armed man who entered a UPS processing facility Monday morning and held two women hostage for several hours was shot and killed by police as he left the building with the women, authorities said. Several officers fired at William Owens, 39, of Sicklerville, New Jersey, the state Attorney General'...
Former Hostage Says Husband
Abused Her in Captivity
Sep 6, 2018 6:43 AM CDT
Former Hostage Says Husband Abused Her in Captivity
Canadian Joshua Boyle loses custody of children
- Caitlan Coleman, the American woman held hostage in Afghanistan for 5 years , says her own husband made the ordeal much worse. In court papers obtained by the
, the 32-year-old Coleman says Joshua Boyle, her 34-year-old Canadian husband, became mentally and physically abusive, confining her to a shower stall...
After Call for Ceasefire,
Taliban Seize 100 Hostages
Aug 20, 2018 1:36 AM CDT
After Call for Ceasefire, Taliban Seize 100 Hostages
Women, children taken from buses
- The Taliban ambushed a convoy of buses Monday on a road in northern Afghanistan and took more than 100 people hostage, including women and children, in the latest brazen assault by insurgents, provincial officials say. The ambush came despite Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's announcement of a conditional ceasefire with...
Woman Killed in
at Trader Joe's
Jul 22, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Woman Killed in Hostage Standoff at Trader Joe's
Man in custody after shooting grandmother, car chase, gun battle, taking hostages
- A California domestic dispute spiraled out of control Saturday, ending with the death of a complete stranger. Police say that an unidentified 28-year-old male got in a fight with his grandmother, shot her at least seven times, then forced another female into the grandmother's Toyota and fled, reports the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.