Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest new stories and school shooting cases on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Alex Jones Spent
$93K in July, Has Paid
Sandy Hook Families $0
Sep 15, 2023 8:41 AM CDT
Alex Jones Spent $93K in July, Has Paid Sandy Hook Families $0
Infowars founder has filed for bankruptcy, seeking to dodge $1.5B settlement
- As Alex Jones continues telling his Infowars audience about his money problems and pleads for them to buy his products, his own documents show life isn't that bad—his net worth is around $14 million and his personal spending topped $93,000 in July alone, reports the AP . That...
Growing Debate at
Schools: Clear Backpacks
Sep 4, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Growing Debate at Schools: Clear Backpacks
More districts requiring them to deter shootings, but critics say it's 'security theater'
- As a new school year begins, backpacks are getting a more thorough look in some districts. New policies requiring clear bags or otherwise restricting regular backpacks are being passed, though the effectiveness of how these measures deter school shootings is still up for debate. The
reports that in...
Mom of 6-Year-Old Who
Shot Teacher Pleads Guilty
Aug 15, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Mom of 6-Year-Old Who Shot Teacher Pleads Guilty
Deja Taylor admits carelessly storing gun her child used in the shooting
- Another guilty plea from the mother of a 6-year-old boy who shot his schoolteacher : Deja Taylor, 26, pleaded guilty to child neglect Tuesday, reports the
. Taylor admitted that she owned the gun used in the shooting and that she stored it in a place accessible to her son—...
Got Gun Used in
Aug 10, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
How 6-Year-Old Got Gun Used in Virginia Shooting
Mom said she believed gun was locked, but police say no locks were found in home
- Newly unsealed documents in the January shooting of a Virginia elementary school teacher are revealing more details about the case, including the fact that the 6-year-old who shot first-grade teacher Abigail Zwerner told school officials afterward that he had taken his mother's gun the night prior . According to a...
Boy, 6, Who Shot Teacher
Bragged Afterward: Documents
Aug 9, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Boy, 6, Who Shot Teacher Bragged Afterward: Documents
Documents reveal statement of reading specialist who detained Virginia boy
- Newly unsealed search warrants in the case of a Virginia elementary school teacher shot by a 6-year-old student reveal that the child allegedly told a reading specialist who restrained him after the incident, "I shot that b---- dead," WAVY reports. The documents also reveal that the first-grader told...
Cousin of Uvalde Shooter
Accused of Similar Plot
Aug 8, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Cousin of Uvalde Shooter Accused of Similar Plot
Nathan Cruz, 17, is arrested in San Antonio
- A mother in San Antonio, Texas, called police on her 17-year-old son because she feared he was planning a massacre at an elementary school. The chilling twist: He is the cousin of the teen who did the same thing in Uvalde, Texas, reports the
New York Times
. Police arrested Nathan...
Shooting Suspect's Dad
Killed by Police 20 Years Ago
Aug 4, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Shooting Suspect's Dad Killed by Police 20 Years Ago
2004 complaint filed by suspect's mom says her son suffered emotional distress at the time
- An eerie detail has emerged after a man fired shots outside of a Jewish school in Memphis, Tennessee, earlier this week. NBC News reports that the father of 33-year-old suspect Joel Bowman was shot dead by Memphis cops in May 2003 after they received a 911 call of him "...
Parkland Victims' Families
Finally See Massacre Site
Jul 6, 2023 12:39 AM CDT
Parkland Victims' Families Finally See Massacre Site
Private tours of the high school, which will be demolished, begin
- For more than five years, the bloodstained halls and classrooms where 17 people died in the Parkland school shooting has remained locked away and mostly untouched—not even the victims' families were allowed inside. That changed Wednesday, as heart-wrenching private tours began for relatives of the 14 students and three...
Judge Forces Uvalde DPS
to Release Shooting Records
Jun 30, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
Judge Forces Uvalde DPS to Release Shooting Records
Media outlets sued for release of call logs, police footage
- A judge has ordered the Texas Department of Public Safety to release police dashcam videos, recordings of 911 calls, and other records related to the May 2022 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, which stands out from other recent mass shootings due to its death toll and what...
Deputy Weeps After Acquittal
in School Shooting Trial
Jun 29, 2023 2:47 PM CDT
Deputy Weeps After Acquittal in School Shooting Trial
Scot Peterson was accused of failing to stop the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooter
- A Florida sheriff's deputy was acquitted Thursday of felony child neglect and other charges for his actions during the 2018 Parkland school massacre, concluding the first trial in US history of a law enforcement officer for conduct during an on-campus shooting. Former Broward County Deputy Scot Peterson wept as...
Florida Deputy's Face Went
'Blank' During Mass Shooting
Jun 20, 2023 1:13 PM CDT
Florida Deputy's Face Went 'Blank' During Mass Shooting
Scot Peterson on trial for failing to try to stop massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- The face of a former Florida sheriff's deputy went “blank” as shots rang out from a Parkland high school building five years ago, and he did not appear to grasp that a gunman was inside killing 17 people, a former supervisor testified during the deputy's trial Tuesday....
Ex-Officer's School Shooting
Trial Is the First of Its Kind
Jun 8, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Ex-Officer's School Shooting Trial Is the First of Its Kind
Scot Peterson faces felony child neglect charges in Parkland shooting
- In a case that could have major implications for policing across America, the former school resource officer who failed to enter the building where a gunman massacred 17 people in 2018 has gone on trial. Scot Peterson faces charges including seven felony counts of child neglect in connection with the...
2 Killed, 5 Shot After
Virginia High School Graduation
Jun 6, 2023 10:23 PM CDT
2 Killed, 5 Shot After Virginia High School Graduation
Suspect, 19, has been captured
- Seven people were shot, two fatally, when gunfire rang out Tuesday outside a downtown theater where a high school graduation ceremony had just ended, causing hundreds of attendees to flee in panic, weep, and clutch their children, authorities and witnesses said. A 19-year-old suspect tried to escape on foot but...
Jun 6, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Commission: Parkland Judge Should Be Reprimanded
Elizabeth Scherer showed bias toward prosecution in trial, allowed 'emotions to overcome' judgment
- The Florida judge who oversaw the penalty trial of Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz should be publicly reprimanded for showing bias toward the prosecution, failing to curtail "vitriolic statements" directed at Cruz's attorneys, and allowing "emotions to overcome her judgment," reports the AP . The Judicial Qualifications...
Mother of Boy Who Shot
Teacher Hit With More Charges
Jun 6, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Mother of Boy Who Shot Teacher Hit With More Charges
Deja Taylor now faces federal charges as well
- The mother of the 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot his first-grade teacher has been charged in federal court with using a controlled substance while in possession of a handgun, a felony. The charge against Deja Nicole Taylor relates to pot, which is legal in Virginia but remains illegal under federal...
Skin Care Brand Sorry for
Mention of Campus Shooting
May 24, 2023 1:24 PM CDT
Skin Care Brand Sorry for Mention of Campus Shooting
In sponsored Biore video, TikTok influencer discussed MSU shooting
- Skin care brand Bioré says it's sorry about a sponsored influencer video that critics said trivialized a school shooting. In the video, which was taken down from TikTok but can be seen here , former Michigan State University student Cecilee Max-Brown discusses both her anxiety after the campus shooting that...
School Shooter Who Killed
6-Year-Old Pleads for Mercy
May 24, 2023 8:46 AM CDT
School Shooter Who Killed 6-Year-Old Pleads for Mercy
SC's Jesse Osborne, now 21, killed Jacob Hall in 2016 and now seeks to be released in his 60s
- A 21-year-old man serving two life sentences plus 30 years for murdering his father and subsequently carrying out a deadly school shooting is asking a judge for mercy so that he might eventually get out of prison. On Sept. 28, 2016, Jesse Osborne killed his father as he slept in...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
May 18, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
'Children's Book' Chronicles 'My First School Shooting'
Patricia Oliver, mom of Parkland victim Joaquin Oliver, wrote book to make impact on lawmakers
- There's a new "children's book" that recently made the rounds in DC—except it's actually a book for lawmakers, penned by the mom of a 17-year-old Parkland victim.
Joaquin's First School Shooting
is written by Patricia Oliver, mother of Joaquin Oliver, who was gunned down...
Had List of Names
May 3, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Police: Serbia School Shooter Had List of Names
The suspect's father has also been arrested
- A 13-year-old who opened fire Wednesday at his school in Serbia's capital drew sketches of classrooms and wrote a list of people he intended to "liquidate" in a meticulously planned attack, police said. He killed eight fellow students and a school guard before being arrested. The shooter first...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.