Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Ran a Marathon Every
Day Until She Caught COVID
Nov 15, 2021 6:40 PM CST
She Ran a Marathon Every Day Until She Caught COVID
Alyssa Clark ran 26.2 miles every day for 95 days
- Like a lot of people, Alyssa Clark needed a quarantine project. And, as she wound up the project, she "just felt like running." Her husband is in the military and stationed in Naples, Italy, so she started running on a treadmill indoors while there. She had been training...
Olympic Champ Joins
Thousands in Paris Run
Oct 31, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Olympic Champ Joins Thousands in Paris Run
Eliud Kipchoge starts at the back of the race on the Champs-Elysees
- Some 3,600 amateur runners faced off Sunday against Olympic marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge in a special race in the heart of Paris, an event tied to the city's hosting of the 2024 Olympics. The runners raced along the historic, cobblestoned Champs-Elysees, with Kipchoge starting off last, darting alongside....
One in 8
Started the Race
Ended Up Dying
Oct 17, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
One in 8 Runners Who Started the Race Ended Up Dying
The 'WSJ' digs into the deadly ultramarathon in China
- Running 60 miles would feel like death for most of us. For 21 runners in China, it actually was deadly . Writing for the
Wall Street Journal
, Wenxin Fan takes a deep dive into just what went wrong during the May 22 ultramarathon , which saw 172 runners set off at 9am—...
Boston Marathon Held
for First Time in 30 Months
Oct 11, 2021 3:17 PM CDT
Boston Marathon Held for First Time in 30 Months
Kenyan runners swept long-delayed race
- With fall foliage replacing the blooming daffodils and mylar blankets sharing space with masks, the pandemic-delayed Boston Marathon returned Monday after a 30-month absence for a smaller, socially distanced race that ended in a very familiar way. Benson Kipruto and Diana Kipyogei completed a Kenyan sweep—the eighth since 2000...
Marathon's First US Winner in
20 Years Caught a Lucky Break
Sep 28, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Marathon's First US Winner in 20 Years Caught a Lucky Break
2 Kenyan leaders were diverted, disqualified at Quad Cities Marathon
- An Illinois man became the first US runner since 2001 to claim victory in the Quad Cities Marathon on Sunday after watching the two Kenyan runners ahead of him go the wrong way. "I was about 20 seconds back, so I kind of saw it happening but I'm...
Marathon Course Goof Leads
to Debate About Real Winner
Sep 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
Marathon Course Goof Leads to Debate About Real Winner
Brighton Marathon organizers apologize after cone line was placed incorrectly
- A marathon runner who runs an extra half-kilometer might be proud. Then again, a runner winning at the 26.2-mile mark, where the finish line should be, might be more than a little annoyed if that extra distance gives another runner a chance to pass and win. Sunday’s Brighton...
Nation Halts All Extreme Sports
After 'Man-Made Disaster'
Jun 3, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Nation Halts All Extreme Sports After 'Man-Made Disaster'
Ultramarathon in China's Gansu province, which led to 21 deaths, isn't the only event that's seen problems
- Last month, 21 competitors in a 62-mile ultramarathon in China's Gansu province perished during severe weather that included freezing rain, hail, and frigid strong winds. On Wednesday, in response to that deadly event, the country's sports oversight agency announced it's indefinitely suspending all extreme sports—including ultra-long...
Gives Up on the Spring
Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Boston Marathon Gives Up on the Spring
Organizers hope it will happen in fall 2021
- This year, Boston Marathon organizers postponed the event until the fall before deciding to cancel the race for the first time in its 124-year history and replace it with a virtual event. Organizers say they hope to hold the race again in 2021, but the traditional date of the third...
A Major Sporting Event
Is Canceled for 2020
Jun 24, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
A Major Sporting Event Is Canceled for 2020
The New York City Marathon takes a year off
- Long-distance runners, bad news: The New York City Marathon just got canceled for 2020. Event organizers and the mayor's office said Wednesday it's just too dangerous to assemble some 50,000 runners in the middle of a pandemic, TMZ reports. They cited "coronavirus-related health and safety concerns...
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon
'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Apr 5, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon 'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Eliud Kipchoge did what many believed couldn't be done
- For decades, it was believed to be impossible to run a marathon in less than two hours. Then, in October, Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to do it. How? Knox Robinson spent time with Kipchoge at his rural training camp in Kenya, and in an extensive piece for
Man Runs a Marathon in
This Very Small Backyard
Apr 1, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Man Runs a Marathon in This Very Small Backyard
James Campbell had an interesting 32nd birthday
- Being stuck at home didn't stop a British man from running an outdoor marathon. James Campbell, a former professional javelin thrower, spent his 32nd birthday on Wednesday doing 20-foot shuttles from one end of his small backyard to the other after promising to run a marathon if one of...
Kept in by
Virus, Man Runs
Marathon ... on
Mar 21, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Kept in by Virus, Man Runs Marathon ... on His Balcony
Weird feat took Elisha Nochomovitz almost 7 hours
- In the age of confinement amid the coronavirus outbreak, Elisha Nochomovitz figured out a way to run a marathon anyway: back and forth on his balcony. That’s right—he ran 26.2 miles straight, never leaving his 23-foot-long balcony. Nochomovitz saw it as a physical and mental challenge, but...
Runner's First Marathon
Sends Her to Olympics
Mar 2, 2020 5:13 PM CST
Runner's First Marathon Sends Her to Olympics
Molly Seidel pulled away with two other runners, and all three are bound for Tokyo
- "What is happening?" Molly Seidel kept asking Saturday in Atlanta after running a marathon for the first time. It was hard to believe. With a time of 2 hours, 27 minutes, Seidel had just finished second in the Olympic trials, earning her a ticket to the Games this summer...
Nike Nailed It With These
Shoes—and That's a Problem
Jan 18, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Nike Nailed It With These Shoes—and That's a Problem
The Vaporfly is helping marathon runners break records
- Some shoes aren't just good, they're
good—which has World Athletics seeking a response to Nike's Vaporfly sneakers, Quartz reports. The governing body of track and field knows these shoes are helping runners set marathon records, but what to do? The
of London reports a...
Woman Beats Legendary
Runner on Her First Try
Nov 3, 2019 11:58 AM CST
Woman Beats Legendary Runner on Her First Try
While Geoffrey Kamworor takes his second NYC marathon title since 2017
- Joyciline Jepkosgei arrived in New York with a modest goal for her first marathon ever. "My focus was to finish the race," she said, a gold medal hanging around her neck. Not bad for a novice. Jepkosgei upset four-time champion Mary Keitany to win the New York City...
World Marathon Record
Set in 2003 Broken in Chicago
Oct 14, 2019 1:35 AM CDT
World Marathon Record Set in 2003 Broken in Chicago
Brigid Kosgei beat Paula Radcliffe's time by 81 seconds
- The women's marathon world record that Paula Radcliffe set at the London Marathon in April 2003 stood for more than 16 years—until it was smashed by Brigid Kosgei on Sunday. The 25-year-old Kenyan runner finished the Chicago Marathon in 2 hours, 14 minutes, and 4 seconds, beating Radcliffe'...
He Just Did What No Runner
Has Ever Done Before
Oct 12, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
He Just Did What No Runner Has Ever Done Before
'I am the happiest man,' says Eliud Kipchoge, the first person to run marathon in under 2 hours
- With 20 seconds to spare, Eliud Kipchoge has just done what elite marathon runners have tried to do for years. "I am the happiest man," the Kenyan athlete said Saturday in Austria after completing Vienna's Prater Park marathon in less than two hours—1 hour, 59 minutes,...
to a Mix-Up
Sep 23, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Runner Finds Creative Solution to a Mix-Up
Massachusetts woman runs her own half-marathon after signing up for far-away race
- A Massachusetts woman thought she was signing up to run a half-marathon near her home, not across the Atlantic Ocean, per the AP . Sheila Pereira learned too late that the Worcester City Half Marathon was actually being held in Worcester, England, and not Worcester, Massachusetts, on Sept. 15. She decided...
Died by Suicide
Jul 9, 2019 2:27 PM CDT
Disqualified Marathoner, 70, Died by Suicide
Dr. Frank Meza's death resulted from 'blunt force traumatic injuries,' coroner finds
- The 70-year-old retired physician disqualified from the 2019 Los Angeles Marathon after allegations of cheating died by suicide, the Los Angeles County coroner's office has determined. Dr. Frank Meza was found dead in the Los Angeles River Thursday, days after he was disqualified from the March race, in which...
They Said He Cheated in His
Record Run. Now He's Dead
Jul 6, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
They Said He Cheated in His Record Run. Now He's Dead
Frank Meza, 70, disqualified from Los Angeles Marathon earlier this week, found in LA River
- A record-setting 70-year-old runner who earlier this week had been disqualified from the Los Angeles Marathon amid cheating accusations was found dead Thursday morning in the Los Angeles River, the LA County coroner's office has confirmed to the
. ABC13 reports that the LAPD responded to a body...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.