Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
5 Former Frat Members
Sentenced in Hazing Death
Jun 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
5 Former Frat Members Sentenced in Hazing Death
3 pleaded guilty to reckless homicide
- Three former fraternity members were sentenced Thursday to jail terms for their roles in the hazing death of a Bowling Green State University student, while two others were ordered to serve house arrest. Jarrett Prizel, 19; Daylen Dunson, 22; and Ben Boyers, 21, had all pleaded guilty to reckless homicide...
Suit: Our Son
Was Forced to
Drink Bottle of
Vodka as Pledge
Feb 3, 2022 8:37 AM CST
Suit: Our Son Was Forced to Drink Bottle of Vodka as Pledge
Parents of Mizzou student Daniel Santulli file hazing complaint against Phi Gamma Delta
- The parents of a Minnesota man allege in a lawsuit that he has been unresponsive and requires constant medical care since being forced to drink a bottle of vodka at a fraternity at the University of Missouri, reports the AP . Daniel Santulli, 19, of Eden Prairie, Minn., was found in...
After Allegations, USC
to Require Guards
at Fraternity Parties
Jan 20, 2022 6:35 PM CST
After Allegations, USC to Require Guards at Fraternity Parties
Social gatherings can resume in March if new rules are followed
- Fraternity parties can resume at a major California campus in March, provided new rules are followed—including one requiring security guards to be posted on hallways leading to bedrooms. The USC rules are in response to allegations that sexual abuse and drugging took place at several houses last fall. Suspensions...
Student Dies 4 Days After
Charity Boxing Match
Nov 29, 2021 1:52 PM CST
Student Dies 4 Days After Charity Boxing Match
UNLV student Nick Valencia collapsed minutes after fight
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas student Nathan Valencia should have been celebrating his 21st birthday on Saturday. Instead, hundreds gathered on campus to mourn him. Valencia died on Tuesday, four days after he took part in a boxing match held by a fraternity, and his family is demanding answers, NBC...
Frat Member Accused of
Kidnapping, Strangling Ex
Oct 14, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Frat Member Accused of Kidnapping, Strangling Ex
University of Delaware students demand action after arrest of Brandon Freyre
- University of Delaware students demanding action against gender-based violence held protests this week after the arrest of a student accused of kidnapping and attacking an ex-girlfriend. Police say Brandon Freyre, 20, allegedly held a fellow student captive in his off-campus Newark apartment for around four hours early last Friday, the...
Frat Member Charged With
Killing His 'Little Brother'
Apr 30, 2021 10:28 AM CDT
Frat Member Charged With Killing His 'Little Brother'
Involuntary manslaughter charges laid in hazing death of Bowling Green student Stone Foltz
- A grand jury has indicted eight people, including seven students at Ohio's Bowling Green State University, in connection with the death of a 20-year-old business major following an off-campus party. Stone Foltz died March 7 , three days after he attended a Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity event at a house,...
Frat Brothers Give Their
Old Cook a Generous Surprise
Apr 14, 2021 8:41 AM CDT
Frat Brothers Give Their Old Cook a Generous Surprise
LSU's Phi Gamma Delta brothers donate to pay off Jessie Hamilton's mortgage
- Jessie Hamilton says she's worked at least two jobs, and sometimes four, ever since she was 14. She's now 74 and finally ready to retire, thanks to a generous act from some of the people she's served throughout her career. Fourteen of those years, from 1982 to...
I'd Never Seen Him
'More Drunk in
His Entire Life'
Mar 8, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Student's Roommate: I'd Never Seen Him 'More Drunk in His Entire Life'
Bowling Green University sophomore Stone Foltz, 20, dead after apparent Pi Kappa Alpha hazing
- A sophomore business major at Ohio's Bowling Green State University who was in critical condition for three days at ProMedica Toledo Hospital has died—an apparent result of a fraternity hazing, reports ABC News . Sean Alto, an attorney representing the family of Stone Foltz, says the 20-year-old had attended...
Family Suspects Hazing
in Student's Death
Mar 2, 2021 5:11 PM CST
Family Suspects Hazing in Student's Death
Adam Oakes went to an off-campus party for Delta Chi initiation
- Adam Oakes had, at last, been asked to join a fraternity at Virginia Commonwealth University. On Friday night, Oakes, 19, went to an off-campus party for the first step in his Delta Chi initiation, CNN reports. "He had already tried to get into other fraternities and had been turned...
Arrest After LSU Frat Member
Ends Up on Life Support
Nov 5, 2020 2:00 AM CST
Arrest After LSU Frat Member Ends Up on Life Support
Fraternity member is accused of multiple counts of hazing
- A Louisiana State University student was arrested Monday and charged with hazing in connection with an October incident. Authorities say members of an LSU fraternity dropped a student off at a Baton Rouge hospital Oct. 19. That unidentified freshman was unresponsive with "pink frothy foam" coming from his mouth...
UGA Frat Suspended After
Racist Group Chat Emerges
Sep 23, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
UGA Frat Suspended After Racist Group Chat Emerges
Arianna Mbunwe says University of Georgia is now 'victim-blaming' her for posts that targeted her
- A fraternity at the University of Georgia suspended itself after racist messages from a group chat were shared online. Screenshots of the messages were shared Saturday by junior Arianna Mbunwe, who started receiving tips about wrongdoing after mocking fellow students' coronavirus practices on Twitter, per the
New York Times
Student Found Dead
at Stanford University
Jan 20, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Student Found Dead at Stanford University
Not much is yet known about male sophomore found in Theta Delta Chi fraternity house
- It's not yet clear what happened to a male sophomore at Stanford University who was found dead Friday morning inside an on-campus fraternity house, the
reports. The Palo Alto Fire Department found the unresponsive student in the Theta Delta Chi house and tried to revive him but...
Student Was Taken to Spot
Where Body Was Found: Lawyer
Nov 28, 2019 2:20 PM CST
Student Was Taken to Spot Where Body Was Found: Lawyer
Reward brings information in about freshman's death
- Private investigators hired by parents trying to understand the death of their 18-year-old son are concentrating on the fraternity party he attended on his last night. A lawyer for the parents said a $10,000 reward has brought in new information,
reports. The body of Antonio Tsialas, a...
Nov 20, 2019 6:20 PM CST
9 Charged After Student Dies Amid Alleged Frat Hazing
Indictments include involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide
- The death of an Ohio University student and a related investigation into alleged hazing by fraternity members has led to charges against nine people, including two former students indicted for involuntary manslaughter and another for reckless homicide, the AP reports. The Athens County prosecutor announced indictments Tuesday related to the...
Parents on Freshman's Death:
'No One Has Said Anything'
Nov 19, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Parents on Freshman's Death: 'No One Has Said Anything'
Cornell's Antonio Tsialas found dead after leaving frat party
- The full-page ad in Cornell's student newspaper offers a $10,000 reward—and a plea: Tell us how and why our son died. Freshman Antonio Tsialas, 18, was found dead in a gorge in Ithaca, NY, where a river plunges more than 150 feet over rock cliffs, on Oct....
Syracuse Shuts Down Social
Activities at All Fraternities
Nov 17, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Syracuse Shuts Down Social Activities at All Fraternities
A reported racial slur prompted the move
- An African American student at Syracuse University reported being called a racial slur over the weekend, prompting the college to suspend a fraternity Sunday and shut down social activities for all other fraternities for the rest of the semester pending an investigation, the AP reports. The student told officials the...
San Diego Student Dies
After Fraternity Event
Nov 12, 2019 7:10 AM CST
San Diego Student Dies After Fraternity Event
SDSU suspends 14 frats in response
- San Diego State University has placed 14 fraternities on suspension after the death of a Phi Gamma Delta pledge. The county medical examiner's office says Dylan Hernandez was hospitalized on Thursday morning after he was found unresponsive in his dorm room, the
San Diego Union-Tribune
reports. Hernandez, who turned...
Suit: 5 Took Their Lives
at Frat Leader's Urging
Aug 2, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Suit: 5 Took Their Lives at Frat Leader's Urging
'There were too many similarities'
- A disturbing lawsuit out of Missouri claims a fraternity member at Truman State University successfully urged five of his friends to kill themselves in a single year. Alpha Kappa Lambda members Alex Mullins, Jacob Hughes, Josh Thomas, and two others who weren't part of the frat died between August...
'Offensive' Photo Taken
at Emmett Till Site Surfaces
Jul 26, 2019 9:19 AM CDT
'Offensive' Photo Taken at Emmett Till Site Surfaces
3 Ole Miss students held guns in front of bullet-riddled sign honoring slain civil-rights icon
- Three University of Mississippi students have been suspended from their frat over a photo that shows them posing, two with guns, in front of a civil rights landmark honoring slain black teen Emmett Till . ProPublica and the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting report the suspension of Ben LeClere, John Lowe,...
Gets Frat Suspended
May 14, 2019 8:56 AM CDT
Doggie Kegstand Gets Frat Suspended
SPCA investigating video posted Saturday to Snapchat
- A man holds a dog upside down as another shoots beer from a keg into its mouth. "Let's go!" voices shout as laughter erupts. Yet there were plenty who weren't amused by the 5-second Snapchat video filmed Saturday at an off-campus fraternity of Long Island's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.