Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the most recent news articles and studies about racism on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Says She Was
Banned From Flight After
Using 'Teacher Voice'
Aug 10, 2022 4:11 PM CDT
Woman Says She Was Banned From Flight After Using 'Teacher Voice'
She says American Airlines manager didn't like her tone
- Kyleema Norman, a deputy superintendent at the New York City Department of Education, says she used her "teacher voice" to speak to airline staffers about a delay—and ended up getting barred from her American Airlines flight because a staffer didn't like her tone. Norman tells the
on Busy Italian Street:
'You Are Killing Him!'
Aug 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Vendor Murdered on Busy Italian Street: 'You Are Killing Him!'
32-year-old Italian man has been arrested for death of Nigerian migrant Alika Ogorchukwu, 39
- A man is in custody for murder after a Nigerian immigrant was killed in the middle of the day on a busy Italian street. Police say 39-year-old Alika Ogorchukwu, who'd reportedly been living in Italy for nearly a decade and made a living selling items such as lighters and...
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
for Juneteenth, With
a Racist Message
Jun 23, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Business Closes for Juneteenth, With a Racist Message
Maine insurance agency is taking heat for sign referencing a well-worn stereotype
- Many US businesses shuttered on Monday to mark the federal holiday Juneteenth, but one company in Maine is now taking heat for the way it chose to announce its closing. CNBC notes the import of the holiday, which commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union Army soldiers showed up in Texas...
School District's Diversity Chief
Quit Before She Even Started
Jun 18, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
School District's Diversity Chief Quit Before She Even Started
ProPublica dives deep into the story of a Black educator driven out of 2 jobs by white parents
- In early 2021, Cecilia Lewis was looking forward to pulling up roots from her Maryland home and starting a new job as a Georgia school district's first administrator for diversity, equity, and inclusion. What Lewis had seen as an exciting opportunity, however, never panned out, thanks to white parents...
Star of New
Jun 1, 2022 8:52 AM CDT
Franchise Defends Black Star of New Disney+ Show
Ewan McGregor, others support Moses Ingram of 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' series after racist remarks
- The excitement over
, the latest
series on Disney+, has permeated the internet , but along with the positive buzz, a more disturbing development has emerged. Moses Ingram, the
actress who plays the Inquisitor Reva in the new Disney program that premiered Friday, revealed on...
Poll: Most Black Americans
Fear More Racial Attacks
May 22, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Poll: Most Black Americans Fear More Racial Attacks
Most say white supremacy is a bigger problem than it was 5 years ago
- Black people in the US were well aware of the danger racism posed to them before the shootings in Buffalo, polling confirmed. Since then, the concern is clear: Three-fourths of Black people are concerned that they or someone they love will be attacked physically because they're Black, a Washington...
at High School:
'My Heart Dropped'
May 19, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Signs Over Water Fountains at High School: 'My Heart Dropped'
Cincinnati students are being disciplined for 'whites only,' 'Blacks only' signs, photos shared online
- Students at an Ohio high school are in hot water after racist signs were placed in the school and used as props for social media posts. NBC News reports that those signs at Cincinnati's Colerain High School read "whites only" and "Blacks only" and were placed over...
District Probes 'Shameful
Incident' at Middle School
May 19, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
District Probes 'Shameful Incident' at Middle School
6 middle school students used giant letters to spell out racial slur
- Six Florida middle school students who used large letters to spell out a racial slur can expect the "appropriate disciplinary consequences," the district says. The Martin County School District launched an investigation after a photo appeared on social media of the male students standing outside Hidden Oaks Middle...
Birthplace of Jazz
Mar 25, 2022 9:53 AM CDT
Head-Scratching Century-Old Rule Reversed in Birthplace of Jazz
School board in New Orleans lifts ban on teaching jazz
- It's hard to imagine jazz music being banned in any US public schools, let alone schools in New Orleans, known as the birthplace of jazz. But there's actually a policy on the books in the Big Easy that prohibits students from learning about the genre or taking part...
Zoe Kravitz: I Was
Rejected as Too 'Urban'
Mar 8, 2022 4:10 PM CST
Zoe Kravitz: I Was Rejected as Too 'Urban'
Current Catwoman says a previous Batman movie wasn't as welcoming
- Zoe Kravitz may be the new Catwoman , but nabbing that dream movie role was a lengthy process—one that involved a rejection based on the color of her skin, the biracial actor-musician tells the
. A decade before her debut as Selina Kyle in Matt Reeves'
, which topped...
Heckling Mayor Wu.
Except It Wasn't Her
Feb 19, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Protester Kept Heckling Mayor Wu. Except It Wasn't Her
Protester was actually mistakenly jeering at a different Asian American woman
- A voting rights presser on the Boston Common this week drew not only locals rallying support for get-out-the-vote efforts, but also one man who really wanted to criticize Mayor Michelle Wu. MassLive.com reports the protester, decked out in a mask and sunglasses, showed up at the Monday news conference...
Coach Sues NFL
Feb 2, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Fired Dolphins Coach Sues NFL
Brian Flores alleges racial discrimination
- The former head coach of the Miami Dolphins is suing the NFL after his firing last month, alleging racial discrimination. Brian Flores' termination came as a surprise to many, considering his winning record with the team this season, Deadline reports. His class-action suit claims the league, which currently has just...
'Inexcusable' Assignment at
Middle School Spurs Outrage
Jan 17, 2022 11:13 AM CST
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
'Blatant racism,' remarks one parent who's publicizing the Spanish homework at NY school
- A Western New York middle school is making headlines for a Spanish homework assignment that's drawing cries of "blatant racism." CNN reports that the assignment distributed last month to sixth graders at the Williamsville Central School District's Mill Middle School, located in a suburb of Buffalo,...
La. Judge Resigns
Over Her 'Hurtful Words'
Jan 1, 2022 6:30 AM CST
La. Judge Resigns Over Her 'Hurtful Words'
Michelle Odinet had been caught on video saying n-word, comparing Black people to roaches
A Louisiana judge caught on video saying the n-word has resigned. Lafayette City Court Judge Michelle Odinet had already taken an unpaid leave of absence after the clip of her using the racial slur—recorded as she watched surveillance footage of an attempted burglary outside her home—circulated online...
One NBA Legend
on COVID Meme
Dec 29, 2021 11:41 AM CST
One NBA Legend Schools Another on COVID Meme
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says LeBron James' Spider-Man post was 'blow to his worthy legacy'
- LeBron James asked for advice on COVID, and he got it—though he may not have liked the answer he received from a fellow basketball great. The hubbub started on Christmas Eve, when the 36-year-old Los Angeles Lakers forward posted a cartoon on Instagram that showed a variation on the...
'Truly Shocking Language'
Lands Woman in Jail
Dec 14, 2021 12:20 PM CST
'Truly Shocking Language' Lands Woman in Jail
Sharna Walker of England sentenced in racially aggravated assault on bouncer
- A British woman will spend Christmas behind bars after a racially charged attack on a nightclub bouncer. Widely shared video footage showed 25-year-old Sharna Walker of Worcester being kicked out of The Figure of Eight bar in Birmingham, England, on May 22. West Midlands Police said she upended furniture before...
Salvation Army Racism Guide
Angers Some Conservatives
Nov 27, 2021 1:27 PM CST
Salvation Army Racism Guide Angers Some Conservatives
Some withdraw support after pamphlet advises against being 'colorblind'
- The Salvation Army released some new literature in April about racism and not all of its donors are happy. The church and charitable organization’s new initiative comes with what it calls a “ voluntary discussion guide ” that bills itself as representative of the organization’s “desire for...
Governor Slams Tweet Offering
$500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Nov 19, 2021 1:38 PM CST
Governor Slams Tweet Offering $500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Moms for Liberty group offers reward for educators breaking state law on racism discussions
- Last week, New Hampshire's Department of Education announced it had set up an online portal where parents could lodge discrimination complaints against teachers. Now, the state's governor is slamming a local conservative group's response to that announcement, reports the AP . New Hampshire has a new law on...
'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Protesters Confront 'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Demonstrations have gone on for a decade against controversial Dutch sidekick to Santa
- About 100 anti-racism protesters chanted "Kick out Black Pete!" on Saturday at an event where children could meet the Dutch version of Santa Claus and his controversial sidekick. The "Black Pete" character, often played by adults wearing blackface makeup, has sparked a decade of demonstrations and counterdemonstrations...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.