Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Murdered 'Boy in the Box'
ID'd 65 Years Later
Dec 8, 2022 11:44 AM CST
Murdered 'Boy in the Box' ID'd 65 Years Later
Philadelphia cops hope for 'avalanche of tips' in cold case murder of Joseph Augustus Zarelli
- For 65 years, Philadelphia police have worked to identify a boy found dead—beaten and malnourished—inside a cardboard box left in a wooded area in the northeastern part of the city on Feb. 25, 1957. Thanking the many people who've worked on the investigation over the decades, Philadelphia...
After School Lets Out Early,
4 Injured in Drive-by Shooting
Nov 23, 2022 2:53 PM CST
After School Lets Out Early, 4 Injured in Drive-by Shooting
Philadelphia students hospitalized in stable condition
- Four students were injured in an apparent drive-by shooting shortly after their Philadelphia high school let out early for the day on Wednesday, a city schools spokesperson says. "One was shot in the shoulder, one was shot in the knee, and the two others have graze wounds," the...
in Tiff With
Nov 19, 2022 11:30 AM CST
NBA Star Flings Ladder in Tiff With Arena Staffer
Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo lost his cool in confrontation after game in Philly
- Milwaukee star Giannis Antetokounmpo argued with an arena worker and flung a ladder away from a basket, sending it toppling over as he tried to shoot practice free throws after the Bucks' 110-102 loss to Philadelphia on Friday night. After going 4 for 15 from the line, Antetokounmpo returned to...
Court Hears Case of Woman
Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Nov 17, 2022 1:30 AM CST
Court Hears Case of Woman Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Ellen Greenberg's parents may soon take their case to trial
- After more than a decade fighting the Philadelphia medical examiner's office on their daughter's cause of death, lawyers for Ellen Greenberg's parents made their case in front of a Pennsylvania appeals court Tuesday. "We are cautiously optimistic that the panel will find the estate of Ellen...
With 40 Rotisserie Chickens,
He Becomes a Philly Legend
Nov 7, 2022 1:28 PM CST
With 40 Rotisserie Chickens, He Becomes a Philly Legend
Alexander Tominsky wanted to bring joy to others, and 40 rotisserie chickens did exactly that
- As pro sports go, Philadelphia had a rough weekend, with teams on Saturday losing both the World Series and the Major League Soccer Cup within a few hours of each other. But the city caught a taste of redemption Sunday afternoon, when a crowd gathered to watch Alexander Tominsky—described...
Gunmen Open Fire
Outside Bar, Wound 9
Nov 6, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Gunmen Open Fire Outside Bar, Wound 9
Attackers didn't care that officers were in the area, Philadelphia police say
- At least nine people were wounded in a shooting outside a Philadelphia bar Saturday night in which there was no clear motive, police said. The Philadelphia Police Department said the victims were shot around 10:45pm, the AP reports. Police said gunmen emerged from a black vehicle parked in the...
DA: FedEx Worker Killed
Driving Instructor After
Oct 26, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
DA: FedEx Worker Killed Driving Instructor After Failing Evaluation
Philadelphia man 'decided to retaliate in the worst way possible'
- A Philadelphia man who was denied a promotion at FedEx "decided to retaliate in the worst way possible," prosecutors say. Keith Lamont Blount, 59, is accused of murdering a FedEx driving instructor who made the decision not to promote him to driver, Fox reports. Prosecutors say Blount ambushed...
Convicted Cop Killer:
Prosecutors Messed With Jury
Oct 26, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Convicted Cop Killer: Prosecutors Messed With Jury
Mumia Abu-Jamal's retrial request goes before judge in Philadelphia
- A judge on Wednesday will review a retrial request from a prominent former member of the Black Panthers, imprisoned since 1982 for the murder of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. The request is based on fresh evidence Mumia Abu-Jamal says backs his long-held assertion that he was framed. His conviction...
the 'Rattiest' City
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Congrats, NYC: You're Not the 'Rattiest' City in America
Chicago takes that honor in rankings by Orkin pest control company; the Big Apple comes in 2nd
- Think "rats in the city," and many people are likely to envision the rodents who creep around in the Big Apple's alleyways and subway system. It's not New York City, though, but Chicago atop Orkin's list of the "rattiest" cities in America.
Oct 8, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
City Issues Apology for Black Inmate Experiments
Albert Kligman conducted unethical tests in the 1950s through '70s
- The City of Philadelphia issued an apology Thursday for the unethical medical experiments performed on inmates, most of whom were Black, at its Holmesburg Prison from the 1950s through the 1970s. The move comes after community activists and families of some of those inmates raised the need for a formal...
5 High School Football Players
Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Sep 28, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
5 High School Football Players Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Boy, 14, dies in Pennsylvania shooting
- As five high school football players were walking off the field after a scrimmage against two other teams Tuesday afternoon, police say they were ambushed by two gunmen behind a high school in a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, neighborhood. A 14-year-old boy was shot in the chest and pronounced dead at a...
Philadelphia Cuts Down
Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
in case you missed it
Sep 25, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Workers mistook them for weeds
- The Philadelphia Brewing Company won't be releasing its popular Harvest From the Hood pale ale this year because overzealous city workers destroyed the crop of hops it was growing in a lot next to the brewery. Brewery co-owner Nancy Barton says the hops—fast-growing climbing plants—were being grown...
Ex-Philadelphia Cop Guilty
in Death of Black Motorist
Sep 21, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Ex-Philadelphia Cop Guilty in Death of Black Motorist
Jury found Eric Ruch Jr. guilty of voluntary manslaughter in 2017 shooting
- A white Philadelphia police officer was convicted Wednesday of voluntary manslaughter and a weapons charge in the fatal shooting of an unarmed Black motorist shot six seconds after the officer arrived on the scene. Officer Eric Ruch Jr. told jurors he feared for his life when he fired at Dennis...
4 Juveniles Surrender After
Deadly Attack on Man, 73
Jul 14, 2022 5:16 AM CDT
4 Juveniles Surrender After Deadly Attack on Man, 73
Two 14-year-olds have been charged in connection with Philadelphia attack
- Police in Philadelphia say a 14-year-old girl has surrendered to authorities in connection with a disturbing attack that killed a 73-year-old man last month. A 14-year-old boy turned himself in on Monday and both suspects have been charged with third-degree murder and conspiracy, 6ABC reports. Police say James Lambert was...
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead
for Driving Too Slowly
Jun 30, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
'This was a horrendous, unnecessary death,' police chief says
- Days after a Subway employee was fatally shot by a customer who complained about too much mayo on his sandwich, another senseless killing: Police say a man was shot dead near Philadelphia Wednesday morning because somebody thought he was driving too slowly. Authorities say 54-year-old King Hau was fatally shot...
Philippine Gov't Attorney
Killed in Uber on
Jun 20, 2022 1:50 AM CDT
Philippine Gov't Attorney Killed in Uber on US Vacation
It's not clear whether he was targeted
- A government attorney for the Philippines was fatally shot in an Uber while visiting Philadelphia, officials said Sunday. John Albert Laylo was heading to Philadelphia International Airport with his mother to board a flight and was stopped in the Uber at a red light near the University of Pennsylvania around...
Collapse Traps Philadelphia
Firefighters, and One Dies
Jun 19, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Collapse Traps Philadelphia Firefighters, and One Dies
Lt. Sean Williamson could not be saved
- A building caught fire and later collapsed in Philadelphia, killing one firefighter and injuring five other people, authorities said. The fire was reported just before 2am Saturday in north Philadelphia, per the AP . Eight occupants were safely evacuated and the fire had been declared under control, officials said. At 3:...
Fire, Then Building Collapse
Kills Philly Firefighter
Jun 18, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fire, Then Building Collapse Kills Philly Firefighter
4 other firefighters and a city inspector were pulled from the rubble and are now in stable condition
- One firefighter has died after being trapped in a building that caught fire in Philadelphia and then collapsed early Saturday, fire officials said. The fallen firefighter wasn't immediately identified, but Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy said he was a 27-year department veteran, per the AP . Four other firefighters and...
At Least 5 Gunmen Involved in
Philadelphia Mass Shooting
Jun 6, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
At Least 5 Gunmen Involved in Philadelphia Mass Shooting
Police give more details on shootings that left 3 dead
- Police have confirmed there were multiple gunmen during the shooting on Philadelphia's South Street that left three dead and 11 hurt Saturday night, but they have not yet identified any suspects. According to the
, police say it was about 11pm when two men dressed in black ran...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Sunny Balwani's Sentence Is Longer Than Elizabeth Holmes'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.