Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Stories 1 - 20 |
Driver Who Hit
It Was an Accident
Nov 22, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Driver Who Hit Sheriff's Recruits: It Was an Accident
Nicholas Gutierrez, initially arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, says he fell asleep
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said 25 recruits were injured , several critically, when a driver deliberately plowed into them as they jogged near a training center in South Whittier on Wednesday. The driver tells a very different story. In an interview with KNBC , 22-year-old Nicholas Gutierrez says he was...
No Charges for Cops
in Killing of Man Who
Was 'Biking While Black'
Nov 16, 2022 1:29 AM CST
No Charges for Cops in Killing of Man Who Was 'Biking While Black'
DA's office finds they were acting in self-defense when they fired on Dijon Kizzee
- Two Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies will not be charged in the fatal shooting of a man who was, the attorneys for his family say, killed for "biking while Black." Christian Morales and Michael Garcia stopped Dijon Kizzee for riding his bicycle in the wrong direction; he...
Teen Used Rocks
to Alert Rescuers
Apr 6, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Missing Nonverbal Teen Used Rocks to Alert Rescuers
16-year-old was helped out of forest after clinking rocks together
- A nonverbal teenager who became lost while hiking in dense wilderness in Southern California was found safe Sunday after he banged rocks together to alert rescuers. The 16-year-old developmentally disabled teen had been hiking with his mother and sister in Crescenta Valley Park in Glendale, Calif., when he uncharacteristically ran...
All Aboard Survive Crash
of Sheriff's Helicopter
Mar 20, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
All Aboard Survive Crash of Sheriff's Helicopter
NTSB investigates after 6 are injured
- Authorities on Sunday were investigating the crash of a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department rescue helicopter in Southern California mountains that left six people injured. The department's Air Rescue 5 helicopter crashed shortly before 5pm Saturday while responding to a vehicle that rolled over on a winding road...
Cops Raid Home
of Marilyn Manson
Nov 30, 2021 8:02 AM CST
Cops Raid Home of Marilyn Manson
Los Angeles County detectives probing sexual assault allegations
- Detectives with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department raided the West Hollywood home of Marilyn Manson on Monday, months after launching an investigation into sexual assault allegations against the 52-year-old singer. Manson, whose real name is Brian Hugh Warner, was not home as Special Victims Unit detectives forced their...
Retired Homicide Detective
Found Dead in Freezer
Sep 22, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Retired Homicide Detective Found Dead in Freezer
Daughter of 87-year-old Miriam Travis is a 'person of interest,' police in Riverside say
- Miriam Travis, a former Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department homicide detective, retired from the force more than 30 years ago. Authorities are now trying to determine how much of that time she spent dead in a freezer. The 87-year-old's body was found Sunday in the garage of the...
LA County Seizes Illegal Pot
Valued at a Record $1B
Jul 7, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
LA County Seizes Illegal Pot Valued at a Record $1B
Sheriff warns growers for cartels: 'Your days are over'
- In a 10-day operation in California's Antelope Valley, sheriff's officials said they seized 373,000 marijuana plants and 33,480 pounds of harvested marijuana. The estimated street value of the pot is more than $1 billion, officials said, making it the biggest haul ever in Los Angeles County,...
Mar 18, 2021 1:52 AM CDT
Vanessa Bryant Shares Sheriff's Deputies' Names
Judge cleared the way for Kobe Bryant's widow to do so last week
- Kobe Bryant's widow, Vanessa Bryant, on Wednesday posted the names of four Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies she alleges shared graphic photos from the site of the helicopter crash that killed her husband, their daughter, Gianna, and seven others. Bryant's Instagram posts include images of portions of...
Mar 1, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant Wants Deputies' Names Released
She says they took pictures of Kobe Bryant crash site
- Vanessa Bryant wants a US court to release the names of the four Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies she says took and shared photos of her late husband, Kobe Bryant, after he, their daughter, and seven others died in a helicopter crash last year. The request is part of...
Stay Off Radar
Oct 2, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Attacks by Police Dogs Stay Off Radar
Those bitten are nearly all male, disproportionately Black
- There's evidence of another way force is used disproportionately, often without accountability, by police departments around the country. About 3,600 people—almost all men—are treated in emergency rooms each year for bites inflicted by police dogs. Statistics for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and Ferguson,...
2 Cops Shot in Head
Sep 22, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
2 Cops Shot in Head Leave Hospital
Both LA County sheriff's deputies are expected to enter long-term care
- The two Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies who were shot in the head in an ambush are now out of hospital. Officials announced the release of the female deputy , a 31-year-old mother, on Monday. The 24-year-old male deputy was released on Wednesday. Both are to enter long-term care facilities,...
'Heart-Wrenching' Video Shows
LA Deputy Aiding Hurt Partner
Sep 15, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
'Heart-Wrenching' Video Shows LA Deputy Aiding Hurt Partner
Sheriff calls it a 'double miracle' that 2 deputies, both shot in head, are now in stable condition
- In what the Los Angeles County sheriff is calling a "double miracle," two rookie Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies who were ambushed and shot in the head in Compton on Saturday night are now in stable condition after surgery at a Lynwood hospital. A newly surfaced surveillance...
'Deputies Down': Big Reward
Offered in LA Shooting
Sep 14, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
'Deputies Down': Big Reward Offered in LA Shooting
2 Los Angeles County officers are expected to survive; reporter arrested during protests
- The search continues for the gunman who shot two Los Angeles County deputies at close range over the weekend, and authorities hope a new incentive will help. The county sheriff's department has announced a $100,000 reward, reports NBC News . Surveillance video shows that the gunman walked up to...
Broke Bike Rule,
Was Shot '20+ Times'
Sep 2, 2020 12:27 PM CDT
Man Allegedly Broke Bike Rule, Was Shot '20+ Times'
Dijon Kizzee's death at the hands of LA County sheriff's deputies is roiling LA
- Dijon Kizzee. That's the name of a 29-year-old Black man fatally shot by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Westmont on Monday. As of early Wednesday, the names of the deputies involved hadn't been released, despite calls from family and activists. "...
Sheriff Says 8 Deputies Shared
Gruesome Kobe Crash Photos
Mar 3, 2020 3:48 AM CST
Sheriff Says 8 Deputies Shared Gruesome Kobe Crash Photos
They were ordered to delete photos
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says he felt a "sense of betrayal" when he found out that as many as eight deputies allegedly took and shared graphic photos of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight others. The sheriff tells CNN that the only people authorized...
Report: Cops Shared
Graphic Photos of
Kobe Crash Scene
Feb 28, 2020 4:42 AM CST
Report: Cops Shared Graphic Photos of Kobe Crash Scene
Sheriff's department is investigating allegations
- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department says it is investigating allegations that deputies leaked graphic photos of the helicopter crash that killed NBA legend Kobe Bryant and eight others last month. Sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
that days after the crash, first responders discussed the inappropriate sharing of...
Deputy 'Shot by Sniper'
Really Wasn't: Sheriff
Aug 25, 2019 11:45 AM CDT
Deputy 'Shot by Sniper' Really Wasn't: Sheriff
Deputy Angel Reinosa will likely be relieved of duty
- A California sheriff's deputy who claimed he was shot by a sniper has 'fessed up: He really wasn't, authorities say. In a Saturday night presser, Capt. Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept. said Deputy Angel Reinosa's tale grew thinner when he was...
FBI Investigates Gangs
in LA—of Deputies
Jul 11, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
FBI Investigates Gangs in LA—of Deputies
'Los Angeles Times' reports on tattooed groups within the sheriff's department
- The FBI is investigating gang-like groups in Los Angeles—and in a twist, the alleged members are sheriff's deputies. The probe focuses on tattooed groups within the LA County Sheriff's Department with names such as the Spartans, the Regulators, the Reapers, and the Banditos, reports the
Former LA Sheriff Sentenced
to 3 Years in Federal Prison
May 12, 2017 6:59 PM CDT
Former LA Sheriff Sentenced to 3 Years in Federal Prison
Lee Baca was found guilty of obstruction of justice
- A longtime Los Angeles County sheriff was sentenced to three years in federal prison Friday by a judge who accused him of "blind obedience to a corrupt culture," the AP reports. According to KABC , Lee Baca, who served as sheriff for 15 years, was found guilty of obstructing...
Cops Grab Suspect's Gun
Without Lifting a Finger
Sep 16, 2016 10:31 AM CDT
Cops Grab Suspect's Gun Without Lifting a Finger
'The robot was a game changer'
- After an attempted murder suspect armed with a rifle was chased into the desert on Sept. 8, he barricaded himself using a dirt berm and wire fencing; Los Angeles County sheriffs say they tried for six hours to get him to surrender. Finally, officers skillfully plucked the gun right out...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.