Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Roller Coaster Strands 22
May 16, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Roller Coaster Strands 22
Ride turns into rescue at Phoenix amusement park
- Firefighters safely rescued 22 people who were stuck for about two hours when a roller coaster stalled mid-ride in Phoenix. The cars stopped on a banked curve about 20 feet off the ground on the Desert Storm ride at Castles N' Coasters, CNN reports. "It was scary because we...
Here's Where Millennials Are
Flocking to Across America
Apr 17, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Here's Where Millennials Are Flocking to Across America
The 25-to-39 set is defecting from big cities to smaller ones
- Before the pandemic, millennials were already starting to ditch America's biggest cities, leaving New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles for opportunities in cozier urban enclaves, per CNBC . COVID hasn't changed that trend, and SmartAsset wanted to see which smaller cities draw the demographic of those ages 25 to...
Here Are the
US Cities Hardest
Oct 26, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Here Are the US Cities Hardest Hit Financially by COVID
Half of America's top 10 are located in one state
- With more than 225,000 dead and 8.6 million cases of COVID-19 in the US, the health consequences of the virus are obvious. But the financial repercussions have also been devastating, and some areas are suffering more than others. WalletHub looked at the biggest US cities across nine metrics...
For 20 Weeks in 2020, This
City Saw Triple-Digit Temps
Oct 16, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
For 20 Weeks in 2020, This City Saw Triple-Digit Temps
Phoenix shattered a bunch of heat records this year
- It's been a hot Arizona summer, and nowhere more so than in the state's capital. "Almost every heat record that we have here in Phoenix, we've broken this year—shattered some of those records, even," a National Weather Service meteorologist tells the
Oct 9, 2020 2:45 AM CDT
Waymo Launches Fully Driverless Ride Service
Phoenix vehicles will no longer have backup drivers
- Waymo is allowing the general public to hitch a ride in its driverless autonomous vehicles in Phoenix, expanding a service it had been quietly offering to a select group of riders for the past year. The vehicles, which will have no back-up drivers behind the wheel to take over in...
Federal Security Officer
Shot Outside Courthouse
Sep 15, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Federal Security Officer Shot Outside Courthouse
Phoenix suspect is in custody
- A drive-by shooting wounded a federal security officer outside the US courthouse in downtown Phoenix on Tuesday, and a person was later taken into custody, authorities said. The officer was taken to a hospital and was expected to recover, according to city police and the FBI. Jill McCabe, a spokeswoman...
Sister's Long Crusade
Ends in Murder Charge
Aug 26, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Sister's Long Crusade Ends in Murder Charge
Sarah Turney celebrates her stepfather's arrest
- Not everyone celebrates when their stepfather gets arrested. But then, not everyone is Sarah Turney: "I'm shaking and I'm crying," she tweeted Thursday. "We did it you guys. He's been arrested. Omg Loudly crying face thank you." Turney had waged a long social...
Phoenix to Pay $475K
to Couple Threatened
During Shoplifting Arrest
Aug 24, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Phoenix to Pay $475K to Couple Threatened During Shoplifting Arrest
Father says he feared cops were going to execute him
- A Black couple who feared Phoenix police officers were going to shoot them over a doll their 4-year-old daughter took from a Dollar Tree are set to receive a payout from the city. The
reports that Phoenix City Council is expected to approve a $475,000 payment to...
Teen Vanished in 2001 on Last
Day of School. Now, an Arrest
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Teen Vanished in 2001 on Last Day of School. Now, an Arrest
Michael Turney, stepdad to missing 17-year-old Alissa Turney, has been charged
- In 2001, a high school junior from Phoenix disappeared on her last day of school. Now, nearly two decades later, a suspect is in custody, thanks to her sister's perseverance and dogged investigative work. Arrested Thursday in Mesa, Ariz., and charged with second-degree murder in the case of Alissa...
Phoenix Breaks 'Record
Nobody Really Wants'
Aug 11, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Phoenix Breaks 'Record Nobody Really Wants'
2020 has brought 35 days above 110 degrees, with more expected
- The hottest US city has broken its own record for most 110-degree days in a year—"a record nobody really wants," a meteorologist tells the
Phoenix cracked 110 degrees for its 34th day of the year on Sunday, surpassing the previous record of 33 days set...
Arrest Made After Fire at
Arizona Democratic HQ
Jul 30, 2020 4:27 AM CDT
Arrest Made After Fire at Arizona Democratic HQ
Former volunteer Matthew Egler accused of arson
- Authorities on Wednesday announced an arrest in an arson fire that destroyed much of the Arizona and Maricopa County Democratic Party headquarters. Phoenix police said 29-year-old Matthew Egler was booked on one count of arson of an occupied structure. No information about a possible motive was disclosed and it was...
Retired Marine Dives for
Child Thrown Off Balcony
Jul 11, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Retired Marine Dives for Child Thrown Off Balcony
But Phillip Blanks says he wasn't 'the real hero'
- A former high school football star dove and caught a child who was dropped from a burning building last week, the
reports. Phillip Blanks, 28, was at his friend's apartment in Phoenix when he heard shouting and ran outside. Then he saw a woman—identified by 12NEWS...
Shop Owner Posts
Edgy Mask Sign
That Goes Viral
Jul 4, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Shop Owner Posts Edgy Mask Sign That Goes Viral
Sarah Bingham denies that she's making light of seniors' plight
- Sarah Bingham says her frustration with anti-maskers entering her Arizona store was rising—in fact, it had just about peaked. "It was a conversation I had to have every day and I got kind of sick of it," she tells 12 News . So last month she created a...
4 Women Arrested After
Arizona Mom Found Dead
May 1, 2020 11:31 AM CDT
4 Women Arrested After Arizona Mom Found Dead
Suspects charged with kidnapping Melissa Valenzuela, a mother of 3
- Four women have been arrested in Arizona after a woman turned up dead days after she was observed screaming for help. Melissa Valenzuela was reported missing on March 20, three days after family members recalled seeing the 34-year-old mother of three in the company of Mercedes Gomez and Christina Gomez,...
Shot Dead During
Domestic Violence Call
Mar 30, 2020 2:48 AM CDT
Police Commander Shot Dead During Domestic Violence Call
2 officers injured in Phoenix shooting
- A Phoenix police commander was killed and two other officers were injured Sunday night in a shooting on the city's north side during a domestic violence call, police say. The department says Cmdr. Greg Carnicle was killed in the incident in the 23800 block of North 40th Drive, near...
Report: Boy Tried to Stop
Mom From Killing Baby Sister
Jan 22, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Report: Boy Tried to Stop Mom From Killing Baby Sister
Then Rachel Henry allegedly killed 3-year-old, her 3rd young child, all reportedly with her bare hands
- The 22-year-old mother arrested in the murders of her three children in Phoenix smothered each with her bare hands, according to court records. The children's father and another woman described as an "aunt" were out Monday when Rachel Henry first smothered her 1-year-old daughter—initially described as a...
3 Young Children
Jan 21, 2020 4:54 PM CST
3 Young Children Found Dead, Mom Arrested
Police say she has confessed to Monday night murders in Phoenix
- Police were called to a Phoenix home Monday night and found an awful scene: a 3-year-old boy and two girls, ages 2 and 7 months, dead in the living room. Their mother, 22-year-old Rachel Henry, was arrested, and on Tuesday police said she admitted to killing all three, AZCentral reports....
Hiker in Viral
Nov 27, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Hiker in Viral Helicopter Rescue Video Sues
Katalin Metro is reportedly willing to settle with city of Phoenix for $2M
- Back in June, the fire department captain said the hiker who was subjected to out-of-control spinning during a June helicopter rescue in Phoenix "suffered no ill effect ... other than being a little bit dizzy." But the hiker, 74-year-old Katalin Metro, begs to differ, per the
New York Post
Oct 24, 2019 11:18 AM CDT
'Angel' Car Saves Couple With Stroller
Driver of Jeep that ran red light was arrested for alleged DUI
- The video is hard to watch, but it has a (relatively) happy ending: A couple is pushing a stroller across a busy Phoenix street when a Jeep runs a red light, nearly plowing into them. Instead, at seemingly the last possible moment, it plows into a car that entered the...
5 Months After Viral
Arrest Video, Cop Fired
Oct 23, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
5 Months After Viral Arrest Video, Cop Fired
Christopher Meyer was caught on tape pointing a gun at couple who had their kids with them
- On May 27, a Phoenix police officer was caught on video pointing a gun at a car holding a man, his pregnant fiancee, and their two children, yelling, "You're going to get f---ing shot" and "I'm going to put a cap in your ass." Nearly...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.