Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lose Value if Men
See Their Faces
Aug 18, 2023 12:14 PM CDT
Taliban: Women Lose Value if Men See Their Faces
Molvi Mohammad Sadiq Akif says women who spurn hijabs risk 'falling into sin'
- Women lose value if men can see their uncovered faces in public, a spokesman for a key ministry of Afghanistan's Taliban government said Thursday, adding that religious scholars in the country agree that a woman must keep her face covered when outside the home. The Taliban, who took over...
Muslim Mayor Turned Away
by WH: 'My Crime Is My Name'
May 3, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Muslim Mayor Turned Away by WH: 'My Crime Is My Name'
New Jersey's Mohamed Khairullah, spurned from Eid event, says he's on a 'secret list'
- A New Jersey mayor is seeking answers as to why he was invited, then turned away from an Eid celebration at the White House, and he's alleging it's because his name was on the wrong list. At a Tuesday press conference , Prospect Park Mayor Mohamed Khairullah says he...
Girl Gets 'Uniform
Infraction' at School
Aug 22, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Girl Gets 'Uniform Infraction' at School —Over 'Jihab'
Teacher who wrote up 8th-grader misspelled 'hijab' on dress code violation form
- A Massachusetts school is taking heat after a teacher wrote up an eighth-grader there for wearing a hijab in class. NBC Boston reports on the incident at Mystic Valley Regional Charter School, where the girl was dinged for a "uniform infraction" for donning the religious head covering worn by...
After Murder of 4 Muslims,
Albuquerque Cops Make an Ask
Aug 8, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
After Murder of 4 Muslims, Albuquerque Cops Make an Ask
Police ask public for help in finding 'vehicle of interest'
- Cops in Albuquerque, New Mexico, are asking the public to keep a lookout for a car they think may be tied to the murder of four Muslim men in the city over the past nine months. Per CBS News , police asked anyone in the area who's seen a dark...
Headscarves Become Sticking
Point in French Election
Apr 15, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Headscarves Become Sticking Point in French Election
Rivals Marine Le Pen, Emmanuel Macron confronted by Muslims ahead of presidential runoff
- Muslim headscarves took center stage in France's presidential campaign Friday amid far-right candidate Marine Le Pen's push to ban them in the country with Western Europe's largest Muslim population. Both she and rival Emmanuel Macron, facing a tightly contested April 24 runoff, were confronted by women in...
8-Year-Old Boy Faces
Aug 9, 2021 8:25 AM CDT
8-Year-Old Boy Faces Blasphemy Charges
Hindu child and his family are now in hiding in Pakistan
- Blasphemy charges are not unusual in Pakistan, but the age of the latest suspect most definitely is: Authorities have charged an 8-year-old boy, who is currently in protective custody, reports Euro News . The boy is Hindu, and he is accused of urinating in the library of a Muslim temple where...
'I Can Only
for What I Did
Nov 25, 2020 5:25 PM CST
Muslim Model: 'I Can Only Blame Myself' for What I Did
Halima Aden says her religious beliefs fell by the wayside
- A trailblazing fashion model say she's giving up runway shows after they made her lose sight of her religious beliefs, the
reports. Halima Aden, one of the first hijab-wearing models to walk for big fashion labels, says the industry forced her to compromise too much—from wearing jeans...
Newly Elected Lawmaker Just
Pulled Off a Bunch of Firsts
Nov 5, 2020 10:45 AM CST
Newly Elected Lawmaker Just Pulled Off a Bunch of Firsts
Mauree Turner is first openly nonbinary state lawmaker, first practicing Muslim in state House
- America's first openly nonbinary state lawmaker has been elected in the Bible Belt. Mauree Turner, a 27-year-old criminal justice advocate, won Oklahoma's 88th state House district on Tuesday, achieving her goal of making the state legislature more diverse. Not only does the Democrat—who uses the pronouns she/her...
Court: Man Who Wouldn't Shake
Woman's Hand Can't Be Citizen
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 24, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Court: Man Who Wouldn't Shake Woman's Hand Can't Be Citizen
Judges reject doctor applying for German naturalization after he spurned official's gesture
- A court has decided that a Muslim doctor from Lebanon who aced his German naturalization exam shouldn't be awarded citizenship after all, after he refused to shake hands with the female official who tried to give him his naturalization certificate. Per Deutsche Welle , the 40-year-old doctor, who studied in...
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking
From Its Captivity Chains'
Jul 24, 2020 7:08 AM CDT
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking From Its Captivity Chains'
Muslims headed Friday to Istanbul's Hagia Sophia for first prayers there in nearly 9 decades
- Thousands of Muslims converged on Istanbul's landmark Hagia Sophia on Friday to take part in the first prayers in 86 years, at what was once one of Christendom's most significant cathedrals, then a mosque and museum before its reconversion into a Muslim place of worship. Turkish President Recep...
Jubilation, Dismay at Status
Change of Turkish Landmark
Jul 10, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Jubilation, Dismay at Status Change of Turkish Landmark
Muslims thrilled Hagia Sophia to be reconverted to a mosque; Orthodox Christians, not so much
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday reconverted Istanbul’s sixth-century Hagia Sophia into a mosque and declared it open to Muslim worship, hours after a court annulled a 1934 decision that had turned it into a museum. The decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia—a former cathedral that was turned...
In China, a 'Slow, Painful,
Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
In China, a 'Slow, Painful, Creeping Genocide'
AP report: Country is systematically forcing birth control on Uighurs to cut down Muslim population
- The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children. While individual women have spoken out before about...
During School Shooting, Teen
Unlocks Mosque for Students
Dec 6, 2019 9:00 AM CST
During School Shooting, Teen Unlocks Mosque for Students
17-year-old Duaa Ahmad stayed calm, acted quickly during chaos at Wisconsin high school
- When students in an AP English class at a Wisconsin high school heard a gunshot Tuesday and the teacher yelled for the students to go, what followed was a complete state of confusion and chaos. One student, however, knew just what to do as she and her classmates at Oshkosh...
2 Separate Massacres,
2 Acts of Kindness
Out of Pittsburgh
Mar 18, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
2 Separate Massacres, 2 Acts of Kindness Out of Pittsburgh
Jewish group fundraises for NZ mosque victims after Muslims did the same for Tree of Life victims
- When the Tree of Life synagogue shooting took place last October, killing 11, Muslims in the Pittsburgh area rallied to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the victims and their families. Now, in the wake of the massacre at two Muslim mosques in New Zealand that has taken the...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Poster of Muslim Rep Sparks
Anger, Injury, and a Resignation
Mar 2, 2019 10:37 AM CST
Poster of Muslim Rep Sparks Anger, Injury, and a Resignation
The rage flowed at West Virginia's Capitol
- Things got ugly Friday at the West Virginia Capitol over a poster linking a newly elected Muslim congresswoman to 9/11, the
reports. Displayed as part of "WVGOP Day," the poster shows Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota under an image of the burning Twin Towers along with...
Cops: Man Told Muslims
at McDonald's to 'Get
Out of My Country'
May 25, 2018 12:04 PM CDT
Cops: Man Told Muslims at McDonald's to 'Get Out of My Country'
John Jay Smith arrested after allegedly trying to stun-gun Egyptian exchange students
- A 60-year-old Florida man has been arrested after cops say he verbally and physically attacked two Muslim men outside a St. Augustine McDonald's. First Coast News and CBS News report John Jay Smith is accused of approaching the pair, who were chowing down on hamburgers in the eatery's...
Suit: While in Custody,
Deputies Ripped Off My Hijab
May 8, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
Suit: While in Custody, Deputies Ripped Off My Hijab
Jennifer Hyatt says Ventura County officers yanked off her hijab while she was in custody
- What started out as a husband-wife incident has led to a federal lawsuit against the sheriff's office in California's Ventura County after the wife says deputies forcibly removed her head scarf while in custody. The
Los Angeles Times
reports on the case of nurse Jennifer Hyatt, 44, who...
1st 'Burka Ban'
Oct 18, 2017 6:51 PM CDT
Quebec Passes North America's 1st 'Burka Ban'
'It will just block me from the rest of the world,' says 21-year-old niqab-wearer
- North America appears to have its first "burka ban," the
reports. Quebec's National Assembly passed Bill 62 on Wednesday, and while the law banning facial coverings doesn't specifically mention burqas or niqabs, those have certainly been the main point of debate, according to Reuters . CBC...
Sep 22, 2017 12:12 PM CDT
New Travel Ban Rules May Start Sunday
Officials say country-specific restrictions to replace Trump's travel ban
- Earlier this month, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Trump administration on one facet of the president's travel ban—but that may all be moot now, with reports filtering in that the ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority countries may now be supplanted by country-specific restrictions. Sources...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.