Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Climate Activists Hit
London's National Gallery
Nov 6, 2023 9:45 AM CST
Climate Activists Hit London's National Gallery
'Just Stop Oil' protesters smash glass protecting Diego Velazquez's 'Toilet of Venus' painting
- Two climate change protesters smashed a protective glass panel covering a famous Diego Velazquez oil painting at London's National Gallery, the group Just Stop Oil said Monday. The two activists targeted Velazquez's
The Toilet of Venus
, also known as
The Rokeby Venus
, with small hammers. Photos showed the...
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
Oct 17, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
This time in London for protesting Big Oil in front of an energy conference
- Greta Thunberg was detained by British police on Tuesday alongside other climate activists who gathered outside a central London hotel to disrupt a major oil and gas industry conference. As the AP reports, Thunberg was among dozens of chanting protesters who sought to block access to the luxury InterContinental hotel...
Protester Glues Feet
to Floor at US Open
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Protester Glues Feet to Floor at US Open
4 protesters were removed from stands before semi-final match could continue
- Coco Gauff's US Open semifinal victory over Karolina Muchova was delayed by 50 minutes because of a disruption by four environmental activists in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands Thursday night. One protester glued his bare feet to the concrete floor, per the AP . Gauff was leading 1-0 in the...
Group Calculates Climate
Reparations for Oil Companies
Jun 4, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Group Calculates Climate Reparations for Oil Companies
World's top companies would owe $209B a year, according to One Earth analysis
- The top 21 fossil fuel companies are responsible for 36% of global emissions since 1988, according to a new study , which concludes BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, and others should collectively pay at least $209 billion annually in climate reparations. Talk of who should pay climate reparations typically falls to the level...
In a First, Judge Orders Trial in
Young People's Climate Lawsuit
May 12, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
In a First, Judge Orders Trial in Young People's Climate Lawsuit
State constitution requires preserving 'a clean and healthful environment'
- A Montana judge on Friday said a climate change lawsuit from young people challenging the state's pro-fossil fuel policies will proceed to trial despite efforts by the state to derail the case. The upcoming trial in Helena would be the first of its kind in the US, according to...
HSBC Just Got
Mar 21, 2023 10:39 AM CDT
HSBC Just Got Itself Blacklisted in Texas
Lone Star State isn't happy with bank's new gas and oil financing policy
- In the view of state Comptroller Glenn Hegar, HSBC has just messed with Texas. His beef: The European banking giant took a stand in December against providing "new finance, or new advisory services" for new oil or gas fields, as well as any infrastructure "whose primary use is...
Researchers: This Is 'Smoking
Gun' on an Exxon Cover-Up
Jan 13, 2023 11:45 AM CST
Researchers: This Is 'Smoking Gun' on an Exxon Cover-Up
Oil giant made eerily accurate predictions on climate change, then misled public, scientists say
- Who needs Nostradamus when we've got Exxon? The
reports that "a trove of internal documents and research papers" has long established that Exxon, now known as ExxonMobil, knew since the 1970s of the dangers of global warming, and that other oil companies acknowledged the same decades before...
to Take a Hit in This State
Jun 3, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Cryptomining Poised to Take a Hit in This State
Landmark environmental measure slowing down operations passes New York state Legislature
- A milestone environmental measure designed to tap the brakes on the spread of cryptocurrency mining operations burning fossil fuels in New York has passed the state Legislature. The closely watched bill approved Friday by the state Senate would establish a two-year moratorium on new and renewed air permits for fossil...
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste'
of Crossing Climate Threshold
May 10, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste' of Crossing Climate Threshold
There's a 48% chance temps will reach 1.5 degrees C above preindustrial levels before 2026
- The 2015 Paris Agreement lays out the goal to try to limit global warming to a long-term average of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels. But there's already a 48% chance that we'll temporarily breach that limit in one of the next five...
at Climate Summit
May Be a Surprise
Nov 8, 2021 8:03 AM CST
Biggest Delegation at Climate Summit May Be a Surprise
Fossil fuel industry has more reps than any single nation or group
- It may not be a big surprise to learn that Brazil, home of the Amazon rainforest, has more delegates at the ongoing climate summit in Scotland than any other country. Its total of 479 easily tops No. 2 Turkey's 376 at the COP26 talks in Glasgow, per the BBC...
in Climate Protest
Oct 15, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Arrests Mount in Climate Protest
Indigenous, environmental groups push Biden and Congress on fossil fuel projects
- Indigenous groups and other environmental activists marched to the Capitol on Friday as they continued a weeklong protest demanding that Congress and the Biden administration stop new fossil fuel projects and act with greater urgency on climate change. Nearly 80 people were arrested on the fifth day of the "...
Fossil Fuel Subsidies Add
to Climate Crisis: IMF
Oct 6, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
Fossil Fuel Subsidies Add to Climate Crisis: IMF
Government aid to industry runs $11 million or so per minute, report says
- The International Monetary Fund has added up the government subsidies that went to support the fossil fuel industry in 2020: $5.9 trillion, or about $11 million per minute. On top of that, the analysis found that not one country priced its fuels high enough to cover the true supply...
Green Investor Forces
Exxon Directors Out
May 26, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Green Investor Forces Exxon Directors Out
Unprecedented revolt over climate strategy puts at least 2 new members on board
- ExxonMobil shareholders backed a hedge fund opposed to the company's approach to climate change issues by replacing board members Wednesday. It's the first such rebellion the company has ever faced, CNN Business reports. The hedge fund, Engine No. 1, won two board seats, and the races for two...
City's Move on Gas Stations
May Be a Forerunner
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2021 11:04 AM CST
City's Move on Gas Stations May Be a Forerunner
Petaluma, Calif., bans the construction of new stations
- The city of Petaluma, Calif., has just done something no other city in the US has done, reports Gizmodo —it banned the construction of new gas stations. And coverage of the decision suggests Petaluma won't be alone for long as a shift continues toward electric cars. Coverage:
Mnuchin on Greta's Fossil
Fuels Comment: Go to College
Jan 23, 2020 7:02 AM CST
Mnuchin on Greta's Fossil Fuels Comment: Go to College
Treasury secretary takes a jab at Swedish climate activist at Davos
- The person from the Trump administration usually criticizing Greta Thunberg is President Trump himself . On Thursday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, however, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin decided to get in on the action with a jab against the 17-year-old Swedish climate activist. The talk had turned to...
Have a Dirty Secret
Oct 13, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
20 Companies Have a Dirty Secret
The Climate Accountability Institute says they're responsible for 35% of emissions
- Fossil fuel companies emit greenhouse gases—we know. But a new analysis says 20 such companies are responsible for over a third of all greenhouse gas emissions since 1965, the
reports. Conducted by Richard Heede, an authority at the Climate Accountability Institute, the study says 20 companies have released...
Jun 22, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
'Militia Threats' Force State Capitol to Shut Down
It all stems from a cap-and-trade climate bill
- Oregon's state capitol is closed Saturday, and it's no holiday. State senators say they made the move after getting threats from militia groups opposed to a cap-and-trade climate bill, the
reports. State Senate President Peter Courtney announced the shutdown Friday: "The Oregon State Police have...
Here's Joe Biden's
$5T 'Big Idea'
Jun 4, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Here's Joe Biden's $5T 'Big Idea' on Climate
He says it will get us to net zero emissions by 2050
- Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden is pitching a $5 trillion-plus climate proposal that he says would lead the US to net zero emissions of carbon pollution by 2050, the AP reports. Biden's plan calls for $1.7 trillion in federal spending over 10 years, with the rest of the...
Buildings Go Dark Worldwide
Mar 30, 2019 5:50 PM CDT
Buildings Go Dark Worldwide
As millions celebrate Earth Hour
- Cities around the world were marking Earth Hour on Saturday by turning off lights at 8:30pm local time in a call for global action on climate change, the AP reports. Earth Hour, spearheaded by the World Wildlife Fund, calls for greater awareness and more sparing use of resources, especially...
Green New Deal
Fizzles in Senate
Mar 26, 2019 5:10 PM CDT
Green New Deal Fizzles in Senate
But Democrats call it a 'sham' vote
- The Senate on Tuesday defeated a proposal to take up the Green New Deal as both parties shunned an opportunity to debate a comprehensive climate change plan offered by Democrats. Majority Republicans forced the vote as they seek to turn the Green New Deal into a wedge issue in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.