Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Boy Arrested
in Mall Shooting
Oct 3, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Teen Boy Arrested in Mall Shooting
At least one person is dead in posh Thai mall, though initial reports had said 3 were slain
- A shooter opened fire inside a major shopping mall in the center of Thailand's capital Tuesday afternoon, killing at least one person before being apprehended, CNN reports, though initial reports had between two and three dead. Police said a suspect was taken into custody less than an hour after...
This Time It's
Dec 11, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cher's Rescue Tour Continues. This Time It's a Gorilla
Star is begging for help to rehome Thailand's only gorilla from a department store zoo
- If you're thinking a department store zoo doesn't sound like a great place for a gorilla, Cher agrees. The singer, fresh off of her Pakistan trip to rescue the "world's loneliest elephant," is now making a plea to Thailand to free the country's last...
Thai Royal Motorcade Heckled
Oct 15, 2020 2:45 AM CDT
Consequences After Thai Royal Motorcade Heckled
Authorities declare strict new state of emergency for Bangkok
- Thai authorities declared a strict new state of emergency for the capital on Thursday, a day after a student-led protest against the country’s traditional establishment saw an extraordinary moment in which demonstrators heckled a royal motorcade. After the pre-dawn declaration, riot police moved in to clear out demonstrators who...
Thailand Tries Bold Idea
to Cut Down on Socializing
Apr 10, 2020 3:52 PM CDT
Thailand Tries Bold Idea to Cut Down on Socializing
Alcohol sales are banned until April 20
- Thailand is trying a new tactic in its battle against the new coronavirus: banning the sale of alcoholic beverages to try to curb irresponsible socializing. With bars already ordered closed, a number of provinces, as well as the capital of Bangkok, have temporarily outlawed the sale of beer, wine, and...
Another SE Asian Nation
May Be Moving Its Capital
Sep 30, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Another SE Asian Nation May Be Moving Its Capital
Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is considering such a switch to provide relief to overcrowded Bangkok
- Bangkok is beset by a slew of issues tied to overcrowding, including pollution, traffic congestion, and even sea level rise. That's led Thailand's prime minister to consider a drastic solution: moving the capital elsewhere. The two options that seem the most feasible in Prayut Chan-o-cha's mind, per...
'Butt Selfie' by 2 Americans
Leads to Arrests in Thailand
Nov 29, 2017 12:28 PM CST
'Butt Selfie' by 2 Americans Leads to Arrests in Thailand
San Diego couple to be charged with public nudity over photo near temple
- The State Department cautions US travelers to understand foreign laws —a warning that a San Diego couple apparently failed to heed before arriving in Thailand, where a "butt selfie" has landed the pair in an immigration detention center. Thai authorities tell the BBC that a photo posted to...
Fugitive Caught in Thailand
Jul 29, 2016 9:55 AM CDT
Fugitive Caught in Thailand
Lawyer nabbed by immigration cops who noticed something ... off
- A Japanese lawyer who police say altered his appearance through plastic surgery to escape arrest for an alleged stock share manipulation scheme more than a decade ago has been captured, Thai police said Friday. Thailand's Immigration Bureau announced that Yasuo Tsubaki, sought by Japanese authorities for securities fraud amounting...
Kills 8 at Bank HQ
Mar 14, 2016 12:03 AM CDT
Chemical Accident Kills 8 at Bank HQ
Fire system upgrade went badly wrong
- A bank in Thailand says eight workers were killed in the basement of its Bangkok headquarters after mistakenly releasing chemicals during an upgrade of the building's fire safety system. Siam Commercial Bank says seven other people were injured in the accident Sunday night. The bank said in a statement...
Thai Police Hand
Own $84K Reward
Aug 31, 2015 8:23 AM CDT
Thai Police Hand Themselves Their Own $84K Reward
Money to go to officers after single arrest in Bangkok bombing
- With much fanfare, Thai police had offered an $84,000 reward for tips leading to arrests in the Bangkok bombing . Today, they handed out the cash—to themselves. They arrested a suspect Saturday, though the man has not been charged, let alone convicted. He may not even be the prime...
a 'Personal Feud'
Aug 29, 2015 10:24 AM CDT
Cops: Bangkok Bombing Was a 'Personal Feud'
Police don't elaborate, but a 28-year-old foreigner is in custody
- A 28-year-old man believed to be one of possibly 10 or more people responsible for a deadly Aug. 17 bombing in Bangkok was arrested today, the BBC reports. According to the
, 100 officers were involved in the arrest, which took place at a suburban apartment. CNN reports police found...
Cops Aim Sketch,
$28K at Nabbing
Aug 19, 2015 6:03 AM CDT
Cops Aim Sketch, $28K at Nabbing Bangkok Bomber
Thai police aren't convinced he acted alone, though
- Thai law enforcement have released an arrest warrant, police sketch, and a hefty reward in their efforts to catch the bomber behind this week's deadly blast in Bangkok , the AP and ah report. Cops say the sketch released today, which shows a man with bushy dark hair and eyeglasses,...
Thai Police: This Is
the Bangkok Bomber
Aug 18, 2015 6:56 AM CDT
Thai Police: This Is the Bangkok Bomber
No injuries as a 2nd bomb rattled a ferry pier in the city today
- Thai police have released stills of security footage they say shows the man—wearing a yellow T-shirt—who set off the explosion in central Bangkok yesterday, killing 20 and injuring 140. "The yellow shirt guy is not just the suspect. He is the bomber," a police rep tells...
12 Dead, 78 Injured
in Bangkok Bombing
Aug 17, 2015 9:28 AM CDT
12 Dead, 78 Injured in Bangkok Bombing
At least one bomb went off in heart of city, near the Erawan Shrine
- The area around a Thai shrine visited by thousands of Buddhists each day is now the site of "appalling carnage" after at least one bomb went off in the heart of Bangkok today around 7pm local time. The BBC and
report body parts littered the ground near the...
WWII Bomb Kills 8 in Bangkok
Apr 3, 2014 1:30 AM CDT
WWII Bomb Kills 8 in Bangkok
Scrap shop workers tried to cut it open
- Workers at a scrap shop in Thailand's capital accidentally detonated a large bomb believed to have been dropped during World War II, killing at least eight people and injuring 20 others, police say. Bangkok's bomb squad chief says construction workers found the bomb buried at a building site...
Turn Ugly, 4 Killed
Feb 18, 2014 8:45 AM CST
Thai Protests Turn Ugly, 4 Killed
Protesters allegedly opened fire; 1 cop among the dead
- Four people were killed and 64 injured in Bangkok today when police tried to break up an anti-government protest around the prime minister's office, one of several buildings protesters have tried to shut down in their campaign of obstruction . Gunfire broke out as thousands of police clad in riot...
Feb 1, 2014 2:55 PM CST
The World's Most-Visited City Is...
Hong Kong, followed by Singapore
- When it comes to the world's most-visited cities, Asia has a clear lead: Of the top five, four are on the continent, according to a list published by the
and based on a Euromonitor International report. The number one most-visited city? Hong Kong, which saw 23,770,200...
Cops Suspect Suicide
in Tata Exec's Fatal Fall
Jan 27, 2014 10:10 AM CST
Cops Suspect Suicide in Tata Exec's Fatal Fall
Examining note left behind in Bangkok hotel room
- Thai police said today they suspect a top British executive at Indian automotive giant Tata Motors committed suicide in a fall from his room on the 22nd floor at a luxury hotel in Bangkok. Managing Director Karl Slym died yesterday while in Thailand to attend a board meeting of the...
Grenade Hurled Into
Bangkok Protestors' Truck
Jan 17, 2014 3:00 AM CST
Grenade Hurled Into Bangkok Protestors' Truck
Blast sparks fears of widespread bloodshed
- Dozens of people were wounded in Thailand's capital today when a grenade was hurled at anti-government demonstrators marching through Bangkok, an ominous development that raises tensions in the country's political crisis and the specter of more bloodshed to come. Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban was in the procession but...
US Warns Citizens as
Protests Shut Down Bangkok
Jan 13, 2014 12:04 AM CST
US Warns Citizens as Protests Shut Down Bangkok
Protesters vow to topple elected government
- Protesters aiming to topple Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and put democracy in Thailand on hold have shut down Bangkok by building barricades and blocking key road junctions. Some 18,000 security personnel have been deployed to maintain order and there have been no serious incidents so far, but there are...
Thai PM Dissolves
Dec 9, 2013 12:19 AM CST
Thai PM Dissolves Government Amid 'Final Showdown'
New elections not enough, protesters say
- Thailand's prime minister has announced she will dissolve the lower house of Parliament and call early elections in an attempt to calm the country's deepening political crisis. The surprise move came as 100,000 protesters vowing to overthrow her government marched through the streets of Bangkok for a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.