Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Case Has a
Mar 21, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Sex Misconduct Case Has a Terrifying Twist
An Arizona professor had to battle anonymous accusations of sexual misconduct
- Think academia can get nasty? Hope you're sitting down. Sarah Viren, who teaches at Arizona State University, tells a horrifying story in the
New York Times Magazine
. The professor was close to getting a dream job in Michigan when sexual harassment claims appeared on Reddit against her and her...
School Board Members
Received an Extra $115M
Mar 14, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
School Board Members Received an Extra $115M
The University of Maryland medical system admits there's a problem
- Nearly $115 million went to board members of the University of Maryland Medical System or businesses associated with them, a state audit has found. The payments went to 27 board members or their associated businesses between Jan. 1, 2016 and April 18, 2019, according to a 100-page report that was...
Things Get Ugly in Hong Kong
Nov 18, 2019 6:50 AM CST
Things Get Ugly in Hong Kong
Riot officers break into university held by protesters as fires rage
- Hong Kong police using tear gas and rubber bullets fought off protesters Monday as they tried to break through a police cordon that is trapping hundreds of them on a university campus. Protesters advanced on the police from outside the cordon, while others emerged from the campus, their trademark umbrellas...
Tenn. University Finds
'It's OK to Be White' Signs
Nov 6, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Tenn. University Finds 'It's OK to Be White' Signs
Signs cover memorial for first African-American students at East Tennessee State University
- East Tennessee State University is the latest college campus hit by a white supremacist campaign started by an internet group. "I am disgusted by this act," Brian Noland, university president, says in a statement cited by NBC News . That act: signs proclaiming "It's OK to be...
Students React to Writer's
Talk by Burning Her Book
Oct 12, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Students React to Writer's Talk by Burning Her Book
Jennine Capó Crucet was speaking out against white privilege
- A visiting novelist at Georgia Southern University inspired such debate Wednesday that some students set her book on fire, BuzzFeed reports. Jennine Capó Crucet told a student audience about her novel,
Make Your Home Among Strangers
, which depicts a Cuban American girl trying to fit in with a privileged, mostly...
8 Injured After 2 Blasts
Rock College Dorm
Jul 6, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
8 Injured After 2 Blasts Rock College Dorm
Dormitory partially collapses after pair of explosions at University of Nevada, Reno
- Classes were canceled Friday at the Reno campus of the University of Nevada after a pair of back-to-back blasts injured eight and left a dorm partially collapsed. Fox News reports that authorities are eyeing a mechanical failure inside Argenta Hall as a possible cause of the explosions, with some of...
Ex-Student Fights College
Over Fate of Alleged Rapist
Jun 15, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Ex-Student Fights College Over Fate of Alleged Rapist
Alicia Gonzales says it was terrifying to have her rapist remain on campus
- The warnings came in text messages from her friends: He's outside the dorm. He's at the student center. He's at Starbucks. But for Alicia Gonzales, sometimes it didn't matter where he was, the AP reports. She would often hide away in her room on the campus...
Brigham Young Students
Protest Harsh Punishments
Apr 17, 2019 3:27 AM CDT
Brigham Young Students Protest Harsh Punishments
They want a more compassionate honor code
- "God forgives me, why can't you?" chanted hundreds of students at a rare protest at the Mormon-owned Brigham Young University on Friday. The protesters were calling for changes to the school's famously strict honor code system, which bans beards, piercings, drinking coffee, and premarital sex, among other...
Frat Boys Run for It
After 'Hazing Gone Wrong'
Apr 14, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
Frat Boys Run for It After 'Hazing Gone Wrong'
The University of Buffalo reels from student's apparent collapse
- A University of Buffalo student was in critical condition after an apparent frat hazing gone wrong—a frightening event that could lead to criminal charges, the
reports. Police say Sebastian Serafin-Bazan, 18, suffered a cardiac arrest after fraternity brothers told him to perform exercises from Thursday night to...
ICE Set Up a Fake College.
Then Came the Arrests
Jan 31, 2019 8:57 AM CST
ICE Set Up a Fake College. Then Came the Arrests
The 'University of Farmington' was used to nab recruiters of undocumented immigrants
- A federal indictment unsealed Wednesday names eight suspects accused of "harboring aliens for profit"—and it was a phony university set up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement that nabbed them. NBC News reports on the fake "University of Farmington," which set up shop in 2015 near...
Duke Professor's Email
to Chinese Students
Jan 28, 2019 1:37 AM CST
Duke Professor's Email to Chinese Students Causes Uproar
She told them not to speak own language during breaks
- Duke students are as free as anybody else in America to speak whatever language they want on their own time, the university stressed after a professor's email to international students caused an uproar. Megan Neely told biostatistics students Friday there had been complaints from faculty members about students speaking...
University Official: Don't
Complain, 'Murder' Instead
Dec 31, 2018 5:30 AM CST
University Official: Don't Complain, 'Murder' Instead
Indian official says he was trying to motivate students
- A late entry for the Worst Advice of 2018 award: The vice-chancellor of a state-run university in India is taking flak for telling students they should beat up or kill people instead of bringing their complaints to him. "If you're a student of this university, never come crying...
'Unprecedented' Move Against
School Founded by Soros
Dec 3, 2018 8:33 AM CST
'Unprecedented' Move Against School Founded by Soros
Central European University says it's been forced out of Hungary, the first school in EU to be booted
- Central European University is said to be the best graduate school in Hungary, but it just became the first university to get kicked out of an EU nation. The
calls it "one of the surest signals to date of autocracy's return to the country," and...
Nov 19, 2018 1:41 AM CST
Bloomberg Makes 'Unprecedented' Donation
New York's former mayor gives $1.8B to his alma mater
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Sunday he's donating $1.8 billion to his alma mater, Johns Hopkins University, to boost financial aid for low- and middle-income students, the AP reports. The Baltimore university said the contribution—the largest ever to any education institution in the US—...
10 Best Colleges for the Money
Oct 24, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
10 Best Colleges for the Money
MIT tops the list
- If you're going to fork over close to $50,000 a year to go to college—the top-end average for tuition, room, and board at a four-year school—you want the best ROI on your money. WalletHub looked at close to 1,000 of America's higher-education venues, examining...
School Gets Email Seeking
$9M—and Sends It
Oct 20, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
School Gets Email Seeking $9M—and Sends It
Phishing scheme fools MacEwan University in Canada
- How do you get millions from a Canadian university? Just ask, apparently. A fraudster emailed MacEwan University in 2017 seeking roughly $9 million (USD) and the school sent it right off, the
reports. To be fair, the Edmonton school was busy constructing a $137 million building featuring dance...
School Quotes WWII German
General in 'Inspirational' Email
Jun 22, 2018 3:50 PM CDT
School Quotes WWII German General in 'Inspirational' Email
But the University of Exeter has apologized
- Quoting a German World War Two general may not be the best way to inspire young people, as a British school learned this month. Now Exeter University in South West England has apologized after sending a mass email to staff and students quoting former general Erwin Rommel,
Professor Who Insulted
Barbara Bush Won't Be Fired
Apr 25, 2018 2:40 AM CDT
Professor Who Insulted Barbara Bush Won't Be Fired
Her remarks were free speech, Fresno State says
- The conduct of a tenured professor who called Barbara Bush a "witch" and an "amazing racist" was "insensitive, inappropriate, and an embarrassment to the university," Fresno State president Joseph Castro said in a statement Tuesday. But he added that since Randa Jarrar was acting in a...
University Expels Frat
Over 'Secret' Video
Apr 21, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
University Expels Frat Over 'Secret' Video
Theta Tau video is called 'racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, ableist, and sexist'
- Syracuse University has permanently expelled a fraternity over an offensive video that fraternity members say was intended as satire, the AP reports. The university announced the expulsion of Syracuse's Theta Tau chapter on its website Saturday. Chancellor Kent Syverud calls the Theta Tau video "racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, ableist...
Frat Suspended After
Blackface Photo Surfaces
Apr 12, 2018 5:40 AM CDT
Frat Suspended After Blackface Photo Surfaces
Students dressed as gang members on multicultural weekend
- In what critics say was just the latest example of insensitive behavior at California Polytechnic State University, fraternity members dressed up as stereotypical gang members during the college's multicultural weekend—and one student was photographed in blackface. The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity was quickly placed on interim suspension after...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.