Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
CDC: Don't Take
a Cruise Right Now
Jan 8, 2022 6:30 AM CST
CDC: Don't Take a Cruise Right Now
Royal Caribbean, Norwegian cancel sailings among new COVID surge
- If you've got tickets for an upcoming cruise, better check with your cruise line. This week, two major operators canceled near-future sailings amid the latest COVID surge, starting with Norwegian on Wednesday, reports
. "Our first priority is the health and safety of our guests, crew, and...
Third Florida-Based Cruise
Sees COVID Outbreak
Dec 26, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Third Florida-Based Cruise Sees COVID Outbreak
Carnival Freedom denied entry to Aruba and Bonaire
- For the third time in recent days, a COVID outbreak has been reported on a cruise ship that set sail from Florida, where health officials have reported the highest cases in a single day since the start of the pandemic in 2020. Per CNN , the Carnival Freedom was denied entry...
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship:
'They Were So Overwhelmed'
Dec 20, 2021 11:35 AM CST
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship: 'They Were So Overwhelmed'
4 dozen passengers, crew on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive
- About four dozen passengers and crew on a Dec. 11 sailing on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive for COVID before the ship made it back to Miami on Saturday, the cruise line announced.
reports the number as 44 infected, while NBC Miami puts it...
Royal Caribbean Wants You
to Come Aboard for 274 Nights
Oct 20, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Royal Caribbean Wants You to Come Aboard for 274 Nights
Its world cruise will hit all 7 continents
- They're dubbing it the "Ultimate World Cruise," and it's easy to see why: Royal Caribbean International on Wednesday announced that in late 2023 its Serenade of the Seas ship will set off on a 274-night voyage that will hit more than 150 destinations in 65 countries...
Royal Caribbean Takes '2 Steps
Forward and One Step Back'
Jun 16, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Royal Caribbean Takes '2 Steps Forward and One Step Back'
Line postpones sailings of new Odyssey of the Seas after 8 vaxxed crew members test positive
- Royal Caribbean has been giving a hard push to promotions for its new Odyssey of the Seas ship , which the company vows will "turn wanderlust into reality." That reality will have to wait, however, as now it's "two steps forward and one step back," per...
Feb 12, 2021 8:42 AM CST
Toddler's Family: Royal Caribbean Destroyed CCTV Footage
Family of Chloe Wiegand, who fell to her death from ship, demands 'the harshest of sanctions'
- Earlier this week, Salvatore "Sam" Anello of Indiana was sentenced to three years' probation for the death of his 18-month granddaughter, who fell from his grasp and out an 11th-story window on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas. Chloe Wiegand plummeted 150 feet to her death in the...
Grandfather in Toddler's
Cruise Ship Death Sentenced
Feb 8, 2021 3:01 PM CST
Grandfather in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death Sentenced
Salvatore Anello will not serve jail time
- A grandfather who pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the fall of his young granddaughter from an 11th-story window of a cruise ship docked in Puerto Rico was sentenced Monday to three years' probation, according to justice officials. NBC News reports Salvatore "Sam" Anello, of Valparaiso, Indiana, pleaded not...
Royal Caribbean Moves to
Block Volcano Eruption Suits
Dec 30, 2020 10:04 AM CST
Royal Caribbean Moves to Block Volcano Eruption Suits
On NZ disaster, cruise line says it can only be sued in Australia, not US where it's headquartered
- One of the world's largest cruise companies is taking legal action halfway around the world to prevent it from being sued in the US over the deadly volcanic eruption on New Zealand's White Island. Most of the 47 people on the island when it erupted on Dec. 9,...
So About the COVID Scare
on That Cruise Ship...
Dec 10, 2020 9:04 AM CST
So About the COVID Scare on That Cruise Ship...
Elderly man actually didn't have the virus, officials now say of false alarm off Singapore
- That "cruise to nowhere" off of Singapore could have stayed out in nowhere for a little longer after all. Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas returned to port on Wednesday, a day earlier than the pleasure cruise was expected to, after an elderly man on board reportedly tested...
This Is Not the 2am Wakeup
Call You Want on a Cruise Ship
Dec 9, 2020 7:00 AM CST
This Is Not the 2am Wakeup Call You Want on a Cruise Ship
Passengers on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas are stuck in Singapore port after COVID case
- Passengers on a Royal Caribbean "cruise to nowhere" really can't go anywhere—they're not even allowed to leave their rooms after a fellow shipmate tested positive for COVID-19, the
reports. In a Wednesday statement, Singapore Tourism Board rep Annie Chang says the 83-year-old Singaporean man...
First Caribbean Cruise Since
March Does Not Go Well
Nov 13, 2020 9:43 AM CST
First Caribbean Cruise Since March Does Not Go Well
10% of passengers have tested positive, according to a reporter on the ship
- Precautions were taken. And still some 10% of guests aboard the first cruise to the Caribbean since March have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a reporter on the ship. SeaDream Yacht Club's
set out for a seven-night cruise to St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada...
Grandfather Pleads Guilty
in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Oct 15, 2020 2:08 PM CDT
Grandfather Pleads Guilty in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
'Sam' Anello was charged with recklessly causing fatal fall of Chloe Wiegand
- A criminal case against a grandfather charged in the fatal plunge of his young granddaughter on a cruise ship is over. Salvatore "Sam" Anello of Indiana has pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the death last year of 18-month-old Chloe Wiegand, reports NBC News . The plea means he will...
For One Cruise Line,
Things Are Looking
Aug 11, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
For One Cruise Line, Things Are Looking ...Good?
Or better, at least, for Royal Caribbean
- Eager to hop aboard a cruise ship amid the coronavirus pandemic? You may not be, but apparently quite a few people are. Royal Caribbean reported Monday that there have been a "remarkable" number of bookings for its cruises sailing next year, citing "pent-up demand" from people stuck at...
Grandfather Will Plead Guilty
in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Feb 26, 2020 3:25 AM CST
Grandfather Will Plead Guilty in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Sam Anello won't face jail time, lawyer says
- An Indiana grandfather has decided to take a plea deal instead of trying to clear his name after the fatal fall that killed 18-month-old Chloe Weigand last year. Attorney Michael Winkleman tells NBC that Sam Anello has decided to plead guilty to a charge of negligent homicide brought by authorities...
Leaned Out Window First
Jan 20, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Royal Caribbean: 'Reckless' Grandpa Leaned Out Window First
Cruise line blames Sam Anello in Chloe Wiegand's death
- A horrible twist to the already unimaginable story of the 18-month-old who fell to her death from the 11th story of a Royal Caribbean ship: The cruise line says the tot's grandfather first leaned out the open window before leaning down to pick her up. Salvatore "Sam" Anello,...
Dec 18, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Plea Deal a Possibility in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Sam Anello was charged with negligent homicide in the death of Chloe Wiegand
- A plea deal is on the table for the grieving grandfather charged with negligent homicide in the July death of his 18-month-old granddaughter , Chloe Wiegand. The news comes as surveillance video of the toddler's 11-story fall from the open window of a Royal Caribbean cruise ship was leaked to...
Family Sues Cruise Line
Over Toddler's Fatal Fall
Dec 11, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Family Sues Cruise Line Over Toddler's Fatal Fall
Chloe Wiegand fell from what her grandfather says he didn't realize was an open window
- The family of the toddler who died in a fall from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship has spoken out against the company many times, and now they're suing. Chloe Wiegand's family, in a lawsuit they announced Wednesday in Indiana two days before what would have been Chloe's...
From Cruise Ship
Nov 26, 2019 8:39 AM CST
Grandpa Who Dropped Toddler From Cruise Ship Breaks Silence
Salvatore Anello says he thought there was glass in front of granddaughter
- For the first time, an Indiana man accused of negligent homicide after his 18-month-old granddaughter fell to her death from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship is speaking publicly. In an interview with CBS News , Salvatore Anello recalls to David Begnaud what happened on that July day in Puerto Rico, when,...
Lawyer: Cruise Ship
Video of Toddler's Fall
Nov 21, 2019 12:34 PM CST
Lawyer: Cruise Ship Video of Toddler's Fall Exonerates Grandpa
Surveillance video is being used as evidence in Indiana man's Puerto Rico trial
- The lawyer for Salvatore Anello says his client thought he was holding his 18-month-old granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, up to a closed window on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship before she fell to her death in July—and surveillance video of the tragic incident will prove that to be the case....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Hurricane Ian's Approach 'Near Worst-Case' for Tampa
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.