Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 20, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Good News for Budweiser's Clydesdales
Anheuser-Busch will no longer dock their tails, after animal-rights groups protest
- It's been a busy year if you're in Budweiser's PR department, and it's about to be a happier year if you happen to be in their storied Clydesdale department (we're assuming you're not, because Clydesdales aren't so great with navigating the internet). As...
After 'Series of Unfortunate
Circumstances,' a Reopening
Jul 29, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
After 'Series of Unfortunate Circumstances,' a Reopening
Racing to resume at Kentucky's Churchill Downs in September, after 12 horse deaths
- Racing will resume at Churchill Downs in September, with no changes being made after a review of surfaces and safety protocols in the wake of 12 horse deaths, including seven in the days leading up to the Kentucky Derby in May. The Louisville track suspended racing operations on June 7...
of the Year'
Shot a Horse
Jul 11, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Cops: 'Horseman of the Year' Shot a Horse
North Carolina man is charged after fatal shooting
- Last month, 75-year-old John Russell of North Carolina was honored as "horseman of the year" for his dedication to the animals. This month, Russell faces felony charges after police say he fatally shot a horse, reports WYFF . It appears that Russell wasn't aiming at the horse, but that...
Racing Suspended at Churchill
Downs After 12 Horse Deaths
Jun 3, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Racing Suspended at Churchill Downs After 12 Horse Deaths
Venue is moving its current thoroughbred meet to Ellis Park in wake of 'unusual' number of deaths
- Churchill Downs is suspending racing operations and moving the rest of its spring meet after a series of mysterious horse deaths. CBS News reports that 12 horses have died at the Louisville, Kentucky, racetrack since April 27, spurring the suspension that will run from Wednesday through July 3. Although racing...
For Triple Crown Fans,
It's Good News
May 12, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
For Triple Crown Fans, It's Good News
Derby winner Mage will race in the Preakness
- Kentucky Derby winner Mage will run in the 148th Preakness following an encouraging workout at Churchill Downs, its co-owner said. Mage galloped about 1 1/2 miles at a brisk pace with exercise rider JJ Delgado aboard on a cloudy but mild Friday morning at the track. Co-owner and bloodstock agent...
After Horse Deaths,
and Horses Scratched
May 5, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
After Horse Deaths, Trainer Suspended and Horses Scratched
Churchill Downs says it's looking into 'highly unusual' deaths, 2 of them unexplained
- A horse trainer has been suspended indefinitely following the deaths of four horses ahead of the Kentucky Derby. Two of the horses that died after racing on the track at Churchill Downs were trained by Saffie Joseph Jr., who's now been suspended, WLKY reports. Their causes of death have...
Narrative of Early Horses
in America Just Changed
Apr 1, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Narrative of Early Horses in America Just Changed
Study suggests they were here with Native Americans much earlier than thought
- Horses evolved then went extinct in the Americas 4 million years ago, but not before they crossed the Bering Land Bridge to Eurasia, were they were domesticated. Then in 1519 the Spanish brought them to Mexico—and from there, a new study suggests horses arrived in North America earlier than...
Teen, 2 Stolen Horses
Killed in Dallas Crash
Mar 14, 2023 6:12 PM CDT
Teen, 2 Stolen Horses Killed in Dallas Crash
2 other teens were hospitalized after early-morning accident, police say
- The theft of three horses ended in tragedy on a Dallas road, police say. NBC-DFW reports that a 14-year-old died at the scene and two other teens, ages 16 and 17, were hospitalized in stable condition after a vehicle crashed into a group on horseback early Tuesday. Police said the...
Community Rallies to Save
Horses Who Fell in Icy Pond
Dec 17, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Community Rallies to Save Horses Who Fell in Icy Pond
4 horses pulled out of frigid waters after 3-hour rescue effort in Montana
- Four horse siblings are doing A-OK after a terrifying ordeal earlier this month on a partially frozen Montana pond. The
reports that the incident took place Dec. 5 on the 80-acre Artemis Acres ranch in Kalispell, on a day with temperatures hovering in the teens. Ranch manager Alexis...
Cops: DUI Suspect Wouldn't
Pull His Horse Over
Oct 17, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
Cops: DUI Suspect Wouldn't Pull His Horse Over
Police in Whittier say he was 'galloping through traffic' before arrest
- An allegedly drunken horseman was taken into custody Saturday, say police in Whittier, California. In an Instagram post , police said there was an unusual—and brief—pursuit after they encountered an "intoxicated person on a horse, galloping through traffic," who refused to pull over, the
Los Angeles Times
for 8 Years
Is Back Home
Oct 10, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Horse That Ran Wild for 8 Years Is Back Home
'It's crazy,' says owner of Mongo in Utah
- It's not too unusual to hear stories about lost dogs being reunited with their families after long stretches. Cats, too . But stallions? Such is the case in northwestern Utah, where Mongo the horse is back home after eight years of roaming the desert with his wild cousins, reports KUTV...
May 27, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
'I'm not going to die today' a determined 16-year-old Dalton Bruton thought
- For 16-year-old Dalton Bruton, being around horses has always been a "calming experience." Not so much last week, when the Oklahoma teen got kicked so hard by one that he ended up having a heart attack. KFOR reports on the May 19 incident on the horse farm owned...
Horse Bolts From Track,
Hits Highway Instead
Aug 23, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Horse Bolts From Track, Hits Highway Instead
Bold and Bossy is recuperating after her Kentucky escape
- A 2-year-old filly got loose before a race at a Kentucky track and ran onto a highway alongside cars before being corralled over the weekend, per the AP . The filly named Bold and Bossy got loose on her way to the starting gate at Ellis Park on Saturday, and jockey...
On the Western Plains, a
Debate on America's Mustangs
Aug 18, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
On the Western Plains, a Debate on America's Mustangs
Roundups of free-ranging horses said to be due to drought, but activists are protesting the move
- The sound of the helicopter propeller thundered across the horizon as it dipped down toward mustangs dotting the golden brown plain. The horses burst into a gallop at the machine's approach, their high-pitched whinnies rising into the dry air. That helicopter roundup in the mountains of western Utah removed...
Man Arrested After
Deputies Find Horse in House
Aug 15, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Man Arrested After Deputies Find Horse in House
The South Carolina man was also wanted for throwing mandolin into pasture
- When the deputies saw horse feces on the living room floor, they pieced together the mystery pretty quickly. They showed up at a house in Oconee, SC, summoned by a woman who saw her nephew ride by and remembered that her nephew definitely didn’t own a horse. They tried...
Newest Olympic Medalist
Has a Famous Dad
Aug 7, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Newest Olympic Medalist Has a Famous Dad
Jessica Springsteen, daughter of Bruce, and US equestrian team take home the silver
- The Springsteen family has gone platinum many times over. Time to make space for a little silver, too. Jessica Springsteen and the US equestrian jumping team came up just short of Olympic gold, falling to Sweden in a jump-off Saturday night that still left the Americans with a record 10th...
Aug 30, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Horses Are Mutilated by the Dozen —But Why?
France pursues attackers who might be responding to social-media 'challenges'
- Armed with knives, some knowledge of their prey, and a large dose of cruelty, attackers are going after horses and ponies in pastures across France in what may be ritual mutilations, the AP reports. Police are stymied by the macabre attacks that include slashings and worse. Most often, an ear—...
Horse Race Takes Bizarre
Turn in the Home Stretch
Jul 11, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
River Crossroad Rvf held a commanding lead entering the home stretch
- A race horse with a seven-length lead in the home stretch gave West Virginia fans quite the surprise Thursday night, NBC News reports. River Crossroad Rvf, a 3-year-old in only his second race, bolted off the track at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. The colt left via a cutout...
Rider and Horse Die in
Devastating Equestrian Fall
Mar 2, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Rider and Horse Die in Devastating Equestrian Fall
Rotational fall claims the lives of Katharine Morel and Kerry On
- A Florida equestrian competition turned doubly devastating Saturday after a rider and her horse both died in a terrible fall. Katharine Morel of Canada was riding Kerry On on a cross-country course at Altoona's Rocking Horse Winter III Horse Trials, a United States Eventing Association-recognized competition, when the horse...
Aren't Home Grown
Feb 17, 2020 6:34 AM CST
North Korea's Purebred Horses Aren't Home Grown
Customs data shows the country imported a dozen last year
- An odd footnote to the story of Kim Jong Un's 2019 rides up a snowy sacred mountain on a white horse: It turns out North Korea imported 12 purebred horses from Russia in October, the same month as Kim's first ride. Reuters reports that customs data shows the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.