Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Heart's Record Trip May Be
Game-Changer for Transplants
May 24, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
This Heart's Record Trip May Be Game-Changer for Transplants
Organ was transported 2.5K miles for transplant from Alaska to Boston, thanks to a special cooler
- When it comes to heart transplants, doctors don't want to see more than four to six hours pass from the time the organ is taken out of one body and moved into another. But one heart recently spent more than seven hours in transit, and traveled more than 2,...
Switzerland Makes a Move
to Shrink Organ Transplant List
May 18, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
Switzerland Makes a Move to Shrink Organ Transplant List
Organ donation will become opt-out instead of opt-in
- Switzerland has just taken a big step in its quest to shrink its organ transplant waiting list backlogs. Under its new model, all residents will be considered potential donors after death unless they have opted out, a reverse from the current set-up, in which people opt-in while still alive. The...
Chat in Workplace Bathroom
May Have Saved 2 Men's Lives
Jun 29, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
Chat in Workplace Bathroom May Have Saved 2 Men's Lives
Co-workers Susan Ellis and Tia Wimbush each gave up one of their own kidneys
- A chance conversation in a workplace restroom led to a happy ending for two men in desperate need of new kidneys. That meeting took place in August 2020 in a bathroom at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. Co-workers Susan Ellis and Tia Wimbush had learned in 2019 that their husbands...
2 Days After Wedding, Bride
Gives Kidney to Husband's Ex
Jun 1, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
2 Days After Wedding, Bride Gives Kidney to Husband's Ex
Debby Neal-Strickland and Mylaen Merthe are now 'kidney sisters'
- Ten years after their first date, Debby Neal-Strickland put on a cream-colored lace gown and married her longtime sweetheart at their Florida church. Two days later, she put on a hospital gown and donated a kidney to Mylaen Merthe—her new husband’s ex-wife, per the AP . Mylaen, 59, had...
A 'New Category' of
May 2, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
A 'New Category' of Transplant Patients Is Emerging
COVID is leaving formerly healthy people with destroyed lungs
- Another gloomy sidebar to the COVID story: the fact that the illness is giving rise to what one doctor calls "a completely new category of transplant patients." NBC News charts the evolution of thought about giving new lungs or hearts to patients who have seen those organs essentially...
Rule Change Gives New Hope
to People Waiting for an Organ
Nov 23, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Rule Change Gives New Hope to People Waiting for an Organ
Feds says 'broken' system is being improved
- The Trump administration's legacy will include a more efficient organ donation system that could save thousands of lives, under a new rule issued by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicaid services . The rule changes the way organ procurement organizations—federally funded nonprofit groups that collect organs from donors and...
Husband and Wife Save a Life,
15 Years Apart
Jun 23, 2020 11:35 AM CDT
Husband and Wife Save a Life, 15 Years Apart
Both donated organs to Florida's Jeffrey Granger
- It's an organ donor story with an unusual twist: A husband and wife ended up being donors to the same man 15 years apart, reports CBS News . The story begins in 2004, when 35-year-old Bryan Herrington died after a fall from a roof on his construction job, per CNN...
Son Saved 2 Lives
Jul 15, 2019 11:09 AM CDT
Granger Smith's Son Saved 2 Lives
River, who died after drowning at age 3, was an organ donor
- In an emotional Instagram post , country star Granger Smith's wife, Amber, reveals that after the couple's 3-year-old son River died by drowning , he saved the lives of two adults via organ donation. "When 3 different neuro specialists told us that River had 0% chance of brain recovery...
Kidney Move Is
Jul 10, 2019 3:46 PM CDT
Trump's Kidney Move Is Earning Praise
It could save thousands, one writer argues
- President Trump made headlines Wednesday, but not for the usual reasons: The executive order he signed this time around has to do with kidneys. Specifically, it aims to improve care for patients with kidney disease by making home treatment more available and encouraging more kidney donations, Politico reports. It also...
Tribute for Nurse
Who Gave Her All
Jun 12, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
'Extremely Emotional' Tribute for Nurse Who Gave Her All
More than 100 co-workers lined hospital hall to honor late Mary Desin before organ transplant
- If you happened to be at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Hamot hospital on Friday, you may have stumbled across what a nurse's son described as an "extremely emotional" scene in one of the hallways. That nurse, per ABC News , was Mary Desin, an employee of...
They Wore Green T-Shirts
to a Cardinals Game, Fatefully
May 7, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
They Wore Green T-Shirts to a Cardinals Game, Fatefully
It leads to a wild meeting
- A heart recipient ran into his donor's family completely by chance at an MLB game—and it was all due to a bunch of T-shirts. CBS News reports that Savannah Chavez Roesch and family members went to the St. Louis Cardinals' "Transplant Awareness Day" on April 28, all...
A Big North American First
for Organ Donation
Apr 2, 2019 7:13 PM CDT
A Big North American First for Organ Donation
Nova Scotia is instituting 'presumed consent'
- It's a first in North America: Nova Scotia will switch to a system that presumes consent for organ and tissue donation. That means you can opt out if you don't want to donate your organs, but if you take no action, you are assumed to be a donor....
It's a First: Someone Living
With HIV Donates Organ
Mar 28, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
It's a First: Someone Living With HIV Donates Organ
Atlanta's Nina Martinez is a kidney donor to HIV-positive recipient
- She donated a kidney to a stranger, but that's not the reason Nina Martinez's decision is making international headlines. The 36-year-old Atlanta resident is HIV-positive, and the surgery at Johns Hopkins is the first time anywhere that someone living with the virus has donated an organ, reports FOX...
His Ex Wasn't 'the One.'
But She Was 'the Donor'
Jan 3, 2019 8:45 AM CST
His Ex Wasn't 'the One.' But She Was 'the Donor'
Minn. grandma Mary Ziegler donates organ to her former husband
- Not all divorces have to end in acrimony. Just ask Mary Ziegler and Bill Henrichs, who when they ended their marriage two decades ago made a pledge to treat each other right for their kids' sake. "You know all those bad divorce things, we agreed not to do that,...
World First for
Dec 5, 2018 7:51 AM CST
'Extremely Exciting' World First for Woman Sans Womb
Patient gave birth to healthy baby girl after uterus transplant from deceased donor
- A 45-year-old woman who'd been pregnant and had three successful deliveries died from a stroke—but her uterus just produced its fourth child. In what Gizmodo calls a "medical first," doctors in Sao Paulo, Brazil, implanted that woman's reproductive organ after her death in a 32-year-old...
Guy Offers Truck, Kidney
in Return for Help for Sick Wife
May 10, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Guy Offers Truck, Kidney in Return for Help for Sick Wife
He says she desperately needs a new liver
- A California man desperate to save his wife's life made an unusual offer: his truck, his trailer, and one of his kidneys in return for a slice of healthy liver from somebody with O-positive or O-negative blood. In a Facebook post that went viral, Verlon Robinson, 55, said he...
After Parents Sign Organ Donor
Papers, 13-Year-Old Recovers
May 7, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
After Parents Sign Organ Donor Papers, 13-Year-Old Recovers
Alabama's Trenton McKinley suffered brain trauma in freak accident
- Things were looking so dire for 13-year-old Trenton McKinley of Mobile, Ala., that his parents signed the papers to donate his organs to five other kids. But a day before doctors were to take him off life support, Trenton began showing signs of recovery from a traumatic brain injury, reports...
Russia: Asking for OK Before
Taking Organs Is 'Inhumane'
Mar 24, 2018 4:31 PM CDT
Russia: Asking for OK Before Taking Organs Is 'Inhumane'
European Court of Human Rights hearing 2 cases on Russia's organ donation law
- At least two lawsuits filed at a top European court claim Russia violated Europe's Human Rights Convention by removing organs from the recently dead without telling relatives. Russia's response: Asking relatives' permission would be "inhumane." Documents provided to the AP detail how Russia is fighting charges...
Man Who Got Face Transplant
Details Life After Risky Surgery
Oct 23, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Man Who Got Face Transplant Details Life After Risky Surgery
Pat Hardison says he 'bet it all' and won; now he vacations with his kids, lives life to fullest
- There was only a 50% chance the face transplant that could transform his life would work—and it was a gamble Mississippi's Pat Hardison won. Per
, the ex-Senatobia firefighter received the "world's most extensive face transplant" in August 2015, after he'd been severely burned...
Girl Save 8 Lives
Sep 8, 2017 11:52 AM CDT
Organs From 13-Year-Old Girl Save 8 Lives
Jemima Layzell, who died of a brain aneurysm, breaks a UK record
- Eight people, including five children, have a 13-year-old organ donor to thank for their lives—and that donor has entered the UK record books. The
reports on Jemima Layzell, who collapsed from a brain aneurysm while helping prep for her mom's birthday party in March 2012. Jemima died...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.