Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Raphael Warnock Wins
Georgia Runoff Election
Dec 6, 2022 10:31 PM CST
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Democratic senator beats Herschel Walker
- Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock defeated Republican challenger Herschel Walker in a Georgia runoff election Tuesday, ensuring Democrats an outright majority in the Senate for the rest of President Biden’s term and helping cap an underwhelming midterm cycle for the GOP in the last major vote of the year, the...
Here's How Things
Look Ahead of
Dec 6, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
Democrats are cautiously optimistic
- 'Twas the night before Georgia's runoff election, and all through the state, things were looking fairly decent for Raphael Warnock. The Democratic senator, who is on the ballot for the fifth time in about two years—this time, competing against Herschel Walker for a full six-year term in...
Arizona County's Pushback
on Certifying Election Ends
Dec 2, 2022 11:46 AM CST
Arizona County's Pushback on Certifying Election Ends
GOP-controlled Cochise County ordered by judge to do so
- Cochise County has certified its 2022 elections. The move came after Judge Casey McGinley ruled Thursday that the rural Arizona county's Board of Supervisors had an hour and a half to call a meeting and approve the results by the end of the day, despite pushback from two GOP...
Trump Steering Clear
of Georgia Runoff
Nov 29, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Trump Steering Clear of Georgia Runoff
Former president doesn't plan a rally for Herschel Walker, which could backfire
- As the Senate runoff in Georgia heads into crunch time, one big name won't be playing a public role. Politico and the
New York Times
report that Donald Trump has no plans to stage one of his signature rallies for Herschel Walker. Trump is still a strong supporter of...
Judge Makes Big Ruling
on Early Voting in Georgia
Nov 19, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Judge Makes Big Ruling on Early Voting in Georgia
Voters can now head to polls on Saturday, Nov. 26, for Senate runoff race between Warnock, Walker
- The Georgia Senate race between Democrat Raphael Warnock and Republican Herschel Walker is headed for a Dec. 6 runoff , and thanks to a Fulton County judge's decision this week, locals can add one more day to the calendar in which they'll be able to cast their in-person ballot....
Boebert's Rival Concedes
in Tight Colorado Race
Nov 18, 2022 12:56 PM CST
Boebert's Rival Concedes in Tight Colorado Race
It still appears headed to automatic recount, but both he and the congresswoman say it's over
- The Democratic challenger who ended up in a surprisingly tight race with Rep. Lauren Boebert in Colorado has conceded, reports the Hill . Adam Frisch said Friday that while the race appears headed for an automatic recount, "the likelihood of this recount changing more than a handful of votes is...
Kari Lake Says She's
Fighting Election Results
Nov 17, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Says She's Fighting Election Results
Trump ally claims Arizona voters were disenfranchised via issues with tabulation machines
- Kari Lake, the Arizona gubernatorial candidate who refused to commit to accepting a losing election result, is now challenging her loss to Democrat Katie Hobbs . "I am still in this fight," the Trump-backed Republican says in a video posted to Twitter on Thursday, adding she's assembled the...
DeSantis Speaks Out on
Leaves Trump's Name Out
Nov 16, 2022 12:22 AM CST
DeSantis Speaks Out on 'Underwhelming' Midterms, Leaves Trump's Name Out
Florida governor was no doubt referring to him, however
- He didn't actually mention Donald Trump by name, but Ron DeSantis offered what the
New York Times
calls a "not-so-subtle dig" at the former POTUS shortly before Trump's announcement that he will run for president again in 2024. Referring to the midterm elections, the Florida governor told...
2020 Deniers Wanting to
Run Elections Hit a Snag
Nov 13, 2022 5:15 PM CST
2020 Deniers Wanting to Run Elections Hit a Snag
Nevada Republican who led slate of candidates in other states loses his own race
- Jim Marchant told supporters that if he were elected secretary of state for Nevada, Donald Trump would be president again. To make sure the 2024 vote elsewhere goes the same way, Marchant put together a slate of candidates for the top election office in battleground states, the
New York Times
Battle for House
Plays Out in
Nov 12, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Battle for House Plays Out in 'Nation's Salad Bowl'
Key races in Calif.'s Central Valley, Orange County remain tight, including for Dem Rep. Katie Porter
- The outcomes in a string of closely matched California US House races that could play into control of the chamber were still unsettled Friday, as millions of ballots remained uncounted in the nation's most populous state. More than a dozen races in the state continued to be in play,...
Path to House
Hits a Snag
Nov 11, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Kevin McCarthy's Path to House Speakership Hits a Snag
Assuming GOP takes control, a narrow majority may threaten his chances to replace Pelosi
- This week was supposed to a be a no-brainer for Kevin McCarthy. But his expected easy path to become the next House speaker has been complicated in a big way by Republicans' performance in the midterms, reports NBC News . Most still expect Republicans to retake control of the House when...
in Arizona, Nevada
Nov 10, 2022 11:33 PM CST
Key Senate, Gubernatorial Races in Arizona, Nevada Remain Uncalled
Democrats have narrow leads in Arizona, Republicans in Nevada
- Democrats padded their narrow leads in key Arizona contests on Thursday, but the races for US Senate and governor were still too early to call with about a fifth of the total ballots left to be counted, the AP reports. Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly led Republican Blake Masters by 5....
Dead Democrat Wins Race
Nov 10, 2022 12:06 AM CST
Dead Democrat Wins Race in Pennsylvania
Anthony 'Tony' DeLuca, state's longest-serving state representative, died last month
- Anthony “Tony” DeLuca died last month, in the middle of his re-election race—which he won anyway, by a huge margin. DeLuca, 85 and the longest-serving state representative in Pennsylvania, died of lymphoma less than two weeks after the deadline to change the ballot, the
reports. He was...
Lauren Boebert Currently Trails
Challenger by 64 Votes
Nov 9, 2022 9:39 PM CST
Lauren Boebert Currently Trails Challenger by 64 Votes
And more of the latest on House races
- As of 10:30pm ET Wednesday, the AP had called 391 of the 435 House races, with the Democrats winning 184 of those contests and the Republicans winning 207 so far. Among the latest developments: In New Mexico, incumbent Republican Rep. Yvette Herrell conceded defeat in her race against Democratic...
It's No Longer
a Close Call
Nov 9, 2022 2:41 PM CST
It's No Longer a Close Call in Florida
Analysts look behind the embrace of Republicans and ahead to a lengthy GOP reign
- Both parties have gotten used to Florida being just as likely to go with either party, in any election—a state whose presidential race winner and loser have been separated by 0.009% of the vote and whose 2000 race was so close it took more than a month to...
How the 36 Governor
Races Are Shaking Out
Nov 9, 2022 12:54 PM CST
How the 36 Governor Races Are Shaking Out
Keeping tabs on a slew of governor's mansions
- As far as the scales go, the GOP had 28 governors to the Democrats' 22 going into Tuesday. And Politico spies "an opening for Republicans to retake a significant number of governorships." Thirty-six states are electing governors, reports the AP , with many of those races poised to come...
In 5 States, Slavery
Was on the Ballot
Nov 9, 2022 10:15 AM CST
In 5 States, Slavery Was on the Ballot
And amendments to ban it and forced labor in prisons didn't pass everywhere
- Voters in three states approved ballot measures that will change their state constitutions to prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude as punishment for crime, while those in a fourth state rejected the move. The measures approved Tuesday curtail the use of prison labor in Alabama, Tennessee, and Vermont. In Oregon, "...
10 Big Firsts That
Emerged From the Midterms
Nov 9, 2022 9:35 AM CST
10 Big Firsts That Emerged From the Midterms
Kathy Hochul is first elected female governor of NY, plus more 'history-makers'
- Congress got its first Gen Z member ever on election night, thanks to a win by 25-year-old Maxwell Frost in Florida's 10th Congressional District. But Frost wasn't the only notable victory. CNN runs down other "history-makers" of the 2022 midterms. Here, 10 standouts:
Nov 9, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Kentucky Voters Reject Abortion Amendment
As 3 other states outright preserve the right to abortion
- The abortion debate figured in Tuesday's midterms in a general sense—Democrats hoped that voters angry about the overturning of Roe v. Wade would turn out in droves to support their candidates. But abortion also was on the ballot in a literal sense in five states. The outcomes, per...
John Fetterman Wins
Pennsylvania Senate Race
Nov 9, 2022 1:04 AM CST
John Fetterman Wins Pennsylvania Senate Race
Media outlets are calling the race for Fetterman over Dr. Mehmet Oz
- Nobody expected one of election night's biggest races—Democrat John Fetterman vs. Republican Mehmet Oz for the Senate in Pennsylvania—to be called early, given how close the polls had been. The stakes are huge, of course, with control of the Senate potentially in the balance. About the only...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Sunny Balwani's Sentence Is Longer Than Elizabeth Holmes'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.