Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
John Glenn's Widow
Dies of COVID at 100
May 19, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
John Glenn's Widow Dies of COVID at 100
Annie Glenn was 'a hero in her own right'
- Annie Glenn, the widow of astronaut and Sen. John Glenn and a communication disorders advocate, died Tuesday at age 100, per the AP . Glenn died of COVID-19 complications at a nursing home near St. Paul, Minn., said a rep for the Glenn College of Public Affairs at Ohio State. At...
Nov 5, 2018 1:07 AM CST
Neil Armstrong's Spacecraft ID Fetches $465K
Memorabilia auction made $7.4M
- Memorabilia that belonged to the first man to set foot on the moon has fetched more than $7.4 million at auction. Dallas-based Heritage Auctions says the item that sold for the highest price, $468,500, was Neil Armstrong's spacecraft ID plate from Apollo 11's lunar module Eagle....
Young John Glenn's
Mar 19, 2018 9:29 AM CDT
Young John Glenn's Pillowcase Foretold His Future
Whimsical bedding that sold for $2.5K at estate sale was embroidered with celestial bodies
- When future astronaut John Glenn nestled in his bed, it may not have been sugar plums that danced in his head, but celestial bodies. A recently discovered child's pillowcase that belonged to the late US senator and space hero depicts revolving planets, stars, and a view to outer space....
Pentagon Memo Alleges Body
of John Glenn Was Mistreated
May 26, 2017 8:29 AM CDT
Pentagon Memo Alleges Body of John Glenn Was Mistreated
Dover Air Force Base branch chief allegedly offered peeks of body
- Between John Glenn's Dec. 8 death and his April 6 burial at Arlington National Cemetery, his body was housed at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to "ensure an increased level of privacy and security for a renowned public servant," says a Pentagon rep. That's not...
Biden, Other Mourners
Choke Up During Glenn Tribute
Dec 17, 2016 5:15 PM CST
Biden, Other Mourners Choke Up During Glenn Tribute
Biden says Glenn 'defined what it meant to be an American'
- The nation's vice president and a retired Marine Corps general were among the dignitaries, family members, and other mourners who choked up Saturday during a memorial tribute to the late space hero John Glenn. The AP reports roughly 2,500 people gathered on the Ohio State University campus for...
John Glenn Was
a Hero to US,
but His Hero
Was His Wife
Dec 9, 2016 11:46 AM CST
John Glenn Was a Hero to US, but His Hero Was His Wife
Annie Glenn suffered for years with stuttering disability until she overcame it
- American lost a space pioneer this week with the death of ex-astronaut and Sen. John Glenn at age 95, but Annie Glenn, John's wife, lost a husband of 73 years. The
tells the story of what many saw as an "odd coupling": While John was gregarious...
First US Astronaut
to Orbit Earth
Dead at 95
Dec 8, 2016 3:32 PM CST
First US Astronaut to Orbit Earth Dead at 95
John Glenn had a remarkable life
- John Glenn, whose 1962 flight as the first US astronaut to orbit the Earth made him an all-American hero and propelled him to a long career in the US Senate, died Thursday, the AP reports. The last survivor of the original Mercury 7 astronauts was 95. Glenn died at the...
Bob Dylan Gets
Medal of Freedom
May 29, 2012 4:17 PM CDT
Bob Dylan Gets Medal of Freedom
Madeleine Albright, John Glenn also among honorees
- President Obama bestowed the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Bob Dylan, Madeleine Albright, and a host of other luminaries today at the White House. The
Los Angeles Times
notes that 1962 seemed to be a pivotal year for this year's honorees: It's when Dylan's first album came...
Bob Dylan to Get
Apr 26, 2012 4:41 PM CDT
Bob Dylan to Get Presidential Medal of Freedom
Pat Summitt, Toni Morrison also among this year's honorees
- Bob Dylan will get the nation's highest civilian honor later this spring, reports Bloomberg . Dylan, 70, will be one of 13 recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He's already got scores of Grammys, an Oscar, and a Pulitzer, and the
Wall Street Journal
's Speakeasy blog can'...
'Giant Leap' Was a
'Knee in NASA's Groin'
Jul 19, 2009 11:00 AM CDT
'Giant Leap' Was a 'Knee in NASA's Groin'
Ever since 1969, hope for a 'bridge to the stars' has faded
- The US took a “giant leap” landing on the moon in 1969, but NASA's greatest moment of triumph was also "a real knee in the groin" for the space agency, writes Tom Wolfe in the
New York Times.
At the time, we thought we’d build “a...
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.