Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Tim Hortons Knew When
Customers Visited a Rival
Jun 6, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Tim Hortons Knew When Customers Visited a Rival
Government slams coffee chain for tracking people through its app constantly
- The Tim Hortons coffee chain is big in Canada, and the government there has just rebuked the company over a way-too-nosy app. Essentially, the app tracked customers 24/7—even if they thought they had opted out of such tracking—and even determined when they were visiting rival chains, reports the...
Is Tim Hortons'
Feb 15, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Justin Bieber Is Tim Hortons' Savior. Seriously
Partnership with the Biebs helped drive 10.3% rise in sales for Q4
- One Canadian has apparently managed to save another. CNN reports coffee chain Tim Hortons enlisted Justin Bieber's help in November as a way to try to give a bump to revenues hurt by changing breakfast-while-commuting habits during the pandemic. It teamed up with the singer to offer what it...
One Step Back, Two Steps
Forward for Beyond Meat
Jan 29, 2020 9:03 AM CST
One Step Back, Two Steps Forward for Beyond Meat
Tim Hortons ends partnership, while KFC and Denny's expand theirs
- Canada's largest coffee chain is giving up Beyond Meat products after just seven months. Tim Hortons served up an imitation sausage breakfast sandwich, and later added the Beyond Burger to the menu at many of its nearly 4,000 locations last year. But most had dropped the faux meat...
Boy's Death in Grease Trap
Came as Mom Turned Her Back
Sep 26, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Boy's Death in Grease Trap Came as Mom Turned Her Back
It only took seconds
- He'd been out of sight for a second when it happened. As employee Tenitia Cullum grabbed garbage bags from the rear foyer of a Tim Hortons in Rochester, NY, just before 11am on July 15, her 3-year-old son walked over the 2-foot-wide lid of a grease trap outside the...
Boy Dies After Fall
Into Grease Trap
Jul 15, 2019 2:52 PM CDT
Boy Dies After Fall Into Grease Trap
Trap was unfenced, just outside door
- A devastating story out of Rochester, New York, Monday: A child died after falling into a grease trap outside a restaurant. The 3-year-old boy's mother called police when she was unable to find him, per WHEC . Francis Camp, a police investigator, said the boy fell through a plastic lid...
Bank Robbery Suspects
Jan 30, 2018 7:23 PM CST
Bank Robbery Suspects Caught, Canadian-Style
Meaning, they were nabbed at a Tim Hortons drive-thru
- The US has its Florida crimes and Canada has ... this. Two suspects accused of robbing a bank in New Brunswick were caught at a Tim Hortons drive-thru, reports the CBC . For those unfamiliar, the coffee chain is virtually a national institution in its native country. The incident began when an...
Burger King Owner Buys
Popeyes for More Than $1.6B
Feb 21, 2017 12:32 PM CST
Burger King Owner Buys Popeyes for More Than $1.6B
Restaurant Brands also owns Tim Hortons
- Doughnuts, hamburgers, and as of Tuesday … chicken. That's what's now on the menu for Restaurant Brands International, the owner of Burger King and Tim Hortons that just raided the fast-food henhouse to buy the Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen chain for nearly $1.65 billion, per the
for Tim Hortons
Mar 18, 2016 11:18 AM CDT
Cops: Man Hijacks Bus for Tim Hortons Coffee Run
Toronto man allegedly held knife to driver, made him run red lights
- In what may be the most Canadian of crimes this week, a 31-year-old man allegedly hijacked a Toronto Transit Commission bus and forced the driver at knifepoint to take him to … a Tim Hortons coffee shop, the CBC reports. A local police constable says the man got onto the...
Burger King Goes Canadian With $11B Tim Hortons Buy
Aug 26, 2014 7:18 AM CDT
Burger King Goes Canadian With $11B Tim Hortons Buy
Merger would move company's base, save a bundle in taxes
- Burger King is confirming an $11 billion buy of Canada's iconic Tim Hortons coffee chain that will create Earth's third-biggest fast-food company and settle its headquarters in Canada—where corporate tax rates are conveniently around 26%, compared to a basic rate of 35% in the US. The merger...
Pay-it-Forward Chain Goes
on for 228 Coffee Orders
Jan 3, 2013 11:44 AM CST
Pay-it-Forward Chain Goes on for 228 Coffee Orders
Random act of kindness spurs 3 hours of giving
- When a customer at a Tim Hortons coffee shop in Canada decided to pay for the order of the car behind him in the drive-thru line, he unknowingly sparked three hours of holiday season giving. The Dec. 21 chain reaction involved 228 customers "paying it forward" by paying for...
Dunkin' in Wary NYC
Jul 14, 2009 2:35 PM CDT
Canuck Doughnut Standby Supplants Dunkin' in Wary NYC
- Many New Yorkers met their first Canadian doughnuts today as the Tim Hortons chain took over 12 locations previously occupied by Dunkin’ Donuts,
reports. “My frantic runs to Canada to buy tins of Tim Hortons ground coffee are over,” a delighted expatriate said. “Everything in New...
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.