Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
German Publisher Reaches
Agreement to Buy Politico
Aug 26, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
German Publisher Reaches Agreement to Buy Politico
Protocol is included in the $1B deal
- Germany publishing company Axel Springer said Thursday that it has signed a deal to buy US-based Politico and the tech news site Protocol from founder Robert Allbritton. Axel Springer already owns US properties including the online media company Insider and the business-oriented Morning Brew. Under the deal, the German publisher...
Skeptic Lays Out 3 Reasons
Why Trump 2024 Is Doomed
Dec 10, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Skeptic Lays Out 3 Reasons Why Trump 2024 Is Doomed
Personality-based politicians have always faded, writes John F. Harris at Politico
- President Trump and his supporters are making noises about a run in 2024, but John F. Harris predicts in a column at Politico that it's not going to happen. In fact, he thinks Trump's influence will fade pretty quickly once he's out of office. "Outsized outsiders...
The Public Is
Feb 19, 2020 10:45 AM CST
The Public Is Behind Trump on Blagojevich
Lots of people thought 14 years was excessive, writes Natasha Korecki
- The backlash was swift Tuesday as President Trump commuted Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for political corruption. But Politico reporter Natasha Korecki argues the move "isn't crazy." In a Tuesday op-ed, Korecki—who wrote about Blagojevich's case for the
and in a subsequent...
Tucker Carlson Boycott
Is Dumb and Dangerous
Dec 20, 2018 9:20 AM CST
Tucker Carlson Boycott Is Dumb and Dangerous
Media writer Jack Shafer doesn't want fickle companies having a say in coverage
- Big advertisers keep pulling out of Tucker Carlson's show on Fox News over his comments that immigrants make the nation "poorer" and "dirtier." Media writer Jack Shafer is no fan of Carlson and his "retrograde views on race, minorities, gays, and women," but he'...
Willing' to Shut
Gov't Over Border
Nov 28, 2018 8:35 AM CST
Trump 'Totally Willing' to Shut Gov't Over Border Wall Funding
President and the Dems aren't even close on the $5B figure he's throwing out there
- President Trump said last Thursday he'd be OK with a government shutdown if he doesn't get the funding he wants on the US-Mexico border wall, and several days later, he hasn't changed his mind. With just over a week before Congress' Dec. 7 deadline to finish up...
What Her Love of Trump
Has Cost Her: Her Grandson
Oct 4, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
What Her Love of Trump Has Cost Her: Her Grandson
Ben Bradlee Jr. profiles Trump super-fan Lynette Villano
- When Ben Bradlee Jr. refers to "Mrs. Trump," he's not talking about Melania. Rather, it's a nickname that was bestowed upon Lynette Villano, 72, a die-hard Trump supporter living in Luzerne County, Pa. In a lengthy excerpt of
published by Politico , Bradlee explains that...
Ex-WH Aide: Trump's
Jun 11, 2018 8:02 AM CDT
Ex-WH Aide: Trump's Paper-Ripping Habit 'Craziest Thing Ever'
Aides were tasked with taping shredded documents back together
- President Trump's "odd and enduring habit" of ripping paperwork to shreds when he's done with it has spawned a Politico report that's raising some eyebrows over a strange job apparently given to White House staffers. Solomon Lartey and Reginald Young Jr., two former White House aides...
Democrats Have Little Hope
of Taking Senate Now
May 10, 2018 11:41 AM CDT
Democrats Have Little Hope of Taking Senate Now
Don Blankenship's loss makes that clear, according to Politico analysis
- Tuesday's primary results brought a dose of reality to Democrats: They have little or no chance of taking control of the Senate next year, writes Charlie Mahtesian at Politico . Democrats' hopes were raised briefly by the prospect of once-imprisoned coal executive Don Blankenship winning the GOP nomination in West...
In Pacific NW, an 'Intensifying
Guerilla Warfare' Over Bitcoin
Mar 9, 2018 3:03 PM CST
In Pacific NW, an 'Intensifying Guerilla Warfare' Over Bitcoin
Mid-Columbia Basin's space, hydroelectric power has made it top site for bitcoin mining in US
- You'd think any old region would do for a bitcoin mining business : Just set up a computer, solve a bunch of sophisticated math puzzles, and start raking in that sweet virtual currency. But as Paul Roberts' deep dive on Politico notes, that kind of computer power can require "...
Editor Resigns After Posting
White Supremacist's Addresses
Nov 22, 2016 6:04 PM CST
Editor Resigns After Posting White Supremacist's Addresses
Politico's Michael Hirsh encouraged people to put the addresses to use
- Michael Hirsh, the national editor of Politico Magazine, resigned Tuesday, hours after publishing the home addresses of a white nationalist leader, CNN reports. "Stop whining about Richard B. Spencer, Nazi, and exercise your rights as decent Americans. Here are his two addresses..." Hirsh posted on Facebook. Spencer is...
Jan 29, 2016 7:08 AM CST
Big Media Surprise: Politico Losing Huge Names
Including CEO/co-founder Jim VandeHei, Politico Playbook journo Mike Allen
- In a surprise announcement that its owner says "[makes] perfect sense for the publication," one of the co-founders of Politico, as well as perhaps its most prominent journalist, will be leaving the publication, the
New York Times
reports. CEO Jim VandeHei, who helped launch the site in 2007,...
Aug 11, 2013 3:24 PM CDT
How Politico Destroyed the
Ross Douthat: For the WaPo to thrive again, Jeff Bezos must defeat Politico
coulda been a contender. Though the Internet has killed off and worn down many legacy media mastheads, it has allowed others to position themselves as new brands for specific national audiences, writes Ross Douthat in the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
has a clear...
Paul Ryan Doesn't Call
Romney 'the Stench'
Sep 26, 2012 6:44 PM CDT
Paul Ryan Doesn't Call Romney 'the Stench'
Joke column sets off a media mess
- The most-talked-about political story today ended up being the story
a story. If you heard references to the "stench" today, here's the tale:
Politico columnist Roger Simon wrote a piece about Romney-Ryan with this line: (Ryan) "has been marching around his campaign bus, saying things like,
Politico Yanks Reporter
Over His Todd Akin Defense
Aug 21, 2012 1:22 AM CDT
Politico Yanks Reporter Over His Todd Akin Defense
Can some agree not all reported rapes are rapes, asks Catanese
- Politico has yanked a reporter off coverage of controversial Missouri Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin after the writer defended the congressman's comments about "legitimate rape" victims, reports the
. Akin claimed—then apologized for his comments—that some mysterious biological mechanism stops "legitimate rape" victims from...
FBI Probed GOP
in Galilee Sea
Aug 20, 2012 4:11 AM CDT
FBI Probed GOP Skinny-Dipping in Galilee Sea
Congressmen's 'fact-finding mission' took a boozy turn
- At least one GOP congressman who couldn't walk on water decided to go skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee instead. A group of Republican congressmen, aides, and family members boozed it up and cooled off in the water—one of them nude—during an official fact-finding trip to the...
Jun 22, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
Politico Reporter Suspended Over Romney 'White Folks' Dig
Joe Williams implies Mitt 'awkward' around non-whites
- Politico has suspended White House correspondent Joe Williams following his implication that Mitt Romney is only at ease among "white folks." Williams told Martin Bashir on MSNBC yesterday that Romney is "very, very comfortable ... with people who are like him," Thus he can be "awkward"...
Last 2 Print
Mar 26, 2012 5:26 PM CDT
Last 2 Print Reporters Abandon Gingrich
But candidate still vows he'll soldier on to convention
- It's a good thing Newt Gingrich didn't like that pesky old mainstream media anyway, because the print media has pulled its last embedded reporters from Gingrich's flailing campaign, reports Politico , which employed one of the last two reporters dedicated to covering the candidate. The
Cain's Next Move:
Nov 4, 2011 8:34 AM CDT
Cain's Next Move: Sue Politico?
Rep says he is considering legal action against site
- As Herman Cain’s sexual harassment allegations keep piling up , his campaign is considering unspecified legal action against the publication that started it all. “This is likely not over with Politico from a legal perspective,” a Cain rep tells the
. But Politico’s executive editor says...
Issa Fires Spokesman
Over Email Flap
Mar 1, 2011 3:08 PM CST
Issa Fires Spokesman Over Email Flap
Kurt Bardella shared journalists' emails with a reporter
- The congressman in charge of investigating Congress made quick work of an investigation into his own staff. Darrell Issa, the aggressive chair of the House Oversight panel, fired spokesman Kurt Bardella today because he shared journalists' emails with a
New York Times
reports. ( Click for an...
Darrell Issa Probing Own Staffer
Mar 1, 2011 4:04 AM CST
Darrell Issa Probing Own Staffer
House Oversight Committee chairman's press secretary faces probe
- The Republican chairman of the House Oversight Committee has launched an investigation into the behavior of his own press secretary. Darrell Issa says he's trying to determine whether Kurt Bardella improperly shared emails from other journalists with
New York Times
reporter Mark Leibovich, who is writing a book about Capitol...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.