Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feds Won't Seek Death for
Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Jan 18, 2023 7:56 AM CST
Feds Won't Seek Death for Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Patrick Crusius accused of opening fire at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019
- Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty for a man accused of fatally shooting nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at a West Texas Walmart in 2019, per the AP . The Department of Justice disclosed the decision not to pursue capital punishment against Patrick Crusius in a...
Oklahoma to Allow
in Death Chamber
Jan 12, 2023 4:21 AM CST
Oklahoma to Allow Anti-Execution Minister in Death Chamber
U-turn will prevent delay to execution of Scott Eizember, officials say
- Oklahoma prison officials said Wednesday that they will allow an anti-death penalty minister with a history of protest-related arrests inside the execution chamber for Thursday's lethal injection of death row inmate Scott Eizember. Department of Corrections Director Steven Harpe said he reversed his earlier decision not to allow the...
Jan 4, 2023 1:04 AM CST
US Executes First Transgender Inmate
Missouri puts transgender woman to death
- A Missouri inmate was put to death Tuesday for a 2003 killing, in what is believed to be the first execution of a transgender woman in the US, the AP reports. (It's thought to be the country's first execution of any openly transgender person, male or female, CNN...
2022 Will Go Down
as the 'Year of the
Dec 26, 2022 5:00 PM CST
2022 Will Go Down as the 'Year of the Botched Execution'
35% of those attempted were 'visibly problematic'
- Among the various things we'll remember 2022 for, death penalty researchers add an ignoble item to the list: botched executions, and a lot of them. The Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC) in its year-end report found that the number of people who were executed in the US—18—was...
Oregon's Death Row
Gets Sentence Commuted
Dec 14, 2022 6:21 AM CST
Everyone on Oregon's Death Row Gets Sentence Commuted
Gov. Kate Brown says action was taken because death penalty is 'immoral'
- Oregon's death row will soon be empty. Gov. Kate Brown is commuting the death sentences of all 17 people on it to sentences of life without the possibility of parole, she announced Tuesday. Declaring that the death penalty "cannot be and never has been administered fairly and equitably,...
Lawyer: 'Tonight ...
Missouri Killed Kevin
Because He Is Black'
Nov 30, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Lawyer: 'Tonight ... Missouri Killed Kevin Because He Is Black'
Kevin Johnson died by lethal injection Tuesday night
- A Missouri man convicted of ambushing and killing a St. Louis area police officer he blamed in the death of his younger brother was executed Tuesday night, the AP reports. Kevin Johnson, 37, died after an injection of pentobarbital at the state prison in Bonne Terre. It was the state’...
Alabama Calls for
Halt to Executions
Nov 22, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Alabama Calls for Halt to Executions
Political scientist Austin Sarat wants to see the 'insane' method ended across the country
- Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has called for a stop to executions in the state after two failed attempts at lethal injections—a problem on display in other states this week. In a Monday release, following the failed executions of Kenneth Smith on Nov. 17 and Alan Miller on Sept. 22,...
'Today's a Day for Adam,'
Child's Killer Says at Execution
Nov 18, 2022 3:53 AM CST
'Today's a Day for Adam,' Child's Killer Says at Execution
Oklahoma executes Richard Stephen Fairchild for 1993 murder of 3-year-old
- Oklahoma executed a man Thursday for the torture slaying of his girlfriend’s 3-year-old son in 1993, the third of four scheduled executions in the US over a two-day stretch. Richard Stephen Fairchild, who turned 63 on Thursday, received a lethal three-drug combination at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester....
SCOTUS Allows Texas
Execution to Proceed
Nov 17, 2022 8:47 AM CST
SCOTUS Allows Texas Execution to Proceed
2 more executions are scheduled for Thursday
- There were 11 executions in the US in 2021, the lowest total in decades, but that number has already been surpassed this year, with more executions to come. In Texas, Stephen Barbee was executed Wednesday evening for the murders of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and her 7-year-old son in 2005. The...
Arizona Man Executed After
SCOTUS Rejects Appeal
Nov 16, 2022 1:53 PM CST
Arizona Man Executed After SCOTUS Rejects Appeal
'It’s all been said. Let it be done,' Murray Hooper told execution team
- An Arizona man convicted of murdering two people in 1980 was put to death Wednesday in the state’s third execution since officials started carrying out the death penalty in May after a nearly eight-year hiatus. Murray Hooper, 76, died by lethal injection at the state prison in Florence for...
Woman Who Killed Friend,
Took Fetus Sentenced to Death
Nov 10, 2022 7:30 AM CST
Woman Who Killed Friend, Took Fetus Sentenced to Death
Victim's mother calls Taylor Parker an 'evil piece of flesh demon'
- A Texas jury sentenced a woman to death Wednesday for killing a pregnant woman she knew to take her unborn daughter. Jurors returned with the sentence for Taylor Parker, 29, after deliberating for just over an hour, the
reports. The same Bowie County jury convicted Parker on Oct....
Texas Executes Man Who Killed
His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Nov 10, 2022 12:20 AM CST
Texas Executes Man Who Killed His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Tracy Beatty's lawyers had argued his mental illness history should rule out death penalty
- A man who killed his mother and buried her body in her backyard was executed Wednesday in Texas despite his lawyers’ appeals that he should not be put to death because he had a history of mental illness, the AP reports. Tracy Beatty, 61, received a lethal injection at the...
Texas DA Tried to
Halt His Execution. It
Went Forward Anyway
Oct 6, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Texas DA Tried to Halt His Execution. It Went Forward Anyway
John Henry Ramirez dies by lethal injection
A Texas man who won his legal battle to have his pastor with him as his execution was carried out was put to death by lethal injection Wednesday in Huntsville. John Henry Ramirez addressed the family of Pablo Castro, the Corpus Christi convenience store clerk he murdered in 2004,...
After Rollercoaster Day,
SCOTUS Says Alabama
Can Execute Man
Sep 22, 2022 11:02 PM CDT
After Rollercoaster Day, SCOTUS Says Alabama Can Execute Man
A second court blocked the execution before high court said it can proceed
A divided US Supreme Court said Alabama can proceed Thursday night with the lethal injection of an inmate convicted in a 1999 workplace shooting, vacating two lower court rulings that sided with the condemned man and his request for a different method of execution. The 5-4 decision reversed rulings...
Inmate Had No Last Words,
Which Some See as Suspicious
Aug 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Inmate Had No Last Words, Which Some See as Suspicious
Private autopsy suggests Joe Nathan James Jr.'s arm may have been cut to find a vein
- An anti-death penalty group alleges that Alabama corrections officials apparently botched an inmate's execution last month, citing the length of time that passed before the prisoner received the lethal injection and a private autopsy indicating his arm may have been cut to find a vein. Joe Nathan James Jr....
Executions in Iran
Jul 29, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
Executions in Iran Have Doubled
3 women were put to death in one day this week for killing their husbands, rights group reports
- Three women were executed in Iran this week for killing their husbands, a watchdog group says, part of a sharp increase in the use of the death penalty. The government has put twice as many people to death this year as last, the BBC reports—including 32 in the past...
of Slain Woman Want
Mercy for Her Killer
Jul 27, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Daughters, Brother of Slain Woman Want Mercy for Her Killer
They've asked Alabama governor to stop the execution
- Terryln Hall was just 6 years old when her mother, Faith, was fatally shot by a former boyfriend. Now, nearly 30 years later, Hall and her sister—along with their uncle—oppose Alabama’s plan to execute the man who killed their mother, the AP reports. Unless a judge or...
Killer Who Triggered Change
in Japan Knife Law Is Hanged
Jul 26, 2022 9:18 AM CDT
Killer Who Triggered Change in Japan Knife Law Is Hanged
Tomohiro Kato carried out a mass killing in 2008
- Twenty minutes before committing a 2008 mass murder that shocked Japan, Tomohiro Kato posted a warning online that read, "It's time." Japan apparently decided the same thing for him. The 39-year-old has been hanged in the Tokyo Detention Centre, some eight years after he received a death...
Arrested at 13, He Faced
Execution. Now He's Free
Jun 25, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Arrested at 13, He Faced Execution. Now He's Free
Murtaja Qureiris, said to be youngest Saudi prisoner for political protest, reportedly out of prison
Murtaja Qureiris is now a free man. Human rights activists say the 21-year-old, who was arrested in Saudi Arabia at age 13 after being accused of participating in Arab Spring protests three years earlier, has been released from prison, reports CNN . Qureiris, who once faced the death penalty for...
Executed in Missouri
May 3, 2022 9:14 PM CDT
Carman Deck Executed in Missouri
It's the country's 5th execution this year
- A Missouri man who killed a couple during a robbery at their rural home more than a quarter of a century ago was put to death Tuesday, becoming just the fifth person executed in the United States this year, the AP reports. Carman Deck, 56, died by injection at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.