Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dead Celebs, a Surprise Name
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Among Highest-Earning Dead Celebs, a Surprise Name
Toto drummer Jeff Porcaro comes in at No. 9 on new 'Forbes' ranking
is out with its annual ranking of the highest-earning dead celebrities, and those on the top 10 have plenty of name recognition. No. 1, for example, is JRR Tolkien, whose estate pulled in $500 million thanks to the sale of Middle Earth Enterprises to a video game company....
Vanessa Bryant Donating
Proceeds From Her Case
Aug 26, 2022 12:16 AM CDT
Vanessa Bryant Donating Proceeds From Her Case
To the foundation that honors legacies of Kobe Bryant, Gianna Bryant
- The money from the judgment Vanessa Bryant won Wednesday will benefit the foundation named for her late husband and daughter. Bryant, who won the $16 million judgment in her case against Los Angeles County following the deaths of Kobe Bryant and daughter Gianna, 13, in a 2020 helicopter crash, announced...
Jury Awards Vanessa Bryant
$16M Over Crash Photos
Aug 24, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Jury Awards Vanessa Bryant $16M Over Crash Photos
Sheriff's deputies and firefighters passed around images of remains of Gianna and Kobe Bryant
: In a unanimous verdict, a federal jury decided Wednesday that Los Angeles County must pay Vanessa Bryant $16 million over its handling of photos of her husband's body taken at the site of the NBA star's fatal helicopter crash. Sheriff's deputies and firefighters took and shared...
Top 10 Baby Names
Inspired by Sports Stars
Aug 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Top 10 Baby Names Inspired by Sports Stars
Kobe tops the most recent list
- Teachers will be calling on a lot more Kobes in about five years. As KTLA reports, the name "Kobe" tops the list of baby names presumably inspired by sports stars between 2000 and 2021. The list, compiled by Betsperts , found that more than 17,000 infants born in the...
Statue of Kobe,
at Crash Site
Jan 27, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Statue of Kobe, Gianna Unveiled at Crash Site
Miniature version of a larger work placed temporarily to honor 2nd death anniversary
- Two years to the day after a helicopter crash killed nine people, a statue was unveiled of its two most prominent victims, NBA legend Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, at the site of the tragedy in Calabasas, Calif., per CNN . The 160-pound bronze statue shows Bryant in his...
Must Turn Over
Nov 16, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant Must Turn Over Her Therapy Records
Judge rules records from 2017 on must be submitted to Los Angeles County
A judge has ruled that Kobe Bryant's widow must turn over her therapy records to Los Angeles County in her lawsuit claiming she suffered emotional distress after first responders took and shared graphic photos from the site of the 2020 helicopter crash that killed the basketball star, their...
'RIP Kobe' Was
First I Heard
of His Death
Oct 25, 2021 1:35 AM CDT
Vanessa Bryant: 'RIP Kobe' Was First I Heard of His Death
NBA star's widow revealed detail last month in deposition
- Vanessa Bryant heard from a family assistant on the morning of Jan. 26, 2020, that the helicopter her husband and daughter had taken, heading to 13-year-old Gianna's basketball games, had crashed. But the assistant thought five people had survived, and Vanessa assumed Kobe and Gianna would be among the...
Is Too Much
May 19, 2021 1:04 AM CDT
LA: Vanessa Bryant's 'Scorched Earth' Lawsuit Is Too Much
County complains in new court filing
- Vanessa Bryant is going too far in her lawsuit against Los Angeles County over photos from the site of her late husband Kobe Bryant's helicopter crash, the county says in a new court filing. Bryant, in her pursuit of information about sheriff's deputies and fire department employees who...
Vanessa Bryant, Kobe Estate
Won't Renew Nike Contract
Apr 20, 2021 5:33 PM CDT
Vanessa Bryant, Kobe Estate Won't Renew Nike Contract
The legendary Laker's widow reportedly wanted it to be easier for kids to get shoes
- Vanessa Bryant and the estate of her late husband, Kobe Bryant, won’t renew a contract with Nike. Bryant told ESPN Monday night she was hoping for a lifelong partnership with the shoe giant. Kobe’s shoes were groundbreaking—low-top sneakers were not common in the NBA—and releases sell...
Mar 18, 2021 1:52 AM CDT
Vanessa Bryant Shares Sheriff's Deputies' Names
Judge cleared the way for Kobe Bryant's widow to do so last week
- Kobe Bryant's widow, Vanessa Bryant, on Wednesday posted the names of four Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies she alleges shared graphic photos from the site of the helicopter crash that killed her husband, their daughter, Gianna, and seven others. Bryant's Instagram posts include images of portions of...
Kobe Bryant's Widow
Wins in Court
Mar 9, 2021 11:20 AM CST
Kobe Bryant's Widow Wins in Court
Vanessa Bryant can obtain the names of deputies accused of sharing crash photos
- A federal judge in California has ruled that Kobe Bryant's widow, Vanessa Bryant, can obtain the names of four Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies who allegedly shared graphic photos from the site of the helicopter crash that killed her husband, their daughter Gianna, and seven others. An effort...
Some Days 'I Feel
Like I Can't Survive'
Mar 3, 2021 11:15 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant: Some Days 'I Feel Like I Can't Survive'
But 'Kobe and Gigi motivate me to keep going'
- There are some days when Vanessa Bryant's "unimaginable" grief brings her to her knees. Almost 14 months after her husband, Kobe Bryant, and 13-year-old daughter, Gianna (Gigi), were killed in a helicopter crash near Los Angeles, "I can't say that I'm strong every day. I...
Mar 1, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant Wants Deputies' Names Released
She says they took pictures of Kobe Bryant crash site
- Vanessa Bryant wants a US court to release the names of the four Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies she says took and shared photos of her late husband, Kobe Bryant, after he, their daughter, and seven others died in a helicopter crash last year. The request is part of...
Meek Mill Apologizes for Line
About Kobe Bryant's Death
Feb 23, 2021 1:08 PM CST
Meek Mill Apologizes for Line About Kobe Bryant's Death
Rapper's track talks about dying the way the NBA star did
- A reference to the death of Kobe Bryant in a rapper's track has drawn an objection from the NBA star's wife. Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash in California in January 2020, along with his daughter Gianna and seven other people . Meek Mill's "Don't...
Feds Lay Out Final Moments
in Kobe Bryant Crash
Feb 9, 2021 10:09 AM CST
Feds Lay Out Final Moments in Kobe Bryant Crash
NTSB says pilot apparently became disoriented in clouds before crashing
- US safety investigators said Tuesday the pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter flew through the clouds last year in an apparent violation of federal standards, likely becoming disoriented just before the helicopter crashed and killed Bryant and eight others, per the AP . Pilot Ara Zobayan was flying under visual flight...
Kobe Bryant's Best Investment
Paid Off Handsomely
Jan 26, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Kobe Bryant's Best Investment Paid Off Handsomely
He put $6M into Body Armor, and stake was worth $200M just 4 years later
- Exactly one year ago, a helicopter crash took the lives of Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and seven others near Calabasas, California. The NBA legend's widow, Vanessa, was among those marking the anniversary on Tuesday, notes
. "I will never understand why/how this tragedy could’ve happened...
Vanessa Bryant Slams Mom's
'Unimaginably Hurtful' Suit
Dec 18, 2020 7:16 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant Slams Mom's 'Unimaginably Hurtful' Suit
Kobe's widow says Sofia Laine is falsely claiming she worked as a personal assistant and nanny
- A family feud between Kobe Bryant's widow and her own mom has accusations of broken promises and extortion flying. Sofia Laine, who filed a 48-page lawsuit against 38-year-old Vanessa Bryant, has claimed that she toiled away for years as the Bryants' "personal assistant and nanny," and that...
Deputy Actions at Kobe Bryant
Crash Scene Will Be Illegal
Sep 29, 2020 12:22 PM CDT
Deputy Actions at Kobe Bryant Crash Scene Will Be Illegal
Law bans unauthorized photos of accident or crime scenes
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva's wish has come true . Beginning Jan. 1, it will be illegal in California to take unauthorized photos of a crime or accident scene, as occurred in the aftermath of the Jan. 26 helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and...
Vanessa Bryant Files
Suit Against LA Sheriff
Sep 22, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Vanessa Bryant Files Suit Against LA Sheriff
Widow says deputies shared photos of Kobe crash
- Vanessa Bryant, the widow of basketball star Kobe Bryant, has filed a lawsuit against the Los Angeles County sheriff claiming deputies shared unauthorized photos of the crash that killed her husband, their 13-year-old daughter, and seven others. After the Jan. 26 crash, reports surfaced that graphic photos of the victims...
Feds Find 'Telltale Signs'
in Kobe Helicopter Crash
Jun 18, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
Feds Find 'Telltale Signs' in Kobe Helicopter Crash
The pilot may have 'misperceived' the angles
- The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in thick fog, killing Kobe Bryant and seven other passengers, reported he was climbing when he actually was heading for the ground, federal investigators said in documents released Wednesday, per the AP . Ara Zobayan radioed to air traffic controllers that he was climbing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.