Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sep 24, 2018 10:50 AM CDT
Jim Gaffigan Sued After Daughter's Soccer Ball Hits Guy
They were filming a commercial at the time
- A Queens man working on a TV commercial shoot with Jim Gaffigan in 2016 says he was left unable to work after the comedian's daughter hit him in the head with a soccer ball. James Kent is now suing Gaffigan and others involved in the shoot for unspecified damages,...
KFC Ad Seen as Mocking
Jul 6, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
KFC Ad Seen as Mocking Neymar's Theatrics
Shows a soccer player rolling and rolling and rolling ...
- Neymar's histrionics on the soccer field have become legendary , but now they may also prove lucrative—at least for KFC South Africa, if its latest ad draws people into its restaurants.
reports on the chain's minute-long spot , which shows a soccer player flailing and rolling after he...
McDonald's Sorry for Using
Grieving Kid to Sell Filet-O-Fish
May 17, 2017 2:33 AM CDT
McDonald's Sorry for Using Grieving Kid to Sell Filet-O-Fish
Ad has been pulled after outcry
- McDonald's is apologizing after one of its commercials that aired in the UK caused an uproar for exploiting childhood grief. The ad shows a young boy asking his mom to describe his late father, and being disappointed at every turn when he doesn't see any similarities between himself...
Apr 21, 2017 1:02 PM CDT
KFC's New Colonel Sanders Is Familiar Face
Actor will be featured in chicken chain's newest round of ads
- Part of the fun of watching KFC commercials is figuring out who's underneath all of the makeup in the Harland Sanders costume. Now there's a new colonel in town, the chain announced Friday: Rob Lowe. The 53-year-old
Parks and Rec
actor will be donning Colonel Sanders' trademark white...
Burger King's Invasive Ad
Crashes 'Like the Hindenburg'
Apr 13, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
Burger King's Invasive Ad Crashes 'Like the Hindenburg'
Ad triggered Google Home—briefly
- It was a great idea—until it really, really wasn't. Burger King on Wednesday launched a 15-second ad designed to promote the Whopper in a wholly 2017 way. A man dressed as an employee bemoans the lack of time available to explain what a Whopper is, then leans into...
Carl's Jr. Tries Advertising
Burgers With Actual Burgers
Mar 30, 2017 12:36 PM CDT
Carl's Jr. Tries Advertising Burgers With Actual Burgers
Fast-food chain trying to expand customer base by ditching sexy commercials
- Carl's Jr. and Hardee's are ditching the bikinis and getting back to the burgers, the AP reports. The chains are famous for advertisements featuring models and celebrities like Paris Hilton, Kate Upton, and Emily Ratajkowski munching on burgers while scantily clad. A new commercial for the chains shows...
Zoo Sues, Says Racy Ad
Traumatized Its Raccoon
Mar 17, 2017 7:54 PM CDT
Zoo Sues, Says Racy Ad Traumatized Its Raccoon
Lawsuit complains of 'erotica' over topless model
- A Moscow zoo is suing an advertising company for misuse of one of its animals. The bizarre claim? That the company used a raccoon from the zoo in an "erotic" ad and traumatized it. Officials at the Animals Aren't Toys zoo say Tomas the raccoon returned from the...
Budweiser's Super Bowl Ad
Touches Chord on Immigration
Jan 31, 2017 2:01 PM CST
Budweiser's Super Bowl Ad Touches Chord on Immigration
Spot highlights journey of Anheuser-Busch co-founder Adolphus Busch
- If you're hoping to watch the Super Bowl to escape from politics, at least one commercial will bring you right back to current events. Budweiser's homage to its co-founder, Adolphus Busch, is certainly "relevant," as
notes. The 60-second spot, called "Born the Hard...
Indians Scratching Heads
Over Trump's Ad in Hindi
Oct 27, 2016 11:54 AM CDT
Indians Scratching Heads Over Trump's Ad in Hindi
Trump uses a Narendra Modi slogan, with his name swapped in, in 30-second spot
- Less than a fortnight remains before Election Day, and Donald Trump is attempting an 11th-hour outreach to an entirely new demographic: Indian-Americans, reports the
. And so he's released a TV ad in which he attempts to speak Hindi (with a New York accent, the
'Can You Hear Me
Now' Guy Is
Jun 6, 2016 8:30 AM CDT
'Can You Hear Me Now' Guy Is Back—but Not for Verizon
Paul Marcarelli is now doing ads for Sprint
- Sprint's newest ads feature a familiar face—and the company is hoping that consumers hear what he's saying loud and clear. "Hey, I'm Paul, and I used to ask, 'If you could hear me now with Verizon?' Not anymore," former pitchman Paul Marcarelli says...
Man Behind World's
'Most Famous Ad'
Dead at 89
May 17, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
Man Behind World's 'Most Famous Ad' Dead at 89
Bill Backer known for Coca-Cola commercial, among many others
- If you were alive in the early '70s, you knew the ad. Even if you weren't, you probably do: "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" was such a hit upon its Feb. 12, 1971, debut that radio DJs were flooded with calls to play...
New Barbie Ad Features
a Fabulous First
Nov 18, 2015 7:31 AM CST
New Barbie Ad Features a Fabulous First
Mattel collaborates with Moschino in latest Barbie release
- Barbie, long the at-times controversial dominion of little girls everywhere, looks to be courting another, more unlikely group in Mattel's latest iteration of the doll, a collaboration with luxury Italian fashion house Moschino. The Moschino Barbie sold out in less than an hour when she debuted last week, reports...
Hulu Now Offers
Sep 2, 2015 2:35 PM CDT
Hulu Now Offers Commercial-Free Option
For $12 a month
- Until today, Hulu's streaming content featured commercials—even if you were a paying subscriber. But as of today, the company announced, you can pay $12 a month for an ad-free version of the streaming service. The move is intended to help Hulu better compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime,...
Hundreds Stuck in
Sep 8, 2014 11:32 AM CDT
Hundreds Stuck in Beer Commercial
Small town hosts giant party; visitors face delays in leaving
- This weekend, a small town in Colorado was transformed into a giant, Bud Light-themed party for the purposes of a commercial. But last night, as shenanigans wound down, about 1,000 people found it difficult to leave—and not because they were having too much fun. The local airport struggled...
May 29, 2014 8:46 AM CDT
Arby's Airs a 13-Hour Commercial
Setting a Guinness Record in the process
- Norway's 8-hour TV program that featured nothing but wood burning is amateur hour compared to this: a 13-hour, 5 minute, 11-second commercial of brisket smoking. That spot, which aired Saturday, has set a Guinness World Record (the former record-holding commercial, by Nivea, was a measly hour), and the honor...
Liza Minnelli Had Breakdown Over Throat Drops Ad
Jan 15, 2014 10:44 AM CST
Liza Minnelli Had Breakdown Over Throat Drops Ad
Martha Stewart to the rescue, says report
- If you watched the Golden Globes, you may have noticed Martha Stewart shilling for Pine Brothers Softish Throat Drops in a rare ad appearance. But Liza Minnelli was originally intended to star in the commercial, according to a crazy
New York Post
story that claims Minnelli initially insisted on a...
'Pardon Me' Ad
Back From Grave
Feb 19, 2013 11:39 AM CST
Grey Poupon's 'Pardon Me' Ad Back From Grave
Will air during Oscars after 16-year hiatus
- Grey Poupon's famous "Pardon Me" TV commercial is returning for a moment of Oscar glory. After a 16-year hiatus, the mustard that mocked its own stuffy image in one of TV's most famous commercials will once again take to the airwaves during Sunday's Academy Awards. The...
Starting Today, TV Ads
Can't Blare Anymore
Dec 13, 2012 3:24 PM CST
Starting Today, TV Ads Can't Blare Anymore
FCC implements rule toning down volume of commercials
- TV viewing could soon sound a little calmer. The CALM Act, which limits the volume of TV commercials, goes into effect today. CALM stands for Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation. The act is designed to prevent TV commercials from blaring at louder volumes than the program content they accompany, and it...
The Best Nike Ad
of the Games?
Aug 4, 2012 5:40 PM CDT
The Best Nike Ad of the Games?
Nathan Sorrell, 12, stars in inspiring 'find your greatness' ad
- A Nike Olympic ad that asks us to "find our greatness" has highlighted its unlikely star: 12-year-old Nathan Sorrell. He's the hefty boy who's jogging—or perhaps chugging—in from the horizon as a voiceover tells us that "greatness is no more unique to us than...
Fox Refuses Ads for
Service to, Well, Kill Ads
May 17, 2012 12:26 PM CDT
Fox Refuses Ads for Service to, Well, Kill Ads
Dish Network's Hopper can automatically skip commercials
- How awesome would it be if your DVR automatically skipped commercials on shows recorded off the major networks? Probably not very awesome if you were one of those same networks, which is why they're outraged over the Dish Network's upcoming "Hopper," which, Dish announced last week,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.