Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Most
Stressed City in America
Jul 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed City in America
Cleveland tops WalletHub's list, while Vermont's South Burlington chillaxes in last place
- Between work, family issues, money, and life's other usual trials and tribulations, trying to tamp down on stress can seem a fruitless task. There may be some areas of the country, however, where you can surround yourself with a calmer, more carefree populace. WalletHub examined the 182 largest US...
This Is the Most Stressed
State in America
Mar 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Mississippi needs to meditate, per WalletHub, while Minnesota seems to be handling its tension just fine
- Need to squeeze one of those stress balls more than you used to? It could have something to do with where you live. WalletHub looked at all 50 states to see which ones were the most afflicted by anxiety and tension, examining more than three dozen metrics across four main...
Want to Relieve Stress?
Breathe This Way
Mar 13, 2023 8:03 AM CDT
Want to Relieve Stress? Breathe This Way
Research shows that sighing can help
- If you've ever let out a big old sigh during a frustrating or exasperating situation, there's now science behind why you might have felt even slightly better. New research out of Stanford shows that just five minutes a day of breathing that way can be an effective stress...
This University Has the Most
Jan 15, 2023 10:45 AM CST
This University Has the Most Stressed-Out Students
Berkeley fares the worst in new assessment
- UC Berkeley is known as a "workaholic" school, according to the online learning platform Preply , and that may explain why the university's students appear to be the most stressed-out in the nation. Preply analyzed student tweets from college towns during the fall semester and assessed them for stress...
Here Are the
Dec 12, 2022 12:55 PM CST
Here Are the 10 Most Stressful Jobs in America
Urologist tops the Occupational Information Network's rankings
- Think your job is stressful? Unless you're a urologist yourself, don't complain to a urologist. That's because that job tops the Occupational Information Network's ranking of nearly 900 jobs in terms of stress levels.
notes that the occupations that cause the most chest-tightening are...
May Be Able
to Smell It
Sep 29, 2022 8:59 AM CDT
Stressed Out? Your Pooch May Be Able to Smell It
New research shows canines can use their noses to detect changes in human breath, sweat samples
- Dogs are known for their olfactory superpowers , leading to jobs as drug sniffers and as helpers in search and rescue efforts. Now, those sensitive noses are being credited with something closer to home: being able to detect when their owners are stressed. New research published Wednesday in
Commuters in This
City Have It the Worst
Sep 3, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Commuters in This City Have It the Worst
New York City claims the most commuting stress, Virginia Beach the least, per new report
- When you're exhausted and cranky before you even get to work ... well, welcome to the world of commuting. One US city in particular, which already had a reputation for a grind of a commute, now has the dubious honor of officially being deemed the city with the most stressful...
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Majorly Stressed Out
Mar 11, 2022 1:18 PM CST
Americans Are Majorly Stressed Out
87% say mental health has faltered under 'constant stream of crises without a break' since 2020: APA
- Feeling stressed out more than you were, say, in 2019? Makes sense, according to a new survey from the American Psychological Association, which says that a COVID-fatigued America now grappling with higher prices at the pumps and supermarkets, as well as gruesome images from a war overseas, is being hit...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Our Email Use Is
Mar 2, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Our Email Use Is 'Literally Inhumane'
Cal Newport argues we need alternatives to constant work messaging
- You hear a ping and look down at your phone to see that you have another email on top of hundreds still unread. If you immediately feel anxious, Cal Newport understands. The professional world has embraced email to such a degree that it now relies on near-constant communication at the...
One More Thing to Blame
on COVID: Your Teeth
Sep 9, 2020 8:59 AM CDT
One More Thing to Blame on COVID: Your Teeth
Dentist says stress from virus is causing people to clench, grind teeth, leading to fractures
- Plenty of odd COVID-19 symptoms have cropped up , but one condition is now being documented in the dentist's chair—and it's not a symptom of the illness, but an apparent result of being stressed out by it. Writing in the
New York Times
, prosthodontist Tammy Chen details the...
Stomach Rebelling Over Stress?
'Love' Hormone May Help
Sep 1, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Stomach Rebelling Over Stress? 'Love' Hormone May Help
Scientists find that oxytocin plays bigger role in stress reduction, digestion than previously thought
- When you're cuddling with someone special, you may feel butterflies in your stomach—but scientists now say the feel-good hormone that's released when you're in love may also be playing another part when it comes to your GI tract. Researchers have long known that when people are...
This Is the Least Stressed
City in America
Jul 15, 2019 5:46 PM CDT
This Is the Least Stressed City in America
Congratulations, Fremont, California
- When it comes to stress levels, the cities of Detroit and Fremont, California, are America's polar opposites. A new ranking by WalletHub —one that accounts for factors such as work hours, divorce and suicide rates, and debt—pegs Detroit as the most stressed city in the nation. Fremont,...
One Part of the World
Is Pretty Positive
Apr 26, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
One Part of the World Is Pretty Positive
Gallup poll: Latin American nations tend to have less negativity
- Feeling angry, worried, and stressed? So is the rest of the world, though some areas are more prone to those feelings than others. That's per Gallup's "Global Emotions" report , cited by the BBC , which surveyed 151,000 people in more than 140 countries to gauge their negative...
This State Has
the Least Stress
in case you missed it
Apr 6, 2019 8:06 AM CDT
This State Has the Least Stress
Minnesota is best in new ranking
- Lousiana and Minnesota are the yin and yang of stress, according to a new survey by WalletHub . The website ranked the states from most to least stressed, using factors such as money trouble (bankruptcies, etc.), family trouble (divorce rate, etc.), work stress (unemployment, commute time, etc.), and...
Mar 19, 2019 2:03 AM CDT
Astronauts' Newest Health Concern: Herpes
Study finds dormant viruses can reactivate in individuals who've endured stresses of space travel
- Astronauts who "boldly go where no man has gone before," as William Shatner's Captain Kirk once put it , likely anticipate their body will undergo certain changes while in space. But how many have guessed they might see a herpes flare-up? New research from NASA shows that the...
America's 10 Most
Jul 21, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
America's 10 Most Stressful Cities
Detroit is a tough town. Fremont, CA, not so much
- Stress, death, and taxes—all inevitable, right? Maybe so, but a WalletHub analysis of 180 US cities finds they inflict stress in unequal measure. Analyzing 37 metrics like suicide rates, debt load, divorce, and average work hours per week, researchers boiled them down to four stress areas: work, finance, family,...
5 States That
Need to Loosen Up
Apr 3, 2018 10:11 AM CDT
5 States That Need to Loosen Up
WalletHub uses 38 stress indicators to rank most, least stressed states
- The Midwest is best—at least when it comes to living a relatively stress-free life. WalletHub took a look at nearly 40 stress indicators related to work, family, money, and health, in all 50 states and DC to determine the most and least stressed states. Its list suggests anxiety rises...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.