Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
$2.04B Powerball Winner Won't
Pay State Tax on Jackpot
Nov 14, 2022 5:55 PM CST
$2.04B Powerball Winner Won't Pay State Tax on Jackpot
Unlike 36 other states, California doesn't tax lottery winnings
- California is one of the highest-taxed states but whoever won the $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot last week is probably glad they don't live elsewhere. Unlike 36 other states, California doesn't charge state income tax on lottery winnings, which is "like winning a second $123 million jackpot"...
A Single Winning
Powerball Ticket Was Sold
Nov 8, 2022 12:29 PM CST
A Single Winning Powerball Ticket Was Sold
Record $2.04B jackpot goes to someone who picked up a ticket in California
- Someone who bought a Powerball ticket in California has won a record $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot after more than three months without anyone hitting the top prize. California Lottery officials tweeted that the winning ticket was sold at Joe’s Service Center on West Woodbury Road in Altadena, which...
$2.04B by the Time
Numbers Were Drawn
Nov 8, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Powerball Hit $2.04B by the Time Numbers Were Drawn
It's not yet clear if there was a winner
- After an overnight delay, Powerball numbers were drawn Tuesday morning after 9am Eastern time, CNN reports. The already record-high jackpot had reached $2.04 billion by the time the drawing took place. Winning numbers: 10-33-41-47-56, with a Powerball of 10. It's not yet clear if there was a winner.
After Powerball Drawing,
You're Still Not a Billionaire
Nov 6, 2022 6:05 AM CST
After Powerball Drawing, You're Still Not a Billionaire
Nobody had a winning ticket, pushing the record jackpot on Monday to $1.9B and counting
- In another universe, you might have played the Powerball Saturday and picked the numbers 28, 45, 53, 56, 69 with a Powerball of 20. However, that bit of luck did not happen for you or anyone else who played the record $1.6 billion lottery, reports Fox Business . For the...
Is Now a Record
Nov 4, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Is Now a Record
Drawing Saturday night will be for $1.6B
- The Powerball jackpot is now a mind-boggling $1.6 billion, which the AP notes is the biggest lottery prize ever. The next drawing is Saturday night. For the record, a lucky winner who opts for the cash payout would get about $782 million. Also for the record, your odds of...
Just Keeps Swelling
Nov 1, 2022 5:19 AM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Just Keeps Swelling
No, you didn't win Monday night; next drawing is Wednesday night
- There were no big treats from the Halloween night Powerball drawing, as none of the tickets sold matched all six numbers, the AP reports. The lack of a winner means the next drawing Wednesday night will be for a massive $1.2 billion jackpot. The winning numbers drawn Monday were:...
How Does a
Oct 31, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
How Does a $1B Powerball Prize Sound?
Because that's the updated estimate for Monday's drawing after no one won on Saturday
- If you thought you'd be hurling virtual daggers at some lucky stranger who won the $825 million Powerball drawing held over the weekend, put them away until at least Tuesday morning. That's because no one won the Saturday jackpot, meaning the kitty for Monday night's drawing has...
You Might Want to Grab a
Ticket for Saturday's Powerball
Oct 29, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
You Might Want to Grab a Ticket for Saturday's Powerball
Prize is set for $825M, which will be 2nd-largest ever for the game if someone wins
- If you're feeling particularly lucky this weekend, you may want to pick up a Powerball ticket. CNN reports that officials from the Multi-State Lottery Association have bumped up the prize for Saturday night's drawing in Tallahassee, Fla., from a paltry $800 million to $825 million (cash value: $410....
Someone Just Won 7th-Largest
Jackpot in US Lottery History
Oct 5, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Someone Just Won 7th-Largest Jackpot in US Lottery History
Winning ticket for $700M Powerball pot was sold in California
- After 40 drawings without a big Powerball winner, a single ticket sold in California matched all six numbers and was the lucky winner of the nearly $700 million jackpot prize, officials said. The winning numbers drawn Monday night were 12, 22, 54, 66, and 69. The Powerball was 15. Thanks...
Powerball Jackpot Swells As
Winnerless Streak Continues
Oct 3, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Swells As Winnerless Streak Continues
There's been no winner for 40 consecutive drawings
- The biggest lottery prize in months grew larger after no ticket matched all five numbers and the Powerball drawn on Saturday night, per the AP . The estimated jackpot for the next drawing on Monday is $670 million. Saturday night's numbers were 28, 38, 42, 47 and 52. The...
Powerball Goes 0 for 39,
Leading to Massive Jackpot
Sep 30, 2021 12:27 PM CDT
Powerball Goes 0 for 39, Leading to Massive Jackpot
It's now up to $620M ahead of Saturday's drawing
- After nearly four months without a big winner, the Powerball jackpot has climbed to an estimated $620 million, making it the 10th largest US lottery prize ahead of Saturday night's drawing, per the AP . There have been 39 drawings in a row without a Powerball grand prizewinner, dating back...
Jun 18, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Someone Won $731M Here. Now, 'Strange Things' Are Happening
Powerball mystery continues in Lonaconing, Md.
- Whoever won this Powerball jackpot "is no fool." That's the assessment of the
, which covers a group of still-anonymous $731 million lottery winners in Lonaconing, Md., and the "strange things" that have been happening since the win was announced in January. Everyone in the...
$731M Powerball Winner
Was Sold in Hard-Up Town
Jan 22, 2021 3:10 AM CST
$731M Powerball Winner Was Sold in Hard-Up Town
'We’re really happy for somebody' in Lonaconing, Maryland
- The latest jackpot-winning Powerball ticket, worth $731.1 million , was sold in a struggling coal mining town whose biggest previous claim to fame was being the hometown of baseball Hall of Famer Lefty Grove. Someone bought it at Coney Market, a convenience store in the Allegany County town of Lonaconing,...
Single Winner Takes
Massive Powerball Jackpot
Jan 21, 2021 12:37 AM CST
Single Winner Takes Massive Powerball Jackpot
Meanwhile, Mega Millions hits $970M
- By Wednesday night, Powerball's jackpot had risen to $731 million—the fifth-largest ever, per the AP —and after the evening's drawing, one single ticket sold in Maryland was declared a winner. The lottery will now reset to $20 million, Michigan Live reports. Meanwhile, the Mega Millions jackpot,...
Just Got Even Bigger
Jan 14, 2021 7:39 AM CST
Powerball Jackpot Just Got Even Bigger
Mega Millions, Powerball haven't had a jackpot winner in months
- After months without a jackpot winner , the prizes in America's two major national lotteries have swollen to enormous sizes, though the odds of winning remain unchanged at around 300 million to one.
reports that in Wednesday night's Powerball draw, nobody matched all six numbers—4-19-23-25-49 and...
Are Sky High
Jan 11, 2021 1:08 AM CST
Powerball, Mega Millions Are Sky High
$550M and $600M, respectively
- The Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots are massive right now after the latest drawings produced no big winners, ABC 7 reports. Powerball is up to $550 million, the highest it's gone since March 2019. Mega Millions is at $600 million for just the fourth time ever. The next drawings...
2 Jackpots Hit Dizzying Heights
Jan 7, 2021 10:00 AM CST
2 Jackpots Hit Dizzying Heights
Mega Millions and Powerball numbers to be drawn Friday and Saturday, respectively, at near $500M
- Two massive lottery prizes could be nabbed this weekend. No ticket was sold matching all six numbers drawn Tuesday in the Mega Millions lottery. That means "what could be the eighth largest jackpot in Mega Millions history is up for grabs on Friday," according to a release . The...
They Shook On It in 1992,
and the Lottery Just Came In
Jul 23, 2020 1:42 PM CDT
They Shook On It in 1992, and the Lottery Just Came In
Wisconsin man will split $22M jackpot with his buddy because of their old pledge
- A western Wisconsin man will share his millions in lottery winnings with a longtime friend because of a promise they made to each other nearly three decades ago, per the AP . Friends Tom Cook and Joseph Feeney shook hands in 1992 and promised that if either one of them ever...
Famed Powerball Winner
Who Lost So Much Dead at 72
Jun 30, 2020 7:07 PM CDT
Famed Powerball Winner Who Lost So Much Dead at 72
Jack Whittaker's wife left him, his granddaughter died after record win
- Andrew "Jack" Whittaker Jr., whose life became rife with setbacks and tragedy after winning a record $315 million Powerball jackpot on Christmas night in 2002, has died. He was 72. An official with the Ronald Meadows Funeral Parlor in Hinton, West Virginia, said Tuesday that Whittaker died of natural...
He Won $1M Twice in One Day
Apr 29, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
He Won $1M Twice in One Day
'Joe B.' of Colorado bought 2 Powerball tickets with his lucky numbers
- It was a bit surprising when two convenience stores within a mile of each other reported selling winning tickets for $1 million Powerball jackpots on March 25—that is, until one man claimed both prizes. The Colorado man, identified as "Joe B.," has been playing the same numbers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.