Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Kim Jong Un
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kim Jong Un Celebrates
Satellite Launch With Daughter
Nov 24, 2023 7:40 AM CST
Kim Jong Un Celebrates Satellite Launch With Daughter
Kim Ju Ae is pictured by her father's side
- All those who attended a Thursday banquet to celebrate North Korea's first spy satellite reaching orbit "enthusiastically cheered, expressing thanks to the great father who finally ensured the successful launch," state media reported, per the
. The group included Kim Jong Un's young daughter. Photos show...
North Korea: We
First Spy Satellite
Nov 21, 2023 12:25 PM CST
North Korea: We Launched Our First Spy Satellite
Kim Jong Un achieves a long-sought goal after two previous attempts failed
- North Korea claimed to have successfully placed a spy satellite into orbit with its third launch attempt this year, demonstrating the nation's determination to build a space-based surveillance system during protracted tensions with the United States. The North's claim could not immediately be independently confirmed, per the AP...
Kim's Parting Gifts
Include Bulletproof Vest
Sep 17, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Kim's Parting Gifts Include Bulletproof Vest
South Korean president warns allies would answer tighter military ties between Russia, North Korea
- Kim Jong Un has stepped aboard his personal train for the slow trip home after six days of talks with Russian leaders and tours of military installations. A ceremony at a railway station in the far Eastern city of Artyom sent North Korea's ruler off Sunday to the strains...
for Russia's War
Sep 13, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Kim Pledges 'Unconditional Support' for Russia's War
Wednesday's meeting in Russia's Far East suggests likelihood of a weapons deal
- Kim Jong Un vowed "full and unconditional support" for Russia's "just fight" during his summit with President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, suggesting North Korea may well supply ammunition to the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Kim made the comments after touring launch pads with Putin at...
Kim Jong Un,
Sep 13, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin Shake Hands
North Korean leader meets with Russian president
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un shook hands Wednesday as they launched their highly anticipated meeting at the Vostochny cosmodrome in Russia's far east. Kim's powerful sister, Kim Yo Jong, is there too. Hours before the meeting started, Pyongyang launched two short-range ballistic...
Kim Jong Un Has an
Way to Travel
Sep 12, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Has an Unusual Preferred Way to Travel
North Korean leader's green and yellow train is well protected, but slow as a result
- As Kim Jung Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for his first known trip outside North Korea in more than four years, all eyes were on Vladivostok's train station, rather than its airport. Kim arrived in Vladivostok on a "bulletproof" train that is both heavy and slow, with...
Kim Jong Un Arrives in
Russia for Putin Meeting
Sep 12, 2023 2:31 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Arrives in Russia for Putin Meeting
Kim reportedly wants to trade munitions for aid, military tech
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for a meeting with President Vladimir Putin where they are expected to offer each other increased support in their escalating standoffs with the West, the AP reports. North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said Kim boarded his...
North Korea Unveils
'Nuclear Attack Submarine'
Sep 8, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
North Korea Unveils 'Nuclear Attack Submarine'
It's based on Soviet-era technology, analysts say
- North Korea has unveiled what the government says is a "nuclear attack submarine" that extends the country's nuclear capabilities by "leaps and bounds." State media released photos of Kim Jong Un at a launch ceremony this week for the "Hero Kim Kun Ok," named...
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting
in Russia Soon: Reports
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting in Russia Soon: Reports
Leaders expected to discuss weapons, sources say
- A US official said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia soon to meet with President Vladimir Putin as the Kremlin tries to acquire military equipment for use in its war in Ukraine, the AP reports. The official, who was not authorized to address the...
Putin, Kim Jong Un
Have Swapped Letters
Aug 30, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
US Intelligence: Putin, Kim Jong Un Have Swapped Letters
Russia is believed to be seeking North Korean arms
- The White House on Wednesday said that it has new intelligence that shows Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un have swapped letters as Russia looks to North Korea for munitions for the Ukraine war. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby detailed the latest finding just weeks after the White House...
Report: Kim Wants
to 'Gird for a War'
Aug 10, 2023 8:26 AM CDT
Report: Kim Wants to 'Gird for a War'
North Korean leader is said to have fired his top general, wants more weapons and military drills
- Looks like Kim Jong Un is cleaning house and boosting his war prep. First, Gen. Pak Su Il, the nation's top general, was "dismissed" after about seven months on the job, per a KCNA report cited by Reuters . Pak, who served as chief of the General Staff, is...
As N. Korea
Jul 28, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
As N. Korea Displays Nukes, a Message From Putin
Russian leader thanked North for its 'firm support' amid Victory Day celebrations in Pyongyang
- Pyongyang hosted quite a military parade Thursday evening, complete with tens of thousands of spectators, a display of North Korea's nuclear weaponry , and delegates from Russia and China . The event, marking the 70th anniversary of the armistice that stopped the fighting in the Korean War, also saw a special...
Kim Shows Banned Missiles
to Russian Defense Chief
Jul 27, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Kim Shows Banned Missiles to Russian Defense Chief
Some analysts see North Korea, Russia, China as reviving Cold War-era coalition
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un showed off his banned ballistic missiles to Russian defense minister Sergey Shoigu on Wednesday in a sign of just how closely aligned the two countries are becoming. Delegations led by Shoigu, the first Russian defense minister to visit North Korea since the fall of...
US Spy Flight
Jul 10, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
North Korea: Warplanes Turned Back US Spy Flight
Kim suggests incursions could meet with consequences
- North Korea said Monday that its warplanes turned back a US spy plane that was over its territorial waters earlier in the day. The statement was made by Kim Yo Jong, sister of the nation's ruler, Kim Jong Un, and one of the government's top foreign policy officials....
After 'Most Serious' Failure,
North Korea Vows to Go Again
Jun 19, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
After 'Most Serious' Failure, North Korea Vows to Go Again
Top officials direct harsh words to those responsible for marred launch of spy satellite
- Top North Korean officials vowed to push for a second attempt to launch a spy satellite as they called their country's first, and failed, launch last month "the most serious" shortcoming this year and harshly criticized those responsible, state media reported Monday. In late May, a North Korean...
South Korea Takes a Guess
at Kim's Weight
Jun 1, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
South Korea Takes a Guess at Kim's Weight
North Korean leader is estimated to be nearly 310 pounds, based on AI analysis
- North Korea keeps a tight lid on personal information about Kim Jong Un, but a South Korean lawmaker is happy to speculate. Yoo Sang-bum told reporters that an intelligence report by the South estimates Kim now weighs more than 300 pounds and is in all-around bad health, reports Reuters. "...
Kim Jong Un Has a New Toy
Aimed at US, South Korea
May 17, 2023 10:09 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Has a New Toy Aimed at US, South Korea
Military spy satellite is aimed to stem 'US imperialists and [South] Korean puppet villains'
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un examined a finished military spy satellite, which his country is expected to launch soon, during a visit to his country's aerospace agency, where he described space-based reconnaissance as crucial for countering the US and South Korea. As the AP reports, Kim during Tuesday'...
S. Koreans Are Nervous. Enter
the 'Washington Declaration'
Apr 26, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
S. Koreans Are Nervous. Enter the 'Washington Declaration'
It reaffirms the US commitment to protect the country and deter the North
- The US hasn't docked a nuclear ballistic missile submarine in South Korean waters since the 1980s. That's about to change under the "Washington Declaration," which President Biden and South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol are set to announce Wednesday. The agreement outlines stepped-up deterrence commitments the...
Kim Jong Un: We've
Completed First Spy Satellite
Apr 19, 2023 5:01 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un: We've Completed First Spy Satellite
Planned launch date was not disclosed
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said his country has completed the development of its first military spy satellite and ordered officials to go ahead with its launch as planned, state media reported Wednesday. During his visit to the North’s aerospace agency Tuesday, Kim stressed it’s crucial to...
Kim: We'll Expand
Mar 28, 2023 5:01 AM CDT
Kim: We'll Expand Nuclear Arsenal 'Exponentially'
N. Korean strongman calls for nuclear scientists to boost production of weapons-grade material
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has called for his nuclear scientists to increase production of weapons-grade material to make bombs to put on his increasing range of weapons, the AP reports. The report in state media Tuesday followed a series of missile launches—seven launch events in this month...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.