Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about driving under the influence and drunk driving stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fiery Crash Kills Owner of
Celebrity Hangout, Son
Nov 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fiery Crash Kills Owner of Celebrity Hangout, Son
Kevin Gonzales, facing double murder charges, seen undergoing sobriety test
- The owner of a celebrity hangout and his young son have died in a horrific, fiery crash in California that is being blamed on a suspected drunk driver. Kevin Gonzales, 21, is facing charges of double murder after police say he slammed his vehicle into a classic Ford Mustang carrying...
Crowd-Surfed, Then Got a DWI
Oct 12, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
School Superintendent Crowd-Surfed, Then Got a DWI
James Thomson was spotted flying high at NY high school football game before his arrest
- When you're the superintendent of a school district, it's perfectly fine to attend school events and show enthusiasm—but maybe not
much enthusiasm. Jason D. Thomson may be reflecting upon that after a weekend that kicked off with his attendance at Baker High School's football game...
NTSB: Put a
in Every New Car
Sep 21, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
NTSB: Put a Booze Detector in Every New Car
Congress has already required NHTSA to make automakers install systems within 3 years
- The National Transportation Safety Board is recommending that all new vehicles in the US be equipped with blood alcohol monitoring systems that can stop an intoxicated person from driving. The recommendation, if enacted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, could reduce the number of alcohol-related crashes, one of the...
Speaks Out on
of My Life'
Aug 20, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Hope Solo Speaks Out on 'Worst Night of My Life'
Retired soccer goalkeeper says drinking that led to DUI spurred partly from postpartum depression
- Nearly a month after pleading guilty to charges of driving while impaired in North Carolina in late March, while her twin toddlers were in the car, Hope Solo is talking publicly about what happened. Making an appearance this week on her
Hope Solo Speaks
podcast , the 41-year-old former soccer goalkeeper...
Killed in Golf Cart Crash
Aug 9, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Grandfather, Grandkids Killed in Golf Cart Crash
Driver of SUV involved in collision faces DUI charges
- Four people killed in a weekend golf cart collision in Texas were a grandfather, two of his grandchildren, and a niece who were visiting Galveston for a quick vacation before school began, police said. The crash happened Saturday after a driver accused of being intoxicated ran a stop sign and...
DUIs on Golf Carts and
Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Aug 4, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
DUIs on Golf Carts and Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Recent arrests occurred along state's busiest interstate, at Walmart
- A woman with an open bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey in a bag was arrested for driving a golf cart on Florida's busiest interstate while drunk, according to an arrest report. The 58-year-old woman was arrested Saturday night on the shoulder of Interstate 95. She's now facing...
Jul 26, 2022 1:12 AM CDT
Hope Solo Pleads Guilty
Gets 30 days, fine in DWI case
Hope Solo on Monday pleaded guilty to driving while impaired and was sentenced to 30 days, with 30 days' credit given for the time she spent in an inpatient rehab facility . She was also hit with $3,100 in fees and fines and ordered to complete all recommended substance...
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Paul
Arrested for Suspected DUI
May 29, 2022 8:41 PM CDT
Nancy Pelosi's Husband Paul Arrested for Suspected DUI
The Speaker of the House was in Rhode Island at the time
- Paul Pelosi, the 82-year-old husband of Nancy Pelosi, was arrested this weekend on suspicion of DUI in Northern California, police records showed Sunday. Paul Pelosi was taken into custody late Saturday in Napa County north of San Francisco, according to a sheriff's office online booking report cited by the...
Bill: Drunk Drivers Who Kill
Parents Must Compensate Kids
Apr 22, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Bill: Drunk Drivers Who Kill Parents Must Compensate Kids
Bill is expected to be signed by Gov. Bill Lee in Tennessee
- Drunk drivers who kill the parent of a minor will be forced to pay child support until the child reaches the age of 18 under a new law to be signed in Tennessee. House Bill 1834 unanimously passed the state Senate on Wednesday after gaining unanimous support in the state...
We Walked Away'
Mar 28, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Talking Heads Musicians' Close Call: 'Incredibly, We Walked Away'
Husband and wife musicians Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz survived a head-on crash
- This is likely not the wild, wild life they hoped to experience. Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz, the married couple perhaps best known as the bassist and drummer, respectively, for new wave group Talking Heads, were in a head-on collision two weeks ago, and Weymouth, 71, is still recovering from...
Troopers Left Suspicious Driver
Who Later Killed Them: Report
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 26, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Troopers Left Suspicious Driver Who Later Killed Them: Report
Driver suspected of DUI struck and killed 2 Pennsylvania troopers and a pedestrian, police say
- Two Pennsylvania troopers were helping a man on the side of a highway early Monday when a driver plowed into them, killing all three. In a shocking twist, Martin F. Mack III, 33, and Branden Sisca, 29, had initially pulled over the female driver on suspicion of driving under the...
Trooper Puts Herself in Path
of Car Speeding Toward Race
Mar 9, 2022 11:52 AM CST
Trooper Puts Herself in Path of Car Speeding Toward Race
Florida Highway Patrol's Toni Schuck is being hailed for her 'self-sacrifice'
- Florida Highway Patrol Master Trooper Toni Schuck steered her vehicle to the left to block the lane in which a driver was speeding toward her. Then, just as the driver steered to go around her, Schuck turned to the right. The result was an ear-splitting crash as the car slammed...
Calls to Resign
After 2 Arrests
Nov 29, 2021 11:20 AM CST
Calls to Resign for Young Lawmaker After 2 Arrests
Democratic Kan. state Rep. Aaron Coleman busted for drunk driving after past domestic-battery arrest
- A 21-year-old embattled Kansas lawmaker was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving—his second arrest in less than a month—and is facing fresh calls for his resignation or removal from office. A Kansas trooper arrested Aaron Coleman around 1am Saturday on Interstate 70 near Lawrence, the Kansas Highway Patrol...
There's a 'Grand
Drinking and Driving
Nov 7, 2021 7:01 AM CST
There's a 'Grand Misconception' About Drinking and Driving
Why is it legal to drink anything before driving, wonders Danny Cevallos
- Henry Ruggs was allegedly driving 127mph , with at least twice the legal limit of blood alcohol concentration, before rear-ending a vehicle carrying a 23-year-old woman and her dog in Las Vegas on Tuesday, killing both . The former Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver is charged with felony DUI resulting in death,...
Alleged Road-Rage Crash
'a Parent's Worst Nightmare'
Aug 10, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Alleged Road-Rage Crash 'a Parent's Worst Nightmare'
Krista Nichols, unborn son died Saturday; boyfriend Miguel Larios is accused of driving drunk
- Police say a California man had been drinking Saturday when he got behind the wheel of his truck, accompanied by his 8-months-pregnant girlfriend, who would soon die along with her unborn son. The driver, 26-year-old Miguel Larios, "was involved in a road rage incident with a second vehicle for...
Springsteen Was Arrested
for DWI at NJ Federal Park
Feb 10, 2021 11:56 AM CST
Springsteen Was Arrested for DWI at NJ Federal Park
Authorities say arrest happened in November
- In the 1980 song "Wreck on the Highway," Bruce Springsteen reflected on the grief caused by a car crash—which will make his arrest for alleged drunk driving all the more disappointing for fans. TMZ reports the 71-year-old rock legend was arrested in a federal park in New...
Jan 10, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Police Chief 'Shocked' by This Arrest
Man racks up 18th drunk driving offense
- “I am frankly shocked.” That’s the reaction from Green Bay, Wis., police Chief Andrew Smith regarding a local man’s recent drunk driving arrest. The reason for his shock: It was Wallace Carl Bowers' 18
operating while intoxicated offense, police say. Police were responding to reports of...
Mayor Falls Asleep in
Drive-Thru, Crashes Cadillac
Dec 3, 2020 8:45 AM CST
Mayor Falls Asleep in Drive-Thru, Crashes Cadillac
Kentucky mayor failed field sobriety test
- A Kentucky mayor crashed her silver Cadillac into a utility pole after falling asleep in the drive-thru line at a White Castle, police say. Beverly Chester-Burton, mayor of the Louisville suburb Shively, was charged with driving under the influence after the incident Tuesday night, the
reports. Police say...
5 Dead in Germany
Dec 1, 2020 5:41 PM CST
5 Dead in Germany Vehicle Rampage
'They just wanted to go to the city, shop, and now they are dead'
- In what authorities are calling a rampage—but with no apparent connection to terrorist groups—a man drove into pedestrians in the city of Trier in western Germany Tuesday, killing five people and injuring many others. Authorities say the 51-year-old was arrested after driving an SUV into a pedestrian zone...
Oct 29, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Video Allegedly Shows Driver Drinking Before Fatal Crash
Texas' Camilo Morejon charged in crash that killed his 3 passengers
- A fatal crash in Houston is making headlines because of video from one of the vehicles taken just before the collision. It appears to show the driver drinking a beer and telling his three passengers that he drives better when he drinks, reports NBC News . The Facebook Live video of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.