Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mexico's Stolen 'Treasure'
Turns Up in Massachusetts
Nov 23, 2022 11:38 AM CST
Mexico's Stolen 'Treasure' Turns Up in Massachusetts
495-year-old document signed by Hernando Cortes was taken from national archives
- The FBI in Boston has recovered a nearly 500-year-old manuscript signed by the man whose expedition caused the fall of the Aztec Empire. The handwritten payment order signed by Spanish Conquistador Hernando Cortés, which had been listed for auction in Massachusetts, is believed to have been stolen from Mexico'...
Ex-Model Takes Plea
in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Nov 11, 2022 10:41 AM CST
Ex-Model Takes Plea in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Prosecutors say victim Thomas Burchard cut off money he had been giving to Kelsey Turner
- A former model has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the fatal beating of a 71-year-old psychiatrist, reports
. Kelsey Turner, 29, took what's known as an Alford plea in the 2019 slaying of Thomas Burchard, meaning she maintained her innocence while pleading guilty to the murder charge....
Suspect Charged in
Nov 10, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Suspect Charged in Synagogue Threat
Prosecutor says suspect shared document reflecting his 'hatred of Jews'
- An 18-year-old New Jersey man has been charged with threatening to attack a synagogue last week. The FBI had issued a warning after receiving what it called a broad threat to the state's synagogues. Prosecutors said Thursday that Omar Alkattoul of Sayreville had shared links to a document he'...
FBI: Threat to
Nov 4, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
FBI: Threat to NJ Synagogues Is Resolved
Agents say they questioned a man with radical views but don't specify whether he's in custody
- Religious leaders in New Jersey were assured Friday by the FBI that the threat to synagogues they were warned about the day before no longer exists. The agent in charge of the agency's Newark office said the FBI had identified a man who holds "radical extremist views,"...
Report: Trump Had Documents
With Intel on China, Iran
Oct 21, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Report: Trump Had Documents With Intel on China, Iran
Former president pushes back against 'Washington Post' account
- The classified documents FBI agents found at Mar-a-Lago included intelligence about China and Iran, people with knowledge of the government investigation have told the
. One file detailed Iran's missile program, they said, while other highly sensitive documents seized at former President Trump's Florida home involved US...
Report: ABC Producer Hasn't
Been Seen Since April FBI Raid
Oct 19, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Report: ABC Producer Hasn't Been Seen Since April FBI Raid
Colleagues say James Gordon Meek 'fell off the face of the Earth'
- ABC News investigative producer James Gordon Meek resigned abruptly and has apparently been lying very low since an FBI raid on his Arlington, Virginia, home in April, according to a report in
. In what the magazine notes could be the first raid carried out on a journalist by...
Employee Says Trump Ordered
Boxes Moved After Subpoena
Oct 13, 2022 1:34 AM CDT
Employee Says Trump Ordered Boxes Moved After Subpoena
And security camera footage may show exactly that happening at Mar-a-Lago
- Former President Trump directed employees to move boxes of documents after he was subpoenaed in May for any classified documents still in his possession, according to a Trump employee who spoke to federal agents. Sources familiar with the FBI investigation into Trump's handling of classified documents talked to the...
FBI Spied on Aretha Franklin
Oct 12, 2022 4:24 PM CDT
FBI Spied on Aretha Franklin
During civil rights movement, agency looked for connections to Black Panthers
- Spying on the leaders and organizers of the civil rights movement was a regular FBI practice, but a recently released file shows the extent of the surveillance of Black entertainers, including singer Aretha Franklin. Comedian Dick Gregory and singer Harry Belafonte were being monitored as well, the
New York Times
There's Enough Evidence to
Charge Hunter Biden: Agents
Oct 6, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
There's Enough Evidence to Charge Hunter Biden: Agents
Decision on prosecution is up to a Trump appointee
- Four years into the investigation, federal agents say they have assembled enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. The evidence concerns tax crimes and a statement connected to the purchase of a gun, the
reports. The decision on whether to prosecute President Biden's son falls...
in Capitol Attack
Oct 5, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Pastor Charged in Capitol Attack
FBI: William Dunfee proclaimed Hallelujah on Jan. 6
- FBI agents on Wednesday arrested a church pastor from Ohio who was filmed telling rioters to "rise up" during the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. William Dunfee, 57, faces felony charges of interfering with a law enforcement officer during a civil disorder, in addition to obstruction of an...
Sources: Some Papers
Seized at Mar-a-Lago
Were Beyond Top Secret
Sep 7, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
Sources: Some Papers Seized at Mar-a-Lago Were Beyond Top Secret
Sources say at least one describes nuclear capabilities of a foreign government
- The FBI raid at Mar-a-Lago last month recovered a document describing the military defenses—including nuclear capabilities—of a foreign government, according to sources who spoke to the
. The sources did not name the government. The
previously reported that agents were specifically looking for documents related to...
Judge Grants Trump's
Special Master Request
Sep 5, 2022 12:17 PM CDT
Judge Grants Trump's Special Master Request
Outside expert will review classified documents seized from Mar-a-Lago
- In a move that will slow down the Justice Department's investigation of classified material found at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate, a federal judge has granted the former president's request to have a "special master" review the seized documents. US District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who was...
On Unsealed FBI Inventory List:
90 Empty Folders at Mar-a-Lago
Sep 2, 2022 1:27 PM CDT
On Unsealed FBI Inventory List: 90 Empty Folders at Mar-a-Lago
48 of them were marked 'classified'; it's not clear where the contents are, or when they vanished
- As more details continue to emerge in the wake of the FBI's search of Mar-a-Lago last month, a federal judge gave the green light Thursday to unseal a more detailed list of inventory recovered from former President Trump's resort in Palm Beach, Fla. Among the revelations this newly...
Monkee Micky Dolenz
Is Suing the FBI
Aug 30, 2022 6:01 PM CDT
Monkee Micky Dolenz Is Suing the FBI
Dolenz wants to see what files the Bureau has on the band and its members
- The last of the Monkees, Micky Dolenz, has filed a lawsuit against the FBI to "obtain any records" the bureau has on the band, according to the Hill. The lawsuit states that Dolenz, 77, "exhausted all necessary required administrative remedies," having submitted a FOIA request back in...
if Trump Is
Aug 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Graham Makes Dire Prediction if Trump Is Prosecuted
He predicts 'riots in the streets' if it happens
- Lindsey Graham delivered an ominous warning Sunday about a potential prosecution of Donald Trump—he predicted "riots in the streets" if it happens, reports the Hill . What's more, he made the prediction twice. It caught the attention of Trump himself, who posted a video clip of Graham's...
Key Points From
the Trump Affidavit
Aug 26, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
Key Points From the Trump Affidavit
Redacted document says 184 classified documents were found in January
- The Justice Department released its blacked-out version of the Mar-a-Lago affidavit Friday afternoon, and news outlets were scrambling to make sense of what could be read. In the affidavit, the department argued that the FBI search had to be conducted because a batch of documents retrieved from the Florida residence...
Feds Release Redacted
Aug 26, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Feds Release Redacted Mar-a-Lago Affidavit
It's expected to shed new light on the FBI search of Trump's residence
- The Mar-a-Lago affidavit is out, sort of. As ordered by a court , the Justice Department on Friday released a heavily blacked out document explaining the justification for an FBI search of former President Trump's Florida estate earlier this month . The document (read it here ) is likely to offer...
Feds Submit Redacted
Version of Trump Affidavit
Aug 25, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
Feds Submit Redacted Version of Trump Affidavit
Whether document related to Mar-a-Lago search will be released to the public remains unclear
The redactions are in. The Justice Department on Thursday submitted a redacted version of the affidavit for the Mar-a-Lago search warrant to a federal judge, reports CNN . Now the judge will review it and decide whether it makes sense to release it to the public. Media outlets want the...
Poll: Trump Gains Steam
Among GOPers After FBI Raid
Aug 22, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Poll: Trump Gains Steam Among GOPers After FBI Raid
Percentage of GOP voters who support Trump over Republican Party spikes from May, per NBC poll
- After the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago earlier this month, the walls may feel like they're closing in on former President Trump, at least from a legal standpoint. In the court of public opinion with fellow Republicans, however, that search may have helped to give Trump a boost, at least...
Trump Allies Want Him
to Release Search Footage
Aug 18, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Trump Allies Want Him to Release Search Footage
Eric Trump says family will release Mar-a-Lago footage 'at the right time'
- The FBI's search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate has been a fundraising bonanza for the former president—and some Trump allies have urged the former president to release surveillance footage of the search, believing using the footage in campaign-style ads could "bolster Trump's claims of political...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.