Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Photographer Fatally Injured
at High School Game
Sep 8, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
Photographer Fatally Injured at High School Game
Linda Gregory hit her head on concrete after collision with players in Wichita
- The Wichita Northwest High School football team will be wearing "LG" stickers on their helmets for the rest of the season in honor of Linda Gregory, a beloved team photographer who was fatally injured in a sideline accident Monday night. The 69-year-old was taking photos of a junior varsity...
Judge Blocks Changes
to Trans People's
Aug 31, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Judge Blocks Changes to Trans People's Birth Certificates
Ruling follows approval of Kansas legislation reducing back trans rights
- A federal judge ruled Thursday that Kansas officials shouldn't keep changing transgender people's birth certificates so the documents reflect their gender identities. US District Judge Daniel Crabtree approved Republican state Attorney General Kris Kobach's request to block the changes because of a new state law rolling back...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Newspaper Owner Yelled at
Cops: 'Get Out of My House!'
Aug 23, 2023 5:02 PM CDT
Newspaper Owner Yelled at Cops: 'Get Out of My House!'
Security video shows 98-year-old Joan Meyer, who died a day later, ordering raiding police out
- Newly released video shows the 98-year-old mother of a Kansas newspaper publisher confronting police officers as they searched her home in a raid that has drawn national scrutiny , at one point demanding: "Get out of my house!" Video released by the newspaper shows Joan Meyer shouting at the...
County Drops Search Warrant
Used in Kansas Newspaper Raid
Aug 16, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
County Drops Search Warrant Used in Kansas Newspaper Raid
Items taken from office are returned to 'Marion County Record'
- The Kansas newspaper whose offices were raided by police last week has had its seized belongings returned, after the county attorney decided there was "insufficient evidence" to justify the search. Joel Ensey said he has withdrawn the search warrant under which officers raided the
Marion County Record
, touching off...
Co-Owner of Kansas Newspaper
Dies Day After Police Raid
Aug 14, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Co-Owner of Kansas Newspaper Dies Day After Police Raid
Major news outlets are among dozens condemning raid on Kansas paper
- The day after police raided the office of the Kansas newspaper she co-owned, along with her own home, Joan Meyer collapsed and died. Meyer co-owned the
Marion County Record
with her son Eric Meyer, the paper's publisher, and along with the newspaper office, police also descended on their home...
Police Raid Kansas Newspaper
Aug 12, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Police Raid Kansas Newspaper
Press association calls attack on 'Marion County Record' illegal and unprecedented
- Police officers and sheriff's deputies raided the offices of a Kansas newspaper on Friday, taking computers and cellphones, apparently in response to a confidential source providing documents to the paper's staff. The officers seized "everything we have," said Eric Meyer, owner and publisher of the
She's Going to
Jail for Taking
Jun 22, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
She's Going to Jail for Taking Classified Docs
Ex-FBI analyst gets nearly 4 years behind bars, in case seen as similar to former president's
- The verdict is in, and it's prison time for bringing those classified documents home. No, not for former President Trump—his case is still pending —but the
New York Times
notes the similarities between his situation and that of Kendra Kingsbury, a former FBI intelligence analyst who was...
Dad of 13 Dies After
Saving Daughter in Rapids
Jun 20, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Dad of 13 Dies After Saving Daughter in Rapids
Kansas neurologist Dustin Harker died of brain injury after reaching Arkansas River shore
- A father of 13 who was thrown from a raft that overturned on the Arkansas River managed to save his daughter, who was pinned beneath the raft, before dying of his own injuries. Dustin Harker, a neurologist from Kansas, had ventured to the Sunshine Falls area of Colorado's Royal...
100 Letters With
Suspicious Powder Sent
to State Lawmakers
Jun 19, 2023 2:38 PM CDT
100 Letters With Suspicious Powder Sent to State Lawmakers
Letters tested negative for common toxins investigators in Kansas say
- About 100 letters containing suspicious white powder have been sent to lawmakers and other public officials across Kansas, officials said. No injuries have been reported, according to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation. It had counted more than 30 letters as of late Friday afternoon and increased the tally to 100...
Kansas Board Sets
Rule on Trans Athletes
Apr 27, 2023 4:31 AM CDT
Kansas Board Sets Rule on Trans Athletes
Legislature failed to override governor's veto of another anti-trans measure
- A Kansas board decided Wednesday that high schools and middle schools must see transgender athletes' first birth certificates to decide what teams they can join, while an effort in the Legislature to end gender-affirming care for transgender minors failed. The Kansas State High School Activities Association's executive board took...
Reaching the Arch
Feb 3, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Balloon Crosses Kansas, Missouri, Reaching the Arch
Midwest residents track flight with binoculars, telescopes
- A spy balloon launched by China floated east from Montana on Friday, spotted by residents in Kansas and Missouri—and reached the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Local members of Congress said the federal government had confirmed the sightings were of a spy balloon. Residents in Kansas; the Kansas City...
Woman's Kia Gets Stuck
Under Semi-Truck for 8 Miles
Jan 25, 2023 12:28 PM CST
Woman's Kia Gets Stuck Under Semi-Truck for 8 Miles
The wild scene happened Wednesday morning in Kansas
- Remember the scene in
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
where the family's station wagon gets stuck under a tractor-trailer ? Something like that happened for real in Kansas on Wednesday morning, except it reportedly lasted a whole lot longer. Police say that around 3:40am, a flurry of 911...
With One Misstep,
Dog Shoots, Kills Hunter
Jan 24, 2023 2:19 PM CST
With One Misstep, Dog Shoots, Kills Hunter
Loaded gun went off in a pickup truck in Kansas, authorities say
- A dog fatally shot a member of its hunting party over the weekend. Yes, you read that correctly. The dog stepped on a loaded rifle in the backseat of a pickup truck Saturday morning in Kansas' Sumner County, the sheriff's office said, per KAKE . The gun went off, with...
Here Are the Worst States
in America for Drivers
Jan 16, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Here Are the Worst States in America for Drivers
And the best, per WalletHub's ranking, which puts Hawaii in last place
- Whether we get behind the wheel for leisurely cruising, for our daily commutes, or to take care of errands, American drivers have long contended with traffic, potholes, fluctuating gas prices, and the other annoyances. WalletHub wanted to see which states were better to drive in than others, and it looked...
New Look at 1980 Evidence
Leads to Murder Arrest
Dec 11, 2022 9:20 AM CST
New Look at 1980 Evidence Leads to Murder Arrest
Steven Hanks of Kansas accused of shooting 23-year-old Mary Robin Walter
- A Kansas man has been charged in the 1980 shooting death of a 23-year-old neighbor after investigators who reexamined her death turned up new evidence, authorities said. Kansas Bureau of Investigation officers arrested 68-year-old Steven Hanks, of Burden, on a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Mary Robin...
Kansas Board: Please Drop
Native American Mascots
Nov 10, 2022 6:45 PM CST
Kansas Board: Please Drop Native American Mascots
Report cites harm the branding can do to students' self-esteem
- The Kansas State Board of Education on Thursday recommended that the state's public school districts eliminate Native American mascots and branding to reduce their harmful impacts on students. The board approved a motion making a "strong recommendation" that Kansas public K-12 nontribal schools retire Native American-themed mascots and...
Kansas Man Sentenced
for Illegal Autopsy Scheme
Sep 20, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
Kansas Man Sentenced for Illegal Autopsy Scheme
Self-taught pathology assistant Shawn Parcells gets 6 years
- A Kansas man who admitted running an illegal autopsy scheme has been sentenced to nearly six years in prison for wire fraud. Shawn Parcells, 42, was sentenced Monday in federal court to one count of wire fraud, the US Attorney's office said. He pleaded guilty in May. As part...
FBI Arrests Kansas Detective
12 Years After His Retirement
Sep 16, 2022 9:32 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Kansas Detective 12 Years After His Retirement
Roger Golubski allegedly used his position to sexually abuse two Black women
- A homicide detective in Kansas used his position to sexually abuse two Black women, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday. Roger Golubski, 69, who retired from the Kansas City Police Department in 2010, has been arrested by the FBI. The indictment charging him with six counts of deprivation of civil...
Kansas Recount Changes
Few Votes on Abortion Rights
Aug 20, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Kansas Recount Changes Few Votes on Abortion Rights
Activist who made request says the effort was worth the trouble
- Results from eight of nine Kansas counties that recounted ballots found fewer than 35 changed votes from the Aug. 2 election, when voters soundly rejected a proposed amendment that would have removed abortion rights from the state's constitution. The counties faced a 5pm Saturday deadline to complete the hand...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.