Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mario Vargas Llosa
Out of Castro's Revolution,
the 'Boom' Was Born
Dec 4, 2016 9:07 AM CST
Out of Castro's Revolution, the 'Boom' Was Born
Fidel's success inspired Garcia Marquez, a generation of influential writers
- When Fidel Castro seized power in Cuba in 1959, the reverberations of his revolution caused a somewhat unlikely consequence: An explosion of literature never before seen in Latin America, and only rarely seen elsewhere, of such quantity and quality that it was labeled "the boom." “It’s...
Wins Nobel in
Oct 7, 2010 7:47 AM CDT
Vargas Llosa Wins Nobel in Literature
Peruvian's name wasn't even being mentioned
- The Swedish Academy today skipped right over writers rumored to have a lock, and handed the 2010 Nobel Prize in Literature to dark horse Mario Vargas Llosa. In awarding him the prize, the academy cited the Peruvian writer's "cartography of structures of power and his trenchant images of the...
Chavez Cuts TV Debate
After Row With Writer
May 31, 2009 7:40 AM CDT
Chavez Cuts TV Debate After Row With Writer
Program suspended after challenge Vargas Llosa
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez cancelled an edition of his TV show after a confrontation with famous Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa, reports the BBC. Chavez had challenged Vargas Llosa to hold a televised debate with pro-Chavez academics. In a volley of insults, Vargas Llosa responded that he would only debate...
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.