Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Doesn't Have a Terminal
Illness. She'll Die on Sunday
Oct 8, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
She Doesn't Have a Terminal Illness. She'll Die on Sunday
Martha Sepulveda to die by euthanasia in Colombia, which in July loosened its right-to-die rules
- In late 2018, Martha Sepulveda was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the progressive neurological condition also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. On Sunday, the 51-year-old Colombian mother and devout Catholic will die by legally permitted euthanasia—the first in her nation to be allowed to do so despite not...
With Only Months to Live,
an Essay on What He'll Miss
Jul 25, 2021 5:48 PM CDT
With Only Months to Live, an Essay on What He'll Miss
Jack Thomas of the Boston Globe writes perhaps his final story
- Jack Thomas wrote his first story for the
in 1958. All these years later, he is still writing for the newspaper, though his latest essay might well be his last. In it, Thomas reveals that he has terminal cancer and only months to live. "Editing the final...
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can
Go On Because He's Dead'
Feb 9, 2021 7:44 AM CST
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can Go On Because He's Dead'
Victims' families relieved after serial killer, rapist Anthony Sowell dies in prison hospital
- A serial killer and rapist who terrorized Cleveland before the bodies of 11 women were found on his property has died on death row. "Cleveland strangler" Anthony Sowell was moved Jan. 21 from Ohio's Chillicothe Correctional Institute to the end-of-life care unit at the Franklin Medical Center in...
Netherlands Plans to Allow
Euthanasia for Under-12s
Oct 14, 2020 5:28 PM CDT
Netherlands Plans to Allow Euthanasia for Under-12s
Government says move will help children 'suffering hopelessly and unbearably'
- The Netherlands is set to become the second country in the world to allow euthanasia for terminally ill children under 12. After months of debate in the country's ruling coalition, Health Minister Hugo de Jonge said regulations would be changed to help "a small group of terminally ill...
A Dying 31-Year-Old's
Advice: Beware 'Autopilot'
Sep 8, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
A Dying 31-Year-Old's Advice: Beware 'Autopilot'
Elliot Dallen writes about new perspective after cancer, importance of not taking life for granted
- Elliot Dallen does not have long to live. The London resident is 31 and has terminal cancer—adrenocortical carcinoma, to be precise—and in an essay at the
, he writes that his time left can now be measured in weeks. But he's not looking for pity. Yes, "...
She Got the
Death She Wanted,
With David Bowie
Aug 5, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
She Got the Death She Wanted, With David Bowie and Pizza
Cancer patient Kerry Robertson, 61, is first Aussie to die under new assisted-suicide law
- It took nearly a month to go through the approval process, but an Australian woman finally got her wish and ended her own life last month. The BBC reports that 61-year-old Kerry Robertson became the first Aussie to take advantage of a new law currently available only in the state...
Man Arrested for Helping
Dying Wife Commit Suicide
Jun 21, 2019 10:19 AM CDT
Man Arrested for Helping Dying Wife Commit Suicide
Kevin Conners says wife Lori had terminal cancer
- A Westbrook, Connecticut, man helped his cancer-stricken wife to die by suicide and now faces manslaughter charges, state police said. Kevin Conners, 65, told investigators that he held a revolver to the head of his wife, Lori, 62, who pulled the trigger on Sept. 6, according to the arrest warrant....
8th State Legalizes
Jun 13, 2019 12:36 AM CDT
8th State Legalizes Assisted Suicide
Maine's governor hopes it will be 'used sparingly'
- Maine legalized medically assisted suicide on Wednesday, becoming the eighth state to allow terminally ill people to end their lives with prescribed medication. Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, who had previously said she was unsure about the bill, signed it in her office. "It is my hope that this law,...
Family Fights to Save Boy With
Jun 18, 2018 2:12 PM CDT
Family Fights to Save Boy With 'Childhood Alzheimer's'
Carter Sarkar's family is trying to raise $1 million in one month for Sanfilippo syndrome research
- During a visit to the doctor for chronic pancreatitis in 2016, the gastroenterologist suggested to Jennifer Sarkar that she take her son, Carter, to see a geneticist because he was not yet potty-trained. "After 30 seconds [the geneticist] looked at him and said, 'He might have Sanfilippo syndrome,...
'Right-to-Try' Drug Bill
May 23, 2018 12:03 AM CDT
Congress Passes 'Right-to-Try' Drug Bill
Law will let terminally ill patients bypass FDA
- A "right-to-try" bill that allows terminally ill patients to request medication that hasn't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration has passed Congress and is expected to be signed by President Trump. The bill, which passed the Senate last August, sailed through the House Tuesday with a...
Assisted Suicide Now
Legal in a 6th State
Apr 6, 2018 9:46 AM CDT
Assisted Suicide Now Legal in a 6th State
Hawaii joins the list, which also includes California and Vermont
- Hawaii became the latest state to legalize medically assisted suicide Thursday as the governor signed a measure into law allowing doctors to fulfill requests from terminally ill patients to prescribe life-ending medication. "It is time for terminally ill, mentally competent Hawaii residents who are suffering to make their own...
Mom Raised $40K
for Son's Cancer
Care. He Didn't
Aug 9, 2017 6:10 PM CDT
Mom Raised $40K for Son's Cancer Care. He Didn't Have It
Monika Burgett is accused of having her 3-year-old's eyebrows, head shaved in the ruse
- A woman has been accused of pretending to be a doctor and falsely claiming her preschool-age son had terminal cancer so he could receive unnecessary hospital care and opioids. A Hamilton County prosecutor told jurors on Tuesday at the trial of Monika Burgett that she convinced doctors at Cincinnati Children'...
Will Die in
Jul 26, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Charlie Gard's Parents Concede He Will Die in Hospital
Connie Yates requests medical team of her choosing for hospice care
- The parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard conceded Wednesday that he will die in a hospice and not at home as they had previously wished, the AP reports. Connie Yates, the mother of the baby at the center of an international medical and legal battle, returned to London's...
Woman Stuck in Alaska After
Terminal Cancer Diagnosis
Jul 26, 2017 10:48 AM CDT
Woman Stuck in Alaska After Terminal Cancer Diagnosis
- A couple who left on a two-week "trip of a lifetime" to see mountains and glaciers in Alaska in late April is now stuck in a hospital in Anchorage. Nancy and Paul Greathouse, who married later in life, had both recently retired after working for 40 years. This was...
Charlie Gard's Dad on Hearing
Latest on Dying Baby: 'Evil!'
Jul 21, 2017 12:50 PM CDT
Charlie Gard's Dad on Hearing Latest on Dying Baby: 'Evil!'
Brain scans on little Charlie said to be 'sad reading'
- The British parents of critically ill baby Charlie Gard have been told by a hospital lawyer that the results of their son's latest brain scans make for "sad reading." Great Ormond Street Hospital lawyer Katie Gollop broke the bad news to Charlie's parents at a pre-court...
You Can Make Dying Army
Vet's Wish Come True
Jul 17, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
You Can Make Dying Army Vet's Wish Come True
Iraq veteran Lee Hernandez is taking phone calls from strangers
- The wife of a military veteran suffering from a terminal illness is soliciting calls from strangers to brighten her husband's last days. Lee Hernandez, an 18-year Army veteran who served in Iraq, is dying of an undiagnosed medical condition in hospice care at his home in New Braunfels, Texas,...
NYC Hospital Says It Has
'Agreed to Admit' Charlie Gard
Jul 7, 2017 1:43 AM CDT
NYC Hospital Says It Has 'Agreed to Admit' Charlie Gard
But 'legal hurdles' have to be cleared first
- A New York City hospital says it has "agreed to admit and evaluate" Charlie Gard, the terminally ill British baby whose case has attracted the attention of Pope Francis and President Trump . New York Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University Irving Medical Center says it can admit 11-month-old Charlie, provided...
Trump Wades Into Issue
of Terminally Ill UK Baby
Jul 3, 2017 10:45 AM CDT
Trump Wades Into Issue of Terminally Ill UK Baby
Says US 'would be delighted' to help Charlie Gard
- President Trump is offering help to a terminally ill British baby. Trump tweeted Monday that "if we can help little #CharlieGard, as per our friends in the U.K. and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so." The White House did not immediately answer questions about...
to His Grave
Oct 28, 2016 12:44 PM CDT
Artist Takes Strangers' Tattooed Secrets to His Grave
Most of the secrets inked onto Andrew Henderson's body weren't even his own
- Andrew Henderson knew he didn't have long to live due to his lymphoblastic lymphoma, which doctors told him was incurable. And so he held a "living funeral" last weekend, per the CBC , and the "Taking It to the Grave" event was a testament to the "ebullient...
Husband of Real
Fault in Our Stars
Couple Has Died
Sep 19, 2016 5:03 AM CDT
Husband of Real
Fault in Our Stars
Couple Has Died
Dalton Prager was 25; wife Katie is in hospice
- They've been likened to the fictional couple battling cancer in
The Fault in Our Stars
, and there will be no fairy tale ending for Dalton and Katie Prager. Instead of cancer, each had cystic fibrosis, and after striking up an online relationship seven years ago, they met in person...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.