Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
2024 Olympics May Boast
'More Artistic' New Sport
Feb 21, 2019 9:25 AM CST
2024 Olympics May Boast 'More Artistic' New Sport
IOC appears to be on board for break-dancing
- Break-dancing might just become an Olympic sport. Organizers of the 2024 Games in Paris have put forth their suggestions for four sports to be added to the current roster of 28, with breakdancing listed alongside surfing, climbing, and skateboarding. The latter three sports are already confirmed for Tokyo 2020, but...
Family Questions Timeline
for Big Wave Surfer's Death
Sep 28, 2018 2:28 PM CDT
Family Questions Timeline for Big Wave Surfer's Death
Authorities say Adam D'Esposito drowned; his family isn't sure that's the whole story
- The search for a big wave surfer who went missing in Mexico this month has ended with the recovery of Adam Francis D'Esposito's body near the town of Rosarito,
reports. The body was reportedly found Sept. 9—a week after he went missing—but D'Esposito's...
Dude, Check Out
Aug 21, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Dude, Check Out California's New State Sport
Surfing is officially sanctioned
- Surf's up in California, where it's now the official state sport, per the AP . Gov. Jerry Brown said Monday he has signed a bill making it so. The new law declares surfing to be "an iconic California sport"—though it acknowledges that surfing originated with the...
Tesla Sells Out of Its
Jul 30, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Tesla Sells Out of Its $1,500 Surfboards
The company's unusual offering can fit into its electric cars
- Tesla offered an unusual item over the weekend on its website: a surfboard. Branded just like the cars in sleek black and red with the electric car company's unmistakable logo, the $1,500 item was available Saturday until all 200 limited edition boards flew off the virtual shelves and...
Surfer Breaks Record
for Biggest-Ever Wave
Apr 30, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
Surfer Breaks Record for Biggest-Ever Wave
Brazil's Rodrigo Koxa mastered 80-foot wave
- A Brazilian surfer has claimed the "Biggest Wave" award—and a place in the record books—for mastering a monster wave big enough to wash away Godzilla. Officials at the World Surf League determined that Rodrigo Koxa set a new record last November for the biggest wave ever surfed...
This Might Become
California's Official Sport
Jan 22, 2018 2:00 PM CST
This Might Become California's Official Sport
Surfing, of course
- California has an official state tree in the redwood. Now two lawmakers think that something else is so Californian in its nature that it deserves similar stature: surfing. Yes, State assembly members Al Muratsuchi and Ian Calderon have introduced Assembly Bill 1782 to make surfing the official state sport, reports...
Nov 14, 2017 9:25 AM CST
When Shark Came, Surfer Remembered a Trick
Charlie Fry punched it in the nose, escaped
- A novice surfer mastered a pro's move on the first try: He punched a shark on the nose to escape its jaws, per the AP . The attack Monday afternoon off the Australian coast left Charlie Fry with superficial puncture wounds on his right shoulder and upper arm. Fry, a...
Wild Clip Shows
Breaks His Back
Nov 9, 2017 12:05 PM CST
Wild Clip Shows Moment Surfer Breaks His Back
'What can I say, I got a little excited': Andrew Cotton
- A big-wave surfer is already dreaming of getting back on his surfboard a day after breaking his back in what the
describes as "mountainous seas" off Nazare, Portugal. Britain's Andrew Cotton, 36, was one of several professional surfers riding big waves Wednesday when a gigantic wall of...
'Luckiest Guy on Earth' Escapes
Tussle With Great White Shark
Sep 11, 2017 6:51 AM CDT
'Luckiest Guy on Earth' Escapes Tussle With Great White Shark
Shark snapped Abe McGrath's board
- A 35-year-old surfer was taken to a hospital in Australia on Sunday after a shark snapped his board, tore his hip, and flung him into the air, the AP reports. Abe McGrath was surfing at Iluka, off Australia's east coast, when what he described as an 11-foot great white...
Waves. It Cost
Him His Life
Sep 7, 2017 9:35 AM CDT
Teen Surfer Sought Irma's Waves. It Cost Him His Life
Zander Venezia drowned in dangerous conditions in Barbados
- A young professional surfer is dead after venturing into waves generated by Hurricane Irma. Zander Venezia, 16, was surfing on the east coast of Barbados on Tuesday when he ran into trouble with a closeout set—a wave that breaks all at once so that a surfer doesn't have...
Orgs Fight Over
Jun 17, 2017 2:45 PM CDT
Canoeing, Surfing Orgs Fight Over Stand-Up Paddleboarding
A court will decide which sport gets to claim SUP
- Ending an argument we're sure has happened at least once on a slow afternoon in a bar somewhere, a court will finally decide whether stand-up paddleboarding is closer to surfing or canoeing. The
New York Times
reports the Court of Arbitration for Sport has been asked to settle a...
The Seedy Underside
of the '60s Surf Scene
May 9, 2017 5:52 PM CDT
The Seedy Underside of the '60s Surf Scene
'Vanity Fair' peeks into life of legendary Miki Dora, and the 'lost boys' who followed him
- Three teens featured in a 1961
magazine article thrust California surfing life into the spotlight, a seemingly carefree existence of surf, sand, and sun. But as Sheila Weller explores in
, there were darker undertones floating underneath the Malibu surfing scene, an "underground saga" that often masked...
Rescued Surfer: 'I'd Pretty
Much Made Peace With It All'
May 4, 2017 6:19 PM CDT
Rescued Surfer: 'I'd Pretty Much Made Peace With It All'
Matthew Bryce says he 'knew' he was going to die after 32 hours at sea
- The 23-year-old Scottish surfer rescued Monday night after 32 hours adrift at sea says he was prepared to die as he faced the prospect of a second night spent clinging to his surfboard, the BBC reports. "I was watching the sunset, and I'd pretty much made peace with...
Suit: As Ship Went Down,
Captain Fled With Masseuse
May 1, 2017 11:01 AM CDT
Suit: As Ship Went Down, Captain Fled With Masseuse
8 surfers allege their $30K Indian Ocean dream trip became a nightmare
- "Chaos ensued. The masseuse panicked and jumped onto the Jet Ski with the captain." That's not a line from a romance novel set at sea but part of a lawsuit filed after a pricey surf outing allegedly went horribly awry. Courthouse News reports five Californians and three...
Giant Waves Is a
Thing of Past
Nov 27, 2016 12:53 PM CST
Surfing Amazon's Giant Waves Is a Thing of Past
Man-made influences are being blamed
- As the sun crosses the Equator during the fall and spring equinoxes in September and March, strong gravitational and lunar pulls trigger tidal bores around the world as the flow of nearby rivers reverses and the water grows turbulent. Along Brazil’s remote Araguari River in the Amazon, this created...
This 7-Year-Old 'Squirrel'
Is a Surfing Wunderkind
Aug 17, 2016 1:25 PM CDT
This 7-Year-Old 'Squirrel' Is a Surfing Wunderkind
Meet Quincy 'The Flying Squirrel' Symonds
- We've all seen squirrels water ski , but have you ever seen a squirrel surf? ABC News reports Australia's Quincy "The Flying Squirrel" Symonds is already carving waves like a pro despite being only 7 years old. "She is definitely special," the World Surf League women'...
Surf Wars: Suit
Hits 'Bay Boys'
for Hogging Beach
Apr 18, 2016 10:53 AM CDT
Surf Wars: Suit Hits 'Bay Boys' for Hogging Beach
Group known to threaten outsiders
- Lunada Bay in Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., "appears to be a surfer's dream," notes the
New York Times .
However, thanks to a local group known as the Bay Boys, trying to catch a wave a there can be a nightmare. "These guys tried to really hurt...
at Deadly Spot
Dec 9, 2015 11:53 AM CST
Dramatic Rescue After Pro-Surfer Goes Under at Deadly Spot
Body-boarder Andre Botha pulled unconscious man to surface
- Florida pro surfer Evan Geiselman, 22, was riding a 20-foot wave at Hawaii's Pipeline—one of the world's deadliest surfing spots—on Sunday when he disappeared as the lip curled over him. The Pipeline off Oahu's North Shore delivers breakers that can force a surfer underwater until...
Big-Name Surfer Breaks Neck
Sep 9, 2015 7:50 AM CDT
Big-Name Surfer Breaks Neck
Shawn Dollar promises to be 'back in no time'
- The surfing world got a stark reminder of the sport's dangers this week when one of its top athletes broke his neck in four places off California's Central Coast, reports the Surfer Today blog . Shawn Dollar ran into trouble Monday among 25-foot waves in Big Sur and hit...
66 Surfers Crowd Onto Board to Break World Record
Jun 21, 2015 12:00 PM CDT
66 Surfers Crowd Onto Board to Break World Record
They somehow managed to ride a wave together for 12 seconds
- About 5,000 spectators crowded the sand and a pier in Huntington Beach, Calif., to watch 66 surfers set a world record for most people riding a board at once. Surf champions and local heroes were among those who hung loose on a custom-built, 42-foot board off Huntington Beach yesterday....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.