Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pope to Europe: There's
No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Sep 23, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Pope to Europe: There's No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Francis implores Macron, other leaders to open their doors to people fleeing hardships
- Pope Francis challenged French President Emmanuel Macron and other European leaders to open their ports to people fleeing hardship and poverty, insisting Saturday that the continent isn't facing a migration "emergency," but rather a long-term reality that governments must deal with humanely. For a second straight day...
Upset New Yorker Blares
Message to Migrants on Repeat
Sep 14, 2023 4:36 AM CDT
Upset New Yorker Blares Message to Migrants on Repeat
'Immigrants are not safe here,' loudspeaker outside shelter says in 6 languages
- A New Yorker upset that the city has been housing homeless migrants on his block has set up a loudspeaker to deliver an unwelcoming message to his new neighbors: "Immigrants are not safe here." The message, recorded in six languages, blares all day from a loudspeaker on Scott...
Texas' Floating Barrier
Staying Put (for Now)
Sep 8, 2023 12:37 AM CDT
Texas' Floating Barrier Staying Put (for Now)
Stay issued in legal challenge of Rio Grande buoys
- Texas' floating barrier isn't going anywhere, at least for now. A federal appeals court on Thursday put on hold the Wednesday ruling from a lower court that ordered the state to remove it by next week. The stay allows the barrier to stay put while the legal challenge continues,...
Adams: Migrant Crush
'Will Destroy New York City'
Sep 7, 2023 4:06 PM CDT
Adams: Migrant Crush 'Will Destroy New York City'
Deficit could near $12B, mayor says, meaning service cuts across the board
- New York City's mayor has painted a bleak and alarming portrait of the strain caused by the presence of more than 100,000 migrants his government is trying to provide for, saying there's no solution in sight. "I don't see an ending to this," Eric...
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu
Wants Immediate Deportations
Sep 3, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu Wants Immediate Deportations
Israeli prime minister calls for removing 'illegal infiltrators'
- Saying "a red line" had been crossed in a violent riot in Tel Aviv, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a move Sunday toward deporting all immigrants who aren't authorized to be in Israel. About 170 people were injured in clashes with police and fighting between supporters and opponents...
After Wall of Fire,
Greece Finds 18 Bodies
Aug 22, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
After Wall of Fire, Greece Finds 18 Bodies
They might have been migrants
- Firefighters found the bodies of 18 people while scouring the area of a major wildfire in northeastern Greece burning out of control for a fourth day Tuesday. Authorities were examining whether the group might have been migrants who entered the country through the nearby border with Turkey, per the AP...
Saudi Border Guards Accused
of Atrocities Against Migrants
Aug 21, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Saudi Border Guards Accused of Atrocities Against Migrants
Human Rights Watch says soldiers are murdering and torturing Ethiopians
- A new Human Rights Watch report makes for grim reading about the border between Saudi Arabia and Yemen. The organization accuses Saudi soldiers of raping, torturing, and killing African migrants trying to enter the oil-rich country, reports the BBC . HRW interviewed dozens of migrants from Ethiopia and examined photos and...
More Than 60 Feared Dead
in Failed Journey to Spain
Aug 18, 2023 4:41 AM CDT
More Than 60 Feared Dead in Failed Journey to Spain
Dozens of survivors found on fishing boat off Cape Verde were in a 'bad state'
- More than 60 migrants are feared dead after a Spanish fishing vessel rescued a boat off the Atlantic archipelago of Cape Verde that originally had more than 100 people aboard, authorities and migrant advocates said Thursday. Seven bodies were found on the boat and an estimated 56 people are missing...
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes
Big Find on Border Barrier
Aug 16, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes Big Find on Border Barrier
Topographical survey discovers that nearly 80% of controversial buoy barrier is in Mexico, not US
- Migrant advocates, environmentalists, and the Mexican and US governments have all pushed back at the controversial border barrier Texas has installed in the Rio Grande to prevent migrants from crossing into the United States. Despite recovering at least two bodies along the barrier since it was installed in July, and...
A Texas Mystery:
Aug 15, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
A Texas Mystery: Water Barrels for Migrants Are Disappearing
Human rights groups have long maintained them as life-saving measure in desperate heat
- As one of the worst heat waves on record rolls through much of the southern United States this summer, authorities and activists in South Texas found themselves embroiled in a mystery in the arid region near the border with Mexico. Barrels of life-saving water that a human rights group had...
On Migrant Bus From Texas
to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
Aug 12, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
On Migrant Bus From Texas to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
3-year-old dies after health issues during trip, part of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's Operation Lone Star
- A 3-year-old traveling on a bus of asylum-seekers headed from Texas to Chicago died before reaching that destination. ABC News reports that confirmation of the child's death came via a spokesperson for the Illinois Department of Public Health, who noted the agency is working with local and state law...
41 Feared Dead in
Aug 9, 2023 12:06 PM CDT
41 Feared Dead in Mediterranean Shipwreck
4 survivors were rescued Wednesday
- Forty-one people are believed dead after a boat carrying migrants capsized off Tunisia in rough seas, the Italian Red Cross and rescue groups reported, citing four survivors who were rescued and brought to land Wednesday. The survivors reported having left Sfax, Tunisia, on a metal boat with a total of...
Aug 6, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Crews Rescue Migrants After Shipwrecks
Italy reports woman, child died in attempted Mediterranean crossing
- Dozens of migrants were dramatically rescued by Italy as they foundered in the sea or clung to a rocky reef Sunday after three boats launched by smugglers from northern Africa shipwrecked in rough waters in separate incidents over the weekend. Survivors said some 30 fellow migrants were missing from capsized...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
They Crossed the Atlantic
on Ship's Rudder
Aug 2, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
They Crossed the Atlantic on Ship's Rudder
4 Nigerian men survived 14-day journey to arrive in Brazil, where 2 are now seeking asylum
- Four men spent 14 days clinging to the rudder of a ship as it carried them 3,500 miles across the Atlantic Ocean from Nigeria to Brazil. The remarkable journey began in late June, with the departure of a Liberian-flagged ship from Lagos. Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Nigeria'...
Family of Man Who Allegedly
Hit Migrants: It Was an Accident
Aug 1, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Family of Man Who Allegedly Hit Migrants: It Was an Accident
North Carolina man suspected of driving into group has turned himself in
- The North Carolina man accused of plowing into a group of migrant workers with his SUV turned himself into police Monday, the day after the incident in front of a Walmart left six men injured. Police originally said the crash was believed to have been intentional, but family members told...
More Arrested in
Horrific 'Death Trailer' Case
Jun 28, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
More Arrested in Horrific 'Death Trailer' Case
4 more arrested in deadliest migrant smuggling tragedy ever
- US authorities on Tuesday announced the arrests of four men they say were part of a human smuggling effort last year that ended in the deaths of 53 migrants, including eight children, who were left in a tractor-trailer in the scorching Texas summer. Authorities said on the anniversary of the...
750 People Aboard,
Only 104 Rescues
Jun 15, 2023 1:21 PM CDT
750 People Aboard, Only 104 Rescues
The BBC reports that up to 100 migrant children were on vessel that sank off the coast of Greece
- The full scope of the tragedy after a fishing vessel packed with migrants sank this week off the coast of Greece is not yet clear, but the current death toll of 78 looks certain to rise. The BBC reports 750 were aboard, including up to 100 children. (However, estimates on...
Yep, We Sent
Jun 7, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Florida: Yep, We Sent Those Migrants to California
Gov. Ron DeSantis, however, has yet to comment publicly on the latest migrant flights
- The two groups of migrants that arrived in California's state capital last week and this week were indeed sent there by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' administration, Florida officials confirmed Tuesday. "Through verbal and written consent, these volunteers indicated they wanted to go to California," says the Florida...
Newsom Threatens DeSantis
After 'Immoral' Migrant Move
Jun 6, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
Newsom Threatens DeSantis After 'Immoral' Migrant Move
More migrants allegedly sent by Sunshine State dropped off in Sacramento
- After 16 South American migrants were allegedly sent from Florida to California on Friday, California officials say Florida did the same thing with a group of 20 migrants Monday. In response, California Gov. Gavin Newsom appeared to threaten DeSantis, whom he called a "small, pathetic man," with kidnapping...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.