Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 9, 2023 11:10 AM CST
CEO Reportedly Was Served Coffee Laced With Cyanide
Andre de Ruyter of South Africa energy giant Eskom survives
- A strange and disturbing story out of South Africa: Multiple reports say the head of the energy giant Eskom survived an attempt to kill him via cyanide in his coffee. "I have reported the matter to SAPS [the South African Police Service] ... and the case can be assumed to...
They Found the Bald Eagles
Facedown in the Snow
Dec 12, 2022 10:10 AM CST
They Found the Bald Eagles Facedown in the Snow
3 have died, 10 more hurt after possible poisoning from eating euthanized animals in Minn. landfill
- At least 13 bald eagles were likely poisoned by scavenging the carcasses of euthanized animals that were improperly dumped at a Minnesota landfill, and three of the majestic birds have died, per the AP . The
Minneapolis Star Tribune
reports that state and federal wildlife officials are investigating after the eagles...
Poisoned Her Husband
Aug 8, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Cops: Dermatologist Poisoned Her Husband
California's Yue Yu arrested as her husband recovers
- The husband of a dermatologist in Southern California was feeling lousy for a month and started getting suspicious, say police. The end result: His 45-year-old wife has been arrested and accused of poisoning him, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The unidentified husband "sustained significant internal injuries but is expected...
Alaska Kids Were
Given Floor Sealant
Instead of Milk
Jun 16, 2022 12:49 PM CDT
Alaska Kids Were Given Floor Sealant Instead of Milk
District blames mix-up at storage site
- Police in Juneau, Alaska, are investigating an apparent mix-up that caused 12 kids and two adults to be served floor sealant instead of milk. The school district says the sealant was served with breakfast meals at a summer day care program at the Sit Eeti Shaanax Glacier Valley Elementary School,...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
Company, VP Indicted
After Texas Double Tragedy
Mar 9, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Company, VP Indicted After Texas Double Tragedy
Employee, wife died in poisonous gas leak in 2019
: A Texas oilfield company and its vice president have been indicted by a federal grand jury on multiple charges connected to the 2019 deaths of an employee and his wife. Jacob Dean died from inhaling hydrogen sulfide gas after being sent to check on a pump house in Odessa....
Champagne Spiked With
Ecstasy Proves Fatal
Feb 14, 2022 9:10 AM CST
Champagne Spiked With Ecstasy Proves Fatal
One man dies, 8 others hospitalized in Germany
- One man died and eight other people were hospitalized in serious condition after unknowingly drinking Champagne spiked with ecstasy at a bar in Bavaria, German prosecutors said Monday. The man who died was 52, and the others were between 33 and 52, police told the German news agency dpa, per...
Somebody Gave Him the
Nov 14, 2021 6:45 PM CST
Somebody Gave Him the 'Poisoner's Poison'—Twice
Oregon's Joe Gilliam, a prominent political player, is in a vegetative state
- Joe Gilliam has been a force in Oregon state politics for more than two decades as head of the influential Northwest Grocery Association. Or at least he had been until recently. For the better part of the last year, the 59-year-old has been in a vegetative state at an undisclosed...
Sep 21, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Court Pins Ex-Spy's Fatal Poisoning on Russia
Former KGB spy Alexander Litvinenko was killed in London in 2006
- The European Court of Human Rights on Tuesday blamed Russia for the killing of Alexander Litvinenko , who died in London in 2006 after drinking tea laced with a radioactive material. A former agent for the KGB and the successor agency FSB, Litvinenko defected from Russia in 2000 and fled to...
Limbs of College
Turn Blue After
Aug 24, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Limbs of College Students, Staff Turn Blue After Apparent Poisoning
Police are trying to figure out how 7 were sickened at Germany's Darmstadt Technical University
- Students and staff at a German college had a quite unpleasant dining experience this week, and now local police suspect poisoning. Cops in the state of Hesse say seven students and employees took ill Monday on the Lichtwiese campus of Darmstadt Technical University, reports the
. Police suspect that milk...
Navalny Detained as He
Arrives Back in Russia
Jan 17, 2021 2:29 PM CST
Navalny Detained as He Arrives Back in Russia
Kremlin critic had been recovering in Germany from poisoning
- Alexei Navalny, a leading Kremlin political opponent, was taken into custody Sunday just after returning to Russia from Germany, where he was recovering from a poisoning . Navalny had just told journalists in Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport: "This is the best day in the past five months. Everyone is asking...
Wife Allegedly Caught
Poisoning Husband's Coffee
Jan 17, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Wife Allegedly Caught Poisoning Husband's Coffee
The NYC woman used roach killer, officials say
- A 70-year-old New York City woman is facing charges after officials say she was recorded on video attempting to slip her husband roach poison. Per a Queens District Attorney's office release , Suncha Tinerva is seen on surveillance footage "squeezing a white powdery substance from a bottle with a...
Navalny Going Back to
Jan 13, 2021 6:45 AM CST
Navalny Going Back to Dangerous Territory
Opposition leader could face jail with Sunday arrival in Russia
- Now almost fully recovered from Novichok poisoning, Alexei Navalny is ready to head home. The Russian opposition leader and anti-corruption activist said Wednesday that he had purchased a plane ticket that would see him return to his home country from Germany, where he's been recovering since August, on Sunday....
Gaming Tycoon Is Dead
Dec 28, 2020 7:53 AM CST
Gaming Tycoon Is Dead After Poisoning
Lin Qi of Yoozoo, known for its 'Game of Thrones' title, allegedly killed by employee
- His video game company made a fortune from the
Game of Thrones
franchise, and now the Chinese billionaire has been murdered in a
-like plot. The victim is Lin Qi, 39, who died on Christmas Day after being poisoned, reports the
. Lin founded the video games company Yoozoo in...
Finished the Job'
Dec 17, 2020 11:35 AM CST
Putin Says Agents 'Would've Finished the Job' With Navalny
Russian president blames US for reports implicating FSB
- A hit squad employed by Russia's Federal Security Service shadowed Alexei Navalny on numerous trips before poisoning the opposition activist with Russian-made nerve agent Novichok in August, according to a joint investigation by CNN and Bellingcat . This week's reports, based on the agents' mobile phone data and other...
Dec 13, 2020 11:25 AM CST
Russia May Have Tried Second Poisoning
Doctor suspected of administering a second dose while Alexei Navalny was in Omsk
- When an airline pilot made an emergency landing in the Siberian city of Omsk, an ambulance crew quickly gave Alexei Navalny a poison antidote. The opponent of the Russian government had become ill on the flight. "That atropine saved his life," a British army official said. But the...
Navalny Describes What
Novichok Poisoning Feels Like
Oct 20, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Navalny Describes What Novichok Poisoning Feels Like
'The brain understands that this is the end'
- Alexei Navalny felt no pain. Still, he knew he was close to death when he collapsed on a plane in August— the result of poisoning with a previously unknown type of Novichok, the Russian-developed nerve agent. "I've compared it to being touched by a Dementor in a
Navalny Aide: This Was 'an
Attempt to Kill,' Not to Scare
Aug 28, 2020 2:08 PM CDT
Navalny Aide: This Was 'an Attempt to Kill,' Not to Scare
Doctors say the still-unconscious Russian opposition leader is slowly starting to improve
- As more pieces of the puzzle behind Alexei Navalny's sickness come together , some good news out of Germany, where he's hospitalized. The doctors treating the 44-year-old Russian opposition leader say he's still on a ventilator and in a medically induced coma in the ICU after likely being...
Tests on Navalny Called
'Jigsaw Piece in the Puzzle'
Aug 24, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Tests on Navalny Called 'Jigsaw Piece in the Puzzle'
German hospital says tests show Russian opposition leader was poisoned
- A hospital in Germany has contradicted Russian doctors who claimed there was no sign opposition leader Alexei Navalny was poisoned. Berlin's Charité hospital, which began treating the 44-year-old on Saturday , says there are signs he was poisoned, the BBC reports. In a statement, the hospital said that while the...
Germany: 'Certain Likelihood'
Navalny Was Poisoned
Aug 24, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Germany: 'Certain Likelihood' Navalny Was Poisoned
Tests in Berlin are still underway as Russian opposition leader remains unconscious
- Now that he's safely in Berlin , a seriously ill Alexei Navalny is being treated and monitored by doctors, and now the German government is saying the 44-year-old Russian opposition leader needs police protection, as it seems fairly clear what happened to put him in this state. "Because one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
US Just Made a Move to Counter China
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.