Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
I Know 'He Has Gone'
Jan 25, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Brother of Julian Sands: I Know 'He Has Gone'
Searches continue for actor, hiker Bob Gregory in California's San Gabriel Mountains
- The brother of Julian Sands is losing hope that the actor will be found alive 12 days after he was reported missing in California . "He has not yet been declared missing, presumed dead, but I know in my heart that he has gone," Nick Sands tells the UK'...
As Search for
Jan 24, 2023 2:00 AM CST
As Search for Actor Continues, Another Hiker Goes Missing
Men went missing in Mt. Baldy area
- Another hiker has gone missing on California's Mt. Baldy as the search for British actor Julian Sands continues in the same area. Jin Chung, 75, failed to return from a hike Sunday, NBC News reports. He had carpooled to the site with two others that morning; the group separated...
2 Hikers Got a NYE Lift
From Tenn. National Guard
Jan 4, 2023 8:41 AM CST
2 Hikers Got a NYE Lift From Tenn. National Guard
Tennessee National Guard had to swoop in on a Black Hawk helicopter to rescue stranded pair
- Two hikers are OK after a New Year's Eve hike on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee turned frightening. Per a release , the state's Department of Military reports that it and the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency received a call not long after 5am local time on Saturday about a...
Hiker Falls 200 Feet,
Lives to Tell the Tale
Dec 26, 2022 8:21 AM CST
Hiker Falls 200 Feet, Lives to Tell the Tale
Ruth Woroniecki, 40, of Colorado was returning from hike in California's San Gabriel Mountains
- A hike on Christmas Eve day very narrowly avoided serious tragedy for a 40-year-old woman in California's San Gabriel Mountains. As the
Los Angeles Times
reports, Ruth Woroniecki of Colorado was camping in Lytle Creek when she decided to summit the 8,800-foot Cucamonga Peak; on her return, she...
Hiker Snapping Photos Falls
to Death in New Hampshire
Dec 11, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Hiker Snapping Photos Falls to Death in New Hampshire
Authorities say man fell from atop Mt. Willard
- A hiker fell to his death from an icy summit in New Hampshire over the weekend, reports WCVB . The unidentified man made it to the top of Mt. Willard in Crawford Notch on Saturday morning and was snapping photos of the view, according to the state's Fish and Game...
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes
Horribly Wrong for Couple
Nov 25, 2022 9:48 AM CST
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes Horribly Wrong for Couple
Woman died, man was rescued in Zion National Park
- A 16-mile overnight hike in Utah's Zion National Park went horribly wrong for a woman and her husband, authorities say. The National Park Service says the couple began the permitted hike through an area of the park known as the Narrows Tuesday and faced cold weather overnight, when the...
Missing Hiker Found
Dead in New Hampshire
Nov 24, 2022 1:25 PM CST
Missing Hiker Found Dead in New Hampshire
Emily Sotelo's body was found on what would have been her 20th birthday
- The search for a missing hiker in New Hampshire's White Mountains came to a tragic end Wednesday when Emily Sotelo was found dead on what would have been her 20th birthday. The body of the Vanderbilt University student was found on the northwest side of Mount Lafayette, the New...
Hiker Shares TikTok Video
of Bison Goring Her
Oct 18, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Hiker Shares TikTok Video of Bison Goring Her
Rebecca Clark was trying to sneak past a group of them in Texas when one spotted her
- A hiker from Texas is lucky to be alive after being gored by a bison, and the clip of her attack is now going viral on TikTok. The
reports on Rebecca Clark's ordeal last week during a solo trek in Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway, where...
Injured Hiker Spotted by
Sharp-Eyed Train Passenger
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Injured Hiker Spotted by Sharp-Eyed Train Passenger
Hiker crawled to riverbank to flag down passing train, triggering helicopter rescue in Colorado
- A hiker who spent a night stranded in the Colorado wilderness with a broken leg made it out alive after managing to flag down a passing train. The female hiker in her 20s had been reported missing Sunday after failing to return from a day hike on the Colorado Trail...
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He
Went for Help, Never Returned
Sep 9, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He Went for Help, Never Returned
Body of Tim Sgrignoli, 29, found 4 days after hike with girlfriend in sweltering California mountains
- The alerts from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department began late Sunday, noting the rescue of a female hiker suffering from mild heat exhaustion in the mountains over Gaviota, California, per NBC News . The initial post in that series of tweets from Scott Safechuck reported that the "search continues...
Body of Hiker Who Went
Missing on Iconic Trail Is Found
Aug 24, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Body of Hiker Who Went Missing on Iconic Trail Is Found
Jetal Agnihotri was hiking the famous 'Narrows' in Utah's Zion National Park
The body of a 29-year-old woman who didn't return from a hike in Utah's Zion National Park has been found. Jetal Agnihotri of Tucson, Arizona, was hiking in the Narrows on Friday when flash floods swept through the area. CNN reports her body was recovered Monday in...
Melting Glacier Splits,
Killing Hikers in Alps
Jul 3, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Melting Glacier Splits, Killing Hikers in Alps
At least 6 people died in the avalanche, and more are injured or missing
- A large chunk of an Alpine glacier broke loose Sunday afternoon and roared down a mountainside in Italy, sending ice, snow, and rock slamming into hikers on a popular trail on the peak and killing at least six people and injuring eight, authorities said. There could be about 10 people...
Man Hiking at High Elevation
in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
Jun 29, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Man Hiking at High Elevation in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
It was thought to be a grizzly
- A hiker appears to have survived being mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Wyoming. The "experienced out-of-state recreationalist" was hiking high up on the 13,000-foot Francs Peak Monday when he met a bear, thought to be a grizzly. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department on Tuesday characterized...
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge,
He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Jun 7, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge, He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Paul Classen of the Netherlands dies after falling 50 feet near Virginia's McAfee Knob
- A Dutch hiker attempting to conquer a portion of the Appalachian Trail has died after falling from a cliff in Virginia. Paul "Grandmaster" Classen, 23, who was known to carry a chess set with him, fell 50 feet from a cliff just north of the iconic 3,200-foot-tall McAfee...
Grand Canyon Adventure
Turns Tragic for Canadian
Jun 4, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Adventure Turns Tragic for Canadian
Ottawa's Melanie Goodine, 41, dies after trying to make it back up to rim after hike to Colorado River
- A Canadian hiker exploring the Grand Canyon didn't make it out alive this week. Officials tell CBS 5 that 41-year-old Melanie Goodine of Ottawa has died after trying to do a tough hike to the Colorado River and back. Per a National Park Service release , the Grand Canyon Regional...
Hikers, Brace Yourselves
for a New Poop Protocol
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Hikers, Brace Yourselves for a New Poop Protocol
Sentiment is growing that it's time to start packing it out instead of burying it
- For a long time, the standard protocol for hikers and campers who had to poop in the woods was to bury it in what's known as a "cat hole," writes Krista Langlois at Outside . But with more people than ever on the trails, a new sentiment is...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
Sheriff to Hiker
Who Called 911
Twice: Don't Try
This Hike Again
Mar 8, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Sheriff to Hiker Who Called 911 Twice: Don't Try This Hike Again
Man was helicoptered from Arizona's Humphreys Peak on 2nd attempt to reach summit
- A New York man bit off more than he could chew hiking in Arizona last week, prompting two 911 calls in two days. The 28-year-old Brooklyn resident first called 911 before 7pm on Wednesday, saying he'd lost his way while hiking the Humphreys Trail, a nearly 11-mile out and...
Final Text Revealed From
Family Who Died on Trail
Feb 19, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Final Text Revealed From Family Who Died on Trail
From Jonathan Gerrish's phone: 'can you help us. ... No water or ver [over] heating with baby'
More is now known about the final hours of a California family who perished on a hike near Yosemite over the summer, thanks to dad Jonathan Gerrish's cellphone, reports CNN . Per the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office , some of the last things that Gerrish, wife Ellen Chung, and...
California Family's Desperate
Final Text: 'Can You Help Us'
Feb 18, 2022 12:40 AM CST
California Family's Desperate Final Text: 'Can You Help Us'
Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung tried to reach out for help, but had no cell service
- A family that died of heat exhaustion during a grueling summer hike in Northern California sent a last, desperate text pleading for help, authorities said Thursday. The Mariposa County Sheriff's Office released information pulled from the cellphone of Jonathan Gerrish after months of work with an FBI forensics team,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.