Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'3 Miracles' Saved
This Texas Hiker
Nov 15, 2023 9:45 AM CST
'3 Miracles' Saved This Texas Hiker
Jeff Hahn tells 'Texas Highways' of survival amid intense, often deadly heat
- A Texas man who spent 27 hours lost in the desert says he survived thanks to rescuers and "three miracles" that occurred before he met them. As Jeff Hahn tells
, he was hiking with his adult daughter at Big Bend Ranch State Park in...
Rescuers Spot 'Unusual' Rock:
It Was Their Lost Hiker
Nov 13, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Rescuers Spot 'Unusual' Rock: It Was Their Lost Hiker
Colorado rescue team saves a very cold adventurer on mountain
- A hiker clad in a cotton hoodie ended up in serious trouble last week when a snowstorm swept over Colorado's Mount Princeton. However, all ended well when members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue who were tracking footprints in the snow came across "an unusual looking rock at...
Alaskan Hiker Rescued
Thanks to Wildlife Cam
Sep 12, 2023 2:56 PM CDT
Alaskan Hiker Rescued Thanks to Wildlife Cam
Observers alerted rangers in Katmai National Park to hiker asking for help
- A hiker in remote Alaska used his wits to summon help in rough weather. As NPR reports, the unidentified man showed up on the live-stream of a wildlife camera on Dumpling Mountain in Katmai National Park. He approached the camera twice, once to mouth the words "help me" and...
Sep 3, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Missing Hiker Found Dead in Montana
Adam Fuselier, 32, had been missing in Glacier National Park since Tuesday
- A Colorado man who was last seen Tuesday in Glacier National Park in Montana has been found dead, reports KPAX . Adam Fuselier, 32, was hiking Reynolds Mountain, says the GNP in a news release . Park rangers were alerted Wednesday morning that Fuselier was overdue to return from his hike, and...
After 8 Days, Missing Pair
Found Near Alaska Resort
Aug 19, 2023 9:48 AM CDT
After 8 Days, Missing Pair Found Near Alaska Resort
Visitors from Tennessee had last been seen hiking in area on Aug. 10
- Two people from Tennessee who had been missing for more than a week were found alive Friday near the resort where they were last seen. Alaska State Troopers say 50-year-old Jonas Bare was found by hikers 200 yards from the Chena Hot Springs Resort, around 60 miles northeast of Fairbanks,...
'Horrendous News' in
Search for Scottish Hikers
Aug 7, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
'Horrendous News' in Search for Scottish Hikers
3 found dead after setting out to hike notorious ridge
- The bodies of three missing hikers were recovered from a mountain in the Scottish Highlands after they didn't return from a notoriously difficult scramble on one of the narrowest ridge crests in Britain, police said Monday. The trio set out Saturday in Glen Coe to hike the Aonach Eagach,...
Mountain Biker Who Helped
Rescue Hikers Dies
Jul 17, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Mountain Biker Who Helped Rescue Hikers Dies
Cyclists had guided Cal Fire rescue helicopter in desert
- A group of four mountain bikers came across four hikers in the San Diego County desert on Saturday who had no food or water in the 103-degree heat. The bikers spent hours helping the four, who appeared to be suffering from heat exhaustion, and facilitating their rescue, the
Woman Dies Trying to
Help Girl Who Slipped
Over Waterfall's Edge
Jun 12, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Woman Dies Trying to Help Girl Who Slipped Over Waterfall's Edge
Both went over the side, but girl is expected to survive
- A woman who was hiking with four teenagers at a popular southern California trail died when trying to help one of the teens last week. Sarah Louise Crocker, 48, was with "family and family friends" at the Three Sisters Falls in the Cleveland National Forest in San Diego County...
Grand Canyon Visitor Dies
Attempting Ambitious Day Hike
May 25, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Visitor Dies Attempting Ambitious Day Hike
Indiana woman was found without a pulse along Bright Angel Trail
- A Grand Canyon hiker was found without a pulse after trying to make it the Colorado River and back in a day. Officials received a report of an "unresponsive hiker" on the Bright Angel Trail, one of the most popular trails through the canyon, at 9pm on May 14,...
Teen Hikers Rescued
Thanks to Helpful iPhone
May 17, 2023 2:37 PM CDT
Teen Hikers Rescued Thanks to Helpful iPhone
10 teens found themselves lost in the dark
- Darkness fell and still the teen hikers did not appear. It was enough to worry guardians of the group of 10, aged 16 to 18, who soon alerted California's Ventura County Sheriff's Office. But as CBS News reports, it was Apple's Emergency SOS feature that ultimately led...
Connecticut Woman Vanishes
While Hiking in Japan
May 2, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Connecticut Woman Vanishes While Hiking in Japan
Patricia Wu-Murad hasn't been seen since April 10
- A 60-year-old Connecticut woman vanished on a hiking trail in Japan last month, and her family has traveled there to organize a remarkable search effort. But hope is fading because Patricia Wu-Murad has not been seen since April 10. "We're trying to hold out for a miracle but...
by Safety Fence
—a Fatal Mistake
Mar 7, 2023 1:06 PM CST
Hiker Slipped by Safety Fence —a Fatal Mistake
Oregon's Cape Kiwanda sees another death
- The "deadliest spot on the Oregon Coast" has claimed another victim. A 25-year-old California man fell from a rocky bluff at Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area on Saturday and was pronounced dead a day later, reports the
Salem Statesman Journal
. State police said Henry Minh Hoang had hiked beyond...
Boy Scout Troop's
Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mar 6, 2023 6:25 AM CST
Boy Scout Troop's Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mom of one of the Scouts is killed by falling tree in California's Rancho San Antonio County Park
- A Boy Scout troop's hike turned tragic over the weekend after a falling tree killed the mom of one of its members. Per NBC Bay Area and KPIX , the group from Sunnyvale was trekking through Rancho San Antonio County Park in Cupertino at around 10am on Sunday, in a...
2 Teens Huddled 3 Nights
Out in California Snowstorm
Mar 5, 2023 8:25 AM CST
2 Teens Huddled 3 Nights Out in California Snowstorm
Rescuers got hikers out safely, and maybe just in time
- When his 17-year-old son and friend headed off for a 10-day trek in the Southern California mountains, Cesar Ramirez said he wasn’t too worried. The teens were avid hikers with ample foods in their backpacks, a tent and snowshoes, plus extensive training and aspirations to join the military. But...
Feb 23, 2023 8:21 AM CST
Lost Hiker's Signal Fires Prove Costly
Philip Powers III faulted for 'reckless' actions that may have ultimately saved his life
- Three signal fires set by a lost hiker who'd run out of food and water in Arizona helped ensure his rescue—and possibly his ruin. Philip Powers III has been ordered to pay nearly $300,000 for the emergency fires, one of which erupted into a 230-acre forest fire,...
I Know 'He Has Gone'
Jan 25, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Brother of Julian Sands: I Know 'He Has Gone'
Searches continue for actor, hiker Bob Gregory in California's San Gabriel Mountains
- The brother of Julian Sands is losing hope that the actor will be found alive 12 days after he was reported missing in California . "He has not yet been declared missing, presumed dead, but I know in my heart that he has gone," Nick Sands tells the UK'...
As Search for
Jan 24, 2023 2:00 AM CST
As Search for Actor Continues, Another Hiker Goes Missing
Men went missing in Mt. Baldy area
- Another hiker has gone missing on California's Mt. Baldy as the search for British actor Julian Sands continues in the same area. Jin Chung, 75, failed to return from a hike Sunday, NBC News reports. He had carpooled to the site with two others that morning; the group separated...
2 Hikers Got a NYE Lift
From Tenn. National Guard
Jan 4, 2023 8:41 AM CST
2 Hikers Got a NYE Lift From Tenn. National Guard
Tennessee National Guard had to swoop in on a Black Hawk helicopter to rescue stranded pair
- Two hikers are OK after a New Year's Eve hike on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee turned frightening. Per a release , the state's Department of Military reports that it and the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency received a call not long after 5am local time on Saturday about a...
Hiker Falls 200 Feet,
Lives to Tell the Tale
Dec 26, 2022 8:21 AM CST
Hiker Falls 200 Feet, Lives to Tell the Tale
Ruth Woroniecki, 40, of Colorado was returning from hike in California's San Gabriel Mountains
- A hike on Christmas Eve day very narrowly avoided serious tragedy for a 40-year-old woman in California's San Gabriel Mountains. As the
Los Angeles Times
reports, Ruth Woroniecki of Colorado was camping in Lytle Creek when she decided to summit the 8,800-foot Cucamonga Peak; on her return, she...
Hiker Snapping Photos Falls
to Death in New Hampshire
Dec 11, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Hiker Snapping Photos Falls to Death in New Hampshire
Authorities say man fell from atop Mt. Willard
- A hiker fell to his death from an icy summit in New Hampshire over the weekend, reports WCVB . The unidentified man made it to the top of Mt. Willard in Crawford Notch on Saturday morning and was snapping photos of the view, according to the state's Fish and Game...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.