Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He
Went for Help, Never Returned
Sep 9, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
Heat Exhaustion Got to Her. He Went for Help, Never Returned
Body of Tim Sgrignoli, 29, found 4 days after hike with girlfriend in sweltering California mountains
- The alerts from the Santa Barbara County Fire Department began late Sunday, noting the rescue of a female hiker suffering from mild heat exhaustion in the mountains over Gaviota, California, per NBC News . The initial post in that series of tweets from Scott Safechuck reported that the "search continues...
Body of Hiker Who Went
Missing on Iconic Trail Is Found
Aug 24, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Body of Hiker Who Went Missing on Iconic Trail Is Found
Jetal Agnihotri was hiking the famous 'Narrows' in Utah's Zion National Park
The body of a 29-year-old woman who didn't return from a hike in Utah's Zion National Park has been found. Jetal Agnihotri of Tucson, Arizona, was hiking in the Narrows on Friday when flash floods swept through the area. CNN reports her body was recovered Monday in...
Melting Glacier Splits,
Killing Hikers in Alps
Jul 3, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Melting Glacier Splits, Killing Hikers in Alps
At least 6 people died in the avalanche, and more are injured or missing
- A large chunk of an Alpine glacier broke loose Sunday afternoon and roared down a mountainside in Italy, sending ice, snow, and rock slamming into hikers on a popular trail on the peak and killing at least six people and injuring eight, authorities said. There could be about 10 people...
Man Hiking at High Elevation
in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
Jun 29, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Man Hiking at High Elevation in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
It was thought to be a grizzly
- A hiker appears to have survived being mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Wyoming. The "experienced out-of-state recreationalist" was hiking high up on the 13,000-foot Francs Peak Monday when he met a bear, thought to be a grizzly. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department on Tuesday characterized...
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge,
He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Jun 7, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge, He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Paul Classen of the Netherlands dies after falling 50 feet near Virginia's McAfee Knob
- A Dutch hiker attempting to conquer a portion of the Appalachian Trail has died after falling from a cliff in Virginia. Paul "Grandmaster" Classen, 23, who was known to carry a chess set with him, fell 50 feet from a cliff just north of the iconic 3,200-foot-tall McAfee...
Grand Canyon Adventure
Turns Tragic for Canadian
Jun 4, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Grand Canyon Adventure Turns Tragic for Canadian
Ottawa's Melanie Goodine, 41, dies after trying to make it back up to rim after hike to Colorado River
- A Canadian hiker exploring the Grand Canyon didn't make it out alive this week. Officials tell CBS 5 that 41-year-old Melanie Goodine of Ottawa has died after trying to do a tough hike to the Colorado River and back. Per a National Park Service release , the Grand Canyon Regional...
Hikers, Brace Yourselves
for a New Poop Protocol
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Hikers, Brace Yourselves for a New Poop Protocol
Sentiment is growing that it's time to start packing it out instead of burying it
- For a long time, the standard protocol for hikers and campers who had to poop in the woods was to bury it in what's known as a "cat hole," writes Krista Langlois at Outside . But with more people than ever on the trails, a new sentiment is...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
Sheriff to Hiker
Who Called 911
Twice: Don't Try
This Hike Again
Mar 8, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Sheriff to Hiker Who Called 911 Twice: Don't Try This Hike Again
Man was helicoptered from Arizona's Humphreys Peak on 2nd attempt to reach summit
- A New York man bit off more than he could chew hiking in Arizona last week, prompting two 911 calls in two days. The 28-year-old Brooklyn resident first called 911 before 7pm on Wednesday, saying he'd lost his way while hiking the Humphreys Trail, a nearly 11-mile out and...
Final Text Revealed From
Family Who Died on Trail
Feb 19, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Final Text Revealed From Family Who Died on Trail
From Jonathan Gerrish's phone: 'can you help us. ... No water or ver [over] heating with baby'
More is now known about the final hours of a California family who perished on a hike near Yosemite over the summer, thanks to dad Jonathan Gerrish's cellphone, reports CNN . Per the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office , some of the last things that Gerrish, wife Ellen Chung, and...
California Family's Desperate
Final Text: 'Can You Help Us'
Feb 18, 2022 12:40 AM CST
California Family's Desperate Final Text: 'Can You Help Us'
Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung tried to reach out for help, but had no cell service
- A family that died of heat exhaustion during a grueling summer hike in Northern California sent a last, desperate text pleading for help, authorities said Thursday. The Mariposa County Sheriff's Office released information pulled from the cellphone of Jonathan Gerrish after months of work with an FBI forensics team,...
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker
Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Jan 27, 2022 9:51 AM CST
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Richard Jacobson, 21, fell 700 feet while trying to take midnight photo at Flatiron Peak near Phoenix
- A 21-year-old man died this week when he tried to snap a selfie from a mountain peak in Arizona and fell 700 feet. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call just before 1am Monday from a friend of the man, who'd been camping overnight in the area...
Man's 'Unusual Decision'
in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
Jan 18, 2022 7:51 AM CST
Man's 'Unusual Decision' in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
NC hiker who decided to go camping during severe winter weather is saved by team in snowshoes
- As states in the South braced for severe winter weather over the weekend, one North Carolina man made what the
News & Observer
is charitably calling an "unusual decision": He packed up his camping gear and headed into Pisgah National Forest. Perhaps not surprisingly, the adventurous hiker ended up...
Clever SOS Helps
Save Missing Campers
Jan 4, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Clever SOS Helps Save Missing Campers
The 19-year-olds failed to return home as expected on Dec. 29
- Two young men went missing during a camping trip in Oregon. That the story didn't end badly is thanks in part to the SOS they fashioned in the snow. Per a Coast Guard press release , the 19-year-olds headed for the Swastika Mountain area about 32 miles east southeast of...
Your Kid Finished the
Be Quiet, Maybe
Nov 12, 2021 1:49 PM CST
Your Kid Finished the Appalachian Trail? Be Quiet, Maybe
In 'Outside' essay, Krista Langlois explains why she doesn't like stories of young record-breakers
- We've all seen the occasional headlines about kids who set mountain-climbing records or hike the entire Appalachian Trail , but Krista Langlois doesn't want to hear about such feats anymore. In her latest piece for
, she explains it's not that she's unimpressed by the youngsters' abilities,...
Missing Woman Found
Dead in Wrecked Vehicle
Oct 31, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Missing Woman Found Dead in Wrecked Vehicle
Courtney Bryan vanished and now we know why
- A wrecked car and the body inside have solved a Nevada missing persons case that's been plaguing a family for a month. Per NBC News , the remains of 32-year-old Courtney Bryan and her dog, Booch, were discovered in a crash site off a steep embankment off Highway 101 in...
Lost Hiker Did Not Pick Up
Calls From Unknown Number
in case you missed it
Oct 30, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Lost Hiker Did Not Pick Up Calls From Unknown Number
Person spent 24 hours on Colorado's Mount Elbert as a result
- A lost hiker who spent 24 hours on Colorado's highest mountain ignored repeated phone calls from a search and rescue crew because they came from an unknown number. The unidentified hiker had set out on the 14,440-foot-tall peak on the morning of Oct. 18 but did not return...
Group Uses Turbans to
Save Stranded Hikers
Oct 20, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
Group Uses Turbans to Save Stranded Hikers
Canadian men praised for 'ingenious' rescue
- Search and rescue authorities in Canada are praising some quick-thinking Sikh men who rescued two men stranded on a rock next to a fast-moving river above a waterfall. The five men tied their turbans and other items of clothing together to make a 33-foot rope and pull the men to...
Lightning Didn't Kill Family
Who Mysteriously Died on Hike
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 3, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Lightning Didn't Kill Family Who Mysteriously Died on Hike
No clear answer for the loss of Ellen Chung, Jonathan Gerrish, daughter, and dog
- A family that died on a hike in California's Sierra National Forest in August did not die by lightning strike , by any weapon, illegal drugs or alcohol, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, cyanide exposure, or by suicide, investigators publicly concluded Thursday. But what did kill Ellen Chung, 31; Jonathan Gerrish,...
His Wild Appalachian Trail
Goal Wasn't Attainable
in case you missed it
Sep 11, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
His Wild Appalachian Trail Goal Wasn't Attainable
Scott Jurek's second fastest-known-time attempt lasted only 8 days
- In 2015, ultra-marathoner Scott Jurek set a fastest-known-time record by tearing through the full 2,189-mile Appalachian Trail in 46 days, eight hours. At the time, Newser covered the fine he had to pay due to the fact that he celebrated with champagne . That record stood for just a year,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.