Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Famous Cat
Nov 29, 2023 1:41 PM CST
A Famous Cat Population Faces a Crackdown
NPS wants some 200 strays removed from historic site in Puerto Rico
- Hundreds of stray cats that roam a historic seaside tourist area of Puerto Rico's capital, where they're considered both a delight and a nuisance, will be removed over the coming year under a plan unveiled Tuesday by the National Park Service. The NPS says it will contract an...
The Scottish Wildcat Is
Now ... Basically Just a Cat
Nov 12, 2023 6:02 AM CST
The Scottish Wildcat Is Now ... Basically Just a Cat
Over the last 7 decades, it has mated with domestic cats to the point of pushing it to extinction
- For millennia, the Scottish wildcat prowled Great Britain, stalking prey and ignoring humans and its domesticated cousins alike. But as a study in
reports, that all changed in the 1950s and '60s, when disease killed off much of the rabbit population the wildcats depended on for food...
For This Dog-Loving Scientist,
'Enlightening' Research on Cats
Nov 11, 2023 5:30 AM CST
For This Dog-Loving Scientist, 'Enlightening' Research on Cats
Your favorite felines can make nearly 300 facial expressions, debunking their 'aloof' reputation
- A psychology professor who also happens to love dogs had always thought of cats as being somewhat "aloof," and so when she embarked on a nearly yearlong study of felines to figure out how they communicate, she didn't expect her findings to reveal anything much different about...
1K Cats Bound
to Become Dinner
Oct 25, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
Activists Save 1K Cats Bound to Become Dinner
Traders planned to pass off their meat as lamb, pork: report
- A truck carrying 1,000 cats was headed for a slaughterhouse when officers made a crucial stop, according to Chinese police. Tipped off by animal rights activists, officers in the port city of Zhangjiagang found the truck was transporting the captured felines to their deaths so their meat could be...
the Cat Form
of Vocal Fry
Oct 14, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Purring Is the Cat Form of Vocal Fry
New research found how such small animals can produce sounds at a low register
- We all know what a cat's communicating when it lets out a pleased purr, but now researchers have solved the puzzle of how our feline friends are able to produce that distinct sound. The
reports that the low register in a cat's deep purring is more common...
Australia Goes After
'Ruthless Killers': Feral Cats
Sep 16, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Australia Goes After 'Ruthless Killers': Feral Cats
They're blamed for killing billions of animals a year
- "They are walking, stalking, ruthless killers." That's how Australia's minister for the Environment and Water characterizes cats—feral ones specifically, not pets kept indoors—and she's laid out a series of ideas to majorly tamp down their numbers. The animals are blamed for wreaking havoc...
A Stolen Vehicle Crashed Into
a Cop Car. Inside, a Surprise
Aug 18, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
A Stolen Vehicle Crashed Into a Cop Car. Inside, a Surprise
The owner, a juvenile, fled the crash site and was later arrested; suspect never mentioned the cat
- Connecticut police who found a kitten in a stolen car say they've located the animal's owner: a juvenile suspect who fled and was arrested after the car crashed. The Meriden Police Department said on its Facebook page Thursday that the gray-and-white male cat, believed to be about 7...
Human COVID Pills Could
Help Save Cyprus' Cats
Aug 10, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Human COVID Pills Could Help Save Cyprus' Cats
Thousands of felines have died since the start of the year
- Cyprus will make 80,000 anti-COVID pills that were intended for people available to veterinarians to treat the island's cats. The
reports a highly virulent strain of feline coronavirus—which can't be transmitted to humans—was detected in January in the island's capital of Nicosia. FCov-2023...
Want a Cat to
Come to You?
May 13, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Want a Cat to Come to You? Do These 2 Things
Researchers find cats come up to strangers more quickly when both visual, verbal cues are used
- A group of researchers out of France took a deep dive into "the nuances of cat-human conversation," with some expected findings and some a little more surprising. For their study published last week in the journal
, a research team out of Paris Nanterre University led by Charlotte...
Contest Called Off
Apr 20, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kids' Cat-Hunting Contest Called Off
New Zealand event canceled after outcry
- A feral cat-hunting competition for children has been canceled after it was not received as well as organizers might have hoped. As the BBC explains, in New Zealand, feral cats "are considered a pest and a risk to the country's biosecurity," and an annual hunt is held...
Exotic Cat on
Shredded Us Apart'
Mar 9, 2023 4:20 PM CST
Exotic Cat on Cocaine 'Could've Shredded Us Apart'
Cincinnati Zoo now in possession of Amiry the serval, better known as 'cocaine cat'
- It's a good thing Cincinnati Zoo employees had yet to see
when they took in an exotic feline who'd gotten into the drug. Animal control officials were called to retrieve the African serval, a medium-sized cat, from a tree after he escaped from his owner's...
Man Who Fell
Mar 1, 2023 3:17 PM CST
Cat Leads Rescuers to Man Who Fell Down Waterfall
The man's wife heard the cat making noises
- Move over, Lassie. A California cat is being hailed for leading rescuers to a man who fell down a waterfall last month. CBS News reports that on the evening of Feb. 21, a woman in Pleasants Valley became aware that her husband was missing. She enlisted a neighbor to help...
Alex Jones: DOJ Is
Out for My $2K Cat
Feb 24, 2023 9:45 AM CST
Alex Jones: DOJ Is Out for My $2K Cat
It's not clear that the government wants Mushu, though it is after assets Jones may have hidden
- Alex Jones claims the Justice Department is after his cat. In a video shared by his wife on Twitter, the Infowars host is shown cradling a Ragdoll cat named Mushu while telling viewers that the DOJ believes he used the animal to hide cash owed to the families of the...
NY Couple Dies,
Leaving SPCA Its
Biggest Case Ever
Feb 3, 2023 8:57 AM CST
NY Couple Dies, Leaving SPCA Its Biggest Case Ever
SPCA Westchester calling for donations to assist the 150 sick and injured felines
- A man and woman found dead in a New York home were removed this week, followed by 100 of their 150 cats. Police who were called to perform a welfare check at the Yorktown Heights residence just before 10pm Monday found the couple's bodies but were initially unable to...
PetSmart Is Looking
for Chief Toy Testers
Jan 18, 2023 1:50 PM CST
PetSmart Is Looking for Chief Toy Testers
PetSmart says newly created role for one dog, one cat pays $10K a year each
- Bored housecats or TSA dogs considering a career change might be intrigued by an opportunity that has opened up at PetSmart. The company says it is hiring one dog and one cat to be Chief Toy Testers, a new position that includes compensation of $10,000 each for a one-year...
$15K for Your
Is It Worth It?
Dec 3, 2022 7:45 AM CST
$15K for Your Cat's Kidney Transplant: Is It Worth It?
Sarah Zhang explores the question in the 'Atlantic'
- It's a provocative question: "How much would you pay to save your cat's life?" It's also the headline of Sarah Zhang's piece in the
about people willing to pay $15,000 to get their ailing cat a kidney transplant. That's the going price...
Cat Travels 7K Miles to Reunite
With Ukrainian Girl in US
Oct 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cat Travels 7K Miles to Reunite With Ukrainian Girl in US
Arsenii was transported by motorcycle, car, and plane to get back to Agnessa, 10, now in Calif.
- When Maria Bezhenar and her family fled Odesa, Ukraine, in February as Russian forces invaded their homeland, they were forced to leave behind some "precious belongings," per KHON2 . Among those items: their family pets, including their cat, Arsenii. The family of six—Bezhenar, her mother, her husband Aleksander,...
Oct 25, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Here's Proof Your Cat Is Listening to You
Study finds that felines recognize and respond to their owner's voice
- A new study should make cat owners happy—it suggests felines do indeed listen to their humans. The research published in
found that cats can distinguish their owner's voice from that of a stranger, one of the first studies to do so, reports
Cat Who Vanished
9 Years Ago
Turns Up 1K Miles
Oct 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cat Who Vanished 9 Years Ago Turns Up 1K Miles From Home
Calif. owner has no idea how Harriet ended up in Idaho
- A cat who disappeared from her California home nine years ago has been found, but no one has a clue what she's been doing for nearly a decade, nor how she ended up wandering the streets of a small Idaho city more than 1,000 miles away. The
Here We Go
the 'Furries in
Oct 5, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Here We Go Again With the 'Furries in Schools' Rumors
Heidi Ganahl, GOP candidate for governor in Colo., is spreading the largely debunked claim
- Heidi Ganahl really doesn't like furries, explained by KRDO as a "subculture that often involves people dressing up as anthropomorphic animal characters and attending conventions." So much so that the GOP candidate for governor in Colorado says she moved her kids out of one district and into...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.