Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
That Sugary Frosting
Was Cocaine: Customs
Feb 20, 2021 4:15 PM CST
That Sugary Frosting Was Cocaine: Customs
Agents seize shipment of corn flakes worth nearly $3M
- It's not often that anyone talks about the street value of corn flakes. But Customs and Border Patrol officers said they intercepted a shipment of cereal last week whose secret ingredient was cocaine. The 44 pounds of corn flakes had a street value of just under $3 million, Cincinnati....
5 Kinds of Drugs Found in
San Diego Smuggling Tunnel
Apr 1, 2020 8:04 AM CDT
5 Kinds of Drugs Found in San Diego Smuggling Tunnel
Tunnel from Tijuana had its own rail system
- Authorities in San Diego have found another cross-border smuggling tunnel long enough to rival the only subway portion of the city's transit system—along with a lot more drugs than usual. Federal agents say they found drugs worth almost $30 million in the 2,000-foot tunnel, which connected warehouses...
Authorities Stunned by
Border Smuggling Tunnel
Jan 30, 2020 6:50 AM CST
Authorities Stunned by Border Smuggling Tunnel
It is the longest ever found
- US authorities on Wednesday announced the discovery of the longest smuggling tunnel ever found on the Southwest border, stretching more than three-quarters of a mile from an industrial site in Tijuana, Mexico, to the San Diego area. The tunnel featured an extensive rail cart system, forced air ventilation, high voltage...
Ex-Inmate Had Marijuana
Up His Nose for 18 Years
Nov 1, 2019 2:45 AM CDT
Ex-Inmate Had Marijuana Up His Nose for 18 Years
He thought he had ingested pot wrapped in balloon
- A prison inmate in Australia shoved a balloon containing marijuana up his nose, was unable to retrieve it, and then failed to make a connection between the lost pot and the sinus issues he suffered for the next 18 years, doctors say. In a case reported in the
The Cocaine Saved Them.
Then It Got Them Busted
Oct 3, 2019 11:24 AM CDT
The Cocaine Saved Them. Then It Got Them Busted
Suspected drug smugglers found clinging to bales in Pacific after boat overturns
- They can thank their drug bundles for both saving their lives and possibly ruining them. ABC Australia reports that three men from Colombia were plucked out of the Pacific over the weekend after spending hours in shark-filled waters. The alleged drug-runners, who were said by authorities to have departed from...
Feds Find 4 Tons of Pot
in Shipment of Jalapeños
Aug 19, 2019 6:25 AM CDT
Feds Find 4 Tons of Pot in Shipment of Jalapeños
California's black market is still thriving
- An attempt to smuggle marijuana mixed in with jalapeño peppers didn't fool a K-9 unit at the Otay Mesa cargo facility in San Diego, authorities say. The pooches found pallets of pot and peppers Thursday in a tractor-trailer driven by a 37-year-old Mexican citizen, Customs and Border Protection...
Is That Your Real Hair, or
Are You Smuggling Drugs
Under a Bad Toupee?
Jul 17, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Is That Your Real Hair, or Are You Smuggling Drugs Under a Bad Toupee?
$33K worth of cocaine was quickly spotted on nervous guy arriving in Spain
- A nervous-looking man flew from Colombia to Spain with what authorities there describe as an "oversized" toupee beneath his hat. Beneath that hairpiece was roughly a pound of cocaine bundled up and stuck to his head, according to police in Barcelona, who shared before and after images of the...
In Wild Video, Coast Guard
Member Leaps Onto Drug Sub
Jul 12, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
In Wild Video, Coast Guard Member Leaps Onto Drug Sub
'This is as satisfying as it gets'
- Stunning video shows just how far the US Coast Guard will go to stop suspected drug smugglers. The minute-long video released Thursday shows a member of the US Coast Guard Cutter Munro jumping onto a semi-submersible vessel carrying 17,000 pounds of cocaine worth $232 million in the East Pacific...
Trail of Cocaine-Laden Ship
Leads to JPMorgan Chase
Jul 11, 2019 4:04 PM CDT
Trail of Cocaine-Laden Ship Leads to JPMorgan Chase
Bank fund owns the MSC Gayane, but doesn't have operational control
- The cargo ship seized in the Port of Philadelphia last month with nearly 20 tons of cocaine aboard isn't owned by a ruthless criminal gang hiding out somewhere, or by organized crime bosses pulling the strings from their prison cells. It's owned, more or less, by JPMorgan Chase....
He Was to Fly With Brazil's Prez
—Then Came Luggage Search
Jun 27, 2019 12:36 PM CDT
He Was to Fly With Brazil's Prez —Then Came Luggage Search
Airman accused of smuggling cocaine into Spain ahead of G20
- A promise to curtail drugs and crime helped Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro get elected last year—hence why NPR reports the arrest of a member of his G20 party is so embarrassing. Brazilian Air Force Sgt. Manoel Silva Rodrigues—serving as flight steward on a military plane en route to...
Ship's Cargo Was $1B
in Cocaine, Feds Say
Jun 19, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Ship's Cargo Was $1B in Cocaine, Feds Say
Officials call it one of the biggest busts in US history
- Federal authorities have made what they called one of the largest cocaine busts in US history: 16 tons of the drug, worth more than $1 billion. The haul was seized Tuesday from a cargo ship, the MSC Gayane, at the Port of Philadelphia, the
reported. "This amount of...
Biggest Drug Bust
in 25 Years Made
at NYC-Area Port
Mar 12, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
Biggest Drug Bust in 25 Years Made at NYC-Area Port
'Dried fruit' shipment held $77M in cocaine
- Customs agents have seized the biggest shipment of cocaine recovered at the ports of New York and New Jersey in 25 years. US Customs and Border Protection says 3,200 pounds of the drug in 60 packages were seized at Port New York/Newark on Feb. 28, the AP reports. The...
Woman Finds Out High Heels
Are Bad Drug-Smuggling Aid
Sep 6, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Woman Finds Out High Heels Are Bad Drug-Smuggling Aid
Missouri's Denise Woodrum is headed to an Australian jail
- A Missouri woman was sentenced Thursday to 7.5 years in jail in Australia, where she'd traveled with various cocaine-stuffed items, including a pair of high heels. Denise Woodrum, 51, pleaded guilty in January to the illegal import stemming from her arrival at Sydney Airport last August with 756...
Officials: Man Paid
$390K for Old KFC,
Used It in 'Conspiracy'
Aug 24, 2018 3:53 AM CDT
Officials: Man Paid $390K for Old KFC, Used It in 'Conspiracy'
Drug tunnel discovered under it
- A 600-foot tunnel was discovered leading from under a bed in Mexico to the kitchen of a former KFC restaurant in Arizona—and authorities do not believe a fast food aficionado was responsible. Authorities say the cross-border tunnel was used to smuggle drugs including methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, and fentanyl, the...
Veterinarian Allegedly Turned
Puppies Into Drug Mules
May 1, 2018 5:53 PM CDT
Veterinarian Allegedly Turned Puppies Into Drug Mules
He pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges stemming from 2005
- A veterinarian pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to US charges that he implanted liquid heroin in puppies to turn them into drug mules for a Colombian trafficking ring, the AP reports. Andres Lopez Elorza appeared in federal court in Brooklyn after being extradited from Spain, where he was arrested in...
She Documented Her
Exotic Trip on Instagram,
Now Heads to Prison
Apr 18, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
She Documented Her Exotic Trip on Instagram, Now Heads to Prison
Mélina Roberge sentenced to 8 years for drug trafficking
- "She wanted to be the envy of others," said an Australian judge of Mélina Roberge. There's little to envy now: The 24-year-old was on Wednesday sentenced to eight years for drug trafficking, in a case that involved $20 million of cocaine, an exotic cruise, and social...
'Terror on the High Seas': the
Coast Guard's Floating Prisons
Nov 28, 2017 8:37 AM CST
'Terror on the High Seas': the Coast Guard's Floating Prisons
Fishermen carrying drugs from South America detained on US vessels for days or weeks
- Seth Freed Wessler wrote a story last week for the
New York Times
that he describes to PRI as one of "real terror … on the high seas": what amounts to "floating Guantanamos" in the Pacific, Coast Guard cutters sent far from US shores to bust smugglers trying...
Fugitive 'Cocaine King' Finally
Messes Up After 23 Years
Sep 5, 2017 2:03 AM CDT
Fugitive 'Cocaine King' Finally Messes Up After 23 Years
He now faces 30-year sentence in Italy
- A fugitive Italian crime boss is in custody after 23 years on the run following what seems to have been a major slip-up: Authorities in Uruguay say 50-year-old Rocco Morabito, once known as the "cocaine king of Milan," was found after he used his real name to enroll...
Canadian Bike Cops Nab One
of America's Most Wanted
Aug 29, 2017 10:37 AM CDT
Canadian Bike Cops Nab One of America's Most Wanted
Katay-Khaophone Sychanta may face extradition to US
- Montreal police have just earned a heap of respect for bicycle cops everywhere. Two cycling police officers were patrolling a Montreal bike path last Wednesday when they spotted two men they suspected of having drugs, police say. The suspects took off running and the officers pursued, one eventually jumping off...
Border Agents Watch as Drone
Flies 13 Pounds of Meth Into US
Aug 19, 2017 2:41 PM CDT
Border Agents Watch as Drone Flies 13 Pounds of Meth Into US
Agents recovered the drone and drugs and arrested a 25-year-old man
- Looks like automation is impacting everyone's livelihoods, even drug smugglers. The
Los Angeles Times
reports Border Patrol agents arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of importing a controlled substance Aug. 8 in California after watching a drone carrying 13 pounds of meth fly over the border fence from Mexico....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.