Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dozens of Penguins
Stung to Death by Bees
Sep 20, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
Dozens of Penguins Stung to Death by Bees
63 endangered African penguins were found Friday on a South African beach
- More than five dozen African penguins have met a sad end in South Africa, in what bird conservationists say is a most uncommon incident. AFP reports that 63 of the endangered birds were found dead Friday on Boulders Beach in Simon's Town, a suburb of Cape Town, and their...
He Got in His
Car After Grocery
Apr 2, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
He Got in His Car After Grocery Shopping. Then, 'Holy Cow'
Man had 15,000 bees waiting for him in his vehicle in an Albertsons parking lot in Las Cruces, NM
- Ever get behind the wheel and feel the creepy sensation that someone or something unwelcome is in the car with you? That's what happened to a man in Las Cruces, NM, over the weekend after a short trip to the grocery store, but to his horror, there wasn't...
Earth Is Facing an
Jan 13, 2021 2:35 PM CST
Earth Is Facing an 'Insect Apocalypse'
1% to 2% of insects disappear annually, but new habitats could help
- Insects, considered vital to the food chain, are slowly disappearing, at a rate of 1% to 2% each year in some parts of the world, according to researchers, who are urging the general public to lend a helping hand. We're already seeing "death by a thousand cuts,"...
Scientists Make 'Critical'
Find on Honeybees, Herbicide
Sep 25, 2018 8:54 AM CDT
Scientists Make 'Critical' Find on Honeybees, Herbicide
Glyphosate, used in Monsanto's Roundup, may kill off insects' essential gut bacteria
- Animals don't seem to be harmed by the world's most widely used weedkiller, but bees apparently don't fall under that protective umbrella. "This is really critical," one entomologist tells
of a new study showing the digestive system of honeybees (and possibly other bees as...
Babies May Not
Get the Concept
of 'Zero,' but
Jun 8, 2018 12:46 PM CDT
Babies May Not Get the Concept of 'Zero,' but Bees Do
Researchers amazed that honeybees can grasp the abstract construct of 'nothing'
- Dolphins, monkeys, birds, and homo sapiens have a shared understanding of a quite difficult concept, and now honeybees are joining the party. Per a release , that concept is "zero," an abstract mathematical construct that scientists say stumps humans until at least preschool , but which they now note is...
Berlin is Abuzz With Beehives
on Roofs Across the City
May 20, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Berlin is Abuzz With Beehives on Roofs Across the City
It's part of an initiative to help declining pollinators
- Beekeeper Uwe Marth pulls out a honeycomb produced in the hive he tends beneath the dome of the neo-baroque landmark in the German capital—and home to perhaps 30,000 bees. The hive on the riverside Protestant cathedral is one of more than 15 on prominent Berlin buildings that are...
Mom Who Took Maternity Pics
With Bees Shares Heartbreak
Nov 16, 2017 7:41 AM CST
Mom Who Took Maternity Pics With Bees Shares Heartbreak
Emily Mueller reveals baby she'd been pregnant with died in utero
- An Ohio mom whose photos from her maternity shoot went viral over the summer shared sad news online this weekend: The baby she'd been carrying, a little boy she and her husband named Emersyn Jacob, died in utero, reports the
. Emily Mueller, who runs a honeybee rescue...
Karen Pence Has
Naval Observatory Abuzz
Jun 7, 2017 6:52 AM CDT
Karen Pence Has Naval Observatory Abuzz
Second lady has installed beehive at the veep's official residence
- Second lady Karen Pence has opened their government residence to more than a few new inhabitants: honeybees. At least 15,000 of them. Pence showed off the beehive Tuesday, reports the AP , partly to draw attention to a decline in managed bee colonies that she and other officials say could...
Things Go From
'Horrible to Bad'
May 26, 2017 8:16 AM CDT
Things Go From 'Horrible to Bad' for Honeybees
Survey finds signs of hope
- Things aren't looking quite as bad for America's honeybees as they were a few years ago, but it is far too early to declare the crisis over, according to the annual survey carried out by the Bee Informed Partnership . The survey found that beekeepers lost 21% of their...
May 14, 2017 9:32 AM CDT
$170K in Stolen Bees Recovered in 'Sting'
Bee theft is 'kind of new to us,' says Calif. official
- A Montana beekeeper has recovered hives that were stolen from him in California, thanks to what the AP is calling an agricultural "sting" operation. Lloyd Cunniff of Choteau reported 488 hives stolen in January, after he had transported them to California for the almond pollination season. A tip led...
'Lowlife ... Bee Rustlers' Steal
$90K Worth of Honeybees
Jan 9, 2017 5:05 PM CST
'Lowlife ... Bee Rustlers' Steal $90K Worth of Honeybees
Suspects are still at large
- Last month, Texas thieves made off with $90,000 worth of ... bees. A Danbury beekeeper says he discovered 300 of his honey bee colonies were missing from a cattle ranch on Dec. 17, the
reports. Randy Verhoek's bees are typically unattended as they spend the winter on...
SC Sprays for Zika,
Kills Millions of Bees
Sep 1, 2016 11:30 AM CDT
SC Sprays for Zika, Kills Millions of Bees
Beekeepers in Dorchester County say they weren't warned
- The plan was to kill droves of mosquitoes to combat West Nile and Zika in South Carolina. An unexpected result: millions of honeybees ended up dead, too. Officials in Dorchester County who approved Sunday's aerial spraying of an insecticide have apologized after beekeepers lost entire hives and their livelihoods....
Been Giving Bees
Jul 27, 2016 12:02 PM CDT
Scientists: We've Been Giving Bees Birth Control
Neonicotinoids come with 'lethal and sub-lethal' side effects
- Just when you thought things couldn’t get worse for bees , a new study suggests we've been inadvertently feeding them birth control. Previous research has shown the world's most widely used pesticides, neonicotinoids, have hurt the lifespan and reproduction of honeybee queens and reduced the number of bumblebee...
Now on Sale
at Whole Foods
Apr 1, 2016 5:30 AM CDT
11-Year-Old's Lemonade Now on Sale at Whole Foods
Mikaila Ulmer first won a $60K investment on Shark Tank
- A sixth-grader in Austin, Texas, has turned a lemonade stand into a booming business now that she has expanded her reach to multiple states through a deal with Whole Foods, reports
. Mikaila Ulmer's secret recipe for BeeSweet Lemonade comes from her great-grandmother, and contains flax seed and honey...
Living in NY Home: 1M Bees
Jun 26, 2015 12:55 PM CDT
Living in NY Home: 1M Bees
Beekeepers working on removing them
- Beekeepers have quite the task ahead of them as they remove an estimated 1 million honey bees that have taken up residence at a New York home. The
of Middletown reports two beekeepers were at work yesterday removing siding on the outside of the Wallkill house to get...
Feds Want Your
Help to Save Bees
May 19, 2015 10:00 AM CDT
Feds Want Your Help to Save Bees
Plan aims to restore 7M acres of bee habitat over 5 years
- The federal government hopes to reverse America's declining honeybee and monarch butterfly populations by making more federal land bee-friendly, spending more on research, and considering the use of less pesticides. Scientists say bees—crucial to pollinate many crops—have been hurt by a combination of declining nutrition, mites, disease,...
Bee Die-Off Goes
From Bad to Worse
May 13, 2015 11:20 AM CDT
Bee Die-Off Goes From Bad to Worse
Beekeepers lost 42% of colonies over 12-month period: survey
- The honeybee die-off appears to have taken a turn for the worse to the chagrin of beekeepers. An annual survey finds beekeepers lost 42% of their colonies from April 2014 to the same month this year—the second-worst period for bees since surveys started in 2010. The previous 12-month period...
Truck Flips, Unleashes
Millions of Bees on Highway
Apr 17, 2015 4:19 PM CDT
Truck Flips, Unleashes Millions of Bees on Highway
Driver lost control near Seattle, and 14M bees were dumped
- A truck carrying millions of honeybees overturned on a highway north of Seattle early today, scattering hives and sending beekeepers scrambling to save as many insects as they could. The truck had just merged onto Interstate 5 around 3:30am when it tipped on its side, dumping its load of...
Lowe's to Stop
That May Harm Bees
Apr 10, 2015 11:35 AM CDT
Lowe's to Stop Selling Pesticide That May Harm Bees
Neonicotinoids to be removed from stores by 2019
- Lowe's is saying so long to a class of pesticides that may be contributing to our dwindling honeybee population. The home improvement chain said yesterday it will phase out pesticides known as neonicotinoids , or neonics; they'll be completely gone from store shelves and absent from plants the store...
How Bee Venom
Might Fight Cancer
Aug 13, 2014 6:46 PM CDT
How Bee Venom Might Fight Cancer
Researchers use synthetic form to safely attack tumors
- Locked within the honeybee’s painful sting is a toxin that could fight cancer, CNN reports. Though in its early stages, research shows that venom from bees, snakes, and scorpions can stop the growth of cancer cells. University of Illinois scientist Dipanjan Pan has taken the research one step further...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.