Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Climber 'Exceptionally Lucky'
After Fall From Summit
Sep 11, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Climber 'Exceptionally Lucky' After Fall From Summit
Warmer temps turned ice to snow, which cushioned 2K-foot fall on New Zealand's Mount Taranaki
- A climber who reached the summit of a mountain in New Zealand descended a
faster than anticipated but lived to tell the tale. The unidentified climber apparently lost his footing at the top of the challenging Mount Taranaki, slid down an astonishing 600 meters (about 2,000 feet), and...
She Griped of Pain for Over a
Year. Then, a Surprising Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
She Griped of Pain for Over a Year. Then, a Surprising Find
Dinner plate-sized surgical device was left in New Zealand woman's belly after C-section in 2020
- A New Zealand woman who gave birth by cesarean section in 2020 lived for 18 months with a surgical device "about the size of a dinner plate" concealed in her abdomen, according to a report released Monday. The unnamed woman in her 20s complained of chronic pain in the...
New Zealand Mom Guilty of
Murdering 3 Young Daughters
Aug 16, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
New Zealand Mom Guilty of Murdering 3 Young Daughters
Lauren Dickason said her postpartum-induced mental illness led her to kill her kids
- A New Zealand jury on Wednesday found a mother guilty of murdering her three young daughters after rejecting her defense that she was so mentally ill at the time she couldn't be held responsible. Lauren Dickason, 42, had earlier admitted killing her 2-year-old twin daughters, Maya and Karla, and...
AI-Powered Recipe Bot
Offers Deadly Suggestions
Aug 10, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
AI-Powered Recipe Bot Offers Deadly Suggestions
Ant-poison jelly sandwiches, anyone?
- A supermarket chain in New Zealand had to make some changes to its artificial intelligence-powered recipe app after it delivered some potentially deadly recommendations. The Savey Meal-bot from Pak'nSave came up with meal plans or recipes when customers entered lists of ingredients, but users soon discovered that the bot...
World Cup to Go On
After Gunman's Attack
in New Zealand
Jul 19, 2023 7:24 PM CDT
World Cup to Go On After Gunman's Attack in New Zealand
Police say 2 people were killed, 6 injured near teams' hotel
This file has been updated with details about increased security and the US team.
A gunman killed two people at a construction site in New Zealand's largest city on Thursday, as the nation prepared to host games in the FIFA Women's World Cup soccer tournament, authorities said. Six...
Is Waging War
With This Guy
Jul 1, 2023 4:33 PM CDT
New Zealand Is Waging War With This Guy
Island nation aims to eradicate rats by 2050 to save its native birds, and the BBC assesses its progress
- Seven years ago, New Zealand passed a law declaring that it aimed to eradicate rats by the year 2050, with the idea of saving its native birds. With 27 years to go until the deadline, the BBC checks in on how things are going, and it sounds a little exhausting,...
New Zealand PM's
Plane Is Very Rickety
Jun 27, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
New Zealand PM's Plane Is Very Rickety
'Betty' so prone to breakdowns that NZ sent a backup when Chris Hipkins traveled to China
- The United States has Air Force One, a plane that can refuel in midair and act as a presidential command center. New Zealand has "Betty," an aging Boeing 757 that officials on Monday acknowledged was so prone to breakdowns they'd sent an empty backup to ensure Prime...
Axe-Wielding Man Attacks
New Zealand Restaurants
Jun 20, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Axe-Wielding Man Attacks New Zealand Restaurants
4 injured in the incident
- A man with an axe attacked random diners at three neighboring Chinese restaurants in New Zealand, wounding four people, police and witnesses said. Police said the man began the attack at about 9pm Monday in the north Auckland suburb of Albany, the AP reports. Police arrested a 24-year-old suspect at...
Meet Dame Jacinda
Jun 5, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Meet Dame Jacinda
Former New Zealand PM given one of nation's highest honors
- You might remember her as the youngest prime minster New Zealand has ever seen; who picked up the state house phone herself when a journalist called to ask how to pronounce her name; who became only the second world leader to give birth in office ; who won global praise for...
Pay for Pizza From
This Chain After You Die
Jun 1, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Pay for Pizza From This Chain After You Die
Hell Pizza to offer 'AfterLife Pay' deal to 666 customers each in New Zealand, Australia
- A pizza chain is offering to bill customers for their pie only after they die—a deal that really is as good as it sounds. The "AfterLife Pay" offer isn't a way to boost sales, Ben Cumming, CEO of the New Zealand-based Hell Pizza chain, tells the
New Zealand Loses It Over
Miami Zoo's Handling of a Kiwi
May 24, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
New Zealand Loses It Over Miami Zoo's Handling of a Kiwi
'We have offended a nation,' the zoo admitted
- Don't underestimate New Zealanders' love for the kiwi bird—or how fiercely they'll respond to the perceived mistreatment of it. And mistreatment is what they say occurred at Zoo Miami, which houses a kiwi named Paora. Though kiwis are "reclusive and nocturnal," per the
Man Charged With Starting
Fire Chief's 'Worst Nightmare'
May 19, 2023 1:41 AM CDT
Man Charged With Starting Fire Chief's 'Worst Nightmare'
New Zealand hostel fire death toll adjusted down to 5, but searchers not yet done at scene
- New Zealand police on Friday lowered the confirmed death toll from a Wellington hostel fire from six people to five, although they said they still haven't finished searching the dangerous four-story building. And in another development, a man charged with two counts of arson in connection with the fire...
a New Gig
for the Fall
Apr 26, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Jacinda Ardern Announces a New Gig for the Fall
Former New Zealand PM has been appointed to multiple fellowships at Harvard
- If you've been wondering what Jacinda Ardern has been working on since she stepped down as New Zealand's prime minister earlier this year, her plans for the fall seem to be coming together, with "a stint of quiet reflection within academia overseas," notes CNN . The former...
Contest Called Off
Apr 20, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kids' Cat-Hunting Contest Called Off
New Zealand event canceled after outcry
- A feral cat-hunting competition for children has been canceled after it was not received as well as organizers might have hoped. As the BBC explains, in New Zealand, feral cats "are considered a pest and a risk to the country's biosecurity," and an annual hunt is held...
New Zealand Invests $4M
to Help Brokenhearted Teens
Mar 25, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
New Zealand Invests $4M to Help Brokenhearted Teens
The country's 'Love Better' campaign wants young people to 'own the feels'
- New Zealand's "Love Better" campaign is ready to help teenagers struggling with a breakup move on in a healthy way, and it's spending $4 million ($6.4 million in NZ currency) to do it. Via its affiliate RNZ, CNN reports that this is a youth-led campaign....
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Mar 20, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Nation on Earth
The honors go to Finland, per annual World Happiness Report; US comes in 15th
- It may be cold in the Nordic countries, but residents' hearts are warm. At least, that's what the 10th annual World Happiness Report found during this year's ranking of 137 nations. Per the Verge , the report—which uses study data and self-assessed life evaluations—found that we've...
Australia, NZ Are
in Good Shape to
Feb 9, 2023 6:50 PM CST
Australia, NZ Are in Good Shape to Survive Apocalypse
Food self-sufficiency, location are important factors, researchers say
- If the world goes to hell, the best place to be might be Down Under, researchers say. According to a study published in the journal
, Australia and New Zealand are among the places where people would be most likely to survive a nuclear winter or a similar abrupt...
Tons of Cocaine Were Floating
in Pacific. Police Got to It First
Feb 8, 2023 12:20 PM CST
Tons of Cocaine Were Floating in Pacific. Police Got to It First
It's New Zealand's biggest bust
- New Zealand police said Wednesday they found 3.5 tons of cocaine floating in a remote part of the Pacific Ocean after it was dropped there by an international drug-smuggling syndicate. While they have yet to make any arrests, police said they had dealt a financial blow to everyone from...
Jan 20, 2023 4:50 PM CST
Party Picks Ardern's Successor
Labor nominates one candidate, Chris Hipkins
- New Zealand's Labor Party moved quickly to agree on a new leader, making its choice two days after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced her resignation . Chris Hipkins, minister for education and policing, was nominated Saturday to succeed Ardern. His selection won't be official until the caucus votes Sunday,...
Ardern's Resignation Is a Shock.
But Can You Blame Her?
Jan 19, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Ardern's Resignation Is a Shock. But Can You Blame Her?
Her nearly 6 years in office were marked by a global pandemic, mass shooting, and sexist abuse
- Jacinda Ardern was "a breath of fresh air" from her election as the world's youngest female head of government in 2017 at age 37. Governing New Zealand with "empathy and humor," the former DJ carried a "'not quite a politician' vibe"—one reinforced...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.