Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's the Ultimate
It Killed Him
Jun 3, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
It's the Ultimate Sailing Adventure. It Killed Him
The 'Guardian' looks at the Clipper Round the World yacht race
- "Simon Speirs is exactly the sort of person Robin Knox-Johnston, the veteran sailor, had in mind when he founded the Clipper Round the World yacht race more than 25 years ago," writes Sally Williams for the
. Speirs is also dead, killed in 2017 while partaking in that...
2 Missing Men Found on
a Sailboat Adrift in Atlantic
Dec 14, 2022 3:42 PM CST
2 Missing Men Found on a Sailboat Adrift in Atlantic
Joe DiTomasso, Kevin Hyde had last been heard from Dec. 3
- At the beginning, Nina DiTomasso thought it was just a "typical dad" move. "My dad is notorious for losing his cellphone or his charger," she tells CBS News of 76-year-old Joe DiTomasso, so when his family didn't hear from his for a few days, they weren'...
It's a 6K-Mile Journey
You Likely Haven't Heard Of
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2022 7:55 AM CST
It's a 6K-Mile Journey You Likely Haven't Heard Of
About 200 people complete America's Great Loop each year
- You know about impressive feats like summiting Everest, completing the full Appalachian Trail, or swimming the English Channel. But as
Wilmington News Journal
point out, there's another trek that's completed by just 200 people a year—far fewer than the 700 who stand atop...
She's Kept This
Stunning Sailing Tale
to Herself. Until Now
Oct 8, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
She's Kept This Stunning Sailing Tale to Herself. Until Now
Golden Globe racer Susie Goodall wanted to circumnavigate the globe, not be a feminist icon
- Susie Goodall didn't quit the 2018 Golden Globe Race, but a storm somewhere between New Zealand and Cape Horn left her with little more than the hull of her beloved Rustler 36 sailboat. Goodall had quite a tale to tell after 160 days alone at sea, but she hasn'...
In 1962, His Pacific Crossing
Set a Record. Now, a New Feat
Jun 5, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
In 1962, His Pacific Crossing Set a Record. Now, a New Feat
Kenichi Horie becomes oldest person in world to cross the Pacific solo
- Japanese adventurer Kenichi Horie at 83 just became the oldest person in the world to complete a solo, nonstop voyage across the Pacific Ocean—and he says he is still "in the middle of my youth" and not done yet, reports the AP . Horie returned home as he crossed...
Kids in Sailing School
Get Unexpected Lesson
Jan 12, 2021 8:21 AM CST
Kids in Sailing School Get Unexpected Lesson
5 children had to be rescued from waves off Santa Cruz, Calif., on Sunday
- Five children had to be rescued from waves off Santa Cruz, Calif., over the weekend after their boats capsized during a sailing lesson. Several small sailboats flipped as a large wave struck near the mouth of Santa Cruz harbor around 4:30pm Sunday, per NBC News . Though an initial call...
It's Official: She Died at Sea.
Now, Her Husband's Sentencing
May 15, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
It's Official: She Died at Sea. Now, Her Husband's Sentencing
Lewis Bennett to be sentenced amid uncertainty on how exactly Isabella Hellmann died
- The declaration of his wife's presumed death at sea has arrived two years after Lewis Bennett requested it , but under very different circumstances than he might've then imagined. A judge has declared May 14, 2017, as the death date for Isabella Hellmann—who was on a sailing honeymoon...
Student Embroiled in
Apr 8, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Stanford Expels Student Embroiled in Admissions Scandal
Student had falsified sailing credentials, the university says
- The only Stanford student known to be associated with the massive college admissions scandal has been expelled from the university, the
reports. The female student, whose identity hasn't been released, was admitted through the standard process—not as a recruited athlete—but her application included falsified sailing...
212 Days Sailing
Bath, Steak, Beer
Jan 30, 2019 7:38 AM CST
Requests After 212 Days Sailing Around Globe: Bath, Steak, Beer
Jean-Luc Van Den Heede wins Golden Globe Race without modern instruments
- The solo around-the-world yacht race took out all but five of its 19 competitors. For awhile, Golden Globe race champion Jean-Luc Van Den Heede thought he was doomed, too. After setting out in July, the 73-year-old Frenchman suffered a damaged mast in a storm in the Southern Ocean in November....
157 Days Into Race, Her Boat
Dec 6, 2018 6:48 AM CST
157 Days Into Race, Her Boat Turned End-Over-End
UK's Susie Goodall is awaiting a rescue
- The only woman in a 30,000-mile solo race around the globe saw the "total loss" of her boat—with help two days away. One of 18 skippers, Brit Susie Goodall was in the 4th place 157 days into the Golden Globe Race when her 35-foot vessel was pitchpoled...
US Alleges British Sailor Sank
Boat to Hide Wife's Murder
Sep 16, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
US Alleges British Sailor Sank Boat to Hide Wife's Murder
The FBI first picked up Lewis Bennett on a smuggling charge that's since evolved
- Prosecutors say a British sailor initially arrested on charges he was smuggling gold and silver coins while on a voyage to Cuba now includes murder charges. The FBI believes Lewis Bennett killed his wife, Isabella Hellman, as they plied the Atlantic last year, the
reports. After Bennett was rescued...
This Is the Longest Line You
Can Sail Without Hitting Land
May 3, 2018 12:13 PM CDT
This Is the Longest Line You Can Sail Without Hitting Land
It goes more than 19K miles, from Pakistan to Russia
- Feel like getting away on the open sea for a long while? Get yourself a boat and head to Pakistan's coastal town of Sonmiani. From there, you can embark on the longest sailable straight line possible, reaching Russia's Karaginsky District some 19,940 miles away, according to researchers....
FBI: Man Murdered Wife
on Their Sailing Honeymoon
Feb 21, 2018 3:35 AM CST
FBI: Man Murdered Wife on Their Sailing Honeymoon
Investigators say husband saved tea set from boat, didn't look for wife
- A man who claimed his wife disappeared at sea when their boat collided with an unknown object near the Bahamas was charged Tuesday with killing her and intentionally trying to sink the vessel to cover his tracks, the AP reports. British citizen Lewis Bennett, 41, is charged with second-degree murder...
Boat That Then Sinks
Feb 12, 2018 10:20 AM CST
Couple Sells Everything, Buys Boat That Then Sinks
$11K raised so far for pair who admit they're new to sailing
- Tanner Broadwell and Nikki Walsh sold most of their possessions, bought a sailboat, and moved from Colorado to Florida with plans to explore the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. It was a longtime dream dashed—at least temporarily—just a day after they set sail. While navigating through John's...
2 Eagle Scouts Dead
in Sailing Electrocution
Aug 7, 2017 6:00 AM CDT
2 Eagle Scouts Dead in Sailing Electrocution
Another boy, 11, is hospitalized in Texas
- Two Eagle Scouts were fatally electrocuted over the weekend while teaching a younger Boy Scout how to sail. Authorities in East Texas say the mast of their catamaran apparently struck a power line on a lake Saturday afternoon, reports NBC News . The older boys, ages 16, and 18, were found...
Inside One of Worst Sailing
Disasters in US History
Jul 6, 2017 4:57 PM CDT
Inside One of Worst Sailing Disasters in US History
'Hundreds of moments that went wrong, for everyone'
- When the storm hit with enough force to knock a 57,000-ton, 600-foot oil tanker aground, Alabama's Mobile Bay was filled with much smaller vessels.
, in a harrowing look at one of the worst sailing disasters in US history, reports 125 boats with 475 sailors and guests—some...
Sailor Beats World Record
With 'Incredible' Time
Dec 26, 2016 12:02 AM CST
Sailor Beats World Record With 'Incredible' Time
Thomas Coville sails around world solo in 49 days
- A French sailor has just destroyed the world record for the fastest time around the world on a solo voyage. Thomas Coville reached the finish line in the English Channel precisely 49 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes, and 38 seconds after he started out, reports France24 . That beats the mark...
Nov 8, 2016 10:51 AM CST
Couple Abducted by Pirates—Again
Sabine Merz reportedly killed, Jürgen Kantner seized in Philippines
- A German couple who's spent four decades sailing the world has apparently been abducted by pirates for a second time, with what appears to be a fatal result. Jürgen Kantner and Sabine Merz—who were held by Somali pirates for 52 days in 2008, until a six-figure ransom...
Boat, Saves Marriage
Jun 14, 2015 8:27 AM CDT
Author's Atlantic Odyssey Dooms Boat, Saves Marriage
Michael Hurley's trip doesn't exactly go according to plan
- South Carolina author Michael Hurley set sail for Ireland hoping to do some research for his next novel. Instead, he lost his sailboat, had to be rescued by students, and failed to reach his goal by about 2,000 miles; but he came back with a story he probably couldn'...
In Rio's Olympic Waters:
May 19, 2014 11:41 AM CDT
In Rio's Olympic Waters: Corpses, Sewage
Rio has a long way to go in clean up of Guanabara Bay
- With the clock ticking on Rio's 2016 Olympics and tongues wagging about its lack of preparedness , the
New York Times
today turns to a rather disgusting item on the Games' checklist that Brazil seems to have missed: Guanabara Bay, the site of the sailing and windsurfing events. Despite Brazil'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.