Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'How Am I Talking to Someone
Who Has a Pig Heart?'
Sep 23, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
'How Am I Talking to Someone Who Has a Pig Heart?'
Navy vet Lawrence Faucette, 58, has transplant in Maryland, only the 2nd living patient to do so
- Surgeons have transplanted a pig's heart into a dying man in a bid to prolong his life—only the second patient to ever undergo such an experimental feat. Two days after the Wednesday procedure , the man was cracking jokes and able to sit in a chair, Maryland doctors said...
Pig Kidney Has Been Working
in a Human for 32 Days
Aug 16, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Pig Kidney Has Been Working in a Human for 32 Days
The patient in question is brain-dead
- Maurice Miller is brain-dead, but the 57-year-old is being kept alive so doctors at NYU Langone Health in New York City can study his kidney—which was transplanted from a pig. The organ has been producing urine and filtering toxins since July 14, meaning 32 days. That's far longer...
Supreme Court Delivers
a Defeat to Pork Industry
May 11, 2023 1:52 PM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers a Defeat to Pork Industry
Justices reject challenge to animal cruelty law in California that has effects beyond the state
- The Supreme Court has handed the pork industry a defeat, rejecting a challenge brought against an animal cruelty law in California. Justices decided that lower courts were correct in dismissing the challenge to the law, which requires more space for breeding pigs, reports the AP . The 2018 law stipulates that...
The Canadian 'Super Pig'
Could Be Coming for Us
Feb 21, 2023 3:23 PM CST
The Canadian 'Super Pig' Could Be Coming for Us
The massive pigs are as hardy as they are destructive
- It sounds like something out of a movie: an "incredibly intelligent, highly elusive" pig that's both massive and impervious to cold temps due to its size and ability to tunnel as many as six feet under the snow. And it's apparently coming for us. The
Couple Who Won Pig Wanted to
Bring Her Home. The Fair: Nope
Jan 21, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Couple Who Won Pig Wanted to Bring Her Home. The Fair: Nope
South Florida Fair insisted 'terminal' auction rules couldn't be changed to save swine from slaughter
- When Meg and Eric Weinberger recently attended the South Florida Fair in West Palm Beach, they had their eyes open for a pig to bring home to their animal sanctuary, Rescue Life in nearby Palm Beach Gardens. They became enamored with one pig in particular named Bella B Swine, and...
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise
Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
Dec 4, 2022 4:25 PM CST
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
Dozens of similar facilities are planned in coming years
- Pigs are big business in China, which consumes about half of the world’s pork, but pig farms require lots of space. They also produce a slurry of toxic biproducts and—above all—are vulnerable to disease outbreaks like African swine fever, which wiped out 100 million pigs between 2018...
Feb 21, 2022 7:27 AM CST
Carl Icahn Takes On McDonald's Over Pig Treatment
Financier buys small stake, wants to make moves over its treatment of pigs used for pork
- Carl Icahn holds a small stake in McDonald's, but the financier has two things he wants now that he's a player in the company's machinations: two people of his choice named to the Mickey Dee's board, as well as an improvement in how the company treats...
This Airport's Secret Weapon
Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Nov 29, 2021 1:28 PM CST
This Airport's Secret Weapon Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Officials hope the pigs will eat enough sugar beet near Amsterdam's Schiphol hub to fend off geese
- No one wants their plane to fly into a flock of birds during takeoff, and at one of the Netherlands' busiest hubs, they've come up with a most creative approach to try to prevent such an event. A six-week project has been launched that has stuck pigs on a...
Pigs Impress Researchers
With Video Game Skills
Feb 12, 2021 10:31 AM CST
Pigs Impress Researchers With Video Game Skills
They used their snouts to control joystick
- You won't see Wilbur joining a
Call of Duty
session any time soon, but researchers have confirmed that pigs are capable of playing video games. In a study published in the journal
Frontiers of Psychology
, animal behavior specialist Candace Croney and chimpanzee cognition expert Sarah Boysen says four pigs...
This Drawing of a Pig
Might Be Historic
Jan 14, 2021 10:55 AM CST
This Drawing of a Pig Might Be Historic
Study suggests image in Indonesian cave is oldest known depiction of an animal
- An ancient artist ventured into an Indonesian cave 45,000 years ago and used primitive paint to sketch pigs on the ceiling. In a study at
, archaeologists have now declared the painting to be the oldest depiction of animals known in history, reports
. The scene depicts...
The Premier Tried to Speak.
Then Came the Pig Guts
Nov 27, 2020 7:01 AM CST
The Premier Tried to Speak. Then Came the Pig Guts
'Disgusting' Taiwan protest was in response to allowance of US pork imports with ractopamine
- It's not out of the ordinary for fights to break out in Taiwan's parliament, but Friday's brawl was more stomach-turning than usual. As Premier Su Tseng-chang tried to answer questions during a session of the Legislative Yuan, punches flew and members of the Kuomintang (KMT) opposition party...
One Pig Farmer Warns:
'There Will Be Suicides'
May 14, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
One Pig Farmer Warns: 'There Will Be Suicides'
Hundreds of thousands of pigs are being culled amid backlogs at meatpacking plants
- Chickens aren't the only animals getting gassed amid the coronavirus pandemic. As the
New York Times
reports, American pork producers are killing and disposing of hundreds of thousands of pigs "without processing them into food." Closures of meatpacking plants mean there's a backlog of pigs waiting...
Meat Shortage Affecting
One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
May 5, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Meat Shortage Affecting One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
Some Wendy's locations don't have burgers
- Despite President Trump's executive order dictating that meat processing plants stay open , the specter of meat shortages is being felt across the US—and customers of at least one fast-food chain are taking notice. Bloomberg notes that Wendy's has long advertised itself as offering hamburgers made from fresh...
Fire Breaks Out After Pig
Eats, Excretes Pedometer
Mar 9, 2020 5:24 PM CDT
Fire Breaks Out After Pig Eats, Excretes Pedometer
The copper in the battery was likely a factor in the blaze
- Just when you think you've heard it all: A fire broke out in England after a pig ... swallowed a pedometer. And then excreted it. The battery's copper proved to be an unfortunate mix with the dry hay and the feces in the North Yorkshire pig pen, reports the...
Swine Fever Outbreak
Expected to Wipe Out
a Quarter of All Pigs
Oct 31, 2019 2:27 AM CDT
Swine Fever Outbreak Expected to Wipe Out a Quarter of All Pigs
Finding a vaccine is a 'complex challenge'
- The World Organization for Animal Health says around a quarter of the global pig population is expected to die from African swine fever. Dr. Mark Schipp, the organization's vice president, told reporters in Australia that the spread of the disease in the past year to countries including China, which...
African Swine Fever
Reaches South Korea
Sep 18, 2019 12:29 AM CDT
African Swine Fever Reaches South Korea
Outbreak threatens to wreak havoc on herds
- South Korea has confirmed a second case of African swine fever near its border with North Korea, raising concerns that the outbreak could spread and wreak havoc on the country's massive pig herds. An official from South Korea's agriculture ministry said Wednesday that workers were planning to cull...
Hot Dog Buns
Used to Fight
Aug 30, 2019 8:09 AM CDT
Hot Dog Buns Used to Fight Vermont Town's Pig Problem
The farmer's fine reportedly stands at $82K
- About 250 pigs have been causing a ruckus in a Vermont town after they escaped from their enclosure weeks ago, but most of them had been returned as of Thursday thanks in part to a trail of hot dog buns and good ol' fashioned corralling. "What [the buns do]...
Farmers Jailed Over Pig Semen
Smuggled in Shampoo Bottles
Aug 14, 2019 3:58 PM CDT
Farmers Jailed Over Pig Semen Smuggled in Shampoo Bottles
Australian minister describes 'a disturbing disregard for the laws'
- Two pig farmers have been jailed in Australia over their role in illegally importing pig semen disguised as shampoo. GD Pork managing director Torben Soerensen was sentenced to three years in prison; production manager Henning Laue was sentenced to two years. Both men were accused of aiding in a scheme...
Scientists Make History
With Work on Dead Brains
Apr 17, 2019 5:20 PM CDT
Scientists Make History With Work on Dead Brains
Yale scientists breathed some life into them
- Scientists say they've managed to revive cellular activity in a group of dead brains—a development that could lead to new health treatments and even blur our notions of life and death, the
New York Times
reports. The Yale University team obtained freshly decapitated pig heads from a slaughterhouse,...
Woman Agrees to Adopt
Pig, Has It Slaughtered
Apr 9, 2019 7:19 AM CDT
Woman Agrees to Adopt Pig, Has It Slaughtered
Cops found more than 200 pounds of pork products
- A pig rescued from a slaughterhouse as a piglet ended up as pork products after all. An animal rescue activist in France looked after the animal for two years after it was saved when it was two months old. When the activist moved and no longer had space to keep...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.