Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cities in the US
Sep 17, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
10 Fastest-Growing Cities in the US
Myrtle Beach leads the way, but Florida holds court
- It may be primarily known as a vacation spot, but Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is also fast becoming a permanent destination for more people. The city ranks first in a
US News & World Report
ranking of the fastest-growing metro areas in the nation. The city is relatively small compared...
Zoo Accused of Being 'One
of the Worst' Is No More
Aug 28, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Zoo Accused of Being 'One of the Worst' Is No More
South Carolina's Waccatee Zoo has been shuttered as part of a settlement with PETA
- Three months ago, PETA removed nine animals from what it called "one of the worst roadside zoos in America." Now, that venue has been shut down for good. The animal rights group has reached a settlement with the Waccatee Zoo, located in South Carolina's Myrtle Beach area,...
in 1 Day
Aug 19, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Sharks Bite 2 Swimmers in 1 Day
Neither attack was fatal, but 1 wound required hundreds of stitches
- Sharks bit two swimmers in one day at a South Carolina tourist destination this week, about a half-mile and just more than an hour apart. One bite caused a serious injury but didn't threaten the swimmer's life; the other was minor, NBC News reports. "I just felt...
SC Woman Killed by
Umbrella on Beach Outing
Aug 12, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
SC Woman Killed by Umbrella on Beach Outing
Tammy Perreault, 63, died Wednesday in South Carolina
- A midweek beach outing turned tragic for a South Carolina woman after an umbrella blew over and fatally impaled her. WMBF reports that 63-year-old Tammy Perreault of Horry County was struck in the chest Wednesday around 12:40pm by the umbrella. It had toppled with the wind on the shore...
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in
SC Pond Also a Rare One
Jun 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in SC Pond Also a Rare One
Officials say alligator yanked victim into retention pond, killed him in Myrtle Beach
- There have been only three recorded human deaths due to alligator attacks in South Carolina, but on Friday, a fourth fatality was added to that list. In a Friday Facebook post , the Horry County Police Department reported that shortly before noon that day, a call came in to local firefighters...
Arrest Made in
2009 Myrtle Beach
May 16, 2022 5:31 PM CDT
Arrest Made in 2009 Myrtle Beach Disappearance
Brittanee Drexel, 17, vanished during spring break
- A full 13 years after Brittanee Drexel disappeared while on spring break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina authorities said Monday that a suspect has been charged in her death. Raymond Moody, 62, is in custody, officials said, and has been charged with rape, murder, and kidnapping, WCIV reports. The 17-year-old'...
Cops: Frightened Patron Shot
Haunted House Performer
Apr 21, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Cops: Frightened Patron Shot Haunted House Performer
Keal Latrell Brown told police he thought gun was a prop
- A haunted house performer in South Carolina was shot Saturday for doing his job: scaring people, police say. The performer at the Zombie Experience at the Hollywood Wax Museum Haunted House in Myrtle Beach had scared a group of visitors before he was struck with a bullet to the shoulder,...
Oct 4, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Shooting Ends With Officer, Suspect Dead
Police had been called to a house in Myrtle Beach
- A police officer and a suspect were killed Saturday night when shooting erupted after police were called to a home in Myrtle Beach. When the shooting stopped, both were found dead, and a second officer was found to be wounded; he was hospitalized with injuries that weren't considered life-threatening,...
Police Think Man Mentioned
Killed Woman in SC
Feb 14, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Police Think Man Mentioned in
Killed Woman in SC
Detectives say DNA links deceased Ronald Lee Moore to 1996 murder
- South Carolina detectives believe they've solved a cold case murder, and you might recognize the name of the alleged perpetrator. Ronald Lee Moore was mentioned in the first season of the
podcast as a possible suspect in the 1999 murder of Baltimore's Hae Min Lee—though Adnan...
One-Ton Great White
Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Oct 29, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
One-Ton Great White Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Unama'ki, 2nd largest white shark tracked in NW Atlantic by nonprofit, started out in Nova Scotia
- A giant she-shark has been working her way down the East Coast from Canada, and her latest sighting is in the waters off of Florida. CNN reports the 1-ton great white—named Unama'ki, a term used by the Mi'kmaq First Nations people to mean "land of the...
Cops: Ex-Boyfriend Arrived at
Murder Scene via Car Service
in case you missed it
Oct 14, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Cops: Ex-Boyfriend Arrived at Murder Scene via Car Service
Alina Sheykhet took out protection order against Matthew Darby last month
- Three days after a 20-year-old college student's parents found her murdered in her Pittsburgh apartment, the woman's ex-boyfriend was arrested four states away, the
reports. According to WPXI , Alina Sheykhet had filed for a protection from abuse order against 21-year-old Matthew Darby last month. Police in...
'We Went Down All the Slides':
Alleged Snapchat Confession
Jul 6, 2017 7:32 AM CDT
'We Went Down All the Slides': Alleged Snapchat Confession
Teens busted for early-morning break-in at SC water park: cops
- Two teens in Myrtle Beach, SC, have apparently never heard the phrase "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"—though in this case, Vegas is "the water park." Logan Brooke Larrimore and Farren Marie Lane, both 18, were arrested and charged Wednesday with third-degree burglary after...
for Teen Who
May Have Been
Mar 26, 2017 1:50 PM CDT
FBI Searching for Teen Who May Have Been Tossed Into Gator Pit
Brittanee Drexel went missing on spring break in 2009
- Brittanee Drexel was 17 years old when she went missing while on spring break in Myrtle Beach in 2009; police believe she was murdered, but a body has never been found. But since Friday morning, FBI agents have been searching the woods at the end of a dusty dirt road...
Aug 31, 2016 12:33 AM CDT
FBI Has Horrifying Theory on Missing Teen
Authorities believe Brittanee Drexel, 17, was raped and tossed into gator pit
- The FBI believes Brittanee Drexel, a 17-year-old girl vacationing in South Carolina, was kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and dumped in a gator pit after disappearing from Myrtle Beach in 2009,
reports. According to NBC New York , it's the first time the FBI has given its thoughts on what...
Police Hunt for Baby Mom Allegedly Put in Creek
Nov 4, 2015 1:00 PM CST
Police Hunt for Baby Mom Allegedly Put in Creek
Sarah Lane Toney, 33, is being held on an unrelated warrant
- Police are scouring a creek outside Myrtle Beach, SC, for a missing infant who disappeared under suspicious circumstances involving her mother. Details are sketchy, but police say they responded to a call about a suspicious person at a home near the creek in Socastee around 10:30am Tuesday, reports the...
Loaded Gun Found
Among Target's Toys
Jun 6, 2014 6:52 AM CDT
Loaded Gun Found Among Target's Toys
Police on the hunt for a male suspect
- A Target worker checking out the toy aisle in Myrtle Beach last week found what he first thought was a toy gun but turned out to be a real, loaded one, WMBF reports. Police say a male had been spotted walking up and down each toy aisle before the handgun...
Towns Pay Up
to Keep Airlines From Taking Off
Aug 18, 2009 12:37 PM CDT
Towns Pay Up to Keep Airlines From Taking Off
Small cities pull out all the stops as airports threaten to close
- With airlines feeling the pain of the economic crash, many mid-sized cities, too big for federal help but too small to draw many travelers, have resorted to shaking the money tree to keep the planes flying, the
New York Times
reports. Some, like Myrtle Beach, have slashed fees across the...
SC Wildfire Blamed on
Burning of Yard Debris
Apr 24, 2009 1:56 PM CDT
SC Wildfire Blamed on Burning of Yard Debris
- Investigators say the wildfire tearing through South Carolina was set off by someone burning yard debris, the AP reports. The fire apparently rekindled days later, then burned through dry scrub and trees into North Myrtle Beach. The fire was about 50% contained this afternoon, and the tourist area of Myrtle...
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.