Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Favorite for Heisman
Oct 30, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
COVID-19 Sidelines Favorite for Heisman
Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence tested positive on Wednesday
- The top-ranked Clemson Tigers will have to go without their star quarterback and the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, who's tested positive for COVID-19. Trevor Lawrence tested negative on Sunday but logged a positive test on Wednesday, officials said late Thursday, per CNN . The quarterback will be out...
Oct 14, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Iconic Coach Gets COVID Right Before Big Game
Alabama Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban says he's isolating at home
- Alabama coach Nick Saban and athletic director Greg Byrne have tested positive for COVID-19, three days before the second-ranked Crimson Tide is set to face No. 3 Georgia in a clash of Southeastern Conference and national powers, the AP reports. Both said their tests Wednesday morning came back positive, but...
Final Major Conference
Decides to Resume Football
Sep 25, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Final Major Conference Decides to Resume Football
Mid-American teams will play 6-game schedule, while other fall sports wait till spring
- The Mid-American Conference, the first major college football league to postpone its season after the coronavirus pandemic hit, has become the final one to jump back in. That means all 10 conferences will play in the fall, the AP reports. As university presidents in the Big Ten, Pac-12, and Mountain...
2 More Conferences
Reverse Course on
Sep 25, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
2 More Conferences Reverse Course on College Football
Pac-12, Mountain West are back in the game
- A major college football season that was in peril six weeks ago as conferences succumbed to concerns about COVID-19 is reconstituting. The West Coast got back in the game Thursday night, with the Pac-12 set to start a seven-game season Nov. 6, joining the Big Ten in overturning August decisions...
Penn State Clarifies
Alarming Claim on
Sep 4, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Penn State Clarifies Alarming Claim on Athlete Health
Team doctor said a third of athletes had heart issue after recovering from virus
- Penn State's director of athletic medicine has apologized for causing "confusion" with an alarming claim about athletes who have recovered from COVID-19. Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, who is also the Penn State football team's doctor, said earlier this week that around a third of Big Ten athletes who...
Conference Finds Athletes
Have an Issue After Recovery
Sep 3, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Conference Finds Athletes Have an Issue After Recovery
About one-third who had COVID-19 show heart inflammation
- A new revelation suggests the Big Ten made the right call in canceling its fall sports, but it could worry athletes in general. About one-third of the conference's athletes who had COVID-19 are now showing signs of inflammation of the heart muscle, CNN reports. Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, Penn State'...
Study: Black Athletes Lose Out
Under NCAA 'Amateur' Rule
Sep 1, 2020 7:57 PM CDT
Study: Black Athletes Lose Out Under NCAA 'Amateur' Rule
If they were paid, players would get an average of up to $500K each
- The "amateur" system at Power 5 colleges has become an effective system to transfer wealth from poorer—and often Black—athletes to mostly white students and administrators, according to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research. The NBER estimates that if the student athletes were allowed...
Big Ten, Pac-12 Make
'Extremely Painful' Decision
Aug 11, 2020 5:29 PM CDT
Big Ten, Pac-12 Make 'Extremely Painful' Decision
Conferences are pulling the plug on fall fooball
- The Big Ten and Pac-12 called off their fall football seasons on Tuesday because of concerns about COVID-19, taking two of college football's five power conferences out of a crumbling season. Five months after the first spikes in coronavirus cases in the US led to the cancellation of the...
'Play College Football,'
Aug 10, 2020 4:58 PM CDT
'Play College Football,' Trump Demands
He weighs in after reports Big Ten Conference has called off fall season
- President Trump was quick to weigh in following reports Monday that the Big Ten Conference has voted to cancel the fall season . "Play College Football!" the president tweeted . He also retweeted a post from Clemson University quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who said "we all want to play football"...
Report: Big Ten Football
Has Been Called Off
Aug 10, 2020 1:04 PM CDT
Report: Big Ten Football Has Been Called Off
School presidents voted 12-2 against playing
- The 14 teams of the Big Ten conference have voted overwhelmingly in favor of scrapping this fall's college football season, sources tell the
Detroit Free Press
. On Sunday, university presidents voted 12-2 in favor of ending fall sports in the conference, with only Nebraska and Iowa voting to play,...
Calls It Quits
Aug 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
First Top-Tier NCAA League Calls It Quits
'I'm heartbroken we are in this place'
- The Mid-American Conference on Saturday became the first league competing at college football's highest level to cancel its fall season because of COVID-19 concerns, the AP reports. "I'm heartbroken we are in this place," MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said. With the MAC's 12 schools facing...
Ivy League Drops the
Hammer on All Sports
Jul 8, 2020 6:15 PM CDT
Ivy League Drops the Hammer on All Sports
Now, what about other Division I conferences?
- The Ivy League has scrapped all its sports until at least January—a move that throws Division I college football into question with preseason games only weeks away, CBS Sports reports. Ivy League presidents said Wednesday that due to "the continued spread of the virus," they couldn't...
Is Out, Accused
Jun 15, 2020 7:20 PM CDT
Strength Coach Is Out, Accused of Belittling Black Players
Former Iowa athletes raised the allegations on social media
- The University of Iowa cut ties with a football team strength coach Chris Doyle on Monday, after former Hawkeyes accused him of mistreating and belittling African American players. A separation agreement will pay Chris Dolye more than $1.1 million, the AP reports. The university also said a Missouri law...
Ohio State's Football Move
May Become New Normal
Jun 15, 2020 7:37 AM CDT
Ohio State's Football Move May Become New Normal
Players have to sign a COVID waiver
- The world of college football in 2020: Players on one of the top teams in the nation must sign a COVID-19 waiver if they want to take the field. The
obtained a copy of what the school calls the Buckeye Pledge. It lays out safety protocols players must...
Apr 12, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Coach Says He's Sorry That 'Some' People Were Offended
Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy apologizes for his coronavirus remarks
- Oklahoma State's football coach apologized Saturday for comments he made about the coronavirus pandemic—which is only fueling a fresh round of eye-rolls from critics. "I have been made aware that comments from my press conference have offended some," Mike Gundy said in a statement, per
Big Hit at College Football
Championship: the Trumps
Jan 14, 2020 1:07 AM CST
Big Hit at College Football Championship: the Trumps
Crowd chanted 'USA!' and 'Four more years!'
- President Trump got booed during a World Series game last year, but he received a much warmer welcome at the College Football Playoff National Championship in New Orleans Monday night. There were loud cheers and chants of "USA!" and "Four more years" as the president and Melania...
Championship Win Caps
Magical Season for LSU
Jan 14, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Championship Win Caps Magical Season for LSU
Joe Burrow broke a few more records
- From small-town Ohio kid to Louisiana Legend, Joe Burrow capped his record-breaking, Heisman-winning season by bringing a national championship to LSU. Burrow threw five touchdown passes, ran for another score and finished off one of the most accomplished seasons in college football history by leading the top-ranked LSU Tigers to...
ESPN Reporter Dead at 34
Dec 25, 2019 6:11 AM CST
ESPN Reporter Dead at 34
Ed Aschoff dies of pneumonia on Christmas Eve, his 34th birthday
- Ed Aschoff "smiled with his entire being," told stories as "one of the smartest, brightest reporters" around, and was always the best-dressed guy in any room, his colleagues at ESPN say in a heartbreaking obituary. Aschoff, a college football reporter for the network, died on Christmas Eve,...
Cadets Were Just
Playing 'the Circle Game,'
Service Academies Find
Dec 20, 2019 5:10 PM CST
Cadets Were Just Playing 'the Circle Game,' Service Academies Find
Investigation clears Army-Navy spectators of making white power gestures
- West Point has decided that cadets attending the Army-Navy football game last weekend did not intend to flash white power hand gestures. But the Military Academy is still not thrilled. An investigation found that the cadets were playing "the circle game," usually played by children and teenagers. In...
Hand Gestures in Stands
Are Receiving a Closer Look
Dec 15, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Hand Gestures in Stands Are Receiving a Closer Look
'White power' sign appeared to show up in broadcast of Army-Navy game
- The Army and Navy academies are looking into hand signs flashed by students that can be associated with "white power" and were televised during the Army-Navy football game on Saturday, school officials said. Cadets at West Point and midshipmen at the Naval Academy in the stands both appeared to...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.