Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Do You Know Who This Man Is?
SLC Reporter Didn't (Hilariously)
Sep 25, 2021 1:22 PM CDT
Do You Know Who This Man Is? SLC Reporter Didn't (Hilariously)
Jordan Clarkson patiently spelled his name on camera for man-on-street interview
- Reporters are usually pretty hip to what’s going on in the cities they cover. That said, not everyone is into sports. Not everyone would recognize a famous NBA star and Sixth Man of the Year, even if they spoke with him. And asked him his name. And how to...
German Reporter Suspended
For Smearing Mud on Clothes
Jul 25, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
German Reporter Suspended For Smearing Mud on Clothes
Susanna Ohlen apologized, said she'd been ashamed her clothes were clean
- A German reporter has been suspended from her TV station after smearing herself with mud before broadcasting from a flooded town. Susanna Ohlen, who works for RTL’s
Good Morning Germany
program, said she had been helping with clean-up efforts in the days preceding the broadcast but felt ashamed...
, Hong Kong's
Pro-Democracy Paper, Dies
Jun 23, 2021 1:28 PM CDT
, Hong Kong's Pro-Democracy Paper, Dies
Its employees arrested and assets frozen, the 26-year-old news outlet ends its run
, Hong Kong’s main pro-democracy paper, is shutting down. Its founder, Jimmy Lai, is in jail, and several other top-level editors were arrested last week. But the killing blow was when the government froze its assets—about $2.3 million, the AP reports. The arrests and freezing of...
1619 Project Creator Makes
Decision on Teaching Job
Jun 23, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
1619 Project Creator Makes Decision on Teaching Job
Nikole Hannah-Jones cites 'political interference,' won't teach at UNC-Chapel Hill without tenure
- Nikole Hannah-Jones is to teach two courses at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill's journalism school this fall. But she won't be in class unless she gets tenure, according to a letter submitted by the 1619 Project creator's legal team. Others appointed to the Knight Chair in...
One of Reporters' Best Sources
Is Their Biggest Critic
Jun 21, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
One of Reporters' Best Sources Is Their Biggest Critic
Tucker Carlson loves giving the inside scoop to journalists, writes Ben Smith
- Tucker Carlson is always going after journalists, the group he has described as "cringing animals who are not worthy of respect." But in his latest media column for the
New York Times
, Ben Smith writes about what he calls one of DC's "open secrets"—Carlson...
We Might Be Looking at Issue
of Local News Backward
Jun 14, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
We Might Be Looking at Issue of Local News Backward
Jack Shafer makes the case that it's a problem with demand, not supply
- You've no doubt heard the lament about the death of local news throughout the country and the potentially dire consequences that might result. Local governments operating with no accountability, for instance. Generally, the blame is laid upon on greedy publishers focused on the bottom line or online behemoths such...
Hedge Fund Takes Tribune,
Giving It $278M in Debt
May 26, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
Hedge Fund Takes Tribune, Giving It $278M in Debt
Alden had said it had enough cash for the deal
- Alden Global Capital closed its deal for Tribune on Monday. The hedge fund wasted little time installing new leadership and saddling the newspaper chain with $278 million in debt it took on for the acquisition, according to regulatory filings. Alden, which owns the MediaNews Group newspaper chain and is the...
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed
Obama at 11 Dies at 23
May 15, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed Obama at 11 Dies at 23
Damon Weaver was on his way to a journalism career
- Getting to tell the president what you want in your school lunch is a dream come true for a kid. And landing an interview with a sitting president is a dream come true for a young reporter. Damon Weaver did both at the same time in 2009 , when he was...
President Ordered to Pay
Damages to Journalist
Mar 28, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
President Ordered to Pay Damages to Journalist
Bolsonaro 'damaged the honor' of the reporter
- A Brazilian judge has ordered that country’s leader to compensate a journalist, saying that comments made by President Jair Bolsonaro had “damaged the honor of the complainant, causing moral damage,” AFP reports. The March 16 decision calls for Bolsonaro to pay Patricia Campos Mello, a reporter for...
Chris Cuomo Hears About
Not Covering His Brother
Mar 2, 2021 12:08 PM CST
Chris Cuomo Hears About Not Covering His Brother
CNN anchor has covered the governor before but now says he can't
- The Cuomo who's a CNN anchor obviously can't cover the barrage of accusations facing the Cuomo who's governor of New York. That would be wrong, commentators agreed on social media. But, they wondered, why has it been right until now? "Obviously, I am aware of what...
Get 2 Years
Feb 18, 2021 1:36 PM CST
For Filming Protest, They Get 2 Years in Prison
2 journalists jailed in Belarus
- Two journalists in Belarus were convicted Thursday of violating public order and sentenced to two years in prison after they covered a protest against authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko , per the AP . Katsiaryna Bakhvalava, 27, and Daria Chultsova, 23, both of the Polish-funded Belsat TV channel, were arrested in November after...
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job.
Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2021 3:35 PM CST
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job. Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
Nidhi Razdan of NDTV says she fell victim to a 'sophisticated and coordinated phishing attack'
- Nidhi Razdan spent 21 years as the lead anchor of India's NDTV, which one might think would give her the chops to take on a position as an associate professor of journalism at Harvard. In fact, in June she said she was giving up her job to do that...
Saudi Crown Prince Sued
in US Court Over 2018 Murder
Oct 20, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
Saudi Crown Prince Sued in US Court Over 2018 Murder
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee says he saw the journalist as an 'existential threat'
- Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee has sued Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in US federal court over the death of the Saudi journalist. Hatice Cengiz, along with the human rights organization founded by Khashoggi, allege in the suit that Khashoggi's torture, death, and dismemberment came at the "directive of...
Woody Allen Takes
a Swing at His
May 30, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Woody Allen Takes a Swing at His Son's Work
The filmmaker calls Farrow's reporting 'shoddy'
- With Ronan Farrow on the ropes, his dad is taking a shot of his own. "People are beginning to realize that it isn't just in relation to me that his journalism has been kind of shoddy," Woody Allen tells the
. "And I'm not so...
Looks Like Businessman
Paid $500K to Kill Journo
Nov 28, 2019 11:10 AM CST
Looks Like Businessman Paid $500K to Kill Journo
The Daphne Caruana Galizia case is heating up in Malta
- A probe into the killing of journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia has led investigators all the way to the halls of power in Malta, the
reports. Last week, prominent Maltese businessman Yorgen Fenech was arrested after trying to flee the country on his yacht, and told authorities that Keith Schembri—...
Shep Smith Just
Wallet to Fight
'Garbage and Lies'
Nov 22, 2019 9:22 AM CST
Shep Smith Just Opened His Wallet to Fight 'Garbage and Lies'
Former Fox News host donates $500K to Committee to Protect Journalists
- Shepard Smith has been lying low since he abruptly left Fox News last month, but he reemerged Thursday in New York with quite a bang, and lots of bucks. The
New York Times
reports Smith served as the emcee of the International Press Freedom Awards, the annual black-tie fundraiser for...
Journalist: CBP Officer Held
My Passport Until I Said 'Yes'
Oct 5, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Journalist: CBP Officer Held My Passport Until I Said 'Yes'
Ben Watson says it happened at Dulles International Airport
- "You write propaganda, right?" That's what a Customs and Border Protection official apparently asked a journalist while keeping a tight grip on his passport, the
reports. Ben Watson, the news editor at Defense One, says it happened during a seemingly ordinary border check Thursday at Virginia'...
Jul 21, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Billionaire Threatens Netflix Over Documentary
Arron Banks issues warning as his lawyers pursue UK journalist
- A Brexit-loving British billionaire has threatened to sue Netflix over a documentary he hasn't seen yet, the
reports. Arron Banks, who donated a stunning $10 million to Leave.EU, made the legal threat over the upcoming documentary
The Great Hack
. The film looks at how Cambridge Analytica mined...
Disgraced Tech CEO Plans
Unusual Legal Strategy
Jun 29, 2019 3:17 PM CDT
Disgraced Tech CEO Plans Unusual Legal Strategy
Elizabeth Holmes will go after journalist who torpedoed company, reports Bloomberg
- Elizabeth Holmes goes on trial next year on charges of criminal fraud, and Bloomberg reports that her legal team is working on an unexpected legal strategy. They're going after reporter John Carreyrou, whose investigative pieces in the
Wall Street Journal
led to the unraveling of Holmes' blood-testing company, Theranos....
He Had a New Scoop
on R. Kelly. One Problem
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 16, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
He Had a New Scoop on R. Kelly. One Problem
Jim DeRogatis describes the long and winding path to BuzzFeed
- When it comes to major scoops, Jim DeRogatis has had a few. The music critic famously received a fax in November 2000 that made a detailed but anonymous allegation: "Robert’s problem is young girls." Robert, in this case, was R. Kelly, and the story the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.