Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Top Flutist Makes $250K
a Year, and Is Suing Over It
Dec 12, 2018 12:48 PM CST
Top Flutist Makes $250K a Year, and Is Suing Over It
Elizabeth Rowe argues the BSO has refused to pay her the same as her male colleague
- When the Boston Symphony Orchestra's selection committee heard 29-year-old Elizabeth Rowe audition, it didn't know her gender: As Geoff Edgers writes in a lengthy piece for the
, the orchestra's blind auditions dictate that a screen obscures the musician's identity. She landed her "dream...
NBA Star Responds After
Girl's Plea About His Shoes
Nov 30, 2018 9:55 AM CST
NBA Star Responds After Girl's Plea About His Shoes
Riley Morrison wanted to know why Steph Curry sneakers came only in 'boys' sizes
- Riley Morrison knew which shoes she wanted on her feet as she kicked off her basketball season. Unfortunately, she appeared not to have the right feet. "Girls want to rock the Curry 5s too," the 9-year-old Golden State Warriors fan from Napa, Calif., wrote in a letter to...
Trump to G-7:
Don't You Dare
Jun 9, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
Trump to G-7: Don't You Dare Retaliate Against Me
President tells other countries not to counter with tariffs
- Exiting a world summit with characteristic bravado, President Donald Trump delivered a stark warning Saturday to America's trading partners not to counter his decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, the AP reports. Despite his sharp differences with US allies, the president insisted he has a "...
Time's Up on
May 14, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Salma Hayek: Time's Up on Actors' Fat Paychecks
Says Hollywood's leading men can't grab so much of the pie if they're serious about pay equality
- Fresh off a silent protest on the Cannes red carpet over the dearth of women-directed films to play the festival, Salma Hayek is beating the drum for pay equality, telling the
that the leading men in Hollywood need to take a pay cut: "Time's up. You had...
Michael B. Jordan
Mar 8, 2018 2:37 PM CST
Michael B. Jordan Answers Frances McDormand's Call
His production company will require inclusion riders for its projects
- Michael B. Jordan, obviously in need of some good press after indirectly breaking that poor woman's retainer , has announced his production company will require inclusion riders for all of its projects, Mashable reports. According to the
New York Times
star is the first major actor to...
Best State for Women:
the 'North Star' State
Mar 5, 2018 9:20 AM CST
Best State for Women: the 'North Star' State
Minnesota is the best state to live in for gender equality; Louisiana needs to do some work
- Amid the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, WalletHub did some digging to see which US states proved best for women (and which didn't fare so well). The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia across two main metrics: women's economic and social well-being—which includes...
Johnnie Walker May Soon
Have a Lady Friend
Jan 15, 2018 12:38 PM CST
Johnnie Walker May Soon Have a Lady Friend
Parent company Diageo has reportedly filed trademark documents for Jane Walker
- Tarzan had his Jane, and so, too, will Johnnie. Thanks to the "Me Too" and "Time's Up" movements, gender equality is gaining new awareness in the workplace, and now perhaps in your whisky: TMZ reports that Diageo, parent company of the Johnnie Walker brand, put in the...
This Country Made It Illegal
to Pay Women Less Than Men
Jan 3, 2018 12:38 PM CST
This Country Made It Illegal to Pay Women Less Than Men
Iceland is 1st country in world to do so
- Iceland just made it illegal to pay women less than men for the same work, becoming the first country to do so, HuffPost reports. According to Quartz , the new law was passed following little opposition and went into effect Jan. 1. Now public and private employers with more than 25...
10 Best, Worst States
for Women's Equality
Aug 22, 2017 12:25 PM CDT
10 Best, Worst States for Women's Equality
Hawaii and Utah are polar opposites
- The US still has a lot of work to do when it comes to gender equality. The World Economic Forum ranks the US all the way down at 45th in the world when it comes to gender equality, pointing to gaps in wages and unequal representation in business and political...
Hollywood Has Little Room
for Women, On and Off-Screen
Aug 1, 2017 6:14 PM CDT
Hollywood Has Little Room for Women, On and Off-Screen
Women were two-fifths of characters and only one-twelfth of directors since 2007
- In 2017, Hollywood films continue to look less like
and more like the
movie. "Every year we're hopeful that we will actually see change," researcher Stacy Smith tells the AP . "Unfortunately that hope has not quite been realized." Researchers at USC used...
Facebook Study on Gender Bias
'Deeply Disturbing': Employee
May 2, 2017 6:19 PM CDT
Facebook Study on Gender Bias 'Deeply Disturbing': Employee
And Mark Zuckerberg says gender bias at the company is 'an issue'
- An analysis of data—released internally at Facebook last September but made public by the
Wall Street Journal
this week—shows code written by female engineers is rejected 35% more often than code written by male engineers. They also wait 3.9% longer to get their code accepted and face...
On Equal Pay Day,
Good News and Bad News
Apr 4, 2017 12:39 PM CDT
On Equal Pay Day, Good News and Bad News
Tuesday is Equal Pay Day
- It takes a woman until the following Tuesday to earn what a man does in a single week, and more than 15 months to earn what a man does in a year, according to the National Committee on Pay Equity. That's why Tuesday is Equal Pay Day, representing how...
What to Expect During
'Day Without a Woman'
Mar 7, 2017 11:18 AM CST
What to Expect During 'Day Without a Woman'
Some schools are closing for Wednesday's protest
- International Women's Day is March 8, and coinciding with the occasion this year is another event that's prompting some schools to close for the day. BuzzFeed reports that hundreds of teachers in North Carolina and Virginia indicated they'd be absent for Wednesday's "Day Without a...
'Real Women?' Many Aren't
Happy With This NC Billboard
Feb 23, 2017 11:20 AM CST
'Real Women?' Many Aren't Happy With This NC Billboard
Protest organizer says it slams gender equality
- Women are planning this weekend to protest a North Carolina billboard with a message they say is a slam on gender equality, according to media reports. A billboard on a highway between Winston-Salem and Greensboro reads, "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it." It's on Business 40,...
'I am Transgender'
Feb 2, 2017 10:08 AM CST
Texas Mayor: 'I am Transgender'
New Hope Mayor Jess Herbst says she will live as a woman from now on
- Eight months after taking office, the mayor of a North Texas town has announced that she is transgender. Jess Herbst of tiny New Hope is believed to be the first openly transgender mayor in Texas, reports the
New York Times
. In an open letter posted Jan. 23 on the town...
Wonder Woman Just Got Fired
by UN—Maybe for Her Looks
Dec 13, 2016 9:24 AM CST
Wonder Woman Just Got Fired by UN—Maybe for Her Looks
People didn't think how she dressed, looked made her appropriate female empowerment rep
- A United Nations spokesman has confirmed to Reuters that Wonder Woman's reign as an honorary ambassador for gender equality will be ending Friday, even though originally she was meant to punch a card for the UN through 2017. The "scantily clad, curvaceous comic book superhero," as the...
Nov 17, 2016 6:19 PM CST
10 Best US Cities for Working Women
Time to look for work in Topeka
- The gender pay gap in the US stands at around 28% for workers over the age of 15, Smart Asset reports. That means women earn 72 cents for every dollar a man makes. But it's not equal everywhere. For example, women in Provo-Orem, Utah, earn just 45% of what...
List of Inspiring
Nov 2, 2016 10:17 AM CDT
's List of Inspiring Women: Bono
He's 'grateful,' but plenty of women are peeved
's 2016 Women of the Year list honoring inspiring females includes Gwen Stefani, Simone Biles, model Ashley Graham, the woman sexually assaulted by Brock Turner, the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement, and … Bono. For the first time in 27 years, the magazine has named a Man...
Finally, Equal Pay for
Women ... in the Year 2186
Oct 26, 2016 8:03 AM CDT
Finally, Equal Pay for Women ... in the Year 2186
WEF report shows progress on gender wage gap is slowing—or even reversing
- Women may now be equal with men in terms of their drinking , but it could take another 170 years for them to achieve pay parity, Reuters reports. The World Economic Forum said Tuesday that even though last year's guesstimate put gender paycheck equality at around the year 2133, that...
Teens Fired After
Girl Asks for Equal Pay
Jun 24, 2016 6:04 PM CDT
Teens Fired After Girl Asks for Equal Pay
Manager claims employees aren't allowed to discuss wages with co-workers
- When Jensen Walcott and her good friend, Jake Reed, both got hired at Pizza Studio in Kansas City, Kansas, on the same day, the 17-year-olds were initially excited. Then Reed mentioned to Walcott that he'd be making $8.25 per hour. Walcott would only be making $8 per hour,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.