Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Michelangelo of Tennis'
Is Dead at 91
Dec 5, 2022 1:16 PM CST
'Michelangelo of Tennis' Is Dead at 91
Nick Bollettieri coached the likes of Venus and Serena Williams, Andre Agassi, Monica Seles
- Nick Bollettieri, the Hall of Fame tennis coach who worked with some of the sport’s biggest stars, including Andre Agassi and Monica Seles, and founded an academy that revolutionized the development of young athletes, has died. He was 91. Bollettieri died Sunday night at home in Florida after a...
After Loss at US Open, an
Emotional Tribute From Serena
Sep 3, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
After Loss at US Open, an Emotional Tribute From Serena
'"I wouldn't be Serena if there wasn't Venus,' tennis legend said to crowd at Arthur Ashe Stadium
- Leave it to Serena Williams to not want to go quietly, to not want this match, this trip to the US Open, this transcendent career of hers, to really, truly end. Right down to what were, barring a change of heart, the final minutes of her quarter century of excellence...
Williams Sisters Form
Doubles Team at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 9:30 PM CDT
Williams Sisters Form Doubles Team at US Open
Sibling stars lose in first round
Serena and Venus Williams lost in the first round of doubles at the US Open Thursday night, their first time playing together in 4 1/2 years. "I’m so sorry for you that we beat them, but we are so happy that we did it," said Lucie...
Tiger Woods Cheers as
Serena Williams Wins Again
Sep 1, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Tiger Woods Cheers as Serena Williams Wins Again
The golf great encouraged her comeback, she says
- Serena Williams turned to Tiger Woods for his input before she made her recent comeback from a year-long injury absence, the AP reports. On Wednesday night, Woods sat courtside at the US Open, throwing uppercuts in the stands to cheer Williams on to victory. “He’s one of the...
Serena Williams Draws
Record Crowds, Ticket
Prices at US Open
Aug 29, 2022 11:28 PM CDT
Serena Williams Draws Record Crowds, Ticket Prices at US Open
She wins her first match
- They came from far and wide for Serena—no last name required, befitting someone as much an icon as superstar athlete—to see her practice and play and, it turned out, win a match at the US Open on Monday night, turning out in record numbers to fill Arthur Ashe...
Serena Williams Appears on
Meghan's 'Archetypes' Podcast
Aug 23, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Serena Williams Appears on Meghan's 'Archetypes' Podcast
Among other things, Williams discussed her upcoming retirement
- Serena Williams and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, recount challenges they've experienced as working mothers on Meghan’s first podcast, including stories of having to work soon after scary incidents involving their children. Williams, who said recently "the countdown has begun" to her retirement, recounted on Meghan’s debut...
Top 10 Baby Names
Inspired by Sports Stars
Aug 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Top 10 Baby Names Inspired by Sports Stars
Kobe tops the most recent list
- Teachers will be calling on a lot more Kobes in about five years. As KTLA reports, the name "Kobe" tops the list of baby names presumably inspired by sports stars between 2000 and 2021. The list, compiled by Betsperts , found that more than 17,000 infants born in the...
Aug 9, 2022 9:07 AM CDT
Serena Williams 'Evolving Away From Tennis'
Tennis great is sounding like she's retiring, looking to focus on her family and business ventures
- Serena Williams says she's ready to step away from tennis after winning 23 Grand Slam titles, turning her focus to her business interests and having another child, reports the AP . "I'm turning 41 ... and something's got to give," Williams wrote in an essay released Tuesday...
Loses to World No. 115
Jun 28, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Serena Williams Loses to World No. 115
US star exits Wimbledon in first round
- Serena Williams has lost her first singles match in nearly a year, getting beat by 115th-ranked Harmony Tan of France in a third-set tiebreaker at Wimbledon. Williams was two points from victory but could not finish the job and bowed out with a 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (10-7) defeat on Tuesday...
After 51 Weeks,
Serena Williams Returns
Jun 21, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
After 51 Weeks, Serena Williams Returns
She won her first competitive match since Wimbledon slip
- As "What A Feeling" boomed around Devonshire Park, Serena Williams strode onto center court at Eastbourne to a standing ovation for her first competitive tennis match in nearly a year. Around 90 minutes later, fans were on their feet again, celebrating a comeback win for the 23-time Grand Slam...
Serena Asked for
Was Told She Was
Apr 8, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Serena Asked for Lifesaving Help, Was Told She Was Talking 'Crazy'
Tennis star describes advocating for herself in 'Elle'
- Serena Williams has previously opened up about almost dying following the 2017 birth of her daughter, but never before like this. The tennis star describes the horror of four surgeries in a week in a nearly 2,500-word essay in the April edition of
magazine. An emergency C-section , triggered...
Director Is Sorry for
About Williams Sisters
Mar 14, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Director Is Sorry for 'Thoughtless' Remark About Williams Sisters
'You don’t play against the guys, like I have to,' Jane Campion said
- Director Jane Campion has apologized for what she admits was a "thoughtless" comment about Serena and Venus Williams at the Critics Choice Awards Sunday. Campion, who won the Best Director award for
The Power of the Dog
, was slammed as "arrogant" after she praised her fellow nominees, all...
Serena Williams on
Flub: 'Even I Am Overlooked'
Mar 3, 2022 8:14 AM CST
Serena Williams on
Photo Flub: 'Even I Am Overlooked'
She calls out paper for using a photo of sister Venus in story about her own venture fund
- Serena Williams is one of the most famous and recognizable athletes in the world, with no shortage of images of her that the media can use to complement stories profiling her. The tennis great is now taking one of those publications to task, after it used a photo not of...
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
Miss Play but
Top Money List
Aug 30, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
Osaka, Serena Miss Play but Top Money List
Endorsements help put tennis stars well ahead of other female athletes in income
- Young tennis players on their way up might want to also keep their eye on the endorsements. Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams haven't won many tournaments lately—nine between them since February—partly because they've skipped some or missed them because of injuries. But they still top the...
Jun 29, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
Serena Williams Slips, Quits Wimbledon
Champion was seeking her 24th Grand Slam title
- A tearful Serena Williams retired from her opening Wimbledon match Tuesday, limping off Center Court after slipping on the grass while planting her leg for a forehand return. She was in the fifth game of the first set against Aliaksandra Sasnovich when she was injured. Williams took a medical timeout...
Jun 27, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Serena Williams Won't Play in Tokyo
Tennis star doesn't elaborate on reasons but had expressed concern about leaving her daughter behind
- Serena Williams, who's already won four gold medals, said Sunday she's not going to Tokyo for the Summer Olympics. "I'm actually not on the Olympic list, not that I'm aware of," she said to reporters Sunday at Wimbledon in London. "If so, then...
Serena Seeks Trio of
Records at US Open
Sep 1, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Serena Seeks Trio of Records at US Open
But many top-ranked seeds are sitting out
- For Serena Williams, the chase has been long. She's been one Grand Slam win behind Margaret Court's all-time record for 44 months, ever since winning the 2017 Australian Open while pregnant. In four Slam finals since—two at Wimbledon, two in New York—she's finished runner-up. But...
Jul 7, 2020 1:08 PM CDT
Usain Bolt's Daughter Has Perfect Middle Name
- We already knew Usain Bolt was pretty good at running sprints . Now we know he's skilled at naming babies, too: On Tuesday, Bolt revealed that his new daughter is named Olympia Lightning Bolt, reports TMZ . The 33-year-old and his girlfriend, Kasi Bennett, had their first child in May. “...
There's a New
May 24, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
There's a New Highest-Paid Female Athlete
22-year-old tennis star Naomi Osaka sets a yearly income record: $37.4M
- Naomi Osaka has set a record that transcends tennis: The Japanese-born star collected $37.4 million in endorsements and prize money in the past year. That's more than any female athlete has ever made in 12 months, Reuters reports. Maria Sharapova had held the record until now, set in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.