Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's the Opposite of Online
Dating, and It May Be Working
Jun 21, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
It's the Opposite of Online Dating, and It May Be Working
Japanese city of Miyazaki expanding its love-letter program after early success
- A Japanese city's decidedly low-tech venture into matchmaking appears to be working. Authorities in Miyazaki will expand their experiment involving handwritten love letters after numbers exceeded expectations, reports AFP . Those numbers are relatively small for now: About 450 people, mostly in their 20s and 30s, signed up for the...
Want to Get (and Stay)
Married? Here's Where to Go
Jun 12, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Want to Get (and Stay) Married? Here's Where to Go
LawnStarter ranks the best US cities for wedded bliss
- Maybe there actually is something to getting married in front of Cinderella Castle. Orlando, Fla., where the "happiest place on Earth" (Disney World) is located, is just one of the entries making up the top 10 in LawnStarter's ranking of the best US cities to get (and stay)...
Aaron Rodgers Is Going
Through Some Things Online
Feb 22, 2022 11:49 AM CST
Aaron Rodgers Is Going Through Some Things Online
Green Bay QB gushes over ex Shailene Woodley, leaves 'cryptic' hints on NFL future
- Aaron Rodgers and fiancee Shailene Woodley reportedly split up last week, but it seems the Green Bay Packers quarterback is still processing his feelings, and in a very public way. He also may have dropped a hint about his uncertain NFL future. Page Six reports that the 38-year-old posted an...
Oct 18, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Professor Pleads Guilty to Brutal, 4-Hour Attack
Rie Hachiyanagi admits assault on Mount Holyoke colleague
A former professor at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts has pleaded guilty to the vicious assault of a female colleague during a four-hour attack in the victim's home in 2019, reports the
. Prosecutors say Rie Hachiyanagi, 50, attacked her victim with weapons including a fire poker...
How Much Does This
Guy Love His Wife?
Their House Now Spins
Oct 11, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
How Much Does This Guy Love His Wife? Their House Now Spins
Vojin Kusic, 72, designed and built home in Bosnia that rotates so his love can enjoy different views
- It's not exactly on par with India's Taj Mahal, but a family house in a small town in northern Bosnia is, in its own way, a monument to love. The house in Srbac was designed and built by 72-year-old Vojin Kusic. With a green facade and red metal...
Sheep Farmer Couldn't Attend
Aunt's Funeral, Did This Instead
Aug 26, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Sheep Farmer Couldn't Attend Aunt's Funeral, Did This Instead
Australia's Ben Jackson pays tribute to late aunt in viral video
- In lockdown in Guyra, New South Wales, Australian sheep farmer Ben Jackson couldn't travel the 250 miles to Brisbane to attend the funeral of his aunt, who died recently following a two-year battle with cancer. "I felt hopeless, helpless—I didn't really know what to do,"...
'Bonkers' New Dating Show
Could Be Crucial for Netflix
Jun 25, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
'Bonkers' New Dating Show Could Be Crucial for Netflix
'Sexy Beasts' may prove integral to streaming platform's strategy
- First we had Fox's
The Masked Singer
, then Netflix's
Love Is Blind
. Now, a combination of the two.
is a new reality dating show from Netflix that has contestants vying for a love match based on personality only; their looks are concealed by costumes—involving "...
Mar 15, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Couple's Breakup Solution: Handcuffs
These constantly bickering Ukrainians are definitely creative
- When Viktoria Pustovitova told Alexandr Kudlay she wanted to break up with him (again) after a relationship marred by constant fighting, Kudlay didn't write her a love poem, buy her flowers, or blast romantic ballads with a boom box outside her bedroom window. Instead, the 33-year-old Ukrainian had a...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for
Feb 1, 2021 9:05 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Finding Love
Singles may want to check out Florida
- Valentine's Day is fast approaching, which means thoughts of love, for better or worse, may be on everyone's mind. Singles still hoping to find their mate may have better luck in some states than in others, and WalletHub has started the matchmaking process by examining the potentials. The...
Man Sick of Online Dating Has
New $25K Idea to Find a GF
Feb 13, 2020 10:14 AM CST
Man Sick of Online Dating Has New $25K Idea to Find a GF
Match Jeff Gebhart up successfully and you get a lot of cash—but there are caveats
- Jeff Gebhart wants a girlfriend, and he's got $25,000 to help him find one. KCTV reports the 47-year-old from Prairie Village, Kan., became fed up with both online dating and more traditional ways of finding a mate, so the entrepreneur hit upon a more novel idea: Offer a...
He Tweeted About
a 'Hot Girl' in 2009.
His Next Tweet
Dec 19, 2019 9:00 AM CST
He Tweeted About a 'Hot Girl' in 2009. His Next Tweet Was Awesome
Jared Matthews' 2009 joke paid off in the end
- Before logging off Twitter for a decade, Jared Matthews tweeted about meeting "a really hot girl" who was half Japanese and half Filipino. "Think i ruined it by constantly callin her a jalepeno," he wrote on Nov. 28, 2009. Turns out he didn't ruin anything. Matthews,...
Nov 28, 2019 1:50 PM CST
Hospital Staff Helps Fulfill Dying Man's Last Wish
Javier Rodriguez, 23, weds high school sweetheart in Chicago
- "He wanted his tombstone to say 'husband.'" And with Wednesday's wedding inside the tiny chapel at University of Chicago Medical Center, Javier Rodriguez's wish can come true. The 23-year-old wed his high school sweetheart in front of 50 friends, family, and hospital staff just...
Single in America? These
Are the Best Places to Be
Nov 12, 2019 10:35 AM CST
Single in America? These Are the Best Places to Be
Be sure to avoid Pearl City, Hawaii
- Almost half of US adults are unmarried, but WalletHub wants to change that. With the goal "to help America's singles find love," the site compared living costs, including the cost of restaurant meals and movie tickets; the availability of recreational activities; the share of singles; and more...
80 Charged in Massive
Love Scam Run Out of LA
Aug 23, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
80 Charged in Massive Love Scam Run Out of LA
Man named Valentine, another Nigerian citizen are accused masterminds of scheme out of California
- The feds say elderly women and businesses were the perpetrators' targets, and that they managed to squeeze at least $6 million out of their victims in what prosecutors are calling "one of the largest cases of its kind in US history." CNN reports on the arrests Thursday of...
Love Seekers Lost $143M
to Scammers in 2018: FTC
Feb 13, 2019 9:15 AM CST
Love Seekers Lost $143M to Scammers in 2018: FTC
That's more than any other type of consumer fraud found by the agency last year
- If you wanted the Federal Trade Commission's take on Valentine's Day, here it is: Beware of getting scammed seeking love online. The warning comes via the agency's latest revelation, which cites more than 21,000 reports of people getting swindled by internet "paramours" in 2018, NPR...
Looking for Love?
Try These Places
Nov 12, 2018 9:05 AM CST
Looking for Love? Try These Places
WalletHub's 10 best (and worst) picks for singles
- They don't call it "Hotlanta" for nothing. The Georgia capital has attained the No. 1 spot on WalletHub's best cities for singles , based on the site's look at more than 180 metropolitan areas. The metrics considered everything from how much dating activities cost—from cocktail prices...
Stunner on Vietnam's
Sep 24, 2018 8:51 AM CDT
Stunner on Vietnam's
Not What Bachelor Expected
2 contestants vying for Nguyen Quoc Trung's heart end up leaving with each other—well, sort of
host Chris Harrison is known for repeatedly promising "the most dramatic rose ceremony ever," but the hit ABC reality show has nothing on what just happened on its Vietnamese counterpart. Mashable calls it a "surprise plot twist," which was likely an understatement for bachelor Nguyen...
Longtime Friends Marry After
Vow to Wed If Still Single at 50
Jun 6, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Longtime Friends Marry After Vow to Wed If Still Single at 50
'We've always known that, I think, we were meant to be together,' says Minnesota's Kimberley Dean
- They met in high school, dated, broke up, married other people, divorced, and stayed friends through it all—and when they were in their 30s, they made a vow to each other: If they both hit 50 and didn't have new spouses, they'd marry each other. And that'...
Some Dads Call Their Kids.
This One Sent 20K Postcards
Feb 18, 2018 1:05 PM CST
Some Dads Call Their Kids. This One Sent 20K Postcards
Georgia's David Lasseter has been sending his 4 kids postcards for more than 20 years
- If any dad should get an extra-special Father's Day gift this year, it should be David Lasseter. Or at the very least, a postcard. That's what the Georgia patriarch has been sending to his four kids for more than 20 years, ever since he first dropped his oldest...
After Their Spouses'
Came ... Love
Jan 4, 2018 7:41 AM CST
After Their Spouses' High-Profile Deaths Came ... Love
The unlikely/likely match: 'When Breath Becomes Air' widow, 'The Bright Hour' widower
- The memoirs were published to praise and, in both cases, posthumously. Paul Kalanithi's
When Breath Becomes Air
was released in 2016 and chronicled the 37-year-old's experience with lung cancer; the next year came
The Bright Hour
from Nina Riggs, a woman whose life was cut short by breast...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.